Start by marking “Fortune's Son” as Want to Read:
Fortune's Son

Fortune's Son (Georgian Gamesters #2)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Love is the ultimate gamble...

Seasoned gambler Philip Drake knows every trick and uses most of them. After years of infamy, he's ready to accept the mantle of respectability with his earldom-until a devastating racing loss and the threat of debtors' prison force Philip right back into his gaming ways...

Susannah, Lady Messingham, is a woman with a past who refuses to belon
Published November 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Son

TJ
Wow! Emery Lee slammed this one - aced it, won it, wrapped it up and gifted it!!

As an editor over the historical dept. of a women's literary magazine (Affaire de Coeur ) I read an average 8-12 HRs every month. Seldom do I see one so rich, intelligent and intensely absorbing as "Fortune's Son". Ms. Lee has crafted a story that is so beautiful and so emotionally powerful, it is sometimes hard to read. It is romance that rises far above the average, with history that is so well researched and writt
Jill

"I refuse to be placed under any man's dominion again. Who, now, must I truly please but myself?"

For Susannah, Lady Messingham her unfulfilling and unhappy ten year marriage to a much older man, is finally over, wanting now to be able to choose the life she wants to live. However, there is a small problem. Not only has she been left virtually penniless, but with a household to maintain, her debts are accruing. How can a lady in 18th century England acquire the necessary funds without ty
Emery Lee
Dec 27, 2011 Emery Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of historical fiction and historical romance
TOP PICK by THE ROMANCE REVIEWS:
TOP PICK by NIGHT OWL REVIEWS:

AUTHOR'S COMMENTARY:
Passion, drama and excitement fill the pages of my follow-up to THE HIGHEST STAKES. Set deep in the world of 18th century gaming, FORTUNE'S SON immerses the reader in a time and place where nothing is sacred and virtually anything might be wagered on the turn of a card, or a roll of the dice.

Beginning with their first chance meeting o
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Emery Lee is one of the few authors who can write historical fiction and make it come to life, sweeping us away to another time and place! Through her authentic period dialog and beautiful, vivid descriptions of Georgian era clothing, customs, and the day to day life of both those who have and those who have not, Ms. Lee pulls us into the story and makes us believe we’re right there, living it all, and not just reading about it.

Fortune’s Son, the sequel to The Highest Stakes, had my emotions
Rane

Emery Lee has a way with making history come alive, while adding a strong element of romance that span years through heartbreak trials and errors and in the end forgiveness and love stronger then ever.

Luck never made a man wise. ~Seneca, Letters to Lucilius

Philip Drake a titled peer, but now impoverished, gambles with chance and dances with lady luck at the tables at night to win his fortune and free him from his father's grasp. His life changes when he meets Lady Susannah Messingham, Susan
Misfit
Oct 25, 2011 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fortune's Son is a follow-up to Lee's first novel, The Highest Stakes. The prologue begins with the ramifications to Philip Drake after his high stakes wager with you-know-who at the end of the first book, and then back tracks to Philip at age twenty, a wastrel second son of the Earl of Hastings. His luck with the dice fail him one night and facing exposure for...umm...improving his odds he's saved in the nick of time by Susannah, Lady Messingham. Susannah (Sukey) is recently widowed and short o ...more
Maggi Andersen
Sep 03, 2011 Maggi Andersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philip Drake, an impoverished but titled gentleman, is forced to liquidate his assets and go back to his past gaming habits in an effort to right himself. Lady Susannah Messingham is a woman with a past and nearly ten years Philip's senior. After watching him at the tables, she propositions him to teach her to win at gaming. This fascinating and original look at an uncharted aspect of English life explores a gentleman snared by gambling, the threat of debtor's prison, and the wayward lady who re ...more
Beanbag Love
Jan 31, 2012 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emery Lee is a very good writer and, while this is most definitely a romance, it's not your typical historical romance. Don't look for Kleypas or McNaught or even Beverley in this story. IMO, Lee's writing is a cross between Georgette Heyer and Diana Gabaldon. At once unique and recognizable, and a nice change of pace from the typical.

I did have some issues with the actual story, although I never wanted to stop reading it. I always wanted to get back to it when life got in the way of my reading.
Linda Banche
Nov 17, 2011 Linda Banche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emery Lee's Georgian romance, FORTUNE'S SON, is a fascinating, fast-paced tale of power used and abused, opulence and desperation set in the London world of high-stakes gaming.

Life among the rich, powerful and famous in Georgian London is not as wonderful as you might think. Ask young Philip, estranged second son of an earl, who lives hand-to-mouth by gaming. And ask Susannah, knight's widow, left a small jointure and quickly running out of money. When these two impulsive people, both determined
Angelc
Dec 01, 2011 Angelc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-own-read
This story was a nice change of pace from the typical historical romance. It definitely didn't follow the same formula as most romances. For that reason, it was a refreshing read.

On the same note, I was a little frustrated that so much of the story revolved around the gambling instead of the romance. This was especially true at the beginning. I found myself a little bored of all the explanations of how to win at cards and other games. But once the romance finally kicked off, I was definitely dra
Marmar
Oct 01, 2011 Marmar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the immense pleasure of receiving an advance, unedited copy of this book. This is truly a wonderful story. It has everything, upper class wealth vs. lower class, romance, debauchery, gambling, duels and revenge........ throughout the story, the love between Phillip and Susannah (Sukey) is evident to everyone but, themselves. They are utterly besotted with one another. Though torn apart time and again, they always find their way back to one another.

Very well written book. The characters se
Seriously Reviewed
ROCK ON!!!! WOW. Okay, so I am having a bit of trouble finding the right words to tell you how much I enjoyed this one :)

Amazing story and charaters all tied up in a breathtaking story that knocked my socks off. Fast paced and entertaining, this story will be with me for a long time to come :) Stand back ladies....I think I just found a new must read author :)
Jenny
Jan 26, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok.....this book was good. It was well written. But for my personal preference there was no steam in it. They sincerly loved each other, but she just brushed off the romance part I think. And then it is 75% thru the book and it skips 12 years!! WHAT??
Overall a good book, but not steamy enough for me.
Christy English
Jun 03, 2011 Christy English rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emery Lee tells an engaging story of the rogueish Philip Drake and his beloved, Susannah. Set in Georgian spelendor, FORTUNE'S SON is a novel of love and lust, wealth and penury, a tale of true love lost, and of true loved redeemed. A wonderful trip into the lost world of Georgian England.
Jerelyn
I think it is important to first point this out Romantic Historical Fiction, is not a mistake, it is a deliberate choice to categorize a sub-genre of historical fiction. Historical Romance is much too broad a brush. Emery Lee is an author who writes historical fiction with an emphasis on romance. While her stories are relationship driven don’t be fooled by the covers, there is serious research and substantial scholarship behind her writing. Lee’s talent is how she takes you into the decadent, lu ...more
Patty
Oct 25, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip Drake is a man who lives by the skin of his teeth. A handsome devil he is a second son of an earl who cares not a whit for his family, the title or his father's money. Not if it means kowtowing to a man he despises. Young, brash and quick witted he makes his way in the world as a gamester. While out at the tables one night he meets the oh so beautiful Lady Messingham, a widow with many a secret she cares not to share. She sees a potential partner in young Drake; not a lover but rather a m ...more
Allison
Fortune's Son ended up being quite different from the first novel, Highest Stakes. It had really been too long since I'd read the first book, and at first I thought it didn't matter. But the last third of the book takes place after the events of the previous one - and there are no recaps or reminders of what happened then, so I was really struggling to make all the connections. It didn't give the alternate point of view, which is what you'd normally expect, but just skipped over that time period ...more
Deborah
If more historical fiction were written like this, I'd be reading more of it!

Intelligent, elegant, and intimate in characterization, Emery Lee has delivered yet another exhilarating book in her historical fiction series, making a name for herself in the ranks of those who write the best historical novels in the business. Gambling, horse racing, poverty, prison and passion~ want more?

"Fortune’s Son" is rich in authentic Georgian detail that brings the settings and circumstances alive for a reader
Lucinda Brant
Feb 29, 2012 Lucinda Brant rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical fiction with a strong element of romance
This was my first book by Emery Lee and it won't be my last. Lee's style is reminiscent of the novelist Julia Ross, whose Georgian Historical Romances I treasure. FORTUNE'S SON is historical fiction at its best, with strong likeable characters in Philip and Susannah, and secondary characters that add depth and interest, more so because many actually lived. It is a skilled historical writer who can breathe life back into real people, and Lee does so effortlessly. The story is steeped in Georgian ...more
Suzan Tisdale
Nov 02, 2012 Suzan Tisdale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
I absolutely loved this story! Emery has a gentle yet commanding way of writing that makes me green with envy (but in a really good way!)
This story is filled with intrigue, excitement, pain, love, perseverance and refined grace. The story of Sukey and Phillip is face paced and brilliant and I do look forward to reading many, many more stories by Emery.

With grace and elegance that is sometimes lacking in historical fiction or romance, Emery brings that and so much more to this story. It isn't a
BookwormWithGoggles
Unfortunately, this didn't cut it with me. I didn't like either of the characters (H/h). The story spanned over 12years and we were cut from one period to the next with unexplained gaps in between of events that would have been central in the character's lives.
This didn't come across as a romance really. It was more a story of addiction I feel...gambling and the dark spiral that comes with losing control and being driven to desperation. Its hard to read about such personalities if you do not hav
Carol Ava
Feb 03, 2012 Carol Ava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just purchased Fortune's Son for my kindle....can't wait to start reading!!!!!!

This book was just too good to just breeze thru... You know the type ladies.

I absolutely fell in love with the characters! Good, better, best, bad worse evil... it's got it all. Including the involved gaming that takes place...how our Emery Lee did it, she surpassed any other author that I have read. You come away with almost being able to play the games!

...and what games there are *wink*.
All I can say is Bravo Emery
Christina
Jan 25, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2012
This book was so interesting. I have never gambled in my life, but this had me rivted to each page. Imagine having so few choices in your life that gambling for a living was your best option to maintain your freedom. Emery has created a fascinating book with characters who you want to overcome their dire circumstances and triumph. I won this book through GoodReads. Thank you for sending me a copy.
Kate
Apr 02, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was a little overwhelmed with the detailed description of the games of chance played by the characters. I later realized that this attention to detail was what made the novel so enjoyable. I thought it was fairly well crafted and, despite a little confusion over a few of the events and the need some rereading of certain parts, it was quite enjoyable.
Jasmyn
This is one the most detailed historical fictions I have ever read. That is a good thing and and a bad thing. It's good because the story is really brought to life and the world Emery Lee creates is vibrant and alive. It's a bad thing because, since I don't know tons about the Georgian period, there were things I just didn't quite understand. It seemed like everyone had three, if not more, names and at times it was hard to keep track of them all.

I really enjoyed watching Phillip maneuver his way
Adam Gutschenritter
Not normally my type of book, but I found myself attached to the characters. Well worth the read.
Laura Hartness
In the spring of 2010 I had the pleasure of reading The Highest Stakes, a delightful equestrian-themed novel by Emery Lee. I was also honored when she offered the very first guest post for my blog, The Calico Critic. When I heard she’d published another novel and was given the opportunity to review it, I jumped at the chance.

While my reading interest in recent years has heavily favored novels with romantic themes, I try to stay away from cheap, tawdry “bodice rippers”, as I term them. I do enjo
Melanie
Feb 03, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my wish list and TBR for a year now and the only reason for it was its cover. I mean, just look at it! I also liked the blurb for it, although once I read the book, I was amazed how inadequate it was. Another thing I found out as I finished the book was that ‘Fortune’s Son’ is a sequel to ‘The Highest Stakes’ and finally things in the middle of the story made more sense. Needless to say, I am now compelled to read the first book and highly recommend you read it in order bec ...more
Michele Stegman
Aug 04, 2011 Michele Stegman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FORTUNE’S SON is a great title for a book. At least I thought so when I used that title for my own book. Now there is another FORTUNE’S SON out there by another author, Emery Lee.
Even a casual reader can usually tell whether or not a work of historical fiction is well researched. With FORTUNE’S SON by Emery Lee, there is no doubt. It is obvious that she has fully immersed herself in the Georgian period. Even her writing style reflects that period. She must eat, live, and breathe this period.
S
Victoria Vane
Aug 25, 2012 Victoria Vane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of historical fiction and historical romance

Q&A with Emery Lee: ROM CON Guest Blog 1 1 Nov 06, 2011 12:29PM
Q&A with Emery Lee: CHARACTER ARCS AND SECOND CHANCES 1 1 Nov 02, 2011 12:56PM
  • A Breach of Promise
  • Wicked Company
  • When the Duke Found Love (Wylder Sisters, #3)
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Star Crossed Seduction (Astrology, #2)
  • Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)
  • Season for Temptation (Holiday Pleasures, #1)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • Salt Bride (Salt Hendon, #1)
  • The Parfit Knight
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • Under the Same Sky (The MacDonnells, #1)
  • Forbidden Jewel of India (Herriard, #1)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
Whether historical fiction or historical romance, self-professed Georgian junkie Emery Lee loves nothing more than crafting emotionally compelling stories that bring the past vividly to life.

"Lee brings the atmosphere of the Georgian era to life with lush descriptions that beg the reader to see, hear, feel and touch it all....with a lively cast of characters and surprising twists and turns that a
More about Emery Lee...

Georgian Gamesters (2 books)
  • The Highest Stakes

“... never engage to play with a troubled mind or excited emotions. Lucidity of mind is crucial and once once's emotions become engaged in the play all is lost.....” 3 likes
“True vice, my lady, would frighten us all, if it did not wear the mask of virtue. (p.56)” 3 likes