Start by marking “Don't Mess with Travis: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Don't Mess with Travis: A Novel

Don't Mess with Travis: A Novel

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A cowboy governor finds himself the accidental leader ofTexas'sright-wing revolution in this irreverent, entertaining debut novel.

Written with the comedicmastery of Christopher Buckley,Don't Mess with Travistells the story of Ben Travis, a no-name Texas senator who becomes governor after a late-night accident takes the lives of the men ahead of him in the chain of command.
Published May 8th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Mess with Travis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Mess with Travis

Holly Herda
First of all, I'll make it clear that I'm not a native Texan. However, after spending some time there, I grew quite fond of the place and people, which is why I read this book. And it didn't disappoint. Despite the hilariously accurate political satire, this books reads almost like a political thriller at times, albeit with a large dose of humor. You will be unable to resist cheering on Governor Ben Travis and his three loyal advisers/partners in crime(a black, conservative, shoe-obsessed profes ...more
Bonnie Green
This is the funniest book I've read in a decade. Smiley has a great talent for crafting highly improbably situations with just enough truth behind them to make them hilariously relatable.
Mathew
WOW! It has been a spell since I have grabbed a novel that hooked me in so well that I just could not put it down until I was finished. A must read for everyone especially with the political and economic season that we are in. I would like to give this a Sixth Star hands down. I will be keeping an eye open for Bob Smiley's future works as they are sure to delight and intrigue as well.
Erin
I picked this up at the library because of the title. My hubby is named Travis and I thought it would be interesting.

I like some political satire, but definitely not this one. I thought it was really bad. Perhaps the only person I would recommend this to was a really conservative native Texan and only if I hated the person.
Jim Wilson
Since I am a sucker for political novels I found this i9nteresting. Wish the author would have carried it out to its logical conclusion. Does get a little preachy from a conservative point of view as part of the exposition. Fun stuff.
Benjamin Spurlock
Bob Smiley serves up a bit of political satire that avoids the bitter bite of modern politics by making his characters so surprisingly likeable. Let it be known- Ben Travis most definitely earned my vote.
Peter
This book is a hoot! Those of a conservative bent will laugh their **s off. The rare liberal with a sense of humor will surely get a chuckle or two. Its always fun when pin of humor pops the left's balloon.
Michelle
Nov 22, 2012 Michelle marked it as didn-t-bother-to-finish
The cover drew me in. The story sounded good, but it just had too much political jargon for me to stomach.
Rachel
A very fun book, particularly for people who love Texas. Fortunately, I happen to be one of those people.
Jason Reese
Definitely a guilty pleasure. This is by no means a great work of literature, but it is a ripping yarn.
Nelea
Loved this book. Thoroughly engaging and plenty of laugh out loud moments.
Steve Mahofski
Steve Mahofski marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Isaiah Burroughs
Isaiah Burroughs marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Chestine Harris
Chestine Harris marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Robert Arias
Robert Arias marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Roland Eppert
Roland Eppert marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Derick
Derick marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Michael Collins
Michael Collins marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Sanklo
Sanklo marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Eduardo
Eduardo marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Bob Smiley began his writing career as a research assistant to the late, great William F. Buckley, Jr. In 2008, he wrote the sports memoir Follow the Roar, chronicling his journey around the globe as he followed Tiger Woods for every hole of an entire season.

His latest project is the satiric novel Don't Mess with Travis, now out from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press.

Don't Mess with Travis h
More about Bob Smiley...
Follow the Roar: Tailing Tiger for All 604 Holes of His Most Spectacular Season Don't Mess with Travis: A Novel Devotions for Super Average Kids 2 Devotions for Super Average Kids, Book 2: 30 Adventures with God for Kids Who Like to Laugh Follow the Roar