Start by marking “Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners” as Want to Read:
Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners

Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  314 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
A little girl is shopping in a grocery store when—surprise!—she meets a dinosaur. Don't worry. The dinosaur is very friendly. She's polite, too. In this funny story, told in lilting read-aloud rhyme, the girl has numerous opportunities to be helpful to the clumsy shopping dino and demonstrate when to say "thank you," "excuse me," "I'm sorry," "You're welcome," and other ni ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur

Sandy Lee
Dec 06, 2014 Sandy Lee rated it it was ok
The last thing we need is to worry about a dinosaur's body issues.
Chelsey
Dec 05, 2015 Chelsey rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books that we chose, it was a book with underlying message for children but was still so simple and enjoyable, the illustrations and characters were so adorable and well-drawn, they gave life to the book and such great emotion to the characters. This book was about a little girl who goes into a grocery store and interacts with a dinosaur, they do things like bump into each other and giving each other banana chips but they also use their manners like please and thank y ...more
Lauren Brink
Apr 22, 2015 Lauren Brink rated it really liked it
This story is about a young girl and a dinosaur that have numerous encounters at the grocery store. The story provides many scenarios at the grocery store where the little girl and the dinosaur use their manners. For example, the little girl has to go to the bathroom so she says, “excuse me” to the dinosaur. In addition to this, the dinosaur asks the little girl if she wants more banana chips and she responds, “yes, please.” Other manners used throughout the book are “I’m sorry,” “thank you,” “y ...more
Jack R.
Feb 23, 2015 Jack R. rated it it was amazing
It was very funny!
Britta Krueger
Dec 17, 2015 Britta Krueger rated it it was amazing
A small little girl meets a T-Rex at a grocery store one day. She models a polite way to interact with people and strangers. This book demonstrates common mannerisms that children should learn and know. Sierra uses friendly dialogue such as: “Your shopping cart begins to spin. It dings the dino on the shin. She roars a terrifying roar. What do you tell the dinosaur?” She brings comical dialogue and voice to teach young children simple phrases like 'please' and 'thank you.' This book is great for ...more
Richie Partington
Feb 09, 2012 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: SUPPOSE YOU MEET A DINOSAUR: A FIRST BOOK OF MANNERS by Judy Sierra and Tim Bowers, ill., Knopf, January 2012, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-375-86720-0

"As prehistoric people began to react with one another, they learned to behave in ways that made life easier and more pleasant. Manners had a practical purpose."
-- from Oracle ThinkQuest, "How Etiquette Began"

"Imagine that the dinosaur
Is standing by a bathroom door.
You have to pee! She's in your way.
Quick! What's the proper thing to say?"

To
picturethisbook.com
Oct 24, 2013 picturethisbook.com rated it really liked it
Manners are nice to have, but the process of instilling them can be kinda boring since more often than not, parents end up nagging their kids to mind their P's and Q's. To be fair, though, most kids don't mean to be rude — they're probably too preoccupied with having fun to remember the myriad dull rules that adults come up with.

Thus, Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur tries to make learning manners fun for the little ones — and it succeeds, too.

As the title suggests, the book proposes a fantastical sc
Beth
Jan 01, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We already know and love the dinosaur/manners books by Jane Yolen (How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? and all the others), and we’ve enjoyed other books by talented children’s author Judy Sierra (especially Wild About Books (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature) — put them together and you’ve got a great read! Cute illustrations, well-written rhymes, and a good moral in this one.
Jeri
Jun 26, 2012 Jeri rated it really liked it
A plucky pig-tailed toddler and a pink horn-rimmed spectacle wearing tyrannosaurus rex exhibit perfect manners during their grocery store encounter.
An avalanche of apples in the produce aisle exhibits a “thank you” from the dinosaur when the little girl offers to pick them up for her. When the little girl loses control of her shopping cart in the cereal aisle, and dings the dino on the shin, she offers up her apologies, “I'm sorry.”
This duo's exchange of niceties while traipsing through the gr
Barbara
Mar 06, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
While grocery shopping, a young girl encounters a dinosaur in the aisles and at the check-out line. Both dinosaur and child have good manners, and know exactly what to say when they meet and when an accident occurs. The rhyming text makes this one fun to read aloud while also providing examples of when it is appropriate to say "please, "thank you," "no, thank you," or even "I'm sorry" or "excuse me." This is the perfect way to model good manners for youngsters, especially since it comes from a c ...more
Nikki
May 27, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Every child should read a book similar to this to inspire politeness and manners. We liked the pictures but my daughter was confused about why the dinosaur was worried about getting fat. As a future dietitian she has been taught by me that all things are in moderation. She thought the dinosaur was being a little silly. Still a good book.
Robert Weinstein
Jun 30, 2015 Robert Weinstein rated it really liked it
Really a three and a half. The illustrations are hilarous but at the service of teaching manners to kids. Which is fine, but the little girl and the dinosaur were so cool that I wanted to read their story. (by which i mean to say: the fault lies with me, not the authors.)
Ang
Oct 18, 2015 Ang rated it liked it
Preschool Storytime: Dinosaurs/Manners/Food theme

This is a great book for Preschool Storytime. It's a little on the longer side for storytime but it's okay because they keep the story fun and relate-able for the kids. It's interactive and the illustrations are nice.
Leslie
Feb 21, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
A fun book to review manners with young children. Suppose you meet a dinosaur at the grocery story, just what do you say? This would be a great read aloud!
Joey Hines
Jun 16, 2016 Joey Hines rated it really liked it
Shelves: dinosaurs, manners, e
4.5 stars! So much better than I expected. Manners books tend to be a bit stuffy, but this one is ultra-fun and would work wonderfully for storytime.
Debby Baumgartner
A little girl encounters a dinosaur in the grocery store. How does she respond to the dinosaur with the right words in different situations but to use good manners.
Roxanna
Feb 16, 2014 Roxanna rated it it was amazing
This book was pretty adorable. My daughter loves dinosaurs and the little girl bares a resemblance to my little girl so she says the little girl is her. She's wanted to read it every night this week. Might be one we'll just have to get.
Barnak
Neel likes the book because it was great! Deep liked the book because it told him about manners.
Jen
Aug 26, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The kids liked yelling out the right things to say in storytime
Dana
Apr 16, 2016 Dana rated it it was amazing
Incredibly cute book of manners for preschool children.
Susan
Jul 11, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
I want to buy this for my kids, when I have kids.
Lorelie
Dec 31, 2015 Lorelie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another great book by Judy Sierra! Very cute.
Peacegal
Aug 14, 2014 Peacegal rated it liked it
Cute book with great illustrations!
Kelsey Yates
Oct 21, 2014 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I thought it was adorable.
Wooden Horse
The manners may have been overlooked by my 3 year old boy cousin as he was more interested in the wondrously silly pictures by Tim Bowers. I'm pretty sure our Aunt owned a pair of glasses just like the ones the dinosaur is wearing. It's a great read aloud thanks to the rhyming text by Judy Sierra. In fact we read it a few times and got more animated with each telling. The little guy loves to be dramatic and tried to engage me in reenacting the scenes so maybe the manners did sink in a bit.
Tara
Feb 01, 2013 Tara rated it it was ok
This book seemed like a knock off of Jane Yolen's "How Do Dinosaurs...?" series, but not as well illustrated or written. If you are looking for a manners/behavior book featuring dinosaurs, I would recommend those instead. Also, I cringed a little at the line where the dinosaur refused to eat something because it would make her look fat. Really? There wasn't any other scenario Sierra could create to illustrate the use of "no thank you"?

Robin
Sep 17, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Somewhere in my travels, I ended up with a poster for this book. So before I affixed it to the wall in the Children's Library, I ordered the book. And, of course, I was quite pleased with this simple story about using manners (something that everyone should do, of course)illustrated with a large dinosaur who interacts with a young girl in the grocery store. The message here is: use your manners no matter what or who you meet!
The Library Lady
Apr 12, 2012 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, this is a book with a purpose, noted right in the subtitle. But since it's done by Judy Sierra it's done with a lovely light touch and rhymes that work. The dinosaur is a motherly type, complete with pink retro glasses and a purse. This should do well both with dinosaur lovers and with the sort of parents who constantly want crappy "Berenstain Bear" morality fables--and you can hand it to them without a shudder.
Caranna
Nov 03, 2013 Caranna rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
This sweet story, with it's fun illustrations and lilting read-aloud rhyming, is a great way to teach young children about manners.

A little girl meets a polite dinosaur at the grocery store. Throughout their encounters at the store the little girl and dino exchange niceties and demonstrate when it's proper (and polite) to use terms like: "Thank you," "Excuse me," "I'm sorry," and "You're welcome."
  • The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
  • Secret Pizza Party
  • Gracias/Thanks
  • Just a Minute!
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Waking Dragons
  • Me Want Pet!
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Mr. Maxwell's Mouse
  • Beep and Bah
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • We March
  • The Lonely Book
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop ...more
More about Judy Sierra...