Mississippi Bridge

Mississippi Bridge (Logans #4.5)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Jeremy Simms watches from the porch of the general store as the passengers board the weekly bus from Jackson. When several white passengers arrive late, the driver roughly orders the black passengers off to make room. Then, in the driving rain, disaster strikes, and Jeremy witnesses a shocking end to the day's drama. Set in Mississippi in the 1930s, this is a gripping stor...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Puffin (first published 1990)

Ramanda Flannery
This book is about a little white boy who talks about how black people were treated in his time. He sat on the steps of the general store in his town and watched the bus come through to pick up passengers from his town. There were a lot of people traveling on this particular day, two white family and three black familes. There was only room for two families so the black people had to get off the bus. The black people were upset but didn't say anything. He decided to go talk to one of the black p...more
Allison W.
Jul 02, 2013 Allison W. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th Grade & Up
Recommended to Allison W. by: NBMS Summer Reading List 2013
Unlike other Mildred Taylor books I've read about the Logan family, this one was not narrated by a member of the family but by a white boy in the community, Jeremy Simms. Taylor does a great job using him as the narrator and providing a glimpse into the mind of a white child who is at great odds with his father's view on how blacks should be treated.

She also does a great job in presenting a glimpse into some of the unintentional consequences of white's-first behavior in the South as well as a gl...more
Gale
JUDGMENT AT THE BRIDGE?

Here we meet again the Logan kids--those four rascals from Taylor's ROLL OF THUNDER. This read-in-one sitting short story is based on a real incident in the dark, prejudiced past of the deep South during the Depression. When Blacks had to sit at the back of the bus--if they were allowed to sit or even ride at all. Sassy Cassie is shocked by the way whites treat blacks, which is starkly contrasted by gentle Jeremy--whose nasty pa believes in keeping Negroes in their place...more
Amy Lemley
This is also an enlightening short story about times before blacks had equal rights, including side stories about fashion codes, job perspectives, and how not all white people thought like their parents who hated the blacks at the time. Two characters died at the end, but I did not find myself as sad or upset as I was with what happened at the end of "The Friendship." It would be neat to do a compare/contrast between the two short stories and a mini unit on black history with them.
Debbie
I really enjoy Mildred Taylor's writing. This book was difficult to read because of the racism the characters face, but the book is wonderful. The story includes her characters from Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.
David Tiefenthaler
We use this book for some of the lower readers in our middle school historical fiction unit. It fits well also as a text to show how the great depression affected strained racial relations in the south.
Mrs. Kris's Class
This book is about a Boy Named Jeramy, he is white. Back then white people were mean to Black people, that was around when we still had SLAVERY:( Jeramy wants to be friends with the Logan Family, the are black. But that does not STOP him from following them. I can not give away the BIG SUPRISE, so you'll just have to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By sofia *********************************************************************************************...more
Allen
Mississippi Bridge, by Mildred Taylor, takes place in Mississippi in the 1930's. The Logan family sees their grandmother off on a trip as she travels with the Josia family because their father has a new job. Because they are Black, they are told to get off the bus when there is not enough room on the bus because more white passengers board. After they get off, the bus crashes off the bridge into the water and they help the people in the water. The book deals with racism and segregation. it shows...more
Nykele Crandall
Brooke
Awful. Awful and wonderfully done.
Diana (Bever) Barber
This was a quick read. Much shorter than "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry." I'm a sucker for books set in the days of post-slavery segregation. I guess I should be more specific: 1950s era. Unfortunately, a lot of what's in these books by Mildred Taylor is still going on today. In this case, many of the characters are the same and the action centers around the store, the bus, and the bridge. It's quick, but it's worth your time to read.
Juan
It was a short book about racism in the United States. It was very boring to read and had barely any action in it. The climax of the story was when the bus fell into the Mississippi River. Which is ironic because an old black lady was kick off the bus because there was not enough space. The bus with mostly white people sunk but luckily black people managed to save them from drowning.
Jessica
this is a sad book I think that you shouldn't read this until you have read "ROLL OF THUNDER HEAR MY CRY" because this is the sequale and you need to read the first one before you read this because you won't know about the characters and who they are it would be confussing also this is an easy book and it is only about 50-70 pages it is really an easy read.
Carolyn
Although Mildred Taylor didn't grow up in the South, she's captured the racism and predudice of many Southerners in the days before the Civil Rights movement. This book has a sad ending which surprised me a little based on the cover and the age of the intended audience. I didn't think it was disturbing, but could bother some younger readers.
Amie
I thought this was supposed to be an excellent book. I was sure I'd heard wonderful things about it before. It's written at a fourth grade level, but the language and subject matter is far too mature. I think if it was billed as a short story for high school and adults, I would rate it better. As a children's book, it's not worth it.
Olivia
Though i only gave the book two stars it was a good book. The book was about a white boy ( Jeremy)who was agenst segregation but his papa was not he was really liking it or supporting and jeremy was afraid to help black people though he knew it was right. I would suggest this book to anyone who likes very fast moving books.
Volkert
Told from the perspective of white Jeremy Simms, who has befriended the black Logan family in racist Mississippi in the 1930s. Some black passengers are evicted from a bus to make room for last minute white passengers. The bus goes goes over a bridge railing and into the flooded river, resulting in death and serious questions.
Jim
typical Mildred Taylor, she punches you in the gut as much w/the quality of her writing as w/her story. 1930s in the south told from the stand point of a white boy to young to understand that racism is the "right" thing.
but not to young to learn irony.
Janette
This was a good choice for my third grade class. It was an eye-opener to the racial struggles in Mississippi through the experience of a boy and his friends during the 1930's. Although it was sad, it was touching, and great for discussion.
Arnetha
Although this is a children's book, I really enjoyed it. I wish it could have been longer. The story takes place in a little town store in Mississippi. The story tells us how the whites treated the blacks back in the 1930's....more
Sara
Jan 29, 2013 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
My 10 year old has finally become a reader who wants to talk about his book! This was a book for school for him but he has described all the action and wanted to discuss the racism the characters face.
Diana Pettis
Guided reading level S. I just finished reading this with a group of fifth graders at my school. They were very surprised about the ending and thought the way the author used dialogue was interesting.
Dianne
This book was a quick read and I enjoyed the perspective and link with the book, Friendship. It was hard to tell who was the "I" voice in the book. However, the dialogue enhanced the book.
Samelle
This book shows that there were some white people who helped African-Americans to fight against discrimination, segregation and racism
Tammy Gibbs
I'm still not sure if this belongs in an elementary school or not. I was confused and in tears by the end of its short 62 pages.
Firefly
The ending of this story chilled my heart as I read it. Mildred D. Taylor spins a story which ends in an ironic twist.
Mandy
Again, same characters as Roll of Thunder. It was a quick read. Obviously for younger readers.
Elaine
Easy read. Depicts life for African-Americanplace in a southern town during the 1930's.
Adele
This was a short book, but interesting because it is about segregation in the 1930s.
Tori
Apr 28, 2013 Tori added it
2013- A short novella that focuses on a story told from Jeremy Simms' viewpoint.
  • Skinnybones
  • Goin' Someplace Special
  • Sees Behind Trees
  • Uncle Jed's Barbershop
  • The Sign of the Chrysanthemum
  • More Perfect than the Moon (Sarah, Plain and Tall #4)
  • Journey to Jo'burg: A South African Story
  • Numbering All the Bones
  • Patty Reed's Doll: The Story of the Donner Party
  • The People Could Fly: American Black Folktales
  • Hiroshima
  • Hound at the Hospital (Animal Ark, #33)
  • Who Were the Beatles?
Mildred Delois Taylor is a famous author, known for her children's fiction books.

She did not stay in Jackson long; the racial discrimination in the South influenced the belief of her father, Wilbert Taylor, that better opportunities awaited his family in more northern states. Thus, after her first three months of life, her family moved to Ohio after her father established a factory in Toledo, Ohio...more
More about Mildred D. Taylor...
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Logans, #4) The Land Let the Circle Be Unbroken The Road to Memphis Song of the Trees