Start by marking “The Big Jump” as Want to Read:
The Big Jump

The Big Jump

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews
What awaits us out in space? *** New star-drive engines promise to open up the galaxy to human-kind. But the first ship to use the engines disappears and a sole survivor returns...alone and dying of some strange type of radiation. *** No one can figure out what has happened to the ship or the crew. Nor does anyone know what happens to a ship travelling using star-drive tec ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Phoenix Pick (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Jump

Bryan
This book works best in the way it builds up a sense of foreboding and dread, so although undeniably science fiction, I added a "horror" tag to it as well.

While not frightening or terrifying, it does build up quite palpable suspense and tension. The plot's premise is that something went awry on the first interstellar space voyage, and while one survivor returned, none of the rest of the crew made it back home... and the lone survivor is terribly poisoned.

In fact, in one small scene, there's eve
Mike Franklin
Great action packed pulp sf adventure but let down by some sloppy writing early on (random head hopping, dialogue clearly attributed to the wrong person etc.). Also much of the motivation and execution (particularly early on) was rather implausible. So rather mixed feeling on that one.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
A fairly short book, it is a bit of a noir-style science fiction novel, with respect to characterization and description, if not actual plot, making the book feel rather dated.
Kamas Kirian
It reminds me of a cross between Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer, Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination and the movie Event Horizon, with maybe a little bit of the Walking Dead thrown in for atmosphere. And, for some reason, I keep visualizing Charlize Theron as Sydna. One thing that really dated the writing was the use of "gay", "fey" and "queer" in their original context rather than as slurs. Otherwise, the concepts didn't seem all that dated, just the style of writing.

Some of the text wrappe
Kassandra Gilbert
One of my favourite sci-fi books. It is hard for me to describe the issues mentioned in this book, but some of it mentions how we can live without violence. It was very confusing but I recommend it to those who like books with a strange conspiracy fueling a mans desire to find out what happened to his friend who went on a scientific mission and didn't really come back.
Christopher
Following a rumor that a survivor has returned from the first expedition to another star by jump drive, the story's hero gets mixed up in the pulp equivalent of a bad _Dallas_ episode for 75 pages or so, after which a semi-decent but very ordinary SF story unfolds about what kept most of the expedition members from returning.
Pedro
Amusing mix of noir and 50s SF. A bit too fast, and not so well aged, so it's *** for me.
Kate
Interesting novella about interstellar travel, inhibition, and the quest for power. The slightly noir feel of the first half is abandoned once the interstellar voyage begins, which is too bad - that was my favourite part of the novella.
Nicole Cadet
Really nice sci-fi, though it felt more like a short story than a full novel.
bluetyson
The Big Jump by Leigh Brackett (1955)
F.P.
F.P. marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Pnpnpn
Pnpnpn added it
Aug 08, 2015
Charles Sheard
Charles Sheard marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
SF_Fangirl
SF_Fangirl marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Sansabark
Sansabark marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Leigh Brackett was born on December 7, 1915 in Los Angeles, and raised near Santa Monica. Having spent her youth as an athletic tom-boy - playing volleyball and reading stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs and H Rider Haggard - she began writing fantastic adventures of her own. Several of these early efforts were read by Henry Kuttner, who critiqued her stories and introduced her to the SF personalitie ...more
More about Leigh Brackett...
The Long Tomorrow The Sword of Rhiannon The Ginger Star (The Book of Skaith, #1) The Hounds of Skaith (The Book of Skaith, #2) The Reavers of Skaith  (The Book of Skaith, #3)

“A hard-boiled little lamb going to talk a lot of lions out of their dinner, Comyn told himself grimly.” 0 likes