Start by marking “Kimi's Secret” as Want to Read:
Kimi's Secret

Kimi's Secret

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  12 reviews
With a deformed hand, an affection for animal skulls, and a soft spot for Marmite, Kimi always knew she was different - but never how much until she’s thrown into the supernatural dimension of Heart, given powers beyond comprehension, a mission to alter the past, and a secret which must never be revealed.
Published October 24th 2011 (first published October 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Kimi's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kimi's Secret

Siobhan Daiko
Alice fell down the rabbit hole and Kimi is whisked off to Heart, a cross between Narnia, Phillip Pullman’s alternative earth (Heart being an anagram of earth, of course) and Wonderland. Hudspith’s world is populated with the most astonishing characters – from terrifying crows, strange fairy-like creatures (famoose, whose favourite food is rotten teeth), Tulpas (protectors created from the humans’ essence), Balancers (special humans), and many, many others. There’s lots of gloop and goo and gros ...more
Bookmuseuk
Reviewers: Emily, Alia and Caitlin

What We Thought:

Emily: I found this book absolutely tremendous! The types of sentences and words the writer uses are brilliant and the story line was gripping and exciting. It is about a girl called Kimi who has a 'Tulpa' called Bentley. She goes on an adventure to find out secrets about her life and herself that she never knew.

I really liked it when Bentley kept on changing his age because it was quite funny how he could just change ages so quickly. The story
Denna
Great YA novel. One of those rare few you find where adults can enjoy reading it as much as the kids. Fans of Harry Potter or Alice in Wonderland should also enjoy reading Kimi's Secret. A little bit of darkness mixed in this fun story added the perfect amount of tension to keep me turning those pages. Definitely one I'd recommend picking up. It earned its five-star rating from this big kid at heart.

I plan to post a full review in a couple of days.
Prue
Jan 06, 2013 Prue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all YA's.
Recommended to Prue by: Pam Howes
A brilliantly fast-paced engaging YA novel. I was shocked, scared and enthralled to the end. HIGHLY recommended for Adults and Kids alike.
Jessica Smith
I had high expectations of this book and I wasn't disappointed. Upon the arrival of a creepy prophetic crow, little Kimi's world is turned upside down. Launched into the world of Heart, with its collection of wonderfully eccentric characters, ominous terrors and gruesomely magical events, Kimi has to overcome all kinds of odds - and so will you alongside her. Exciting for adult or child alike this book will catapult you into another realm, with such colour and vibrancy you can't help but jump on ...more
JJ Marsh
It's Kimi's birthday tomorrow and she's hoping for some surprises, ideally in the shape of a pink limousine. But the surprises start early. A talking crow issues a scary prophecy and Kimi is whisked away to the very strange world of Heart, where the police are monkeys, dodo is the dish of the day, toads explode and no one would ever be stupid enough to wear pink.
Kimi has a job to do and needs to learn how to use her mojo - fast. Fortunately she has help from her friends and Adept Babbage, who ha
Derek
Good fun for the 9+ market (although parents beware, there's mention of a certain present giving North Pole resident in a throwaway line, so where the child reader stands on that might be important). It's a book of two parts - the set up where ten year old Kimi is taken to the world of Heart and meets various magical creatures and so on and then a time travel yarn which, although it falls foul of Barjavel's Grandfather Paradox, is still great fun.

The first part is a little long, though I note it
Lisa Hinsley
Kimi’s Secret starts out at a run and stays there. As a reader I hardly had a chance to breathe, the pace is wonderful. Kimi is a normal girl – at least she thinks so until her imaginary friend for years ago turns up and wants to whisk her away to another world. What follows is a terrific journey. You will meet Balancers, Adepts, Tuplas, find dodo’s alive once more and discover little fairy creatures called the famoose (who get a very bad end of the stick yet they are sooo loveable). There’s mag ...more
Chris Birdy
A wonderful fantasy that takes an ordinary girl to a wonderful land by her imaginary childhood friend. It's exciting, adventurous and full of surprises. This is a book that can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. What an imagination!
Bookworm
Well, I finally retrieved my copy of this book from a young visitor (long story/visiting bored teenager) and together we have formed a review. I'll let her go first...
`I thought it was really good. I've read loads of fantasy stuff but I liked this one because of the main character being a girl and she's kind of cool with a deformed hand. And oh yeah, Marmite!
I'm scared of birds so the crows were proper scary. She gets to go to this other world called Heart and it reminded me a bit of when Alice
D
Magical and captivating! The characters and places in this book are so richly portrayed, it feels as if you are right there in the thick of it. Some scenes are a little dark (which I loved!) but would not be upsetting for younger readers. Kimi's Secret made me miss my long forgotten, childhood, imaginary friend!
Liza Shaw
Liza Shaw marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Lisa Tynan
Lisa Tynan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Natasha Gough
Natasha Gough marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Stephanie Colman
Stephanie Colman marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Flora -
Flora - marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Caroline Doree
Caroline Doree marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Paolo Caracciolo
Paolo Caracciolo marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Aug 01, 2014
Lisa Buist
Lisa Buist marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Roo Barb
Roo Barb marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kimi's Fear Dirty Bad Wrong Godcorp 3 I Love You, Salvatore (The Five Families, #1) The Kallisti