Start by marking “Babywatching” as Want to Read:
Babywatching

Babywatching

Trained as a zoologist, Desmond Morris now turns his attention to the first twelve months of human life, bringing a new approach to a number of intriguing and frequently asked questions. In straightforward, easy-to-understand language, Morris debunks ancient superstitions and adult-centered biases and helps us see the world from the baby's point of view. Illustrations.
Published March 18th 1992 by Crown (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Babywatching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babywatching

Abby
Apr 13, 2008 Abby rated it it was amazing
Desmond Morris is my favorite guy. At least, as far as zoologists go, he is my favorite one I've ever met. Actually, I've never met him. But he's still my favorite zoologist. I'm pretty sure I've never met another one, either.

So anyways, all of his books are awesome, both about animals and people. This one is all about BABIES. What could be better (except maybe babies and cats in the SAME book)? He studies human beings like they are animals. Like, have you ever pondered questions such as "Do bab
Joe
Feb 13, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
As usual in my experience with Desmond Morris, I found this book interesting--especially with reading it on the occasion of the birth of our first grandson--and well furnished with fascinating little tidbits, some things you probably never learned in school or heard at your mother's knee. Some "stuffy" academic types might complain that he writes in a somewhat popular style, but that does make it pretty readable.

The book is structured as a sequence of questions and (his) answers, which makes it
Littlevision
Jan 29, 2013 Littlevision rated it liked it
I read two copies of this book - one was the illustrated edition and the second was just a text copy.

My initial interest in this book was the multiple depictions/pictures of breastfeeding. I think there was only one or two bottle-feeding photos in the entire book. This is a big thing for me, so I was interested to read and find out if this guy was a proponent of baby-training, etc.

I was happy to find that this book is very pro-attachment parenting, from a biological perspective. It is vehemently
Greg Metcalf
Mar 27, 2014 Greg Metcalf rated it it was amazing
This is a fast paced read with short sections each answering common questions about babies, like why are babies born with blue eyes, why do they smile. I feel like it was written as sort of a cross between something informative for readers of popular science and as a guide for new parents. Which, as a short book, might make it miss on both tries, but that's what further reading is for. So it has fascinating insights into the minds of babies for everyone, new parents might want to find some ...more
Gaetano De Lauro
Aug 24, 2015 Gaetano De Lauro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In questo libro Morris tratta in modo proverbiale l'etologia del bambino cercando di lasciare meno dubbi possibili al lettore. L'immagine di copertina sfortunatamente lo fa apparire per un libro premaman, cosa che non è, o almeno non del tutto.
Da consigliare a chi vuole vedere con occhio critico la piccola creatura che gli cresce accanto.
Amanda K.
Mar 10, 2010 Amanda K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book. It is a great alternative to traditional baby guides, or an enlightening supplementary guide. It also answered questions and covered topics that traditional baby books do not.
Nagarjun  Kandukuru
Jan 01, 2012 Nagarjun Kandukuru rated it really liked it
Bought it the day my daughter was born. It is delightful, and makes you feel all warm fuzzy. But look elsewhere for practical, useful info.
Brian Stanton
Aug 08, 2011 Brian Stanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a brill book for any newbee parents by the master voyeur that is Mr Morris. The sort of guy you want to hang out with to try and absorb some of his cleverness.
Makomai
non solo per chi ha figli. Il bambino come animale ed il bambino nella societa' umana (come a dire: etologia pura)
Sukrita
Sukrita rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Impunityjainne
Impunityjainne rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2009
Sathya
Sathya rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Rhana Williams
Rhana Williams rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Berber
Berber rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Jeany
Jeany rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2009
Stu
Stu rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Tina Switzer
Tina Switzer rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Veron
Veron rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Jolien
Jolien rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Sadiq Kazi
Sadiq Kazi rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Chandra
Chandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2011
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Lyndsey
Lyndsey rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2014
Ruben Tronçon
Ruben Tronçon rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Paromita
Paromita rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2014
Indy Chakrabarti
Indy Chakrabarti rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2007
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Aztec & Maya: The Complete Illustrated History
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • What We Believe But Cannot Prove: Today's Leading Thinkers on Science in the Age of Certainty
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • Mind Games
  • Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism
  • Extreme Animals: The Toughest Creatures on Earth
  • The Rise and Fall of Alexandria: Birthplace of the Modern Mind
  • Asimov on Science Fiction
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2009: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...