Start by marking “Short Stories 1921-1946 (Plays, Poetry, and Prose / Bertolt Brecht)” as Want to Read:
Short Stories 1921-1946 (Plays, Poetry, and Prose / Bertolt Brecht)

Short Stories 1921-1946 (Plays, Poetry, and Prose / Bertolt Brecht)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
A collection of stories exploring political and social conditions is accompanied by a brief portrait of the life of the distinguished German author.
Published February 1st 1985 by Methuen Publishing (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Short Stories 1921-1946, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Stories 1921-1946

Rhys
I first read this collection when I was 19 or 20 years old. Almost without exception, I disliked the stories. Yet there must have been some quality in the writing that kept me going because I finished the book.

It was several decades before I went back to Brecht. I was left with the erroneous impression he wasn't a good writer. A few years ago I began reading some of his plays and I finally realised my mistake.

Last year I acquired this volume again and re-read the stories. This time I was struck
Shawn
Nice collection of short fiction from an artist not normally thought of as a fiction writer. Most of these pieces appeared in German newspapers just before or during Brecht's rise to fame.

Standouts include:
"Bargan Gives Up" (a pirate story)
"The Revelation"
"A Mean Bastard" (a cruel story about male and female relations, dominance and submission)
"Letter About A Mastiff" (about a man's troubled relationship with his neighbor's dog)
"North Sea Shrimps" (about class and the newly rich)
"A Little Tale O
Kunjila Mascillamani
Bad collection. Not worth reading. Life is the same without having read it too.
Erk
Erk marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Tabea
Tabea marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Alan Wilkes
Alan Wilkes is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2013
Tom Jackson
Tom Jackson marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Judy Hall
Judy Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Daniel Koehler
Daniel Koehler marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2012
Odette
Odette marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2010
David
David added it
Nov 12, 2008
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2008
Bertolt Brecht (born Eugen Berthold Friedrich Brecht) was a German poet, playwright, and theatre director. A seminal theatre practitioner of the twentieth century, Brecht made equally significant contributions to dramaturgy and theatrical production, the latter particularly through the seismic impact of the tours undertaken by the Berliner Ensemble—the post-war theatre company operated by Brecht a ...more
More about Bertolt Brecht...
Mother Courage and Her Children The Threepenny Opera Galileo The Caucasian Chalk Circle The Good Woman of Setzuan