Start by marking “Afterlife (Fall of Angels, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Afterlife (Fall of Angels, #3.5)

Afterlife (Fall of Angels #3.5)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,433 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Afterlife is the 11,000 word novelette companion to Vindicated (Fall of Angels)

Cole Emerson never was and never will be a good man. He has his position for a reason. But there are consequences for returning to the world of the living. He is about to lose the one thing he still has, his leadership of the condemned. As if that wasn't punishment enough, one of his brothers is
Published November 10th 2011 (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterlife

Tommaso by Mimi Jean PamfiloffImmortal Matchmakers, Inc. by Mimi Jean PamfiloffTail of the Devil by Danielle DeVorAncient Blood by Brian Patrick McKinleyDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Immortals
93rd out of 107 books — 268 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienWaking Beauty by Elyse FriedmanThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettIt by Stephen King
Forever Reread
26th out of 113 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenni Merritt
Dec 06, 2011 Jenni Merritt rated it really liked it
Aferlife is the perfect companion to the Fall of Angel series. Especially for those of us who liked Cole a little too much.

Note: Do NOT read this until you have read book three, Vindicated. The events take place during that book, and you will be very lost if you read Afterlife first.

That being said, I loved finding out what was going on with bad boy Cole during the events of Vindicated. Cole is a character that very much so has intrigued me, and getting the chance to read a little more about him
consumedbyheavenlyfire
Marianne
Sep 17, 2013 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: angels, hot-badboys
I was really looking forward to Cole's POV, but as I read this novella I couldn't help but feel a little cheated. We got snippets and time jumps from Cole's life while the events from Vindicated unfolded. IMHO this story would have been better, had it been incorporated into Vindicated.

Also, I got the feeling the author didn't quite know what direction she wanted to take Cole. Here, we see a somewhat changed man, willing to risk his own position for another human being. He realizes that he might
Kelli
I want to start this off by saying that I enjoyed the actual books in the Fall of Angels series. This was a novella to accompany the final book in the series and it was ok, i guess. The only question it really answers it what happens with Cole's council position. Other than that, he kills a few people and that's about it. This was extremely short and definitely not worth the $1.99 that amazon is charging for it. Its worth like $0.50, maybe. It's just really short, so unless you really want somet ...more
Apr 30, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Cole, the leader of the condemned, the quintessential black hearted, self centered, megalomaniac I love to hate and hate to love. I truly enjoyed seeing things from his perspective, knowing that my assumptions about him were mostly true...somewhere in the pit of his tortured and blackened soul, there is light.
Mae Sell
Jul 11, 2012 Mae Sell rated it it was amazing
Keary Taylor is such a talented author !

I went from book to another in her trilogy without a break,
I just could not get enough of the story!!
So well written! The characters and the story line were so engrossing !!
Afterlife was a surprising treat and complemented the trilogy.
Emma T Clement
Jun 04, 2016 Emma T Clement rated it it was ok
An interesting novelette from Cole's POV. However, I did feel a little cheated, as I would have liked it to be a bit longer.
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
The Forever Song is the absolute perfect finish to the Blood of Eden series and not just because it ties everything up brilliantly, but because it is a beautiful book in its own right and I can’t remember the last series I read where the final book is a patch on the others; yet Julie Kagawa amazes me again and I think this is truly the best book in the series which is saying something for a phenomenal series.

All the characters are back with a vengeance and they carried a really dark mood that wa
Jacqueline Bendrick
Short but sweet, this novella was a nice finishing touch for this fabulous series. I was interesting to get the other side of the story (from Cole's point of view.) A little bit disappointing...it was sooooo short that I read it in about 20 min.
Tanisha Johnson
Oct 30, 2014 Tanisha Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice conclusion

I loved the trilogy and this was a nice ending to the series. Even though Cole was the bad guy I'm glad he got his happy ending.
Yarelis Martínez
Aug 19, 2016 Yarelis Martínez rated it really liked it
Ok, I really like this one. Cole will always be incorrigible, but at least there is something buried very, very, VERY deep within him.
Maraya21
Oct 01, 2015 Maraya21 rated it it was amazing

I was glad to see a segment written about Cole. He was my favourite in the series! Best villain ever!
Charity
Jul 24, 2014 Charity rated it liked it
I think this could have been fit into the last book instead of making it separate. That being said, it was still good
Shaina Alexandra Manette
Mar 11, 2015 Shaina Alexandra Manette rated it really liked it
I really liked this companion. It was interesting to read what Cole was going through as well as what was happening in the afterlife. I always liked the theme behind this series and it's such an interesting take on something we know nothing but base our own theories on. Well done!
Michelle Wong
Afterlife is a "novelette" that's all about Cole - in case readers were wondering what happened to him or what was going on in his head. It's short and Cole's ridiculously confused in it - but it's nice that he finally has a definitive ending. I liked learning about him & how he deals with things as the Leader of the Condemned - and seeing what happened in the Afterlife because of Jessica & Alex.

I don't think this book really needed to be written, but it was still nice. If you have it or
Asia
Jan 07, 2016 Asia rated it liked it
It's "Vindicated" from Cole's perspective. He's still bad but he feels good about it.
Maija
Feb 04, 2012 Maija rated it liked it
I realy liked this glimpse of Cole's POV in Vindicated.
Cole helped Jennifer and pretty much saved her life, and risked his position in afterlife by doing so.
He clearly had feeling for her and even maybe loved her. Later he understood that he can't have her and he has to let her be.
But it seemed that Cole was falling for this condemed woman, Cimbra, who he had killed to save Jennifer from Jeremiah(the bad guy who wanted Cole's position) and who was Jeremiah's daugther.
Anyhow, it very fast and eas
Amanda
Mar 20, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, 2016
I love that Cole finally got his happy ending...even if he is damned. Wonderful companion to the series.
Katie
Nov 03, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
I really liked this little novella. It was nice to see the events of Vindicated through Cole's eyes. He was a lot more vicious than I'd first realized, but it was a nice change from Jessica's perspective. Seeing things through Cole's eyes gave a wholeness to the third Branded novel. I liked that it filled in the parts of Vindicated that we didn't get to see. I would recommend this novel as a quick, last little wrap-up after finishing Vindicated.
Rachmi
Aug 13, 2012 Rachmi rated it liked it
"Some of us aren't meant to ever have what we want in life. And sometimes we need learn to let go of the things we want but can't have"

This is a short story as a companion of Vindicated from Fall of Angels series. This is Cole's story. I'm glad I read it. I like to know the reason behind his action in Vindicated although it's just a glimpse. And I love how Cole finally accept what he can't have and start a new life.
Dec 26, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
I was glad to have Cole's side of events, but I felt a lack of real insight and that his progression ended up being a circular track- despite all the movement, no actual growth or progress is seen in the finished product. He's right back where he started. Then again, real redemption-conversion of intent and motivation- isn't really a focus in this series except as a byline for Emily.
Maureen Hoar
Dec 11, 2011 Maureen Hoar rated it it was amazing
What a great filler for what went on behind the scenes with Cole. The turmoil in the council was reflective of the turmoil inside of Cole. Just when I thought he could be good, he pulls some very evil stunts to get his way! What a great end to a fantastic series!
Margarita
Dec 18, 2013 Margarita rated it it was amazing
This novella was a great addition the the trilogy. Cole was a bad person, but I still couldn't help myself I really liked his character. This book gave you insight into his troubled past and why he became the villain you can't help yourself but love.
Ann-Kristin
Aug 12, 2012 Ann-Kristin rated it really liked it
It's a short story about Cole, one of the good (but oh so evil) things from this serie. You only get to know what happens with his position in the counsil and how he reacted towards Jeremiah(not sure if that was his name).
Cathy
Jul 21, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it
I don't think this was necessary and I might have enjoyed it if I liked Cole more. Loved the series but this novelette didn't add anything to the series for me.
May 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Cute little short reviewing some of the things from book 3 but from Cole's perspective. If you are a fan of Cole like I am, you'll enjoy this read :)
Kitty
Oct 01, 2013 Kitty rated it it was ok
It explained some things,which is good, but then she completely gave up on the ending. Very second rate author, and the last book I will read of hers.
Nicole
Mar 02, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I loved this little novella. It was nice getting to read more about Cole. Another great story by Keary Taylor.
Naurarwen
Dec 07, 2011 Naurarwen rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet and to the point. Will update this further after reading the final instalment of Fall of Angels
Desiree
Nov 27, 2011 Desiree rated it really liked it
it was nice to read things from coles point of view. Its the perfect companion to The Fall of Angels trilogy.
  • Predestined (Preordained, #2)
  • Origins of Dark Angel (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #3.5)
  • No Mercy (Cambion, #2.5)
  • Tremble (Celestra, #2)
  • Eternity (Guardian Trilogy, #2)
  • Beloved Purgatory (Fallen Angels, #2)
  • The Ascended (The Saving Angels, #3)
  • Grace of Day (Grace, #4)
  • Second Sight (Sojourner, #3)
  • Chosen (Stained, #3)
  • The Reckoning (The Fahllen, #2)
  • Mea Culpa (Requiem, #1.5)
3420702
Keary Taylor is the USA TODAY bestselling author of over a dozen novels. She grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now splits her time between a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest and Utah, with her husband and their two children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that freque ...more
More about Keary Taylor...

Fall of Angels (3 books)
  • Branded (Fall of Angels, #1)
  • Forsaken (Fall of Angels, #2)
  • Vindicated (Fall of Angels, #3)

“There was something damningly exhilarating about ending a human life.” 1 likes