A Walk in the Dark

A Walk in the Dark (I'll Be Home for Christmas)

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A year ago, Brandon was Jared’s roommate’s boyfriend—and completely off limits. Rex and Brandon have since broken up, and now, as Christmas approaches, Jared runs into Brandon again… and wonders if Brandon might return his once-helpless longing.
Published December 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Walk in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk in the Dark

Serena Yates
Very sweet and romantic story about Jared, a man who lives with his friend, Rex, and falls in love with Rex’s boyfriend, Brandon. Jared walks Brandon to the subway and they sort of become friends as well, but Jared suffers because Brandon seems unattainable.

Jared feels he has no right to interfere in Brandon’s relationship, even though Rex is an idiot who doesn’t know what he wants and doesn’t treat Brandon right. As time passes and Brandon begins to see the truth, Jared still holds back. He is...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
This was a cute story but really short.
To short to really get much out of it, but compared to the others on the DSP Calendar it was nice.
(view spoiler)
Ami
The blurb tells exactly what the story is. It's short and sweet -- Jared is a kind man who doesn't make a move on Brandon, when the guy is still dating his friend. The story ends with a hopeful note, but truth be told, it's not very memorable for me personally.
Enny
“How did I not notice how cute you were before?” .… one page later “I had this dumb crush on you the whole time I dated Rex. Is that awful?” *rolls eyes
Meggie
This was enjoyable short story, about dating wrong guys and being blind on what you could have before. The plot was easy and enjoyable, but to short.
Chris
Good short holiday m/m romance about a guy with a crush on his roommate's boyfriend. This needed to be just a bit longer to be a satisfying read.
Sadonna
At first I didn't think I would like this story. Rex seems to be pretty much an asshole and I still don't actually understand why Jared put up with him. I don't care that he is loyal and smart. It's like dating a guy and thinking he's really great and then going to a restaurant and seeing him treat the waitstaff like crap for no reason. He can't possibly be THAT nice of a guy if he treats a server that way.

Anyway, I liked how Jared never acted on his feeling for Brandon while he was with Rex -...more
Ana
Phaney
Mar 26, 2013 Phaney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
2012 Review:

A cute little story. It felt a little abbreviated in the sense that all the really fun bits were skipped. It just always led to a good moment, let that moment sink in for about a paragraph, and then skipped to the consecutive scene. As for depth, well… no. But again, it was cute.

I looked into the author a bit earlier and I think she’s written some really promising stuff that I’ll want to explore at another time. All or most of it single perspective, though. I think?
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Starts at 1% and ends at 83%

Too short to really be good. No time for any development. Not really a Christmas story except it happens around the holidays

So first half is him listening to the guy he for some reason loves fuck his roommate. And then cover for roommate so he can cheat on the guy he loves. Yeah so Christmas

then a year later they get together and nothing is developed but they'll be HEA

1.5 stars maybe but i'll round up to two
Ann
I bought this short story from Dreamspinner to sample this author after reading about her books on the The Armchair Reader blog. After reading it, I bought two more of the author's books right away. Jared was such a gentleman I melted. Very sweet short story!
Elizabeth H.
I really wavered between 3 and 4 stars with this short story, but it's just so insubstantial that I didn't feel as if I knew any of the characters. I enjoyed it, just.... Not enough.
melek
Jared's in-love with his roommates boyfriend.
Rachel
Very sweet story, but I do agree with some of the others who said that the length of this story hurt the overall read. But for the most part, I enjoyed this one!
Cole Riann
Reviewed as part of all of Kate McMurray's shorts at The Armchair Reader for Kate McMurray Week!

3.75 stars (cute!)
Cheryl
This is a very short story. There wasn't much character development. It's cute but could of been better.
jules0623
Cute, although I really wanted to see Rex's reaction!
dx
Tiren
Tiren added it
Jul 20, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kate McMurray is a nonfiction editor. Also, she is crafty (mostly knitting and sewing, but she also wields power tools), she plays the violin, and she dabbles in various other pursuits. She’s maybe a tiny bit obsessed with baseball. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with a presumptuous cat.
More about Kate McMurray...
Out in the Field Four Corners Lead Us Not (Love is Always Write) Blind Items The Boy Next Door