Start by marking “Three Cheers for Me: The Journals of Bartholomew Bandy, R.F.C. (1962 version) ” as Want to Read:
Three Cheers for Me: The Journals of Bartholomew Bandy, R.F.C. (1962 version)

Three Cheers for Me: The Journals of Bartholomew Bandy, R.F.C. (1962 version) (The Bandy Papers #1)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The year is 1916 and subversive young Bartholomew Bandy is leaving behind hearth & home, religion & boiled cabbage, to fight in the Great War, where the blank, expressionless face he developed for annoying the pious hypocrites of his home-town gets a new use in driving senior officers and other pompous figures of authority apoplectic with rage.

Like any young man se
ebook, First e-book edition
Published November 11th 2011 by Sybertooth Inc (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Three Cheers for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Cheers for Me

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeAnne of the Island by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
Great Canadian Books
45th out of 80 books — 19 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodLife of Pi by Yann MartelAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryWater for Elephants by Sara GruenA Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Best Canadian Literature
353rd out of 737 books — 626 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Undeservedly obscure, this book kicks off the series of novels that follow Bartholomew Bandy and his military exploits from WWI through WWII. The stolid and cheerful Bandy, son of a rural Canadian pastor, finds himself shipped off to Europe to serve in the infantry, armed with much advice about protecting his feet and strict parental commands to abstain from alcohol, tobacco and sex. He promises to do so. He tries to keep his promises, but he fails through a series of accidents or through the ge ...more
Carolyn
That was a fun little romp.

Jack delivers some great anecdotes filled with dead pan humour. This collection chronicles the adventures of Bart Bandy, the son of a philandering preacher, stationed in Britain during WWI. Many of the situations Bandy finds himself are literally laugh out loud funny. The only major drawback though,this really is just a sequential array of stories that lack any cohesive narrative between. None the less, a nicely written read filled with lots of good woody words to chew
Lynn Dove
Quirky, laugh out loud exploits of one of the most endearing, bumbling characters I have ever come across in a book. He is Mr. Bean, all three of the "Stooges" and Red Skelton rolled into one! He is also Canadian! Great Read!
B Sausser
I've read and thoroughly enjoyed this book several times over the past forty years. It's like a visit with an old friend.
Kim
I didn't care to much for this book. It made me laugh out loud in some places but I found it to still be a bit boring.The main character reminded me of the comic strip character Beatle Baily. It was an ok book, but i won't be reading the rest of the series.
Gabriele Wills
A clever and hilarious look at World War 1 that is, at the same time, filled with facts. Bartholomew Bandy is an unlikely but delightful and unforgettable "hero". Not as side-splitting as the second book in the series, it is still laugh-out-loud funny.
Lindsay
This was a pleasant surprise. It was a little slow to get going but there were some moments in this novel that were sooo funny I cried so they made up for the slow beginning.

Also nice to have stuff happenning in and around Canada.
Serena
I probably would have given it 3 stars, had it not been a Canadian book. Being Canadian automatically gets you an extra star. Good book. Will probably read the rest of the Bandy Papers books.
Cheryl Cowtan
I read this book when I was a rebellious teenager who was too cool for school. BUT I wasn't too cool for this book. It was hilarious! A definite re-read for the future.
Alix
Fantastic. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this author before. I'm definitely going to read the rest of the series ASAP.
Michael
Okay. Maybe I'm cheating but it is still good to go back and re-read a classic. And this is one.
Nancy
Reading Terry Fallis reminds me of Donald Jack wonderfully funny Bandy Papers series.
Trinette
Very funny book. Loved that it was a story of a Canadian during WW1.
Orla Hegarty
Anyone that can make WWI funny has talent. Many lol moments.
Nancy
A hoot. It probably helps to have an interest in/knowledge of WWI.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Bev Walkling
Bev Walkling marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Leon Heit
Leon Heit marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Adrian Stacy
Adrian Stacy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Ian St
Ian St added it
Apr 10, 2015
Justin Van Winkle
Justin Van Winkle marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New edition - Three Cheers For Me 2 12 Jan 25, 2014 04:23PM
  • Shock Troops: Canadians Fighting the Great War 1917-1918 Volume 2
  • The Great Escape: A Canadian Story
  • Marching as to War: Canada's Turbulent Years
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • The Miracle Game
  • Short Straw Bride
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • The Joyous Season
  • Miss Whittier Makes a List
  • On Leaving Charleston
  • More Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Surrender A Dream
  • And No Birds Sang
  • The Fifty Foot Detective
  • Canoe Lake
  • The Truth about Sharks and Pigeons
  • TINSEL
  • Behind the Curtain
Novelist, playwright, and scriptwriter. Best known for his "Bandy Papers" novels about WWI ace Bartholomew Bandy, which won Jack the Leacock award three times for volumes of the series. Also penned the first modern play performed at the Stratford Festival of Canada, and wrote numerous scripts for television and radio.
More about Donald Jack...

The Bandy Papers (9 books)
  • That's Me in the Middle (The Bandy Papers, #2)
  • It's Me Again (The Bandy Papers, #3)
  • Me Bandy, You Cissie (The Bandy Papers, #4)
  • Me Too (The Bandy Papers, #5)
  • This One's on Me (The Bandy Papers, #6)
  • Me So Far (The Bandy Papers, #7)
  • Hitler vs. Me (The Bandy Papers, #8)
  • Stalin vs. Me (The Bandy Papers, #9)
That's Me in the Middle (The Bandy Papers, #2) It's Me Again (The Bandy Papers, #3) Me Bandy, You Cissie (The Bandy Papers, #4) Me Too (The Bandy Papers, #5) This One's on Me (The Bandy Papers, #6)