Start by marking “A Gift of Mistletoe” as Want to Read:
A Gift of Mistletoe

A Gift of Mistletoe (I'll Be Home for Christmas)

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  18 reviews
After heading home from university for Christmas, Harry takes a gamble and confesses his feelings to Theodore Dorry, his brother’s tutor. Magically, Theodore feels the same way, but both know the relationship doesn’t have much hope of surviving the ramifications of society’s judgments. However, for those with the courage to try, sometimes Christmas can grant miracles.
Published December 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Gift of Mistletoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift of Mistletoe

Serena Yates
This story has a historical feel to it, but, in a way is actually timeless. It is sure to have taken place in the past, since Harry and Theodore are talking about society’s restrictions on their blossoming relationship. While they might have been more severe in this past version of the world, the same prejudice and restrictions still exist for many same-sex coupes today. The tentative steps these two men take toward each other and the uncertain future they face is real, even today.

I liked the qu
Karen
Jan 04, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karen by: Kim
What I enjoyed about this gentle short story: a holiday theme, subtle relationship-building, a concisely provided backstory, likable main characters, and a nice balance between the satisfaction of reading about a blooming love and the angst generated by its precarious future.

There were a few things that I felt caused a disruption to the flow. The narrative is in third person present tense, which reads kind of like a script: "Harry Rapshire checks his watch, frowns at the time, then slips it back
Dee Wy
First let me say that the cover used for this short story is unfortunate, as the story itself has the feel of an historical piece and a chaste one at that.

I was at first surprised to find that the story is written in third person, present tense, which I've seldom seen, and I found myself wanting to change is to was, but I got over it quickly. This sweet and tender beginning to a romance was enjoyable with characters that felt real to me. My only complaint is that it seemed to end rather abruptly
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I would have liked this very short historical better if I could have seen a bit more of why Harry and Theodore are "taken" with each other. Either some of the time before Harry left for the University or maybe a bit of an epilogue to see a bit of what the future holds for them, as it was ,I felt left hanging, what do they see in each other, and what will become of them.
(view spoiler)
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Starts at 1% and ends at 86%

First I don't. Are for historicals or secret relationships. Hard for me to enjoy a story where they'll be murdered or outcast for being gay. Not what I want to read about in fiction romance.

That and this bored me silly. Made it to 44% before giving up. It's written in distant 3rd person which I always hate so it kept me from connecting with the characters. Plus they are just in love but the reader as no idea why they love each other or even know them really. So yeah
Meggie
This writing style didn't work for me. I couldn't bland into the characters and into their own emotions. In general the plot was realistic and somehow sweet in tragic way. For me it was definitely to short and to undeveloped, but it had a good promised plot.
Chris
Very good short m/m historical holiday romance about a young man returning home from university for the holidays, hoping he'll be brave enough to tell his former tutor of his attraction.
Jayhjay
This review was originally posted on my blog Joyfully Jay.

A Gift of Mistletoe is a short story published as part of the Dreamspinner Press holiday anthology. It follows Harry Rapshire as he returns home from school for the Christmas holiday. Harry is looking forward to seeing his family, and most especially his former tutor Theodore Dorry. Harry has feelings for the man, but isn't sure how exactly to tell him. As Harry awaits the train, he jots down some notes about what he wants to say. Notes t
Phaney
This is not a perfect book, but it was lovely. Completely different from the usual fare, of course, with the historical setting and the acknowledgement of all that entails.
I still want to believe it will end happily down the line – even if that’s foolish. But this story – tentative and underplayed, yet somehow real – touched me. A few sentences gave me that particular thrill, the kind that keeps me flipping back to stare at the sentence again.

The story is not delving deeply into personalities or
Susan
This was an historical short story about the beginnings of a relationship between a man and his former tutor. I'm not usually a fan of historical stories because of the increased difficulties that couples faced but there is a message of hope in this tale. I would love to know if the dreams of these two men come true.
melek
I think its set back in the days When harry comes home he see theo his ex tutor he cant help his feelings toward each other and wishes one day things can be different for them.
Melora
This was a fairly sweet story, but the choice of writing tense kept me too far removed to really appreciate everything. Emotions and actions seemed subtle and subdued rather than grand and momentous.
Sadonna
This seems like a nice historical setting and I liked the MCs. I felt a little bit cheated because it seemed like the ending is really the beginning. Will there be more about these characters?
Lucy
It was okay, and I would have liked the characters, but it ended when it seemed like it should be just getting started.
Tamela
A very sweet Victorian style love story. I would say warm, but they always seemed to be cold :) Enjoyable and refreshing.
Carey
Very sweet.
dx
Dec 15, 2011 dx rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: have
2.5
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Lillian Francis
Lillian Francis marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Harry
Harry added it
Sep 15, 2014
B
B added it
Nov 24, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
4902054

If there are two types of people in the world, Alex Whitehall probably isn't one of them, despite being a person. Her—for lack of a better pronoun—favorite pastimes include reading, horseback riding, reading, watching geek-tastic television, reading, and running. While Alex prefers writing over doing anything else (except maybe reading), sometimes she emerges from the cave to be social and to hun
More about Alex Whitehall...
An Adventure In Beginnings Hold Me Tight Soups and Diners Planting Seeds Mark of the Familiar