Men Under the Mistletoe

Men Under the Mistletoe

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Baby it's Cold Outside

A man receives the gift of pleasure at the hands of two expert lovers. Boyhood sweethearts get a second chance at romance. Two very proper gentlemen indulge their forbidden desires. And a Christmas tree farmer has an epiphany. It may be cold outside but these four holiday novellas will warm you up.

Anthology includes:

My True Love Gave to Me by Ava Ma

ebook
Published December 5th 2011 by Carina Press (first published January 1st 2011)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Men Under the Mistletoe is an awesome collection of very hot, very heartwarming stories penned by some of the most talented writers of the male/male genre out there. These authors; Ava March, Harper Fox, Josh Lanyon, and K. A. Mitchell, have struck the perfect balance between sweet and edgy, making all of these stories so perfectly sexy, that they could be considered erotica if they weren’t also so romantic, too.

This anthology includes:

1. My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March – 4 stars! This wa...more
Ann
Read this one last season and now listening to it on Audible. It's a great anthology, probably one of my all time favorites.

My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March, read by L.B. Townsend - 4 Stars
Yeah, so give me a guy with a sexy accent reading me historical Christmas smut and I'm happy. I will say that I'm glad I had read this one first, it was a smidge confusing with the different characters, but it was read well, and I really liked it. It's a heartbreaker though so make sure you can listen to m...more
Breann
My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March ★★★★☆

At the start of Thomas and Alexander’s relationship Thomas is scared of the idea of loving another man. Because of this he flees to America and is gone for 4 years. During his absence he came to terms with the fact that he prefers men and that Alexander is the man for him. When he returns, Alexander, understandably, wants nothing to do with him. I appreciated that not all was forgiven and forgotten immediately. Thomas suffered during his attempts to get...more
Heather C
My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March ★★★☆☆
I actually read this one after completing the Brook Street Trilogy. And while it isn't my favorite of the series, I did enjoy it. I already know that Bennett and Norton are pretty much going to last forever, but I would be questioning that at the end of this story if I hadn't already read the rest of the series.

Winter Knights by Harper Fox
I'm not sure if I will read this story (view spoiler)

Lone Star by Josh Lanyon ★★★☆☆
I...more
"My True Love Gave to Me"

by Ava March

Ava March is a popular m/m romance novelist who specializes in historicals particulary Regency England. This novella follows this pattern. The main characters are Thomas Bennett and Alexander Norton who meet as young men at Oxford University. They are attracted to each other immediately, but, when it comes time to really show Alexander his feelings, Thomas leaves the country for four years. In this story, he arrives back in London to convince Alexander that...more
Ann
Men Under the Mistletoe was an enjoyable anthology even if I had a few problems with some of the stories. I’m going to review each story separately in this review but I have a small critique point in regards to the complete anthology.

I was a bit disappointed that all stories featured lovers who had a fight and broke up (view spoiler). I’m not sure if this was in the guidelines for the anthology but I would have wished for a bit mor...more
Vio
A highly enjoyable Anthology with gorgeous characters and intriguing stories. A nice mix of the unusual and interesting a recommended Christmas read with a few twists, I really liked it!
willaful

Although all the lovers are male, in many ways this is a typical Christmas romance anthology: it features a Regency, a ghost story, a Western, and a humorous first-person contemporary, and though the sex scenes are explicit, the emphasis is mostly on the romance. All of the stories are also available as separate ebooks.

My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March.

A simple, but emotionally charged historical romance. Alex and Thomas fell in love as students at Oxford, but Thomas was too frightened to co...more
Hannah

I was a little dismayed when I realized that every story in this anthology involves protagonists who have prior history with each other. I tend to prefer stories in which the protagonists meet for the first time and develop their relationship from there. That said, two out of the four stories handled the "old flame" story line pretty well.

My True Love Gave To Me
Ava March

I've heard some good things about Ava March's writing, but this story was just okay. There was a little too much melod...more
Stacey
As a compilation, Men Under the Mistletoe is a fun, erotic, Christmasy read. 4 stars out of 5 for the anthology as a whole. The stand out story is The Christmas Proposition by K.A. Mitchell.

Lone Star
A sweet story of coming home to a place you no longer consider home. Of the brutal assault of memory and the lesson that time really doesn't heal wounds, it just changes perspective. Mitch has escaped his small town roots to become a principle dancer for the Am...more
LenaLena
Only the last story in this collection had a real connection to Christmas. And no mistletoe in sight....

My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March 2.5 stars

Okay Regency romance. I tend to like regency and I think it has great potential as a setting for m/m, it being a hanging offense back then and all, but I have not often seen it done well. The problem I had with this story is that Alexander's change of heart came about really abrupt and the story ended abrupt too.

Winter Knights by Harper Fox 4.5 s...more
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

The emo in me I loved this Christmas m/m anthology. It was hot, sweet, with just the right amount of angst. Many of the stories were about second chances, which I love.

My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March 5.0 Stars
My first story by Ava March but definitely not my last! Also my favorite of the anthology.
Four years ago, Alexander Norton's first love, Thomas Bennett, broke his heart when he fled to New York without a word. So when Alexander encounters Thomas at a holiday ball, he is deter
Camille
Audiobook.

Okay / good-ish; all of them nothing special. Didn't love any or find them particularly gratifying. A good listen. Okay-ish narrators. Comfortable stories, but none really wonderful or moving.

Middling. Nice. Helped me along my household chores.
Chris
4.5 stars. Another exceptional collection of holiday-themed m/m romance from Carina Press. Ava March's historical was very good. (Poor Sasha! Then... poor Thomas!) Harper Fox's story drew me in slowly, then seduced me utterly. So good! Its excellent epilogue should serve as the standard to which all other epilogues should strive. Josh Lanyon's story was a pretty good read, but left me with too many unanswered questions to be truly satisfying. Finally, KA Mitchell's story kept me wondering how th...more
Deeze
Overall a sweet and simple collection of 4 short stories. A little something for everyone kinda thing. For me the last 2 stories worked best.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
My True Love Gave To Me 3*

Winter Knights 4*

Lone Star 3.5*

the Christmas Propostion 3*
Mandi Schreiner
My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March

Alexander and Thomas are in love. Both 19 years old, while Alexander has fooled around with a few other boys his age, neither have ever been in a serious relationship. Alexander is actually the first boy Thomas has ever kissed. The feelings are all very new and intense for both of them. Being young and in love isn’t as carefree as you think, especially in the early 19th century. Thomas is scared of others finding out and still doesn’t feel confident about his...more
Alex
Overall
An excellent collection of four Christmas novellas, these stories capture the spirit of the holidays and warm you to your toes better than a cup of spiked cocoa. A nice mix of hot sex, warm loving, and cold shoulders, you may think you know how some of these end, but others will surprise you. Check these out for Christmas, or for any time you want to curl up with some holiday cheer.

My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March
Stars: 4/5
This is my first read of anything by March, so I don't know if...more
SueM
There is considerable variety of genres and styles found in this collection of Christmas-themed stories, and sadly, there is a range in quality too.

For me, the outstanding story was Harper Fox's Winter Knights. In a contemporary story mixed with Arthurian legends and supernatural elements, two lovers come to terms with themselves and each other. Despite its shorter than novel length, this reads like a full length novel, with complex character development, surprising emotional depth and threaded...more
Montana
I enjoyed all four stories in this anthology, but the one that's really stayed with me is Harper Fox's Winter Knights (~35,000 words). The protagonist, Gavin Lowden, is flawed but sympathetic, and his Christmas Eve adventures are harrowing, sexy, and haunting by turns. Winter Knights engaged my mind, my imagination, and my heart, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a regular holiday re-read.

As always, Josh Lanyon doesn't disappoint. Lone Star (~26,000 words) is a gorgeous tale of first loves an...more
Beck
Sep 08, 2013 Beck rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beck by: Mandy Beyers
Shelves: anthology, mm, series
My True Love Gave to Me by Ava March - ★★★

I enjoy Ava March's books. They are always beautifully written with vivid characters. I enjoyed 'My True Love Gave to Me' but I did find Sasha's pouting a little exasperating. His tantrum nearly spoiled the book because I felt that Thomas' reticence was understandable & his apology didn't deserve the reaction he received. In the end I was happy with the HEA & will continue with the series.

Winter Knights by Harper Fox - ★★★★

This was an interestin...more
Cris
I don't know when the last time was that I read an anthology and loved every one of the stories. Then again, I can't remember when I've read an anthology of four authors where three of them were in my top list of all time favorites. I wasn't familiar with Ava March before this (though she's certainly going in my must-have list going forward), but Josh Lanyon, Harper Fox, and K.A. Mitchell never disappoint and surpassed even my high expectations with this one.

I'm not a big fan of winter holidays,...more
L-D

Lone Star by Josh Lanyon: 4 stars
Go To "Lone Star" Review
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Sabrina
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I loved each of the stories in this anthology. Each one was super special in someway and I am so happy that I was able to read them all.

Lanyon- Friends reconnecting after quite a few years. At almost 80 pages this story goes through a lot. There is character development that makes sense. There is a plot that is resolved. There is a message to take away. This book has got it all. I expect nothing...more
Monika
I thought these were cute, quick Christmas stories, I usually stay away from short stories because I find the characters and stories never develop like a novel does. I'm not able to connect to the story or I get really interested in them and they end. These stories were like that, I wish there was more from them.
Lillian Francis
Quite easily the best anthology I've read. I'd happy revisit each of these pairings again. And I'm sure I will...I might not even wait until next Christmas.
Sylvia
Nov 2012: This time I'm listening to the Audio book.
Dec 28 2012: Loved it in audio.
2011: I loved these stories and they moved me to tears.
Dannielle
This was a really hot m/m anthology! Loved all the stories, and intend to check out more from each of these authors.
Veronica / V
This is not my favorite Christmas Anthology for sure.
Angela Bee Bee
Jan 24, 2014 Angela Bee Bee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela Bee Bee by: bought as a gift for my Dad
Ava March, perhaps one of the most under rated mm authors. Maybe the historical stuff throws people off, or the angst. But I love it. 5 stars

Harper Fox, skipped. Could not give a rats nest if arthur was real or not. And I'm too chicken to put my heart out for HF to crush. DNF.

Josh Lanyon, 3 stars. My Dad loved this. Thought we'd found our perfect story, his dancer, my cowboy. But nah, sad, boring. A tamer shorter version of Training Season, which I also didn't like. I think I don't like my cowbo...more
Romance Readers R...: Buddy Read - Men Under the Mistletoe 54 27 Jan 01, 2012 03:41PM
  • Winter Warmers
  • The Christmas Proposition
  • Mistletoe at Midnight
  • My True Love Gave to Me (Brook Street, #0.5)
  • O Come All Ye Kinky
  • Winter Knights
  • Hell Cop 2
  • Curious?: A Woman's Introduction to Gay Romance (includes: Ryan & Scott, #1)
  • Sindustry
  • Stuff My Stocking: M/M Romance Stories that are Nice and… Naughty
  • Don't Read in the Closet: GayRomLit Retreat 2011 Special Edition
  • The Match Before Christmas
  • Necking
Editorial Director of Carina Press, Harlequin's digital-first imprint, and veteran of the digital publishing industry, Angela James is a long-time advocate for digital publishing. She has enjoyed nearly a decade of experience in digital publishing, including successfully launching, building and serving as executive editor for two digital-first presses. Angela frequently travels to regional, nation...more
More about Angela James...
Hunting Love His For The Holidays Three's Company Naughty and Nice: A Holiday Romance Collection Holiday Kisses: This Time Next Year\A Rare Gift\It's Not Christmas Without You\Mistletoe and Margaritas (Holloway, #1; Kent Brothers, #2)