Start by marking “Rules of Engagement: The Reasons for Marriage\The Wedding Party\Unlaced” as Want to Read:
Rules of Engagement: The Reasons for Marriage\The Wedding Party\Unlaced

Rules of Engagement: The Reasons for Marriage\The Wedding Party\Unlaced

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  458 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Everyone loves a wedding. The quiet country girl.

The sophisticated member of the ton. A graceful duchess. Follow these charming ladies and their handsome suitors on their journeys down the aisles of England's grand cathedrals and castles as they make—and break—society's most sacred rules.

Rules of Engagement

– A lady shall never be caught unchaperoned with a stranger.

– A gen
Published April 17th 2012 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about Rules of Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules of Engagement

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
86th out of 265 books — 669 voters
Onyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutInsurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareLover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene Frost
Most Expected Romance Books 2012
227th out of 424 books — 1,484 voters

More lists with this book...

SidneyKay
Jun 11, 2012 SidneyKay rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-regency
Becca
Jan 26, 2016 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only a review of the second and third stories in this book. I am not a fan of Stephanie Laurens so I skipped hers.

I have never tried Kasey Michaels or Delilah Marvelle and after reading this anthology, I will be trying more of Marvelle's work.

Kasey Michaels' story is about two young (very young...I'm still in my twenties and they came across as very juvenile to me) people who are in love with each other but are experiencing doubt about whether they are Marrying for reasons other than lov
Aurian Booklover
Dec 04, 2013 Aurian Booklover rated it really liked it
Stephanie Laurens – The reasons for Marriage

The first book in the Lester Family Saga series, published in 1994.

The Dashing Duke . . .
Lenore Lester was perfectly content with her quiet country life, caring for her father, and having no desire for marriage. She took steps to remain inconspicuous and tried her best to show indifference - but no avail! The irresistible Duke of Eversleigh had found her out and was quite persistent in his affections . . .
The Shy Miss!
Notoriously charming Jason, Duke
Samia Ruponti
Aoi
Nov 27, 2013 Aoi rated it liked it
Shelves: hf-england
3 Stars for Unlaced by Delilah Marvelle.

The author's got a penchant to write about unusual couples. This novella is no exception, featuring a slightly older couple, both married previously and having families. I liked the way their tentative courtship is reflected upon by the heroine's eldest, as he embarks on a starcrossed relationship of his own..
Lisa
I only read the Kasey Michaels and Delilah Marvelle stories. The Stephanie Laurens is a reprint and takes up 315 out of 442 pages of this book so the two new stories were very short but both were enjoyable. The KM story is a set up for her new series and it looks like it will be fun and the DM story was sexy and very enjoyable about a slightly older couple who were friends and one kiss changes everything. Just for those two stories only, 3 1/2 stars.

I personally think it would have been better
Fedora
Jun 27, 2015 Fedora rated it it was ok
This anthology contains three stories. I admit I was not truly won over by any of them:

- The Reasons for Marriage by Stephanie Laurens--basic premise was that a duke well-known for his womanizing ways had to marry, and ends up choosing a clever, gorgeous (of course) woman who had been hiding her light under a bushel, so to speak, because she'd never seen the appeal of marriage. So I guess the idea is that he sees something in her that interests him, and pursues her relentlessly until they end up
Jujubee
Apr 22, 2016 Jujubee rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
The first book in the anthology is Stephanie Lauren's Reasons for Marriage. I won't rehash what other reviewers have stated that this was originally published in 1998. In my opinion, the first chapter tripped me off to how old the story could have been. Very flowery speech & simple rich man logic.
At the end of the book, I found the story to have ended well enough for me to say it was worth reading but not enough for me to pull the few SL books I have on my TBR list to my Currently Reading li
Maura
Sep 27, 2015 Maura rated it really liked it
Brandi
Jun 17, 2012 Brandi rated it liked it
Rules of engagement is an anthology consisting of three books. There is The Reasons for Marriage by Stephanie Laurens, The Wedding Party by Kasey Michaels, and Unlaced by Delilah Marvelle. Anthologies normally aren't my thing, but this one sounded too good to pass up. The first book is The Reasons for Marriage by Stephanie Laurens. The story was thoroughly enjoyable. The characters were easy to connect to and fall in love with. I have a soft spot for stories about women during this time period w ...more
Carrie Olguin
Nov 05, 2012 Carrie Olguin rated it it was ok
I was bored with the first story "The Reasons for Marriage." In fact, the story was so forgettable that it wasn't until I reached about chapter ten that I realized I had read this book before.

The hero and heroine don't really do anything original. There's no mystery to be solved or an antagonist to be delt with.

They meet and to cover a possible scandal, they agree to marry for convienance. She gets a whole new wardrobe and goes shopping for accessories. After the wedding, they have lots of great
Karine
I may have cheated a little with this book, as I only read the last two stories because I want to read the whole series that the first book belongs to. Not today, but maybe some time in the future.
That been said, I very much still enjoyed the two short stories contained with in the book. I have books in my to read list from both of these authors and it was good to get a taste for what their stories are about and now I want for.
I only down side is that I was so involved that it was over before I
Lorraine Lesar
Nov 03, 2012 Lorraine Lesar rated it did not like it
For me, Stephanie Laurens is on auto purchase. This is something I am having to review! Please be warned that this book is a re-issue of her "Reason for Marriage" book. Don't get me wrong, I loved this book when first released, what I don't love is paying out again for it, under the impression that this book is a new release.

I must point out that their are two other stories in this book, one by Kasey Michaels and the other by Delilah Marvelle. Both these stories are really, really short, as Step
Trenchologist
May 04, 2016 Trenchologist rated it liked it
Regency anthology, decent but none standout, and the whole suffered from unbalance; the first was too long and the others too short. Left me overall MEH. Disappointing it was so lopsided & none of the three were roundly satisfying. I read each to the end, but not a lot to give up on before getting there since they're short.

'Reasons' was engaging by turns but dragged too long in the 'we won't speak of it to the other' contrivances of misunderstanding between the leads. Great on moments of Fee
Tina
May 08, 2012 Tina rated it it was ok
Disappointing. The first story is a reprint of a 1995 book by Stephanie Laurens, and while the story was engaging the first time around it was too long to be included in this anthology. The two shorter stories were too short, with little time for character development. As a result, I couldn't bring myself to care much about any of the characters or whether they lived happily ever after.
Elissa
May 10, 2012 Elissa rated it it was ok
I found this book disappointing. I expected 3 new short stories only to find the one by Stephanie Laurens was a reprint of one I already owned. Don't get me wrong, I like the story, but 3/4 of the book was something I already had. I did enjoy Unlaced, however. The Wedding Party was just filler for me. Overall, only one/three stories was a hit for me.
Oct 11, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
two out of three

The first story by Stephanie Laurens is about one of the most arrogant heroes I've ever read about. It took me more than half way through the story to wonder if there was more to him. The heroine thankfully was more than a doormat despise her wanting to please him. She was warm, pragmatic, smart. It was enjoyable to read the change in the way he viewed his marriage and in her strength. I had to skip the second story after starting it twice. The third story was about two widows wh
Donna
Apr 23, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
My biggest complaint about this anthology has nothing to do with the authors or their writing. I'm tired of publishers forcing you to purchase previously published stories in order to get the new one you want, in this case a story written 17 years ago. I have owned the Laurens' novel for years but I wanted to read the Michaels' story, so I bought the book. I did re-read The Reasons for Marriage and this time I was just annoyed by the repeated miscommunications by the couple. By the end, I was pr ...more
Julie
A thoroughly delightful collection of historical romances. Each story very different with entirely different styles of relationships and characters. Not boring in the least! Not surprising since the three authors are quite well known for their romantic writings.
Jan 24, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
I enjoyed Stephanie Laurens story of Lenore, the other two stories were rather short and not memorable.
Bebe Four
Laurens: 3 1/2 stars
Michaels: 2 1/2 stars
Marvelled: 3 stars
Vasilena
Aug 02, 2013 Vasilena rated it liked it
Was wondering about the Stephanie Laurens novella (well, almost a book, as it takes up most of this volume) and came here to find out it's actually a reprint of a 1994 book! No surprise, it sounded terribly outdated, for one alpha dukes are out of fashion. So no idea who thought about pairing it with two stories written in 2012. The other two novellas are lovely and sweet, especially the second. The third novella has an interesting secondary character in the son. Kind of wish they were longer an ...more
Sharyn
Aug 13, 2013 Sharyn rated it liked it
Did not realize when I started that the novella by Stephanie Laurens was a reprint of her 1995 book "reasons for Marriage" which explains why her style was a little different than it is today. Always like Kasey Michaels and have discovered a new to me author, Delilah Marvelle. Glad I did not buy this book, byut it was a good book to read while waiting my turn at bowling, because I could eassily put it down when it was my turn!!
Jody
Nov 19, 2013 Jody rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, ebook
I reviewed The Reasons for Marriage by Stephanie Laurens already. The second and third stories are both five chapters. The Wedding Party kinda starts out like you are missing something. Like stepped into middle of a conversation but you do get the idea eventually. The last story is Unlaced. It is actually a cute story of two widowed people who had horrible marriages and now are scared to trust again. Weekly chess games!
Colleen
Three Stories, Reasons for Marriage by Stephanie Laurens, The Wedding Party by Kasey Michaels and Unlaced by Delilah Marvelle

Story by Stephanie Laurens excellent, Love her books, most entertaining.

Story by Kasey Michaels shorter but rather sweet, would have been nicer if was longer and more detail.

Story by Delilah Marvelle Shorter, would have been nicer if it was loner seemed a little incomplete.
Melanie
Feb 24, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
This was fun.
Meghan
May 29, 2012 Meghan rated it it was ok
Like many of the other reviewers, I was very disappointed to find that I'd already read the first story in the anthology. With that said, I really enjoyed that story the first time around.. I just find rereading romance novels anticlimactic unless very well-written. I couldn't get into the other two stories and found them boring compared to other historical romances I've read.
Tonya Warner
Aug 07, 2012 Tonya Warner rated it liked it
A trio of stories. Not much more than that comes to mind. The first was too long, the second just odd, and the third was weird. They amount to a 2.5 star for me. None were too particularly enjoyable and do not encourage me to read more from the authors. (I still will, but then, I read everything.)
Robin Brennan
May 30, 2013 Robin Brennan rated it liked it
Interesting series of three novellas. The first by Stephanie Laurens is book length at 314 pages, while the other accompanying 2 are more like short stories. All are set in Victorian England, with it's strict moral code, rules and class structure. This was a quick, enjoyable read.
Diana
Sep 25, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
It was a good book, a romance anthology. The Stephanie Laurens book was a reprint of one of her Lester books, but I was a good one to re-read. The other two short stories were ones I hadn't read before and really enjoyed.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 10:22AM
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Much Ado About Rogues (Blackthorn Brothers, #3)
  • Lords of Passion
  • The One That Got Away
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • Mischief and Mistletoe
  • Lord of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • Talk of the Ton
  • Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle / Governess to Christmas Bride / Duchess by Christmas
  • An Invitation to Sin
  • Midnight Scandals
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, #2.5; Neville Family & Friends, #0.5)
  • Gifts of Love
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
  • The Bride Wore Pearls (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #3)
  • Reckless Angel
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

“At what age did men mature? If ever? And at what age did a woman cease having to deal with men acting as if they owned the right to lustfully indulge in a woman, be it with his eyes or hands?
There was more to a woman than a womb and breasts.”
2 likes