Start by marking “Broderii” as Want to Read:
Broderii

Broderii

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  10,699 ratings  ·  978 reviews
From the best–selling author of Persepolis comes this gloriously entertaining and enlightening look into the sex lives of Iranian women. Embroideries gathers together Marjane’s tough–talking grandmother, stoic mother, glamorous and eccentric aunt and their friends and neighbors for an afternoon of tea drinking and talking. Naturally, the subject turns to love, sex and the ...more
Published November 2010 by Editura ART (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Broderii, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broderii

Hippo dari Hongkong
Story about various Iranian women. They're sit back and relax in the afternoon while sipping a hot cup of tea. But not just that, they all have a tale to tell.
And the story begin...

"To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart."
Huwahahaha...

Pertama-tama ketika nge-mark as to read gw pernah komen "Mari ngebordir" , yang dikasi komen sama Lita di message #1 dan saya ngasi komen "wah, rok mini mah cepet keknya ngebordirnya, siap lah" di message #2. Nah, setelah beres membaca b
Valerie
Reading this graphic novel was like being invited to tea with a group of Iranian women, except that the talk turned (interestingly enough) to arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. The images strengthened the words in such a way that when I was done reading it I actually felt like I knew and had spent a little time with these women.

It's interesting, because their conversation makes it seem like they have some power (while living under harsh social restrictions) but as
Hilda
Mar 23, 2008 Hilda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Satrapi fans
I was disappointed by Marjane Satrapi's follow up to the fantastic two volume "Persepolis".

In "Embroideries", the setting is an after-dinner tea party between several women of different ages telling their stories abut love and sex. The potential is fantastic to really delve into the beliefs and traditions surrounding these topics. But rather than tell the complete stories with depth, she merely flits over them, so that you get a taste but little substance. She tells the stories of about 7 women
an
awal na bingung dengan judul na. bordir. kirain diskusi selama kisah ini berlangsung ketika acara membordir bersama, atau mungkin kegiatan membordir (yang notabene kebanyakan dikerjakan oleh perempuan) membuat para perempuan ini saling bercerita, ngobrol dengan peserta lain. ternyata... jauh banget hubungan na.

kegiatan ini dilakukan bukan saat membaut bordir tapi saat minum teh. dan bordir di sini menggunakan media yang berbeda. tidak hanya sekedar obrolan, tapi kalau dicermati lebih lagi...

Ceilidh
A much more chatty account than Persepolis but one full of warmth, humour and a group of fascinating women sharing their wisdom. Through the eyes of a 21st century British feminist, the women's ideas of empowerment and control in relationships are a little tough to swallow, but there's something undeniably powerful in the way these stories are told to us: no mincing of words, just the truth, with all the sadness and humour contained within.
Tukang Kueh Keren
Embroideries adalah buku karya Marjane Satrapi kedua yang saya baca. Sebelumnya saya beruntung memperoleh buku Revolusi Iran, Dongeng seorang anak ditumpukan buku bekas di Pasar Buku Palasari.

Jika dalam Dongeng seorang anak, cerita-cerita yang disajikan cukup "kelam", bagaimana Marji kecil menghadapi revolusi Iran, dalam Embroideries (diterjemahkan menjadi Bordir) dibahas kisah lucu sekaligus getir yang terjadi di antara para wanita Iran tersebut.

Dibuka dengan makan siang bersama di rumah keluar
Seth Hahne
The embroideries of the book’s title refer to the surgical restoration of one’s vagina to a state similar to that of a virgin. Whether this includes hymen reconstruction or merely the tightening of an age-and-use-worn genitalia, Satrapi’s book never makes clear. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, probably. What is equally unclear is the reason for naming her extended anecdote in this way. Really, I just don’t know.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi

Embroideries covers the ground of a single afternoon’s conversation between ten
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Sometimes funny, and sometimes quite horrifying but all rather eye-opening. I was really impressed by how much Iranian culture, history, and humour could be infused into what amounted to be a simple, every-day gathering of Iranian woman having tea and a "gap-shap" (gossip)… The women talk about first loves, sex, arranged marriages, forced marriages and husbands in general.

-I was quite surprised by how modern and forward thinking some of the women were — having plastic surgery, taking l
FeReSHte

ساتراپی میگه همه ما داستان خودمون رو داریم اما این که چه طور روایتشون کنیم مهمه

داستان انتخابی ساتراپی تو این اثر هم به اندازه روایت مجموعه پرسپولیس برای
ما اشناست هرچند از لحاظ اهمیت موضوعی می تونه تو سطح پایین تری قرار بگیره

بعد از یک مهمونی ناهار، زنان خانواده تو اتاقی جدا دور از مردانشون دور هم
جمع میشن به صرف چای و البته غیبت
!!!

هر کدوم از زنان این جمع با سن و سلیقه های متفاوت به عنوان نماینده یک سبک فکری و لایف استایل از نظراتشون راجع به عشق ، سکس ، ازدواج ، پیش داوری ها و تعصبات بیجا ، راز
Margie
Dec 22, 2014 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Hmm...which shelf to file this on? Between this and The Proof of the Honey, I need only one more book before I add a "Middle Eastern-not-quite-erotica" shelf.

This isn't erotica, of course. There's nothing even remotely erotic about older Iranian women sitting around laughing about being married off as teenagers to old men, or about how funny-looking penises are. I could almost add this to my "humor" shelf instead. Reading it was like joining a bunch of women friends or sisters and chatting about
Eleni (OverThePlace)
Review στο: https://overtheplace.wordpress.com/20...

Τη Marjane Satrapi γνώρισα από το graphic novel Persepolis, μία αυτοβιογραφική ιστορία ενηλικίωσης μιας κοπέλας που γεννήθηκε και μεγάλωσε στο Ιράν. Οι γονείς της ήταν Μαρξιστές σε μία χώρα εξτρεμιστικής θρησκείας και πολιτεύματος. Επέλεξαν λοιπόν να στείλουν τη κόρη τους να σπουδάσει στη Βιέννη και τώρα πλέον ζει μόνιμα στο Παρίσι. Το Persepolis ήταν τολμηρό, ειλικρινές και απίστευτα αστείο. Δεν περίμενα λοιπόν τίποτα λιγότερο από το Embroider
Elizabeth
Brief, gossipy exploration of the sexual morality of young and old women living in Iran. Pithy banter and sharp wit about marriage, love, and sex is not quite enough to push this into the three star category. But almost.
Kareena
“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.”
Paul Eckert
Ever wanted to listen to a bunch of Iranian women riff on their love lives? Wait no more.

That's a simplistic overview of this book, but the book doesn't really set out to be overtly profound, either.

Satrapi uses her engaging black-and-white drawings to illustrate a conversation of her women relatives discussing their first loves, losing their virginity, their marriages to horrible men, and sexual misadventures. The stories are told by various women of varying age with different attitudes towar
Veeral
A funny little romp through the sex lives of Iranian women by the author of a more serious work, Persepolis. Embroideries is a very quick and light read which could be read in about 30 minutes. So, if you happen to be in a bookstore next time, you can read through it without even paying for it!

But make sure you buy and treasure Persepolis if you haven't already read Marjane Satrapi's more serious works.
Federiken Masters
Feb 03, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del género y de la autora
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Linda obra, aunque quizás no la pude disfrutar del todo por dos razones: Me gustó mucho más Persépolis, así que aunque la haya pasado bien leyéndola pensaba "pero Persépolis está mejor". Y porque soy hombre. Sé que las señoras que se la pasan hablando mal de mi género durante todo el libro tienen muy buenas razones para hacerlo, pero eso no quita que sea un libro pensado por y para mujeres. Las historias sentimento-sexuales de estas mujeres son divertidas, emotivas, interesantes y están muy bien ...more
Aurora  Fitzrovia
Ich bin etwas hin und hergerissen. Einerseits war es durchaus unterhaltsam, aber andererseits hätten die Geschichten ruhig etwas länger sein können...
Jordan
I was amused, engaged... and rattled by this deceptively deep little book.

When I picked it up (out of the trash (sort of)), I didn't expect too much from a very short graphic novel.

But then again, I didn't consider what Marjane Satrapi can do with a very short graphic novel.

The women in Marjane's life recount their sexcapades and romantic disasters over (possibly opium-infused) tea one night. While some stories are raunchy and a tad nasty (body fluids are involved), others are jarring: women p
Jenny
I love Satrapi. She's funny and original. She writes about things that other writers shy away from. I love that she uses her own life and people that she knows to tell stories. Embroideries is a story about women and what they talk about when there are no men present. They talk about other women and about men. They gossip. They unburden their hearts. They talk about sex. They share personal memories and triumphs and losses. It's a beautiful story and a funny one, a snapshot of Iranian culture an ...more
verbava
іранські жінки мають чимало страшних історій до розповідання. у цих конкретних, які зібралися попліткувати після якогось, мабуть, родинного свята, усе зазвичай закінчується добре (їх би тут не було, якби закінчувалося погано, чи не так?), тому зовсім макабричних розповідей тут нема – але є достатньо жартівливих зовні й лячних, коли про них замислитися.
My first graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi.
I was over the moon when I finally found her books.
so I decided to start with this one because the cover is so lovely.

I enjoyed the stories in this, and the drawings added up a great deal to that.
It is short. so it can be read in one hour if you want to. but I decided to take my time since I'm in a place where English/Arabic books can't be found.

My favorite story was the white magic one, it was so hilarious.
There was also the story about faking virg
Janiece
This is the first graphic novel I have read, and what a delight it was. The combined effect of the words and the pictures was like being a fly on the wall at afternoon tea with a bunch of Iranian women. It's a window into a world which is different to mine, and yet I could still relate to much of it. Serious themes are touched on as part of the afternoon's gossip - you can take that as far as you want to, leaving it on the surface or exploring it further. At the same time there is humour, much o ...more
ellena
Saya merekomendasikan Embroideries.

Pengarang novel grafis Persepolis ini menghadirkan sudut pandang mengenai perempuan dan polemik kehidupan seksualnya di tengah ruang sosial, Iran pada khususnya, yang sarat nilai patriarkis dengan gaya yang jujur dan 'witty'.

Bagaimana merekayasa keperawanan? Bagaimana membuat laki-laki terpikat?
Apakah benar penting operasi payudara itu? Bagaimana dengan jahit selapur dara?

Setiap siasat untuk menempatkan diri dengan kesesuaian di antara nilai-nilai patriarki yan
Maria
Sep 18, 2012 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Cynthia
Took it last night to "read up a little bit before sleeping"... I ended up sleeping a little bit after reading.
Nicole
Very fun and short. Feels like gossip from a really interesting perspective.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Embroideries, Marjane Satrapi, Anjali Singh (Translator)
Sonshu
"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul.”

And so the story begins post dinner when Marjane is sent to prepare the samovar and her grandmother, mother and her grandmother’s friends are busy tidying up. The book illustrates what seems to be a normal day for the women of Tehran and instantly you feel like you’ve been invited to this very special gathering.

There was a time, a few years ago when I associated the idea of a graphic novel with superheroes and children, but illustrators
Amélie
Feuilleter les pages de cette bédé, c’est être convié à une séance de thé à Téhéran, avec toute une trâlée de femmes iraniennes qui font honneur à la maxime qui ouvre le livre : « parler derrière le dos des autres est le ventilateur du cœur… »

Dans le confort du salon de la grand-mère de Satrapi, les anecdotes se succèdent, chacune des femmes prenant la parole pour raconter une histoire, la leur ou celle d’une autre. Les thèmes abordés sont ceux auxquels on pourrait s’attendre : le mariage, les h
Endah
Sebelum aku menulis tentang buku ini, aku ingin berterima kasih kepada Susi alias Ibutio alias Tukang Kue, yang telah membarterkan buku ini. Kalau tidak terjadi pertukaran tersebut, mungkin saja aku tidak pernah mengenal Marjane Satrapi, penulis cewek asal Teheran yang juga menulis komik Persepolis itu. Aku sih belum baca komik tersebut, tetapi gara-gara Embroideries ini, aku akan membacanya (dan juga Chicken with Plums).

Baiklah, kini aku akan ngoceh sedikit ihwal Bordir.

Di Iran, seperti terdapa
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
If you have not read Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis 1 and Persepolis 2, you need to run (not walk) and grab those books to read. You are missing out on a great treat. I read them more than a year ago, and never knew she had written more memoirs. I was introduced to Embroideries when I joined the Women Unbound Challenge. I picked the book to read yesterday, and finished it in a half hour. I couldn't put it down, it was hilarious, and moving!

Embroideries captures the discussions between 9 women one
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
  • Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China
  • Shortcomings
  • We Are On Our Own
  • Will Eisner's New York: Life in the Big City
  • I Love Led Zeppelin
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
More about Marjane Satrapi...
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1-2) The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4) Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (Persepolis, #3-4) Persepolis, Volume 1 (Persepolis, #1) Chicken with Plums

“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.” 285 likes