Start by marking “A Present in Swaddling Clothes” as Want to Read:
A Present in Swaddling Clothes

A Present in Swaddling Clothes

Part of Dreamspinner Press's Advent Calendar

Josh held baby Vivian when she took her first breath in the world, and he has loved every breath she’s taken since. Now Vivian needs a home—a “for real” forever home, and Josh would love to be the one who takes her in. But Josh’s partner, Sammy, isn’t a fan of children of any size or stamp. Will Josh have to choose between being
Published December 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Present in Swaddling Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Present in Swaddling Clothes

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Dec 21, 2011 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
Boring... Uninspired...Disgusting Sex...No Plot... I could go on...

(view spoiler)
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Oh, Andrew Grey, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?

This story gave me a little bit of The Rage.

There's Josh who says the baby is his first concern yet his actions prove exactly the opposite.
When the baby almost dies Josh doesn't call the ambulance for her. No, he calls the ambulance for his sister who's not dying; not even a little.
When Josh figures out that he'll have to take care of the baby for a while because he's named as guardian he says that he'll only keep the baby if Sammy, his life partner, wa
Deeze
Dec 07, 2012 Deeze rated it really liked it
3.5 This is a lovely gentle little read, full of love and caring.

As with most shorts I would of loved a little bit more, but overall this worked pretty much perfectly.

For all looking for that touching sweet feel good Christmas fic.
MsMiz (Tina)
Dec 03, 2011 MsMiz (Tina) rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
2.5 - This will be a hard sell for the holiday season. The story opens with Josh in the delivery room with his sister Nicky who has had a rough go of it, including bouts with mental illness. 3 weeks after the baby is born, it just becomes too much for Nicky and bad things happen to her and possibly the baby as well. Josh and his partner of 15 years then have to decide if they can welcome a baby full time into their home and hearts.

The good side to this story, Josh and Sammy - their love, respec
Not even the baby saved this one for me :0(
Serena Yates
Dec 24, 2011 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
This is a touching story which contains a lot of love, hope and Christmas spirit, while at the same time giving a thoughtful message about priorities in your life. It also touches on the topic of those who cannot cope – a tough, but very real issue for many among us who often get forgotten. As is fitting for a Christmas story, the happy feelings outweigh the sad, but this story manages to do that without forgetting or ignoring the other side of the coin of life.

Josh has always been very supporti
Edina Rose
Dec 22, 2011 Edina Rose rated it liked it
Short story about... well, accepting to raise a newborn baby when you have NEVER wanted to have a baby at all.

Sammy and Josh have been together for 15 years I think, and from the beginning, Sammy told Josh that he didn't want kids at all. So Josh had to let go his dream of being a father in order to be with Sammy and he was OK with that.

Problem arises when Josh's mentally ill sister, single mum Nicky, gives birth to a baby girl. Nicky is unable to look after the baby and has chosen Josh as the
Melanie
Dec 02, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
Dreamspinners Blurb:

"Josh held baby Vivien when she took her first breath in the world, and he has loved every breath she’s taken since. Now Vivien needs a home—a “for real” forever home, and Josh would love to be the one who takes her in. But Josh’s partner, Sammy, isn’t a fan of children of any size or stamp. Will Josh have to choose between being a lover or a parent, or will Josh’s niece work her baby magic on Sammy, giving them all the best Christmas present of all?"

I found this to be a touc
Elizabeth H.
Jan 09, 2012 Elizabeth H. rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4.0.

While this isn't a traditional Christmas story at all (I suspect it was originally written without the Christmas overlay and then adjusted for the Advent calendar), it kept my attention throughout, and I enjoyed it. Actually, this is a nice surprise, since I've only read one other Andrew Grey book ages ago that didn't quite work for me, and now I will probably go check out one of his more recent offerings.

I did especially enjoy the depiction of a long-term relationship and
Lucy
Dec 04, 2011 Lucy rated it liked it
2.5. I'm disappointed in this, because I do like couples with children, but nothing happens here. Or maybe it happens, but it's so quick that it doesn't mean anything. Viv is more like a prop than a part of the story.
LaShonta
Dec 04, 2011 LaShonta marked it as no-thanks
Thanks for the review Dane:)
Vicktor Alexander
This whole story was like one huge epilogue read for me.

Josh and Sammy are already together. They've met, fallen in love, moved in together and have established a life together for fifteen years. They are no spring chickens, no, cute young twinks. These are two men who are happy with their lives.

Sort of.

Josh is with his sister Nicole when she gives birth to her daughter Vivian. Josh steps in to help whenever "Nicky" needs help, to the disappointment of his partner, Sammy, who feels as if he's we
Lily
Apr 08, 2012 Lily rated it did not like it
I was looking for a sweet, feel good, Xmas-themed story but sadly didn't find that in this book. The "too perfect" MCs (great house (with not one but two perfect Xmas trees), great friends, great parties) just didn't feel right to me. Despite saying the baby came first it was really the baby came last. Poor little thing almost died and it wasn't even mentioned in the 911 call, her uncle says she's so important but if he has to choose between her and his partner she'd lose and then at the end it ...more
Becky Condit
Jun 24, 2012 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing
I am a total sucker for baby daddy stories, especially when the daddies are a committed gay couple. I’m also a huge fan of anything Andrew Grey writes. So, A PRESENT IN SWADDLING CLOTHES could have been written as a Christmas present for me.
There are a lot of sad family matters here that bring a good bit of anxiety to the story. I was enthralled with the story and every time something happened to throw a curve ball at Josh loved how he dealt with it. This is a lovely story that can be read at an
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I really enjoyed this story of an established older couple who find themselves temporary parents of an infant.

(view spoiler)
Kelly
Very nice short story by Grey.
It would be nice to see a continuation of this story to see what happens as Vivi gets older.
Heart breaking to see how this has happened, but maybe needed a bit more explaination as to is sisters backgroundbso thatbthe reader can understand how he knew that something was going on.
Sandy
Oct 12, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I really loved how Josh put Sammy's feelings first. Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely delighted in Sammy's decision. But, by Josh giving Sammy the time he needed to make his own decision it showed just how much he loved him. Sammy's decision showed just how much he loved Josh.

This was a really, really nice read.
Sadonna
Dec 28, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm, holidays
I usually like Andrew Grey's stories and this is no exception. I have noticed that this Advent calendar seems to be dealing with a lot of heavy subject matter this year - mental illness especially - which is not terribly uplifting at Christmas time. This story is a bit touch and go as to whether there will be a happy ending, but luckily there is.
Eyre
Nov 11, 2013 Eyre rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, lgbtqia
2.5 stars probably. It was sweet, but I had some niggles. One of them was when they caled an ambulance for an adult who was having a breakdown but didn't bother to tell the dispatcher that the baby hadn't been breathing. That was necessary information. Obviously, two ambulances might bneeded. Only one will arrive if you don't tell th dipatcher everything.
melek
Josh is there when his sister gives birth , but after weeks his sister has a breakdown now face with a chance of raising his niece but one thing is blocking the way his partner of 15 years, he scared and doesn't want a child. What will they do read and find out.
Wax
Jun 25, 2016 Wax rated it liked it
Shelves: own-have, mm
Cute story about a couple who unexpectedly have to deal with taking care of a baby. I appreciated that the author did not kill the mom off in childbirth (as so many books with MCs adopting a baby do) but I'm not sure I believed how one MC changed his mind about children.
Lidia
Nov 26, 2012 Lidia rated it liked it
Despite of is one christmas story it isn't too soppy and I loved the characters because they are credible, just like a normal couple after 15 years together that must faced the arrive of one baby. Lovely read
Rachel
Andrew Grey is usually a hit or a miss for me, and this was a miss. Too many problems with what happened to his sister, and I didn't feel any chemistry between the two MCs.
Jilrene ♥
Apr 08, 2013 Jilrene ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: kdla, short-story, mm
Sweet short story about an established couple who add a new born to their home. Well written and easy to read.
Morgana
Dec 14, 2011 Morgana rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, christmas
I really wanted to like this book, but the only thing I love about it is the cover.

2 stars
Nikko
Apr 28, 2012 Nikko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fluffy
A very romantic Xmas story... Knowing Andrew grey's works all ends well!!. Me gonna read it again a day b4 Xmas.. =)
Kobie
Dec 08, 2014 Kobie rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, but it was a novella and the length seemed short, like there was more story that had to get left out.
Jerry
Dec 26, 2011 Jerry rated it really liked it
Quite a bit idealistic so of course it is very sweet and quite emotional. I liked it and enjoyed a bit of its heartwarming predictability. Good short read for Christmas tide.
Raganna
Raganna rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Wealth of Unsaid Words
  • Feels Like Home
  • What Child Is This? (Crossing Borders, #2)
  • The Boy Behind the Red Door
  • Christmas Cole
  • What Can Be
  • Making His List
  • Hopes and Fears
  • The Soldier and the State Trooper (The Soldier and..., #1)
  • A Very Tate Christmas (Tate Pack, #3)
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • No One Should Be Alone
  • Daddy, Daddy and Me
  • Batteries Not Included
  • Wish List
  • Her Two Dads
  • Still Life
  • Turkey in the Snow

m/m romance author
More about Andrew Grey...