Start by marking “Herself When She's Missing: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Herself When She's Missing: A Novel

Herself When She's Missing: A Novel

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Cry Wolf saved Andrea's life, or that's how she likes to tell it. Forever in search of spiritual fulfillment, Andrea has rejected everything from religion to eating disorders, in favor of "I'm-with-the-band" style fanaticism, all centered on Cry Wolf, a brother-sister folk/rock duo with an eccentric hodgepodge of followers. When Andrea meets fellow groupie Jordan outside a ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Soft Skull Press (first published May 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Herself When She's Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herself When She's Missing

Carol Anshaw
This is love as darkness, passion that hollows one out and leaves only a husk behind. If they make a movie of this, Leonard Cohen will sing the theme song. A compelling read for anyone who has ever fallen victim to this particular form of insanity. Which is to say, nearly everyone.
I am a friend of Sarah, but couldn't find the way to mark this as a friend review. Nonetheless, I want to be upfront about this.
My favorite line: "She likes me the way a thief likes a loose screen." Something like that. The writing itself is beautiful and lyrical. The characters really got to me. I connected so much with Andrea. I really haven't read anything like this book before. The way it functions in past and present, the stuff about fandom--lots of innovative stuff.
This is an incredible novel. I just had to post a review specifically to counter one reader's classification of this book as a "romance novel." While it is about a (very dysfunctional) relationship, it is NOT, I repeat NOT a romance novel. I mean, it's just not. The language and character development place this novel squarely in the literary fiction category and to say otherwise is to expose literary naivete.

I won't go into the plot of the book, but I will say this writer's language and characte
“Herself When She's Missing”, is sexy, smart and edgy. Sometimes I read a book and think "I could have written that," but not so with this book. Instead I thought, "I guess there is a lot more to writing than I thought." I was continually surprised by the clever use of language and the interesting characters. It is so real--everything about it is believable. The use of lists, Venn diagrams, pictures, and facebook posts is simply brilliant and creates an immersive, true-to-contemporary-life exper ...more
Matthew Riedl
I have never read a romance novel before in my life, but after reading many positive reviews and all the pre-release buzz about this novel, I figured I would give it a try. I am a straight man, but I definitely believe love is love, and that's what I wanted - a love story.

This book is very unique in the way it is written, including hand-drawn diagrams, that while charming, really add little to the story. The dialogue can be a little clunky at times and sometimes the phrasing just doesn't make a
The minute I finished reading, I wanted to start again. I loved the way the author moves back and forth through time-it felt very real--like a real person's thought process.
I was ashamed by how much I identified with Andrea. I think we've all been where she is, or known someone who has.
I hope that just because this book is called "lesbian" contemporary fiction doesn't mean that it gets marginalized. It's so much bigger than sexual identity: it's about self.
I'd compare the writer to Jennifer E
M-E Girard
This was a great read. The toxic relationship, and its obsessive nature were so well handled. The only glitch for me was the fact that I could not keep the time line straight. Flashbacks were told in the present tense as well, so for me, it was hard to tell where we were in the story (compounded with the fact that Jordan left twice, so it was like "wait, this was the first time she left?"). Maybe it's my own issue, and I should've read more carefully, so I still gave the book 5 stars because rea ...more
May 19, 2012 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars

Sarah Rosenblum is an extremely talented writer. She has an accurate and precise eye for the telling detail and some of her images still haunt me long after I finished the book. She gets close to psychological darkness and yet she knows when to ironically pull back. Both Andrea and Jordan are real- she gives them so much depth and complexity that neither of them can be easily dismissed. This is her debut novel and I look forward to reading everything that will follow.
I don't understand why so many people gave this five stars. It was fine, but nothing special. It jumped around a lot, there was no clear resolution, and calling the love interest (if that's what you want to call her) the "Criminal Mastermind" made me roll my eyes more than once. The story just didn't feel complete, and this read like someone's BFA Fiction thesis. Good thing it was a quick read.
I won this book through the goodreads giveaway. The writing is really good but sometimes it was confusing at what was going on with the unexpected flashbacks that you didn't know immediately were flashbacks. I had a hard time sympathizing with the two main characters and found they were a little too obsessive for me. But Sarah does have talent and is a very good writer.
Jul 27, 2012 Jess added it
Shelves: ebooks
I think if I had related at all to the characters it would have been a much better book. If you have ever been in a super unhealthy relationship with someone you will probably identify with the protagonist. Oddly formatted, kinda jumpy, it took me a bit sometimes to figure out what year was being talked about.
Philly Aesthete Brown
The writing itself is stellar, the clearest distillation of thoughts & ideas, but I simply never came to care for the 2 main characters nor for the almost microscopic view into their f!cked up relationship/love affair. My progress through this novel was slow & painful.
Jul 08, 2012 Patty rated it 5 of 5 stars
I read slowly on purpose, wanting to savor each nuanced sentence. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever made romantic mistakes or watched someone else make them. Herself When She's Missing is sometimes funny, often disturbing, and always rings true.
Rosenblum is part of a grand experiment in trying to utilize art to capture what love is, the pain, the slights, the rush, smell, touch and taste.

More -
The story is about a one-sided, emotionally abusive relationship. I had to stop reading it - just had no desire to finish.
Erin O'Neill
A MUST read!!! Make sure to preorder this book now. Brilliant first novel by an incredible writer...
Why don't more people know about this book? Best thing I've read in 2012.
Freddie Levin
Please read this first novel by a brilliant young author. You won't be sorry.
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Nikita Puma
Nikita Puma marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Aimée marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Lara Hassan
Lara Hassan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Alma Q (Scylla)
Alma Q (Scylla) marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Rubina Nerio
Rubina Nerio marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Liz Boettner
Liz Boettner marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Fantine Wu
Fantine Wu marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Jason Michael
Jason Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
  • Love Devours:  Tales of Monstrous Adoration
  • I Kiss Girls
  • Hey, Dollface
  • Hidden Voices: The Orphan Musicians of Venice
  • I Don't Remember You
  • The Summer of Love
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • Awake
  • Keeper of Secrets
  • Unborn (Unborn, #1)
  • Rosemary and Juliet
  • Bow To Me
A writer with an MFA in Creative Writing from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Sarah Terez Rosenblum freelances for sites/publications including Pop Matters and The Shepherd Express, as well as blogging twice weekly for The Chicago Sun Times. Her fiction has appeared through "Underground Voices" and "kill author" among other publications and she is a 2012 winner of Carve Magazine's Esot ...more
More about Sarah Terez Rosenblum...