Start by marking “Technicolor Ultra Mall” as Want to Read:
Technicolor Ultra Mall

Technicolor Ultra Mall

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the commodified future the consequences of a failing society are brought to bear upon one man’s ambition and his attempt to escape his own socio-economic hell.

About Technicolor Ultra Mall

The world’s ecosystems have been destroyed by genetic pollution and cities have evolved into mega malls.

Budgie is a knife wielding, brass knuckled young man from the impoverished and br
Published (first published September 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Technicolor Ultra Mall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Technicolor Ultra Mall

Jennifer Rahn
Reading through Technicolor Ultra Mall made me feel like I'd donned a thick vinyl raincoat and gone websurfing on a golf cart after fasting for three days, then bingeing on caffeinated jellybeans. It's a big jumble that eventually meanders into a story, after backing out of a few side plots that go nowhere, giving me just enough to keep reading, while dodging grammatical oddities that further jarred the brain. Vaguely reminiscent of Orwell's 1984, and artistic in an avant-garde, not-really-acces ...more
Tony Bertauski
Strap in.

Ryan Oakley carries a dystopian knife that sticks and twists. Then he laughs.

Technicolor Ultra Mall makes Hunger Games look like an episode of Brady Bunch. This story follows humanity into the pit of consumerism, where malls become underground cities that keep people safe from a toxic world, where advertisements fill every corner of the world. And people buy and buy and buy and society evolves into a caste system of levels. The upper levels -- the greens -- are reserved for the privileg
F.L. Ciano
Dark, dirty, raw and riveting. I enjoyed the skill with which the author created an interesting setting and rich characters. I had no idea where it was going until I found myself there. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to those who like to be challenged by darker human explorations. There are moments when love, friendship and dignity light the way but this will never be Disney. Definitely adult. A gangster madmax bladerunner thing.
Magpie
This is one powerful book, but it's not one you "like". It's one you're absorbed and beaten up by.

You might actively rebel against liking it, as I did, not wanting to be drawn in, wanting to just put it down and take a shower instead.

But something always pulled me back into the struggle - the challenge of sorting through the layers of points-of-view, the nifty future world-building, the idiosyncratic writing style, and probably, mostly, the story was saying something I needed to hear, at the b
J.w. Schnarr
I'd never heard of Ryan Oakley before reading Technicolor Ultra Mall, and now I'll never forget his name. This is an amazing piece of work. The ghosts of Logan's Run and Gibson's Neuromancer stalk the halls of Oakley's Technicolor Ultra Mall. It's fun and brutal and stylish all at the same time.

Oakley even injected some Robocop-style humour with commercial parodies of products you might recognize. Though, never in the form they're in at the Technicolor Ultra Mall.

FYI, the mall is Toronto. As an
Jacqueline Valencia
Technicolor Ultra Mall is violent, mercilessly honest and it's an amazing read. I'm still processing it. I very much enjoyed Budgie, an ultra-violent anti-hero. The world, especially one set in Toronto, needs more anti-hero portrayals.

Taking dystopian literature to places writer's dare not go, Oakley has made me a fan and I look forward to reading more of his work.
Chris
Dystopian, graphic, and edgy. Follows a young gang member in his realization that there is more to life than drugs and violence. Harshest commentary on society I have ever read. Only read it if you want to hate capitalism for a frew days after you finish. Its kind of like an adult version of THE FEED.
R!ch
This is really pretty great. Reminiscent at times of "Snow Crash", there's a lot of commentary on consumer culture here and some pretty clever insights. There are a few conceits where the society doesn't seem entirely plausible, but if you can just roll with it this book is very rewarding
Tamahome
Apr 15, 2012 Tamahome marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Just liked the title and cover. Saw it at sfsignal. Reviews seemed alright. Nominated for an Aurora (it's like a Hugo but Canadian).
Richie de Almeida
Good stuff, will definitely read this author when/if he writes more. Similar setting to "Wool", but much richer story going on here.
Shane
Incredible story and ideas, but brutal writing. At one stage I felt physically ill. Still an amazing book.
Mamading
Mamading marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Tim_mk
Tim_mk marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Megan Fennell
Megan Fennell marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Amal Mashkoor
Amal Mashkoor marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Stephen Workman
Stephen Workman marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Angela Lee
Angela Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Gef
Gef marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Sam Sutherland
Sam Sutherland marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Joe Karpierz
Joe Karpierz marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014