Start by marking “Three Cheers for Me: The Journals of Bartholomew Bandy, R.F.C. (1962 version) ” as Want to Read:
Three Cheers for Me: The Journals of Bartholomew Bandy, R.F.C. (1962 version)

Three Cheers for Me: The Journals of Bartholomew Bandy, R.F.C. (1962 version) (The Bandy Papers #1)

The year is 1916 and subversive young Bartholomew Bandy is leaving behind hearth & home, religion & boiled cabbage, to fight in the Great War, where the blank, expressionless face he developed for annoying the pious hypocrites of his home-town gets a new use in driving senior officers and other pompous figures of authority apoplectic with rage.

Like any young man se
ebook, First e-book edition
Published November 11th 2011 by Sybertooth Inc (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Three Cheers for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Cheers for Me

Mark
Jun 11, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undeservedly obscure, this book kicks off the series of novels that follow Bartholomew Bandy and his military exploits from WWI through WWII. The stolid and cheerful Bandy, son of a rural Canadian pastor, finds himself shipped off to Europe to serve in the infantry, armed with much advice about protecting his feet and strict parental commands to abstain from alcohol, tobacco and sex. He promises to do so. He tries to keep his promises, but he fails through a series of accidents or through the ge ...more
Carolyn
Jun 02, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a fun little romp.

Jack delivers some great anecdotes filled with dead pan humour. This collection chronicles the adventures of Bart Bandy, the son of a philandering preacher, stationed in Britain during WWI. Many of the situations Bandy finds himself are literally laugh out loud funny. The only major drawback though,this really is just a sequential array of stories that lack any cohesive narrative between. None the less, a nicely written read filled with lots of good woody words to chew
Lynn Dove
Quirky, laugh out loud exploits of one of the most endearing, bumbling characters I have ever come across in a book. He is Mr. Bean, all three of the "Stooges" and Red Skelton rolled into one! He is also Canadian! Great Read!
Sid Nuncius
Feb 21, 2017 Sid Nuncius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Three Cheers For Me a good deal more than I expected to. I tried it because P.G. Wodehouse thought highly of it, but I didn't really know whether I would like it. In fact (after a rather tedious opening chapter or two), I found it readable, funny in places and genuinely touching in others. It had elements of Wodehouse himself, Jerome K. Jerome, Siegfried Sassoon and Cecil Lewis; to my surprise, as well as the humour it gave a powerful, exciting and sometimes moving picture of fighting ...more
Elissa
Feb 04, 2017 Elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set during World War I, our hero's ironic self-deprecation makes him a perfect candidate for today's hipster's self-conscious minimalism. The book is well-written and provides interesting insights into early 20th century rural Canada as well as trench and aerial warfare but I had a great deal of trouble liking the egocentric Mr. Bandy. In fact, until at least halfway through the book I was convinced I wouldn't finish it and had put it aside and notified the publisher I wasn't enjoying myself. Bu ...more
Elissa
Feb 04, 2017 Elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ron Collins
Feb 18, 2017 Ron Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept me smiling and moving on to #2.
Leyla Johnson
Feb 11, 2017 Leyla Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very poignant, I did enjoy it but it made me sad. Written about a boy, off on the big adventure 0f WWI and making light of it - but there is a thread of sadness under it all
Vanessa
Feb 16, 2017 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine Bertie Wooster in the trenches of WWI - except with no Jeeves to save the day - and a deep vein of sadness hiding just below the humor. A classic that deserves a resurgence.
Vlad
Jun 03, 2016 Vlad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grossly underrated and truly undeservingly obscure, I only found it by browsing Amazon for something else entirely, which makes me positively happy I stumbled upon this gem. Such a delightful experience this was, following along the misadventures of the main character. Bartholomew Bandy is the type of character I love; unintentionally funny, getting into situations he has no business being in, and most of the time he is but a passenger on the roller coaster in the middle of a tornado of events t ...more
Mike Jones
Sep 21, 2016 Mike Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a pretty amusing book, which had me smiling most of the time I was reading it, and occasionally laughing out loud.
The bits about his flying exploits I found particularly good and there was much here that I just didn't know anything about, so it was interesting to read.
Most of the characters were painted amusingly - the descriptions of the English aristocrats who appeared were very good.
The ending was rather abrupt, but then the story continues in the next volume....
Kim
Jan 11, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care to much for this book. It made me laugh out loud in some places but I found it to still be a bit boring.The main character reminded me of the comic strip character Beatle Baily. It was an ok book, but i won't be reading the rest of the series.
Gabriele Wills
Dec 02, 2009 Gabriele Wills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww1
A clever and hilarious look at World War 1 that is, at the same time, filled with facts. Bartholomew Bandy is an unlikely but delightful and unforgettable "hero". Not as side-splitting as the second book in the series, it is still laugh-out-loud funny.
Lindsay
Dec 31, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2014
This was a pleasant surprise. It was a little slow to get going but there were some moments in this novel that were sooo funny I cried so they made up for the slow beginning.

Also nice to have stuff happenning in and around Canada.
John
I read this way back in the seventies and has been on my read twice list for a while. Maybe enjoyed it more now than the first time. As others have said it really is too bad this authors works have been rather obscure, too bad more haven't enjoyed his works...
Jane
Jun 11, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Canadian writer with little visibility in the States - and this one is hilarious.
On to book two!
Cheryl Cowtan
Jun 08, 2013 Cheryl Cowtan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again
I read this book when I was a rebellious teenager who was too cool for school. BUT I wasn't too cool for this book. It was hilarious! A definite re-read for the future.
Alix
Apr 30, 2012 Alix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this author before. I'm definitely going to read the rest of the series ASAP.
Barry
Corny. Not unlike a P.G. Wodehouse novel.

Yarn: *
Character development: *
Language: **
Bonus (WWII): **
Serena
Sep 15, 2012 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have given it 3 stars, had it not been a Canadian book. Being Canadian automatically gets you an extra star. Good book. Will probably read the rest of the Bandy Papers books.
B Sausser
Mar 11, 2014 B Sausser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read and thoroughly enjoyed this book several times over the past forty years. It's like a visit with an old friend.
Don
Don rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
joe Warshawski
joe Warshawski rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2007
Buck Swindle
Buck Swindle rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2009
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Jefferson Ballard
Jefferson Ballard rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Deefraser
Deefraser rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New edition - Three Cheers For Me 2 12 Jan 25, 2014 04:23PM
  • Shock Troops: Canadians Fighting the Great War 1917-1918 Volume 2
  • As Ever, Booky (Booky, #3)
  • Marching as to War: Canada's Turbulent Years
  • Domingo's Angel
  • The Great Escape: A Canadian Story
  • The Miracle Game
  • Short Straw Bride
  • The General Danced at Dawn
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • The Joyous Season
  • The Horns of the Buffalo (Simon Fonthill, #1)
  • On Leaving Charleston
  • It Came from Below the Belt
  • More Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • War Story
  • Charley's War, Volume 2: 1 August - 17 October 1916
  • Teaching: It's Harder Than It Looks
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
Novelist, playwright, and scriptwriter. Best known for his "Bandy Papers" novels about WWI ace Bartholomew Bandy, which won Jack the Leacock award three times for volumes of the series. Also penned the first modern play performed at the Stratford Festival of Canada, and wrote numerous scripts for television and radio.
More about Donald Jack...

The Bandy Papers (9 books)
  • That's Me in the Middle (The Bandy Papers, #2)
  • It's Me Again (The Bandy Papers, #3)
  • Me Bandy, You Cissie (The Bandy Papers, #4)
  • Me Too (The Bandy Papers, #5)
  • This One's on Me (The Bandy Papers, #6)
  • Me So Far (The Bandy Papers, #7)
  • Hitler vs. Me (The Bandy Papers, #8)
  • Stalin vs. Me (The Bandy Papers, #9)