Placenta of Love

Placenta of Love (New Bizarro Author Series)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Planet-sized amusement parks, robo-pirates, and a sentient placenta! Step right up! Captain Carl the robo-pirate is one of the few Artificial Intelligences living on Venus-the amusement park planet. When Carl is given the spark of intelligence by his creator, he becomes a creator himself. No longer just an automaton from a pirate ride, Captain Carl creates the love of his...more
Published October 22nd 2011 by Eraserhead Press

To ask other readers questions about Placenta of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Placenta of Love

Dan Schwent
On Venus, the amusement park planet, robot pirate Captain Carl is granted free will and creates another life, an AI named Helen that he loves. When he tries to give Helen a living body made from a huge placenta, she runs amok and threatens to destroy the planet. Can Captain Carl stop her without killing the only being he's ever loved?

Sigh. It's that tired old story. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy and girl get back together. Only the boy is a sentient robot pirate in an amusement park. And t...more
Amy
Jun 02, 2012 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bizarro fans
I really didn't know what I was getting myself into when I first read the title of this book. Well, one never does quite know when you start reading this genre. But this book for me was fun. Ok, there are some disturbing things in here, like well, mostly the clothes...but other than that, it's all pretty normal. :)

We have a robo-pirate who is lonely, looking for someone to share his life with, when he comes across a placenta. It's love at first sight. The only problem? Placentas aren't very voca...more
Anita Dalton
You can read my entire discussion here.

Review snippet: "This next description was so marvelously horrible to me, just so creepy and magnificent.

He ran his hand across its surface. “So warm,” he whispered. “Warm and soft.” He breathed deeply, his eyes closed. “Raspberries. Like fresh raspberries.” He took off his pirate hat and ran his cheek along the placenta. He smiled; the same smile that had crossed his face when he’d read Helen’s first words

Holy crap. And I really wonder why this freaks me o...more
Jessica
Placenta of Love is one I requested my local library buy and have on the shelf yay Dallas library you rock! I got to read it and while not all most bizarro any that I am familiar with anyway tends to be novella length so a pretty quick read. I am frequently amazed how much story can be packed into that novella length.

Spike takes the typical sweet love story and takes it on a head on collision with bizarro so while there is love it is between a sentient robot pirate and a placenta. Ahhh yes the m...more
Matthew Vaughn
I think the New Bizarro Author Series is great, I read a few of last years and enjoyed each one. Now I’ve got a few new authors to follow and I look forward to their future projects. When the time came and they announced the new crop of NBAS at Bizarro-con last year I got excited again. My plan is read all eight of their books this year. So far I’ve read one and it was Placenta of Love, and it was excellent.
Set on the amusement park planet Venus we are introduced to Captain Carl, a Robo whose c...more
Gabriel
For a long time, I just couldn't get into this book. There was too much going on and, as is true with some Bizarro, you need to be ready to get into the strange worlds.

I was too focused on what irked me. The [not quite "unnecessary", but certainly not essential] ride descriptions at the start of the chapters (starting at the second chapter). The breaks within chapters that were short already ...

Then I took a break from the book and read something else and got my head back where I could apprecia...more
Jonathan
Holy crap... So I was directed to this book by a friend, and holy crap. Lately I have been trying to find a story that's different and new. This is fresh and awesome. I devoured it tonight, easy with a novella, but I couldn't stop. I will try not to give spoilers, but SPANKIES!!!! This will be a new phrase used for me:). The details are descriptive, the emotions are recognized, we really have all been in these emotional situations in some way. We all have a friend like Jiji, great for friendship...more
Marek Grzywacz
I've started dabbling in bizarro fiction (as a reader and writer)because of my profound love for strange, unexpected and plain insane in fiction and to see how individual and unusual constructions can writers create from pieces of popculture and their own wild imagination.

"Placenta of Love" is one of the books that make me glad I tried this somewhat offbeat (but awesome genre).

The story is rather straighforward. Planet Venus is an one big amusement park, run by mindless automatons. People from a...more
J.W. Wargo
ID SAYS:
I'm not going to open this review with me yelling out profanity-laced, pirate phrases. So there. Nyah!

Captain Carl isn't going to care. He doesn't think himself much a pirate, anyhow. Standing on his boat, the Trojan, amidst a sea of Styrofoam peanuts, inside one of the shittiest attractions on Venus, the planet turned universal amusement park, he desires more.

It's a damned miracle he desires at all, Carl being an automaton programmed to excite patrons with all that "Avast, ye landlubber...more
Annetta Ribken
I have been saving this read for a special time because I knew it would be special.

If I said to you here's a book about a pirate, artificial intelligence, a planet-sized amusement park, a placenta, and love, you would probably reply, "Netta, you so crazy!" And while that is most likely a very true statement, my description hardly does the book justice.

Placenta of Love is bizarre. It is also a lovely book. That might be a strange word to use, but it fits like a glove. It is a testament to the au...more
S.T. Cartledge
This sort of thing is why I love bizarro fiction. It’s a tragic love story that’s just so weird. And the weirdness enhances the tragedy. A robo-pirate falls in love with a placenta. Theirs is a forbidden love that spirals out of control. The story is set on the planet/amusement park Venus, which is populated with all sorts of creatures and bizarre rides that form this wonderfully hedonistic planet-culture. It’s a space-age sci-fi fantasy that’s beautiful and sad and at times quite sexually expli...more
David Barbee
Spike Marlowe is into robots and Fellini...a girl after my own heart. Plus, her name is Spike! And she wears a domino mask! And she does amazing things with donuts! And, perhaps more important than all of that other cool stuff, she's written a beautiful love story between a robot pirate and a placenta, set on a sprawling techno-circus planet realized with a keen eye. Placenta of Love is lovely and violent, full of weird whimsy and futuristic flourish. It's really damn good.
Kristin
Mar 07, 2012 Kristin marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book here on goodreads.com and I must say I cant wait to give it a read. The description makes the book sound strange and different. Which if you ask me equals exciting!
FabulousRaye
4, closer to a 5. Wow! I started this book before bed, and I wanted to dream about head sized popcorn balls, and Robo-Pirate men.

Proper review forthcoming.
Andrew Stone
This book is SO COOL! I mean, it has pirates and placentas and robots and roller-coasters! Seriously, how can you not want to read that?!

On a real note, do read this book. It is a love story about a man (Pirate-Robot) who refuses to give up on the girl (Placenta) of his dreams.

Also, each chapter begins with the description of a roller-coaster on Venus (where the book takes place... The entire planet is a theme park!), and each roller-coaster seems like the most fun ride ever. Spike Marlowe shou...more
Cade
I love the setting of this book: Venus has been turned into a psychedelic theme park featuring robots and automatons of all kinds. Including horny, spank loving cat kinds. And former stripper gone Robo Pope kinds.

The only reason this didn't get five stars from me is the characters. Especially Captain Carl pre-badass pirate. Don't get me wrong, I like them, I just didn't love them.

Other than that this book is great! The concepts are crazy/fun and if there was a spaceship leaving for Venus today,...more
Sheldon
Captain Carl is a Robo-pirate who develops and falls in love with an artificial intelligence that he has implanted into a placenta. This all takes place in an amusement park that covers the entire planet Venus. Don't worry. It's a lot to take in, and probably oversimplifies it a bit.

This is the basic plot behind Placenta of Love by Spike Marlowe, part of the 2011-2012 line in the New Bizarro Authors Series, which means that this is Marlowe's first published novel. Each chapter begins with the de...more
Devi
Placenta of Love is a short, enjoyable, and very strange read. I think its a strong book for a first published work by the author. Spike Marlowe knows how to write and I hope to see more from her in the future. Her voice is distinctive and oddly wonderful.

Definitely recommended to fans of Bizarro, especially those seeking newer authors.

Fingers crossed that the author will get signed to more books.

[Edit: After reading the book it stayed in my mind for weeks and I decided to bump up the rating...more
Christopher Reynaga
A kinky amusement park planet is threatened by a Godzilla-like placenta, and at the heart of it all, is the love between a robot pirate and the perfect woman he creates. Throw in a BDSM kitty and a burlesque dancing pope, and you have the recipe for a bizarre love story that's better than any B-movie.

While this is as weird and magical as you'd hope from a souped-up Bizarro novel, this is not your average weird tale. There is a surprising depth here in the romance, the dialog, and the bloody act...more
R.A. Harris
As with all the New Bizarro Author Series books, it helps if you take a break from caring for realism, and instead engage them on the level of an excited child. That is in no way a bad thing. They really are that fun and fantastic.

Placenta of Love is no exception. Spike Marlow crafts a funfair planet Venus populated by some quirky characters, and crafts a poignant plot (full of swashbuckling adventure!) revolving around one robot pirate and his love for a placenta. There is also a kinky cat who...more
Elisa
Some crazy, wacky stuff. I need to check out more bizarro, I love that the story is kind of dirty in a clean way and goes where you don't expect, but it really does all make sense in a twisted kinda way. Keeps ya on your toes.
Kathy
Both a romance and an adventure story taking place on a planet sized amusement park. What could possibly go wrong? Now, who wants to visit Venus with me?!
Richard Rooney
pirates/amusement parks/pure love and plcenta...this book has it all and so much more.
Andrea Donald
Andrea Donald marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014