Start by marking “From Pearl Harbor to Calvary: True Story of the Lead Pilot of the Pearl Harbor attack and His Conversion to Christianity” as Want to Read:

Mitsuo Fuchida was a Captain in the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service who is perhaps best known for leading the first air wave attacks on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Fuchida was responsible for the coordination of the entire aerial attack working under the overall fleet commander Vice Admiral Chuichi Nagumo. After World War II ended, Fuchida became an evangelist, ...more
Published September 15th 2011 by christianaudio

To ask other readers questions about From Pearl Harbor to Calvary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Pearl Harbor to Calvary

Brian Eshleman
Dec 20, 2011 Brian Eshleman rated it really liked it
The phrase, I didn't want this book to end, is certainly true in this case. God shows Himself to be amazing and able to break down any barrier by winning this man to Christ to witness to his enemies. He is a straightforward witness who would have had my attention had he chosen to embellish with emotional and visual details. I look forward to meeting him when I get to Heaven when we have plenty of time and he does not feel like going on at some length is a dereliction of other duty.
Hope
Dec 31, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it
I read a lot of books about World War II, but rarely from a Japanese point of view. This booklet, written in 1951, tells the story of Mitsuo Fuchida, the man who led the first wave of attacks on Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941. It is a powerful testimony of how God turns enemies into brothers.

From Pearl Harbor To Calvary relates not only Fuchida’s story, but also the stories of others who should have been embittered by the war: Peggy Covell, a young woman whose missionary parents were killed by the
Becky
Jan 02, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
After reading Wounded Tiger earlier this year, I've wanted to read this book. (I've also wanted to read more about Jake DeShazer. But I happened to find From Pearl Harbor To Calvary for $1.) This is a short autobiography. Mitsuo Fuchida concisely relates for readers his experiences during World War II; his restlessness after the war, and his quest for answers; and ultimately his conversation to Christ, and his subsequent evangelical work for the Lord. It may be short, but, it is nevertheless com ...more
Jeffrey Williams
Apr 14, 2016 Jeffrey Williams rated it it was ok
The story is quite complex and dramatic, however this is the extremely simplified version of it. Because it is a 2011 reprint of a 1957 short narrative, it is passable. However, 95 pages of large type does not a memoir make. The redeeming factor is that the foreward was written by Florence DeShazer, the widow of Jacob DeShazer who was the Doolittle Raider whose story led Fuchida to Christ, which helps put things in context since both Fuchida and her husband have passed away. Another redeeming ...more
Apr 10, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
"The bombing of Horishima basically saved my life..." Never thought I'd hear/see anyone say that! And the part how a young women's parents got killed by Japanese soldiers doing missionary work in Philippines.. and yet she devoted her time, heart and soul, to the Japanese prisoners in America! Made me realise that bad things do happen for a reason. We must always see the good in hard times. Even though it was a short book, it really got me thinking.. It is amazing how many times Captain Mitsuo ...more
Carol Arnold
This was a good little book. Less than a hundred pages so it was a quick read. Or should I say, "A quick listen" since I "read" the audio version!
John Martindale
Dec 07, 2011 John Martindale rated it it was ok
The guy in charge of attacking Pearl Harbor goes from the lime-light, to being a nobody after the WW2 and then after some soul searching and meeting some folks becomes an evangelistic Christian, its not a bad story, there were some mini-stories within the story that I really liked. I just did not care for how it is shared, it just seemed to cliche and churchy, I don't really know how to describe it, but yeah, it turns me off. But hey, it was really short and I got it for free from ...more
Madisson
Sep 04, 2016 Madisson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Great little autobiography by Mitsuo Fuchida, the pilot who led the first wave of the air attacks on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 as Captain of the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service. Fuchida was introduced to the gospel through Sgt. Jacob DeShazer's testimony (who was a bombardier in Doolittle's raid and POW of Japan) and became a Christian eleven years after Pearl Harbor.
Glesnertod
Sep 21, 2015 Glesnertod rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, memoir
An interesting story in which at times I appreciated the contrast which was made between serving hate in the Japanese and US Navy vs serving love as a follower of Jesus. But, then at times, it seemed to stated that God was behind the war, not just working out bad situations for good to those who love Him. That is all.
Patrick
Dec 29, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I downloaded this brief audiobook for free from christianaudio.com. The first half is Fuchida's story, the second half is interviews. The story itself is not particularly detailed nor eloquent, but is nonetheless powerful as a testimony of Jesus' power to transform lives by changing hatred to love and forgiveness. Highly enjoyable and encouraging.
Chris
Jul 22, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok
This book was fine. I'm a fan of Christian biographies, and this one certainly stands out for its historical significance, but it was difficult for me to access. Fuchida's story begins as a personal account of a man's struggle with meaning and spirituality, but becomes a step-by-step detail of how he became involved with a particular missions organization.
Samuel Weaver
Dec 25, 2015 Samuel Weaver rated it really liked it
Worth reading for a couple bucks, maybe, but you won't get much out of it. Very Arminian approach to evangelism and pretty thin story. It's great of course, but not sure it needed to be made into a book.
D. Bright
Apr 18, 2012 D. Bright rated it liked it
This details a little bit of the journey of Mitsuo Fuchida, who was one of the main leaders for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. And how he became a Christian and began preaching to people telling them his testimony and God's offer of forgiveness.
Daniel
A quick "read" (listened to the audio version). Wish more time had been spent on his time growing up, and wish his life had been fleshed out a bit more. Seemed almost like a gospel tract of a testimony, but inspiring nonetheless.
Kelly Clark
Feb 05, 2014 Kelly Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story that only God could tell. Two "enemies" fighting on opposite sides of the war find themselves fighting together in a spiritual war for the souls of men. Amazing story of forgiveness and redemption.
Danel W. Champagne
Inspiring story if the conversion to Christianity of the IJN officer who led the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.
Barbara
Mar 11, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Great testimony and fascinating to see how life unfolded - this man was able to come to the U.S. In spite of his personal history with regard to Pearl Harbor.
Norbert
Too short (95 pages with a large font). Almost nothing about Pearl Harbour
I would give one star for the style, almost 4 stars for the story
Kirsten
Jul 25, 2016 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sat down to read a chapter or two and finished the whole book at the kitchen table. An incredible story of forgiveness, grace, and how God pursues us!
Edwin Martin
Jul 01, 2016 Edwin Martin rated it it was ok
Sounds like a great story, but badly needed a writer to make it readable; very abbreviated when there should have been lots more to tell.
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Craig Bode
Craig Bode rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Cheryl McD
Cheryl McD rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2014
Cheri
Sep 02, 2016 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-unabridged, wow
A must read.
Jason Weekley
Jason Weekley rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
oh hee hwee
oh hee hwee rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Mark Murray
Mark Murray rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Alfred J. Lindh
Alfred J. Lindh rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Roar
Roar rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2013
John Pasquet
John Pasquet rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“I remember the thrill that was mine when, in one of my first meetings, I led my first soul to Christ in America. And he was one of my own countrymen.” 1 likes