Start by marking “Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light (Scarlet Hopewell #1)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light (Scarlet Hopewell #1)

Read eBook

Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light (Scarlet Hopewell #1)

In this newly edited republished second edition: Perhaps it's the fact that her puppy has grown to be twice the size of a normal German Shepherd and has started talking. Perhaps it's that mysterious evil figures are searching everywhere for her and her family, intent on ending her life. Or perhaps it's the fact that Scarlet Hopewell has just learned that she is one half of ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light

Brandon West
Nov 08, 2011 Brandon West rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ok, so this may be cheating a bit. This is my new novel, the first in a series of books for young adults. If you like the Harry Potter series, the Hobbit and the like, give it a read. I don't think you'll be disapointed.
Amie Gaudet

Genre: Young Adult Fantasy

Release Date: December 31, 2014

Publisher: Manor Minor Press

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

* I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book in a young adult fantasy series. The main character is a fourteen year old girl named Scarlet Hopewel
Joan Roman Pavlick
Apr 06, 2015 Joan Roman Pavlick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for the entire family that loves paranormal kids fantasy
Scarlet and Keeper of the Light by Brandon Charles West was a very enjoyable listen. It really was quite different than I expected from the synopsis. Not that it was off from the description it was so much better. All jammed packed into this 7 hour and 32 minute narration.This young 10+ paranormal fantasy with a bit dark, scary moments is a very well laid out book. I would say that this is more of an all of the family listen here!

From beginning to end you can’t wait for the next moment to happe
Powder River Rose
Feb 28, 2015 Powder River Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the very beginning I was hooked, it’s got appealing characters and magic…in general, a little something for everyone interested in YA fantasy. There’s the 14 year old female protagonist named Scarlet, talking wolves, family, fairies, big monsters, creepy people, good people, a library, two worlds in one and….a quest. While the story may be intended for female pre-teens and teens, I believe that all ages and both genders will enjoy it. Overall the story is filled with hope, loyalty, bravery, ...more
Laurie - The Baking Bookworm
Disclaimer: My sincere thanks to NetGalley and Manor Minor Press for providing me with a complimentary e-book copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

My Review: I went into this book not knowing too much about it other than it was a fantasy read for younger readers and the fact that the book description piqued my interest. While I'm not an avid reader of the fantasy genre I really enjoy books that blend a magical world living in tandem with our own.

I feel that this book would be great
Zaz
A parallel magical world, a prophecy and a sweet teenage girl with powers and red hairs. Shake all these ideas and you’ll meet Scarlet, her family and her new friends and allies. In this world she doesn’t know, she’ll have to tame her new powers, an essential thing if she wants to defeat the darkness. Luckily, she’s smart, inventive and resourceful. She’s very likable too, which helped a lot following her adventures and her chapters. My only complain with her could be the fact she’s a 14 years o ...more
Diane
Nov 16, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If your puppy suddenly grew to become twice the size of the biggest dog and began talking, wouldn't you suspect something was wrong? And if you stumbled on a prophecy that indicated that you were to play a key role in a bigger picture, what would you do?

Scarlet and the Keepers of Light presents just such a dilemma when Scarlet Hopewell discovers that her world is anything but ordinary and predictable. Her perception of reality vastly expands when the barriers between magical and non-magical worl
Steve
Jan 02, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading the Fantasy books that are written for the middle graders and early teens. They have a more pure feel to me. And this one is a very fine example.
Mr. West has created a amazing imaginative world that live in tandem with our own. Their fates closely tied together.
Sure, there are dark forces at work. But not so dark to scare away younger readers. There are battles as well. All age appropriate and letting each readers imagination add in the level of detail they are comfortable with.
Autumn
May 16, 2013 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an enchanting book. A simple, classic fairytale that is timeless. The good vs evil plot was well done and I love the world and the characters the author created.It's something all little girls will adore, but the author doesn't talk down to the reader so adults can enjoy it as well. I think it's refreshing that it doesn't have the main character chasing after boys & caring what everyone at school thinks of her, what she'll wear, or wanting to be popular, it's more family oriented. Sh ...more
Kay Ling
Mar 02, 2015 Kay Ling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very imaginative and well written

My only complaint is that there is no plot resolution at the end of the book, and I resent being left with what amounts to a cliffhanger ending. Yes, the resolution is foreshadowed and we expect good to triumph over evil, but when I buy a book I expect it to have a satisfactory conclusion, solving the original conflict. Fortunately the second book is available now, and between both I have spent a whopping $.99, so I really can't complain. But if I had more money
Yairy
Aug 06, 2015 Yairy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect book to read on summer afternoons. As soon as I picked it up, I was transported into a brand new world of imagination and fantasy. I love the combination of fantasy meets reality, not many manage to transition, or incorporate this so flawlessly in their stories without compromising the integrity of the story, but this author did and it made the reading even more wonderful.
The story was captivating, the characters well defined and even though Scarlet was only 14 years old, I
christopher jones
"Greg the Overlander" and "Scarlet and the Keepers of Light" Go Hand In Hand

Despite the flaws- and I found only one or two plot holes that were more like tiny dots- I fell on love with this series. It almost reminds me of "The Underland Chronicles" by Suzanne Collins, if anyone has read that, mixed with some Grimm fairy tales and Greek mythology- even something reminiscent of "The Hobbit!" Overall, it's a unique book and I'll recommend it to some friends if I can. So, if you like any of the abov
Frances
Although I love Harry Potter, fantasy is a genre I'm normally a bit cautious of. that said I did actually quite enjoy this book, although it is clearly wrirtten for young adults. Whilst it does not have the depth of Harry Potter, it stil has a nice family feel about it, and would be a good book for a family to listen to together. I very much enjoyed the "dogs" part in the story .
the narrator Harriet Stevens, did a good job bring the story to life, her voice did make the story convincing enough
Beth Yacoub
Nov 22, 2014 Beth Yacoub rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
That being said I must admit that this book is what I think of when I think of children's books done right! The world building is superb, the writing is not overly simplistic and babyish, the pace is never slow and not so fast as to feel rushed. There were dwarfs, magical assassins, light wielding winged people, talking kick a$$ animals, evil magical princes and more. I can not remember many kid's books causing me to lose sleep in r
Irene Bañuelos
Feb 12, 2015 Irene Bañuelos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, audible, 2015
I received this book free for review. In the audio version a couple of times there’s something done to the voice to give it a nice mystical feel, I think it works really well. I love how the whole family is involved in the story. Scarlet’s story is most important but I can see her father having an adventure of his own. Scarlet‘s sister has a special power which makes me want to see where she goes in the next book. Scarlet and the Keepers of Light gave me a Chronicles of Narnia vibe because it de ...more
Jessie
Jul 18, 2015 Jessie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddo, fantasy
The wonderful cover art attracted me to this book. A huge dog beside a girl? Count me in. Great character development and plenty of unexpected things; friends, villains, unknown men who may be good or bad, new talents... then the book dragged a bit in the middle and with the introduction of new characters the story got a little harder to follow or keep interest in. All in all I enjoyed the book but by the end I just didn't feel that it wrapped up very well. Perhaps it was written with a sequel i ...more
Alex Criddle
Nov 29, 2015 Alex Criddle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, it took me a couple of chapters to really get into this novel; but, when I did, I found myself drawn into a fantastic and unique world. The characters became more interesting and complex as the story progressed. I thought the various view points added more depth to the story, and the writing was absorbing. West created a memorable story with a captivating plot. I think readers of any age would find this novel exciting and entertaining.
Melissa Robitille
This book is a superlative example of modern children's writing. The author does not 'dumb down' or condescend to engage the child reader, but chooses to write in a manner that will engage children, young adults and adults. This is a book (and series) that I feel would be an excellent addition to any school library and a vast improvement over most of the books currently on the shelves in that library.
Ellen
Jun 05, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarlet and the Keepers of Light is a new fantasy series with many common elements: Scarlet has been chosen to fulfill a destiny against her polar opposite; she goes on a quest to learn magic; she has special abilities to do magic like no one else. That being said, the story is solidly told and has some charming characters that will make it memorable in a crowded genre, even if it doesn't set it apart. If the price is right, I'll delve into book two.
Phyllis
Jan 27, 2015 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Menkes
This story is a great fantasy for middle-school age or higher. I like the fact that Scarlet gets to have her adventures with her family, and that her family is obviously close, instead of the more common scenario where the hero or heroine goes off on a magical adventure leaving the family behind and completely unaware of what is going on.

I can recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy no matter what their age.
Reenie Peppers
May 03, 2015 Reenie Peppers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I listened to on audio - I'm finding that young adult books are quite enjoyable in audio format. The story starts out at a run and just keeps going at a fast pace. I am disappointed with the end, it is more of a break point before the next book in the series rather than an ending (unfortunately, the next book is not yet in audio format).
Bethany
Aug 05, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an enchanting and enjoyable book, and Brandon Charles West does an excellent job at world building and writes with flowing ease and charm. My only complaint is that the cliffhanger ending feels a bit weak, but otherwise, I couldn't fault this book without being very nit-picky!
Deedra
Jan 27, 2015 Deedra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!The storyline is great!An adventure story with a girl as the savior....will she be able to do it?Read it and find out!The narrator,Harriet Stevens, was wonderful with all the voices and readings.I will be waiting for a sequel to this one.
Fran
Feb 03, 2015 Fran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received thus audio book from Manor Minor Press in exchange for an honest review. I felt it was a little weak in character development, but this story had plenty of action. Fans of Narnia and Seekers would enjoy this very much.
Lesley
Jul 14, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm on the fence between giving this middle-grade book four or five stars. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are well drawn, and the writing is solid. If you enjoy fantasy, I recommend giving this series a try.
Bill Tillman
Scarlet and the Keepers of Light

Wow what a great new new fantasy adventure. Scarlet goes to a world of magic and finds she is a long expected last hope for that world. A really fun adventure especially for the mid grade audience.
Nube Cleyra
Oct 21, 2015 Nube Cleyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a magical and special book. It has a lovely atmosphere, dark and full of light equally. With a lovable characters and multiple shades. It is a very recommendable fantasy book.
Naomi
GOODREADS GIVEAWAY WIN.

A good old-fashioned children's fantasy adventure, if somewhat socially conservative, although perhaps that's part of its charm.
sherry stump
Feb 27, 2015 sherry stump rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

I love that it takes place in both worlds. I wish Scarlett was a little older but it is a great read.
Robin Ahearn
Nov 16, 2015 Robin Ahearn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a day. Some of the scenes seemed to really drag on but I loved this book. The last fantasy writer that got me into feeling this way about a book was Tamara Pierce.
« previous 1 3 next »
Q&A with Brandon ...: General Questions about the book and the series... 1 7 Dec 18, 2011 08:18PM
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Thaddeus Whiskers and the Dragon
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • Fing
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • Giggleswick: The Amadán Map (Giggleswick, #1)
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • Princess Callie and the Totally Amazing Talking Tiara (Callie Chronicles, #1)
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Anni Moon & The Elemental Artifact
  • Dragon Killer (Reckoning of Dragons #1)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Dragon Fire
  • Fourth Grade Fairy (Fourth Grade Fairy, #1)
  • Aster Wood and the Book of Leveling (Aster Wood, #2)
  • A New Pet in the Family
  • Echo McCool, Outlaw Through Time
5320883
Brandon was born in Virginia and as the son of an Army Officer spent much of his childhood living in Germany, Korea and several US states.
He is a graduate of the College of William and Mary where he majored in Government and Psychology.
Brandon is a firefighter, former Army officer, father, husband, movie buff and avid reader.
Brandon is the author of several novels including the young adult Scarle
More about Brandon Charles West...

Scarlet Hopewell (3 books)
  • Scarlet and the Dragon's Burden (Scarlet Hopewell, #2)
  • Scarlet and the Queen of the New World