Start by marking “Playing For Keeps” as Want to Read:
Playing For Keeps

Playing For Keeps ('Fantasy' Football #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  666 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Journalist Samantha Jameson always wanted to be one of the boys, but Ryan Terell won’t let her join the club. Fresh from the battlegrounds of Iraq, reporting on a bunch of overgrown boys playing pro football is just the change of scenery she needs. If trying to be taken seriously in the world of sports writing wasn’t hard enough, Ryan, her college crush, is only making it ...more
Published November 4th 2011 by Little Hondo Press (first published November 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Playing For Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing For Keeps

It was okay, but basic at best. Had the author injected more emotion into the characters, it would have been easier to connect with them. We got very little back story on Samantha and even less on Ryan. Considering the ordeal the Samantha endured as a journalist in Iraq, I would have thought the author would have used that to add some more feeling to Samantha’s character. Ryan…well his childhood was hinted at, and that was it, then nothing, it would have been such an emotional draw! The plot was ...more
I loved this story – I’m was a cheerleader when I was 8 – my brother played football and my dad was the coach for a few years.
We watched it on TV every Sunday and Monday, And then I married a man who hates football *is that possible??*

Reading this story brought back a lot of fun memories from when I was a child. I love the games and the action. Although this story didn’t have a lot
To do with football, being familiar with the “Hot” players out on the field, I could visualize just how big and row
When I read this book I felt that anyone could have lived it. Yes it's not very common to know and grow up with a famous model friend or a famous football player but it has happened to people who are not me. The book is short but complete. It's nice because it's not a series and the story can be completed. There is really no wondering what will happen next. Which is a nice break from all the other series I read that have over ten books in a series.

In this book You meet Samantha and Ryan who have
Mandi Schreiner
Samantha Jameson has had a crush on Ryan Terell for a long time. Through college, she kept the football star in her sights, but nothing ever came of her attraction to him. Samantha starts her post-college life as a hard-core journalist, traveling to the middle east to cover the war. After a brutal time, where she is kidnapped for three days she is now back in the states, and has decided to take an easier reporting job, now covering the pro-football team, the cougars, where Ryan plays as a tight- ...more
Out of 5 star:
Hero: Ryan,4.5
Heroine: Samantha, 3
Secondary Characters: 3
Likely hood of reading the rest of the series: 3

I really liked this book until the last 15-20%. Then I just liked it.

First let me say I loved, no I mean LOVED Ryan. He was so sweet I just wanted to hug him and kiss him and call him mine! I though that Liz Matis did a good job at creating a believable all around good man. Who had been a different man 10 years ago when Samantha had conti
Jessica Uzzo
This book was a pretty quick enjoyable read but the author pulled a lot of punches that could have made this a really stellar book. Both MCs have something traumatizing in their past. The hero's is honestly really glazed over and the heroine's accounting of her trauma is pretty emotionless and shallow. This could have been a beautiful story of two people healing each other's past and starting a future but the author refused to take it to a dark place for whatever reason so we're left with a tepi ...more
WOW, talk about sizzle! Samantha and Ryan rock. If you're looking for some romance and can devote about 2 hours to an enjoyable read, this one is for you. I found myself begging Samantha to hook up with Ryan much sooner than she did. I also wanted her to trust him with her dreams and nightmares so their souls could touch. Enjoyable quick read for fans of romance with some heated sex.
Shelly Blackmore
"Playing for Keeps" is a romance novel - pure and simple. It's light, for the most part, with lots of steamy love scenes, playful banter and the typical "come here, come here, no get away, get away" that are required in a good romance. A fun, quick read with an excellent set up for the next installment coming out in April. Looking forward to it!
Very good story about sports journalist, Samanatha, and a old family friend and sports star, Ryan. We learn early on that Samantha just returned from coming Iraq and she is carrying ghosts. Ryan wishes Samanatha would trust him enough to tel him what happened in Iraq.

It is a fast read and a great way to spend a raining day.
Karen Cino
I absolutely enjoyed this book. If you are a football fan, then this is the series for you. When you finish reading this book, you'll be looking up your old high school/college crush.
Just ok, although LM always gives a few laughable lines - "Are you okay?”……
He kept his hands on her waist “Are you sure? Because I trained as a doctor between the ages of 4 and 5. “
Amanda Chalifoux
Sounds like a great book. Makes me want to read more. You sound like a great author. I wish I could write romance books or any kind of books.
I thought it was cute! Maybe just a little to short. I would have liked to hear more from the brother Patrick...maybe a comming soon? ;)
I really liked this short fun read, I only wish it was longer. I'm looking forward to Jake and Hannah's story in Going For It.

Awesome read. I love to read hot romance that includes a Bad, Sexy Football player. Looking forward to the next book.
I really enjoyed reading Playing For Keeps and I can't wait to read Going For It next month!
As always, Liz Matis does not disappoint. Loved this story and the whole series.
Danielle Calabrese
I'm a sucker for sports romance novels and this one didn't disappoint!
Jessica Smith
loved this book just a feel good story to keep you company!
I liked this book just fine, but it didn't make me feel much when I was reading it. Good or bad. I've seen the whole female sports-reporter gets involved with male athlete she's covering been done better and with hotter chemistry(i.e. See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson - loved it!) .
I felt like the author tried to make it a bit heavier by adding in the Iraqi war aspect in Samantha's past, but I still felt like this was just another fluffy romance novel. Which means it served it's purpose of offeri
Lady Lioness
I didn't have a very good reading weekend. *sigh*

This one wasn't as bad as the other two, but nor was it particularly good. It actually would have been better if it'd been about fifty pages longer. There wasn't a lot of character development, so, to me, it veered frequently into erotica territory. I would have liked to known a little more about what the heroine suffered in Afghanistan and to have seen the hero interact with her family after their relationship was known. I did like the look insid
Since yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday I decided a football romance was in order :)

I had high hopes for this book...both Ryan and Samantha had had feelings for each other for years, Samantha is struggling with PTSD, a need to keep their relationship secret, etc. However, I didn' think the author delved deeply enough in all the issues and the obstacles were resolved too quickly.

The secondary romance between Jake and Hannah was interesting and definitely helps lead into their book, but I think they
Got this book by mistake.
And oh wow. That's 3 hrs I'm never getting back! Boring, predictable and flat. Ugh!
Cute story. I would have liked to have seen a little more development and a little less side story going on.
Samantha Jameson is a journalist covering the local pro football team. Even though the star tight-end for the team is her brother's best friend that she's had a crush on since she was young, she is a professional and he is strictly off limits.
Ryan Terell is a playmaker on the field and a ladies man off the field. He's always liked Samantha and although both her brother and father want him to watch out for her, it is strictly a hands off situation. At least it's supposed to be.

Entertaining fast r
Robyn Mantas
First book that I haven't plodded through, just to say I read it. It was taking me way too long......
Angela Spitzer
This book was a fast and cute read. I think that having two stories with two different couples going on at the same time took away from the main characters Ryan and Samantha. I do enjoy the sports books -- especially the football ones but this one was just alright for me.
  • Forward Passes (Seattle Lumberjacks, #2)
  • Goals For A Sinner (Sinners, #1)
  • CaddyGirls
  • The Game of Love
  • Breakaway (Heller Brothers, #1)
  • Body Check
  • Cross-Checked (Hot Ice, #2)
  • Icebreaker (New York Blades, #8)
  • Hard and Fast
  • Thin Ice
  • Wicked Game
  • Home Ice
  • Game for Seduction (Bad Boys of Football, #2)
  • Time Out
  • Taming Mad Max
  • Playing the Game
  • Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)
Liz Matis - Top 30 Bestselling Amazon Author, #12 Nationally Bestselling Author on Nook. She is a mild mannered accountant by day and romance writer by night. I love happy ever afters!
More about Liz Matis...

'Fantasy' Football (4 books)
  • Going For It ('Fantasy' Football #2)
  • Huddle Up ('Fantasy' Football #3)
  • The Quarterback Sneak ('Fantasy' Football, #4)