Start by marking “Afterlife (Fall of Angels, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Afterlife (Fall of Angels, #3.5)

Afterlife (Fall of Angels #3.5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,021 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Afterlife is the 11,000 word novelette companion to Vindicated (Fall of Angels)

Cole Emerson never was and never will be a good man. He has his position for a reason. But there are consequences for returning to the world of the living. He is about to lose the one thing he still has, his leadership of the condemned. As if that wasn't punishment enough, one of his brothers is...more
Published November 10th 2011 (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterlife

In His Eyes Anthology by S.R. JohannesTales from the Hollow Tree Volume One by Isabelle SantiagoTranscendent by Lani WoodlandFrom Fame to Shame by Veronica BladeRunner by Logan Rutherford
Short Story 2012 Challenge
50th out of 68 books — 54 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienWaking Beauty by Elyse FriedmanThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettIt by Stephen King
Forever Reread
16th out of 113 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenni Merritt
Aferlife is the perfect companion to the Fall of Angel series. Especially for those of us who liked Cole a little too much.

Note: Do NOT read this until you have read book three, Vindicated. The events take place during that book, and you will be very lost if you read Afterlife first.

That being said, I loved finding out what was going on with bad boy Cole during the events of Vindicated. Cole is a character that very much so has intrigued me, and getting the chance to read a little more about him...more
consumedbyheavenlyfire
Marianne
I was really looking forward to Cole's POV, but as I read this novella I couldn't help but feel a little cheated. We got snippets and time jumps from Cole's life while the events from Vindicated unfolded. IMHO this story would have been better, had it been incorporated into Vindicated.

Also, I got the feeling the author didn't quite know what direction she wanted to take Cole. Here, we see a somewhat changed man, willing to risk his own position for another human being. He realizes that he might...more
Kelli
I want to start this off by saying that I enjoyed the actual books in the Fall of Angels series. This was a novella to accompany the final book in the series and it was ok, i guess. The only question it really answers it what happens with Cole's council position. Other than that, he kills a few people and that's about it. This was extremely short and definitely not worth the $1.99 that amazon is charging for it. Its worth like $0.50, maybe. It's just really short, so unless you really want somet...more
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
The Forever Song is the absolute perfect finish to the Blood of Eden series and not just because it ties everything up brilliantly, but because it is a beautiful book in its own right and I can’t remember the last series I read where the final book is a patch on the others; yet Julie Kagawa amazes me again and I think this is truly the best book in the series which is saying something for a phenomenal series.

All the characters are back with a vengeance and they carried a really dark mood that wa...more
Charity
I think this could have been fit into the last book instead of making it separate. That being said, it was still good
Michelle Wong
Afterlife is a "novelette" that's all about Cole - in case readers were wondering what happened to him or what was going on in his head. It's short and Cole's ridiculously confused in it - but it's nice that he finally has a definitive ending. I liked learning about him & how he deals with things as the Leader of the Condemned - and seeing what happened in the Afterlife because of Jessica & Alex.

I don't think this book really needed to be written, but it was still nice. If you have it or...more
Maija
I realy liked this glimpse of Cole's POV in Vindicated.
Cole helped Jennifer and pretty much saved her life, and risked his position in afterlife by doing so.
He clearly had feeling for her and even maybe loved her. Later he understood that he can't have her and he has to let her be.
But it seemed that Cole was falling for this condemed woman, Cimbra, who he had killed to save Jennifer from Jeremiah(the bad guy who wanted Cole's position) and who was Jeremiah's daugther.
Anyhow, it very fast and eas...more
Emma Clement
An interesting novelette from Cole's POV. However, I did feel a little cheated, as I would have liked it to be a bit longer.
Katie
I really liked this little novella. It was nice to see the events of Vindicated through Cole's eyes. He was a lot more vicious than I'd first realized, but it was a nice change from Jessica's perspective. Seeing things through Cole's eyes gave a wholeness to the third Branded novel. I liked that it filled in the parts of Vindicated that we didn't get to see. I would recommend this novel as a quick, last little wrap-up after finishing Vindicated.
Rachmi
"Some of us aren't meant to ever have what we want in life. And sometimes we need learn to let go of the things we want but can't have"

This is a short story as a companion of Vindicated from Fall of Angels series. This is Cole's story. I'm glad I read it. I like to know the reason behind his action in Vindicated although it's just a glimpse. And I love how Cole finally accept what he can't have and start a new life.
Laura Myrick
I was glad to have Cole's side of events, but I felt a lack of real insight and that his progression ended up being a circular track- despite all the movement, no actual growth or progress is seen in the finished product. He's right back where he started. Then again, real redemption-conversion of intent and motivation- isn't really a focus in this series except as a byline for Emily.
Cole, the leader of the condemned, the quintessential black hearted, self centered, megalomaniac I love to hate and hate to love. I truly enjoyed seeing things from his perspective, knowing that my assumptions about him were mostly true...somewhere in the pit of his tortured and blackened soul, there is light.
Mae Sell
Keary Taylor is such a talented author !

I went from book to another in her trilogy without a break,
I just could not get enough of the story!!
So well written! The characters and the story line were so engrossing !!
Afterlife was a surprising treat and complemented the trilogy.
Maureen Hoar
What a great filler for what went on behind the scenes with Cole. The turmoil in the council was reflective of the turmoil inside of Cole. Just when I thought he could be good, he pulls some very evil stunts to get his way! What a great end to a fantastic series!
Margarita
This novella was a great addition the the trilogy. Cole was a bad person, but I still couldn't help myself I really liked his character. This book gave you insight into his troubled past and why he became the villain you can't help yourself but love.
Ann-Kristin
It's a short story about Cole, one of the good (but oh so evil) things from this serie. You only get to know what happens with his position in the counsil and how he reacted towards Jeremiah(not sure if that was his name).
Cathy
I don't think this was necessary and I might have enjoyed it if I liked Cole more. Loved the series but this novelette didn't add anything to the series for me.
Cute little short reviewing some of the things from book 3 but from Cole's perspective. If you are a fan of Cole like I am, you'll enjoy this read :)
Kitty
It explained some things,which is good, but then she completely gave up on the ending. Very second rate author, and the last book I will read of hers.
Nicole
I loved this little novella. It was nice getting to read more about Cole. Another great story by Keary Taylor.
Naurarwen
Short, sweet and to the point. Will update this further after reading the final instalment of Fall of Angels
Desiree
it was nice to read things from coles point of view. Its the perfect companion to The Fall of Angels trilogy.
Melissa Chiuz
I have to say that reading this book from the POV of Cole makes me like him even more.
Cheryl
I loved this companion story couldn't end without finishing Cole's story'!
Adalinda Gonzales
Absolutely love Cole even though he is meant to be evil. <3 <3
Antionette
filled in a few gaps. but nothing I couldn't live without.
Sisi
I enjoyed this short deeper look into Cole....he rocks
Adriana Rios de Biedermann
Perfect shot story! Amazing...Love Colé side
Fallen for books
really liked Cole's point of view. :)
  • No Mercy (Cambion, #2.5)
  • Eternity (Guardian Trilogy, #2)
  • Origins of Dark Angel (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Predestined (Preordained, #2)
  • The Ascended (The Saving Angels, #3)
  • Tremble (Celestra, #2)
  • Blessed (The Watchers, #2)
  • Stolen (Stained, #2)
  • Grace of Day (Grace, #4)
  • Taken (The Watchers, #0.5)
  • Fated (The Bloodstone Saga, #2)
  • The Reckoning (The Fahllen, #2)
  • Devotion (Soul Savers, #3)
  • Second Sight (Sojourner, #3)
3420702
Keary Taylor grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now resides on a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and their two young children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that frequently keeps her up at night. She is the author of THE EDEN TRILOGY, the FALL OF AN...more
More about Keary Taylor...
Branded (Fall of Angels, #1) What I Didn't Say Forsaken (Fall of Angels, #2) Vindicated (Fall of Angels, #3) Eden (The Eden Trilogy, #1)

“There was something damningly exhilarating about ending a human life.” 0 likes