Protagoras/Meno

Protagoras/Meno

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Exploring the question of what exactly makes good people good, Protagoras and Meno are two of the most enjoyable and accessible of all of Plato's dialogues. Widely regarded as his finest dramatic work, the Protagoras, set during the golden age of Pericles, pits a youthful Socrates against the revered sophist Protagoras, whose brilliance and humanity make him one the most i...more
Published (first published -390)

To ask other readers questions about Protagoras/Meno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protagoras/Meno

Tony
PROTAGORAS and MENO. (432 BCE and 402 BCE). Plato. ****.
If you’ve not read any of Plato’s dialogues (plays) before, these two would be a good place to start. I say this because they are relatively more accessible than most of the others. In the PROTAGORAS, Socrates meets up with Hippocrates and begins the dialog in response to Hippocrates’ desire to hook up with Protagoras. At the time, Protagoras was known to be among the leading Sophists of the day. Hippocrates wanted to approach him and have...more
Cassandra Kay Silva
Socrates's approach to Protagoras was much more round about than he dealings with Meno. I preferred Protagoras, but felt that there was much to get out of both of these dialogs. This is a wonderful set of dialogs that explore the essence of virtue. They also expose the Sophists of the time to a bit of ridicule and ponderings. Having never met or talked to a sophist appears not to be an issue here. I liked the topic of conversation but am absolutely not resolved to the conclusions drawn on these...more
Daniel Wright
Plato is both an extremely daunting figure in philosophy and a surprisingly accessible (at least, in a good translation such as mine). In fact, I would venture to suggest that in no other Western thinker is the discrepancy greater (though I'd love to hear counter-examples).

Protagoras is a notable dialogue primarily in that it is one of Plato's only dialogues in which Socrates does not simply walk all over his interlocutors. Plato's Socrates is well-known for his dislike of the sophists (of whom...more
Jeremiah Tillman
I consider both the Protagoras and the Meno an invitation back to Plato's dialogues after old father Parmenides sent me running for the hills at part two of the late eponymous dialogue. There's less technical philosophy in these two dialogues, but very important Platonic ideas such as innate knowledge or "remembering" (a priori knowledge, anyone?),one that turns up later in the Phaedrus and I think the Phaedo. Because these two dialogues feel more like a just dramas to me at times (e.g. Anytus t...more
David S. T.
The penguin edition was the first edition of Meno I've read, the other is the Hackett edition. Between the two the Penguin does seem easier to understand and has better sentence structure, but I don't know which is more accurate. One of the big differences between the two is the Penguine edition uses "Good" where as the Hackett uses "Virtue". This edition also contains way better footnotes.

Protagoras was my first introduction to Plato, but sadly I read it a while ago and I don't really remember...more
blake
A couple of the more enjoyable dialogues because they are much more accessible and they concern a more practical topic: virtue. That said, I find it hard to rate it high when I disagree with a large part of Socrates' argumentation and conclusions. I have no certainty that virtue is the same as knowledge, as he states in both of them, and then dismisses later in the Meno. I do think it's possible to have knowledge and still act unvirtuously, unlike Socrates. And I do think that sometimes emotions...more
This book was interesting. I had to read "Protagoras." It was very back-and-forth at times. It left me with some questions that weren't addressed at the end. Did Hippocrates decide to go to Protagoras who claimed to be one of the wisest people? I don't know if I'll ever know.
Richard Newton
The Meno and Protagoras are two of Plato's better known works and a standard component of many undergraduate courses which touch on philosophy. These are relaxed modern translations - they are easy to read and the philosophical concepts are generally easy to identify from them. The supporting essay is a bit light, but if you want analysis there are plenty of other versions. I did occasionally feel that the translation was a bit too colloquial - I'm not suggesting Plato can only be approach by fo...more
Don
This review is for the Cornell edition:

Five stars for the Protagoras translation alone. I haven't read the essays or Meno translation yet. Bartlett's translation is clear and heavily footnoted, which is nice. Cornell's Plato editions are great: affordable, accurate translations with useful notes and commentary.

More notes on the edition: the Meno translation is good as well. Great actually. I like the Hackett edition of the Meno too, but this translation is better and has helpful footnotes.

The es...more
Frightful_elk
This book explains Plato's position on the nature of virtue.

The two books provide an interesting contrast of Plato's evolving theory in this area, the first book perhaps representing more truly Socrates theory and character, while Meno shows Plato's later elaboration and sanctification of Socrates.

Protagoras is remarkable refreshing and easy to read, it's set up within a very honest and human dynamic, making the philosophy engaging and easy to follow.

Short and sweet, nice taster course for Plat...more
David Evers
Just re-read Protagoras after a hiatus of 20 years, feeling inspired after having completed the Odyssey. I was hoping for a little more humor given the opportunity: Progagoras as a sophist is paid for imparting knowledge of virtue, and Socrates should have no problem exposing him as a charlatan. Unfortunately, Socrates enlists his "help" in exploring what virtue is. While interesting from a philosophical point of view, Socrates was less insulting and sarcastic than in other dialogues.
Elena
I skipped a bit. Not one of my favourites although very interesting. I learned how Epimeteus was commanded by the gods to distribute specific qualities to the different species of animals, and how he ran out of qualities once he got to humans beings. That's how Prometeus came into play, stealing fire from the gods, so that humans could be similar to them, and share with them the gift of virtue. But what is virtue? If you want to know, read the Protagoras....
Jesse
Protagoras is the father of the postmodernist mantra, "Man is the measure of all things." The dialogue itself is a rhetorically stunning examination of rhetoric, so, in our relativistic age, it is a key text. Meno depicts Socrates drawing geometric lines in the sand to a slave in order to prove that there are innate ideas. The theory is bunk, but the process is pedagogically valid, and it might just get you enthusiastic enough for Euclid.
Claire
Apr 29, 2007 Claire rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in classical logic.
I was guided through both the Protagoras and the Meno by a list of involved questions. If I didn't have that, I would have considered consulting an expert on Plato to get the most out of what these two texts have to offer.
Adrian Stevenson
Probably the first philosophy book that I ever read, given to me by my dad. This was the one that started me off.
May 29, 2009 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Protagoras and Meno by Plato (2006)
Terry
Terry added it
Sep 13, 2014
Nikki Somar
Nikki Somar marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Aliza
Aliza added it
Sep 06, 2014
Edward Smith
Edward Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Carter Bland
Carter Bland marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Yash Shah
Yash Shah is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • A Nietzsche Reader
  • The Nature of the Gods
  • Mortal Questions
  • Meditations and Other Metaphysical Writings
  • Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals/On a Supposed Right to Lie Because of Philanthropic Concerns
  • The Comedies
  • Three Plays: The Wasps / The Poet and the Women / The Frogs
  • Classics of Western Philosophy
  • Selected Writings
  • On Sparta
  • The Essential Kierkegaard
  • Two Treatises of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration
  • Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most important Western philosophers,...more
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo