The Radical Disciple

The Radical Disciple

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Melalui buku Murid yang Radikal, John Stott menyampaikan pesan perpisahan di akhir pelayanannya ke gereja-gereja di seluruh dunia yang pernah mengenal teladannya di abad ke dua puluh ini. Dia membukakan bagi kita, sampai ke akar-akarnya, apa artinya mengikut Yesus, melalui eksplorasi delapan aspek penting yang sering diabaikan oleh orang-orang Kristen.

Dalam bukunya yang te...more
Published November 2010 by Literatur Perkantas Jatim (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Radical Disciple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Radical Disciple

Cbarrett
I picked this up for a quick read on a study break whim at Barnes and Noble; something more than a skim and less than an every-word read. I don't know if the quick read was more poignant because the author is now absent from the body and present with the Lord, but this simple book is quite soul-gripping. I am usually a little put off by books that claim to be radical. But Stott calls for a different kind of radical than the one that makes you feel guilty for giving a homeless guy a 5 dollar bill...more
Travis
John Stott is a name that has been well known in Christian ministry and teaching for many, many years. In The Radical Disciple, Stott addresses eight aspects of our Christian lives that he believes need to be more strongly emphasized in Christian living. These aspects include:

1. Non-conformity
6. Balance
7. Dependence
8. Death

Positives

Stott writes with a clarity and eloquence that are not often present in our more modern, more breez...more
Joseph McBee
Here we have a man of God very bear the end of his life examining the state of modern evangelical Christianity and noticing some glaring omissions in our discipleship. His list is arbitrary of his own admission, yet it is also poignant and highly perceptive as well.

The three great challenges facing Christians today according to Stott are pluralism, materialism, and ethical relativism. These challenges express themselves in various ways and to combat them we must embrace the biblical concepts of...more
Jared Totten
With The Radical Disciple, John Stott pens his final chapters in a writing career and public life that has impacted countless Christian lives for generations now and will certainly continue to do so for generations to come. I cannot imagine what goes through an author's mind as they write their final words as Stott, at eighty-eight, knew this would be his last book after announcing his retirement from public ministry in 2007. Contained herein are not only his parting thoughts for the Christian c...more
Bob
John Stott acknowledged in his postscript to this book that this was his valedictory work. A year later, this radical disciple met the Lord he had followed for so many years.

While this is not Stott's best work (I would contend that The Cross of Christ is), this is a wonderful capstone to a life of preaching and writing. What he addresses here are some of the neglected aspects of discipleship, and because of this, we hear included under discipleship some topics not often discussed in this regard...more
Tim Hoiland
think rather highly of the late John Stott for a number of reasons. First, there’s his longtime involvement with The Lausanne Movement, including his role as “chief architect” of the Lausanne Covenant. I think we can all still learn a great deal from his understanding of the relationship between evangelism and social action. And I’m grateful for the way he devoted so much of his life work to the church in the Global South through Langham Partnership. Then again, maybe my interest is really just...more
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

I have heard so many men and women, whom I highly respect, quote from John Stott's books that it was with great anticipation that I listened to this audio version of his book. And at first, despite the depth of thought, I readily nodded in silent agreement as I listened. However, after a few chapters I was nodding less and less and and spending more time tilting my head to the side as I paused to try and "get" what he was saying.

While much of this book is wonderful, and Biblical, his...more
Josh Morgan
This review first appeared on my blog, Jacob's Café: http://jacobscafe.blogspot.com

The idea of discipleship is a hot topic right now, as is the idea of being a "radical" follower of Christ. Different people have different takes on what discipleship and radical actually mean. In what may be his last book, John Stott writes about what he has learned is the nature of a radical disciple in The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of our Calling. He addresses eight topics: nonconformity, Christli...more
Danny
Jun 10, 2010 Danny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Enjoyed this look at discipleship. Some of my favorite quotes include:
“Here then is God’s call to a radical discipleship, to a radical nonconformity to the surrounding culture. It is a call to develop a Christian counterculture, a call to engagement without compromise.”
“We have considered four major secular trends that threaten to engulf the Christian community. In the face of these we are all called not to feeble-minded conformity but to radical nonconformity. Over against the challenge of plur...more
htanzil
The Radical Discpile adalah buku terakhir karya seorang raksaksa iman, John Stott (1921-2011). Siapa John Stott?

John Stott dikenal di seluruh dunia sebagai seorang pengkhotbah, penginjil, dan penulis asal Inggris. Selama bertahun-tahun menjabat sebagai rektor dari dari gereja All Souls di London. Ia juga menjadi perancang utama terbentuknya Lausanne Covenant (1974). Ia telah menghasilkan puluhan buku yang telah terjual jutaan kopi di seluruh dunia dan diterjemahkan dalam puluhan bahasa. John St...more
Adam Shields
Short review: This is John Stott's last book. He focuses on discipleship as an elder disciple. This is a very unpretentious book. I think it is the most readable of Stott's books that I have read. It is very humble in tone and consciously speaking as a last chance to talk.

The best chapter was the one on dependence. I do not think I have read another treatment on dependence quite like it. Stott shows that dependence, the created order of humanity is not to be avoided but embraced. So as children...more
Ivan
John Stott (1921-2011) died at the ripe old age of 90, leaving a beautiful legacy of faithfulness to the Lord. Although I take issue with a few of his views, I am grateful for this man who through his writings has taught me so much about standing in awe of the cross and of striving to be a faithful disciple of Christ. Two chapters in this short book are gold: the chapter on "dependence" and the chapter on "death."

"Death is unnatural and unpleasant," Stott wrote in this his 'farewell' and final b...more
Mark Peskett
This last book written by the late, great father-figure of evangelical Christianity is an easily digestible yet moving and sobering reminder of the nature of discipleship. One cannot rightly read this book without remembering the character and wisdom of the author and thereby really taking his words on board. Definitely a book I will return to from time to time.
Tracey
This book was challenging and made evaluate my Christian walk. Some of the chapters seemed a little odd for this type of book. But as with all books of this nature, I glean what I can and leave the rest behind. Sometimes rereading a book, I will see something in a different light and take away a new perspective. I discussed this book with group of people which brought some different perspectives.
Gill
This book was recommended by a friend and is accessible and incisive.Because of this it challenges the reader to think for themselves and confront challenging questions about what it means to love Christ not as the world would suggest Christians should but rather how gain and keep following the path of Christ himself.On such a path one encounters love and suffering joy and hope pride and humility.The knowledge of peace at the heart of a faith is one of the satifactions of such a journey .Thank y...more
Clara Roberts
Stott listed eight characteristics of a radical disciple. Nonconforming to the culture around us, Christlikeness in behaviour, maturity in growth, creation care in our ecological world, (this surprised me), simplicity in personal lifestyle, balance (using metaphors from the Bible as babies, stones, priest, foreigners, and servants),dependence as we grow, and death. This was the last book written by Stott before he died. The book did not disappoint. I found it to be one of his best books.
Tim
Stott's book Radical Disciple is not a radical departure for those familiar with his work. This last publication of the long serving Christian leader is solid and sure and a challenge to the world church he worries has "growth without depth." His choice of eight topics: nonconformity, Christlikeness, maturity, creation care, simplicity, balance, dependence, and death are refreshing and not stock answers to the question of what Christians should be about. A brief and profitable read.
Froilan Diaz
Stott wrote a really good work here. I tended to disagree a little with his explanations of noncomformity. Some of the things he discussed did not seem to make sense lining up under the subject of noncomformity. Other than that this book is dead on! This book really seems to carry the weight of an apostolic call for the church to wake up and get her act together. I thank Stott for this book.
Vickey
Interesting content and take on Christian life. Stott did a good job of breaking down the various steps to achieving what he describes a radical discipleship. The last few chapters are written with the slant of a man who sees the end of his life and even shares some of the more vulnerable experiences he has surrounding aging and thoughts on death. Not a bad read.
Brenda
This is a compact, to the point little book with accurate, biblically based thoughts on how we should live our lives as Christians. "Uncle John", as he was known was a to the point kind of theologian. He believed that we literally practice what we preach. Are you rich? Why? don't you know that there are people who are starving? Nuf said.
Krista
super super good. i think towards the end it gets a bit weird, if i remember right. otherwise, great book.
Sam
Good book. Kind of "devotionally" in format, but not in content. I was happily surprised by his section on Paul being in danger of death, "I die daily." explanation. Overall, it was a good book to read on discipleship. Recommended? Yea.

Note: This is I think the last book he wrote before he died.
adllto
Uncle John's swansong and what and ending for an incredible man. An extract of those things he feels important and neglected in thinking about discipleship. Two aspects caught my thoughts nonconformity and dependence and have me thinking at the moment. read in one evening before bed.
Roger Miller
The first and last of this book are the best. In the middle John goes on a tangent on simplicity and stewardship that to me was too much opinion and politics and not scripture. The best sections were those on Christ likeness and humility. Very fine scholarly work on discipleship.
Chris Schutte
Vintage Stott - clearly communicated reflections on "neglected" aspects of following Jesus. I was especially challenged by the chapters on creation care and simplicity, and profoundly moved by his chapter on death, written as he himself was approaching his own.
Brandon Mills
Great book. This raised a lot of awareness on some things that need addressed within the church. If I had a complaint it would be that awareness is where it stops. It raises questions without answers. Best results would be read with a group for discussion.
Josh S
A small book, but with much wisdom. His blunt and succinct assessment of what it really means to follow Jesus is also his final book. A fitting summary to a lifetime of incredibly valuable writing by Mr. Stott! well worth a read!
Lew
For the most part while reading this book I came away with a, "this is ok, but not great feeling," the strong chapters more then make up for the weaker chapters and the last one on death is worth the price of the book alone.
Mano Chil
Although it's a small book, I was expecting a more radical approach to convey the ideas of Christianity and Christian living.

But I guess this was John's last book before he passed away.
Ryan
Stott's last book. I found his epilogue surprising...that it was on the state of books, but it was interesting. I particularly liked his chapters on christlikeness and dependence.
  • Young, Restless, Reformed: A Journalist's Journey with the New Calvinists
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission
  • The Enemy Within, Straight Talk About the Power and Defeat of Sin
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Why Johnny Can't Preach: The Media Have Shaped the Messengers
John R. W. Stott is known worldwide as a preacher, evangelist and teacher of Scripture. He was ordained in 1945 and for most of his years has served in various capacities at All Souls Church in London, where he carried out an effective urban pastoral ministry. A leader among evangelicals in Britain, the United States and even around the world, Stott was a principal framer of the landmark Lausanne...more
More about John R.W. Stott...
Basic Christianity (IVP Classics) The Cross of Christ Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today The Message of the Sermon on the Mount The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World

“We state and commend the faith only in so far as we go out and put ourselves inside the doubts of the doubters, the questions of the questioners and the loneliness of those who have lost their way.” 1 likes
“The church has a double responsibility in relation to the world around us. On the one hand we are to live, serve and witness in the world. On the other hand we are to avoid becoming contaminated by the world. So we are neither to seek to preserve our holiness by escaping from the world nor to sacrifice our holiness by conforming to the world” 0 likes