Double Exposure

Double Exposure

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Encountering the kind of wildlife that made him want to be a photographer in the first place, Remington James gets some of the best shots of his life, but he's about to happen upon the most dangerous animal of all - a feral, patient, sociopath who wants Remington dead.
Published June 2011 by Adams Media Corporation (first published September 1st 2009)

Jon
I'm not sure now where I heard about this book--I thought it was from this site, but not that I can now discover. It certainly is a page-turner with a heartfelt and profound message growing out of the story and summarized memorably at the end. It begs to be read at one sitting, so don't pick it up unless you've got a couple or three hours. The entire plot is set in the woods and sloughs of northern Florida, where the protagonist has gone to check on an automatic camera he has set up to photograp...more
Jen
Remington James is a successful but unhappy advertising executive when his father dies. He returns to his hometown to run his father's store and care for his mother who is dying of MS. While he is home, he decides to pick up the hobby, the passion, he gave up years ago, wildlife photography. He has set trap cameras in the woods of the Apalachicola River Basin in hopes of maybe catching the elusive Florida panther. As he is out taking pictures and checking his traps one evening, he discovers that...more
Heather
2 1/2 stars. The plot was good but I didn't care for the style of writing. I got distracted so often that I never felt the build up of suspense. Decent story but not my taste.
TeriC
I don't really care for the author's style of writing but it was an exciting story with a message.
Sarah Whitten
I liked the story premise, but hated the writing style.
rebellyell666
Inhalt:

Als Cole James stirbt, erbt sein Sohn Remington das Stück Land, was seit Generationen in der Hand der James ist – ein Stück Florida. Früher streifte er an jedem Samstagmorgen mit seinem Dad durch die Wälder – Cole wollte Wild schießen, Remington Bilder. Momente festhalten und eben diese besonderen Augenblicke nicht mehr gehen lassen. Als Remington in den Wald seiner Jugend zurückkehrt, baut er Kameras an verschiedenen Stellen auf, die automatisch Bilder aufnehmen, wenn das Infrarot reagie...more
Patricia
Double Exposure – 4 Stars
Michael Lister
Tyrus Books, 2009, 240 Pages
ISBN No. 978-0-9825209-2-5

When Cole James passes away his son Remington returns to the North Florida town where he grew up to take over his father’s business and take care of his dying mother. Living in his hometown has renewed Remington’s love of wildlife photography. Remington’s father taught his son to hunt with a gun and his mother taught him to hunt with a camera.

Remington goes to the river swamp to check some of his camera...more
Richard   Alan
Double Exposure started out slow for me. It seemed very poetic and I was not sure I would like it. However, once Remington, the main character, finds he has pictures of a murder, it becomes very exciting. The rest of the novella (112 pages) is comprised of the murderer and his colleagues trying to track Remington through a swamp/forest area in southern Florida. While he is trying to escape his pursuers, Remington reflects on his life, his new-found career as a photographer, his estranged wife, h...more
Barbara Sullivan
A Powerful Story of Survival
Beautiful.
Brilliant.
Intense.
Magical.
Nature's wonder wrapped around a cold evil.

This story unfolds like the wings of a newborn butterfly and closes in the raging love of a mother bear seeking to save her cub. After setting camera traps in the midst of the Apalachicola River Basin, Remington returns to collect the memory cards from them and discovers he has captured evidence of a terrible crime.

Michael Lister uses language expertly, only pausing from the relentless pur...more
Jodi
This book is very sparsely written, yet I didn't feel as though I was missing anything. Lister uses language very carefully. The story moves quickly, and it is difficult to put the book down. Remington, the main character, is taking wildlife photos at night in the swamps/woods of northwest Florida. When he retrieves the memory card from his camera trap, he has photos of a murder taking place. The majority of the book involves the killer and associates hunting Remington through the swamp/woods th...more
Holly
This book hit my "fight or flight" button on several different occasions, and I didn’t want to put it down. I wanted to keep reading! There are many twists and turns that made the book delightfully unpredictable. Lister allows his readers to catch their breath between action scenes and uses this time to drive home the life lessons – the larger take-aways. Right when you've caught your breath, you're plunged back into the action and the tension winds back up again. His staccato stylistic approach...more
Cheryl Meyers
This is one of the most "sit on the edge of your seat and stay up all night" to read book. I absolutely could not put this book down. The plot made me think a little of DELIVERANCE in that main character was stranded in the woods with the bad guys coming after him. Chose for my KINDLE as it was set in Northwest Florida in the backwoods. The author is a professor at Gulf Coast Community College and he really knows the area. If you are an environmentalist (tree hugger) and love "Old Florida," you...more
Pamela
I had the opportunity to meet the author at our Friends of the Library meeting, as his aunt if from my hometown. The imagery of this book is what makes it very different; it is written a lot like prose. You "feel" the story as it is experienced by the protagonist. The setting is in the backwoods of the panhandle...the "real Florida" that is nearly the same as it has always been before settlement...pristine and alive. Lots of mystery and complicated relationships...enjoy the shadowy side of South...more
Diane
Probably the fastest book I ever read written in a style that is clipped but works perfectly for this story. It is a fast-paced story about a wildlife photographer who sets out cameras to catch life in the woods on film. What he did not expect and what will be his undoing is one of his camera traps catches a murder in action. From there it is an edge-f-your seat thriller. Not sure I liked the ending but getting to that point was a heck of a rush.
Carolyn Rose
The plot - a hunted man trying to survive the night - is a nail-biter but, even though that's probably how my mind would work in the same situation, some the mental ramblings dampened the suspense and pulled me out of the story. Still, the setting details are terrific and I raced through to the end, staying up far too late to finish.
Anais
We all know how much I love the Gulf Coast. Now that I'm married to a boy from the back woods, the Florida where no one vacations has grown on me too. This isn't a meander through those forests and wetlands. I enjoyed the ride thoroughly.

The fact that this signed copy was printed locally made it even better.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
DNF this one. It was ok at the beginning but then it got dull. The one worded sentences got-to-be-very annoying. My kindle was reading it to me in Zombie mode. I would have liked it more if the guys that were chasing Remington would have been more developed character-wise.
gloria g
This edgy, fast passed, thriller by Michael Lister is a white knuckle page turner. You won't be able to put down. Michael brings the North Florida River Swamp to life like only someone with a love for "God's Country" can.
Dawn Peterson
Jin
First time reading a book by this author. I found the references to historical photography very interesting. I found the overall theme of the story to be very touching and would recommend it to my friends.
Petra
Spannender Psychothriller. Die Sprache war erst gewöhnungsbedürftig, passt dann aber sehr gut zu Inhalt und Tempo. Ingesamt war das Buch anspruchsvoller und vielschichtiger, als ich erwartet hatte.
Francis
Short story a little over a hundred pages. I struggled at first with the heavy prose and light weight story line but I got through it and later admitted to myself that ...it wasn't all that bad.
Ro Wilson
Don't pick up this book unless you can spend the next few hours reading it; putting it down for later is not an option.

It is a marvelous work by an amazing author.
Laurette
A very gripping and exciting book that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole thing. Written very beautifully too. I definitely enjoyed this one!
Rod  Norman
This was my favorite book of 2009. The story is terrific & the language is like poetry. A beautiful suspense novel. I highly recomend it !
Ed
Too much introspective meandering down memory lane and not enough action, in my view.
Nat
gut, spannend, rau, minimalistisch, bildstark, eindringlich, mitreissend - anders!
Poorman
Good read, slow to start but then a page turner. A lot of action and a little violence.
Bill S.
Crackerjack little story, A real page turner.
Ken
Too much flowery descriptions, poetry
  • The Deputy
  • Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)
  • Getting Sassy
  • The Lethal Effect
  • Commune Of Women
  • Neon Dragon
  • Shadow of Death
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • The Noon God
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins Mysteries, #1)
  • Hidden Steel
  • Blood Island: A Matt Royal Mystery
  • The Funniest Cop Stories Ever
The Big Goodbye Blood Sacrifice Blood of the Lamb Power in the Blood Thunder Beach