Start by marking “Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners” as Want to Read:
Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners

Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  66 reviews
A little girl is shopping in a grocery store when—surprise!—she meets a dinosaur. Don't worry. The dinosaur is very friendly. She's polite, too. In this funny story, told in lilting read-aloud rhyme, the girl has numerous opportunities to be helpful to the clumsy shopping dino and demonstrate when to say "thank you," "excuse me," "I'm sorry," "You're welcome," and other ni ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur

Sandy Lee
The last thing we need is to worry about a dinosaur's body issues.
Lauren Brink
This story is about a young girl and a dinosaur that have numerous encounters at the grocery store. The story provides many scenarios at the grocery store where the little girl and the dinosaur use their manners. For example, the little girl has to go to the bathroom so she says, “excuse me” to the dinosaur. In addition to this, the dinosaur asks the little girl if she wants more banana chips and she responds, “yes, please.” Other manners used throughout the book are “I’m sorry,” “thank you,” “y ...more
Jack R.
It was very funny!
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: SUPPOSE YOU MEET A DINOSAUR: A FIRST BOOK OF MANNERS by Judy Sierra and Tim Bowers, ill., Knopf, January 2012, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-375-86720-0

"As prehistoric people began to react with one another, they learned to behave in ways that made life easier and more pleasant. Manners had a practical purpose."
-- from Oracle ThinkQuest, "How Etiquette Began"

"Imagine that the dinosaur
Is standing by a bathroom door.
You have to pee! She's in your way.
Quick! What's the proper thing to say?"

Manners are nice to have, but the process of instilling them can be kinda boring since more often than not, parents end up nagging their kids to mind their P's and Q's. To be fair, though, most kids don't mean to be rude — they're probably too preoccupied with having fun to remember the myriad dull rules that adults come up with.

Thus, Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur tries to make learning manners fun for the little ones — and it succeeds, too.

As the title suggests, the book proposes a fantastical sc
We already know and love the dinosaur/manners books by Jane Yolen (How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? and all the others), and we’ve enjoyed other books by talented children’s author Judy Sierra (especially Wild About Books (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature) — put them together and you’ve got a great read! Cute illustrations, well-written rhymes, and a good moral in this one.
A plucky pig-tailed toddler and a pink horn-rimmed spectacle wearing tyrannosaurus rex exhibit perfect manners during their grocery store encounter.
An avalanche of apples in the produce aisle exhibits a “thank you” from the dinosaur when the little girl offers to pick them up for her. When the little girl loses control of her shopping cart in the cereal aisle, and dings the dino on the shin, she offers up her apologies, “I'm sorry.”
This duo's exchange of niceties while traipsing through the gr
While grocery shopping, a young girl encounters a dinosaur in the aisles and at the check-out line. Both dinosaur and child have good manners, and know exactly what to say when they meet and when an accident occurs. The rhyming text makes this one fun to read aloud while also providing examples of when it is appropriate to say "please, "thank you," "no, thank you," or even "I'm sorry" or "excuse me." This is the perfect way to model good manners for youngsters, especially since it comes from a c ...more
Every child should read a book similar to this to inspire politeness and manners. We liked the pictures but my daughter was confused about why the dinosaur was worried about getting fat. As a future dietitian she has been taught by me that all things are in moderation. She thought the dinosaur was being a little silly. Still a good book.
Robert Weinstein
Really a three and a half. The illustrations are hilarous but at the service of teaching manners to kids. Which is fine, but the little girl and the dinosaur were so cool that I wanted to read their story. (by which i mean to say: the fault lies with me, not the authors.)
Preschool Storytime: Dinosaurs/Manners/Food theme

This is a great book for Preschool Storytime. It's a little on the longer side for storytime but it's okay because they keep the story fun and relate-able for the kids. It's interactive and the illustrations are nice.
Aug 29, 2014 Sharie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: f14
Great manners book ... real things for kids to learn and follow (I mean, besides the dinosaur part!)

Engaging pictures
Mostly good rhyming
This book was pretty adorable. My daughter loves dinosaurs and the little girl bares a resemblance to my little girl so she says the little girl is her. She's wanted to read it every night this week. Might be one we'll just have to get.
Neel likes the book because it was great! Deep liked the book because it told him about manners.
Aug 26, 2015 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
The kids liked yelling out the right things to say in storytime
Cute book with great illustrations!
Kelsey Yates
I thought it was adorable.
Wooden Horse
The manners may have been overlooked by my 3 year old boy cousin as he was more interested in the wondrously silly pictures by Tim Bowers. I'm pretty sure our Aunt owned a pair of glasses just like the ones the dinosaur is wearing. It's a great read aloud thanks to the rhyming text by Judy Sierra. In fact we read it a few times and got more animated with each telling. The little guy loves to be dramatic and tried to engage me in reenacting the scenes so maybe the manners did sink in a bit.
This book seemed like a knock off of Jane Yolen's "How Do Dinosaurs...?" series, but not as well illustrated or written. If you are looking for a manners/behavior book featuring dinosaurs, I would recommend those instead. Also, I cringed a little at the line where the dinosaur refused to eat something because it would make her look fat. Really? There wasn't any other scenario Sierra could create to illustrate the use of "no thank you"?

Somewhere in my travels, I ended up with a poster for this book. So before I affixed it to the wall in the Children's Library, I ordered the book. And, of course, I was quite pleased with this simple story about using manners (something that everyone should do, of course)illustrated with a large dinosaur who interacts with a young girl in the grocery store. The message here is: use your manners no matter what or who you meet!
The Library Lady
Okay, this is a book with a purpose, noted right in the subtitle. But since it's done by Judy Sierra it's done with a lovely light touch and rhymes that work. The dinosaur is a motherly type, complete with pink retro glasses and a purse. This should do well both with dinosaur lovers and with the sort of parents who constantly want crappy "Berenstain Bear" morality fables--and you can hand it to them without a shudder.
This sweet story, with it's fun illustrations and lilting read-aloud rhyming, is a great way to teach young children about manners.

A little girl meets a polite dinosaur at the grocery store. Throughout their encounters at the store the little girl and dino exchange niceties and demonstrate when it's proper (and polite) to use terms like: "Thank you," "Excuse me," "I'm sorry," and "You're welcome."
This is an excellent book about manners. Even though what is happening in the story will not happen in real life it a great example for kids its fun and has rhyming in the story as well.

Prepare a class snack and have the kids practice their manners by asking for more please and having to ask a classmate to please pass something etc.
Lovely rhyming story from the always wonderful Judy Sierra. It's a great book for teaching manners, in a call and response way perfect for storytime. My one quibble is the "taking food from a stranger" bit, even when the stranger is a motherly like dinosaur you just met at the grocery store. That's a conversation moment, to be sure.
A great story about manners that uses dinosaurs to illustrate the concept. Great examples of please, thank you, excuse me etc and the story is a good read even if someone picked it up with a dinosaur interest instead of a teaching interest. Short and sweet with cute pictures. Definitely worth recommending to teachers and parents.
Great Books
A pig-tailed girl and a pink-spectacled dinosaur demonstrate good manners while grocery shopping. Rhyming text and comic illustrations set up scenarios prompting children to guess the polite response. Perfect for reading aloud, children will ask to "please" hear it again. Reviewer 11.
Sharon Lawler
Rhyming text and brightly painted illustrations tell the tale of a little girl and a giant dinosaur cross paths while grocery shopping. "Excuse me", "thank you", and "I'm sorry", are just a few of the phrases our your little girl gets to say to the dinosaur.
Margo Dill
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I think the illustrations are adorable, and I think that the author did a great job of presenting situations where you have to use manners in a fun and engaging way. I thought it was clever and well done, and I featured it on my blog!
Katherine Willis Pershey
A perfectly good book, save for an unfortunate and unnecessary line about how the dinosaur doesn't want to eat butter brickle because she is worried that it will make her fat. Not remotely the kind of message we want to introduce to our daughters.
  • The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • Waking Dragons
  • Beep and Bah
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Chloe, Instead
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • The Lonely Book
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story
  • We March
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Wolf Won't Bite!
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop ...more
More about Judy Sierra...