Start by marking “Song of the Trees” as Want to Read:
Song of the Trees

Song of the Trees (Logans #3)

With the depression bearing down on her family and food in short supply, Cassie Logan isn't sure where her next meal will come from. But there is one thing that she knows will always be there-the whispering trees outside her window. Cassie's trees are a steady source of comfort to her, but they also happen to be worth a lot of money. When Mr. Andersen tries to force Big Ma ...more
Published May 26th 2003 by Puffin Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Trees

NebraskaIcebergs
Jun 02, 2012 NebraskaIcebergs rated it really liked it
Sometimes I think I am a difficult book reviewer to please. One minute, I fault an author for leaving too many loose ends. The next minute, I fault an author for tying together too many of those loose ends. Yet the longer I review books, the more I feel that writing a good book is like catching lightning in a bottle. Song of the Trees by Mildred Taylor is an excellent example of a story that could have been composed wrongly in so many ways. It is the sign of a truly talented author that Mildred ...more
La'shae
Mar 07, 2012 La'shae rated it liked it
Shelves: educ-317
I liked this book very much. It touched upon very adult topics like racism and illness. I would not recommend for this book to be in a lower level elementary classroom because of its maturity and length; however, it should definitely be considered for an upper level classroom. I especially liked this book because of its message
Emily Yao
Dec 19, 2014 Emily Yao rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-reading
This is a great book! We read it on class recently. It is a very touching story about family, love, kindness and courage. It's amazing how a story like this can be so interesting and full of emotions in one small book!
Matthew Hunter
Heart-wrenching. This is the type of story where reviewers will call it "life affirming", which is code for "Prepare to feel deep discomfort or despair." There's no feel-good, only a family mistreated, a desperate lumber foreman, threats of violence, depression-era racism, and stately trees ("ancient loved ones") chopped down and left to decay. The family's inherent dignity lifted our spirits slightly during the bedtime read along, but in the end, it's doubt and sadness. "Dear, dear old trees, . ...more
Tiauna Holley
May 01, 2015 Tiauna Holley rated it it was amazing
This is a historical fiction book. This book holds a few awards such as the Jane Addams Children's Book Award, Coretta Scott King Award for Author Honor, First prize, Council on Interracial Books for Children, Outstanding Book of the Year Citation, The New York Times, and the Jane Addams Honors Citation. This book is about a family who seems loving, down to earth and lives with encouragement. With Cassie is in Mississippi her father is working in Louisianan to bring home money and medicine. Ther ...more
Molly Cline
Sep 03, 2015 Molly Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, 2015, series-3
This book won the Council on Interracial Books Award and also a New York Times Outstanding Book of the year in 1975. This was book #3 of the Logan series written by Ms Taylor. Although this book was more for children versus the first book "The Land" was, still almost just as good. And although she didn't write in the beginning of this one this is what she wrote in the first pages of "The Land" and it applies to this book as well... "...Although there are those who wish to ban my books because I ...more
Laura Verret
Cassie’s daddy is working down in Louisiana. The rest of the family waits in Mississippi for him to return with the money they need for food and medicine. Mama does so worry when Papa’s gone. They all do.

And this time they have something extra to trouble them. Mr. Andersen is trying to bully the Logans into selling him trees off of their land. It would give them the needed cash, but would Papa approve of it? If only he would come back home!

Discussion.

Mildred D. Taylor is excellent at characteriz
Books Kids Like
Cassie Logan's family is the only black family to own land in their township of Mississippi. It's hard for the white people in the area to countenance the confidence this land gives the Logans. They aren't typical of other blacks, and they certainly don't act the way the whites want them to. For Cassie the trees mean home. They are alive, and she can often hear them sing. One day the trees stop singing, however. Times are hard, and Mr. Logan is away working on railroad construction. Big Ma (Cass ...more
Jaybandz
Nov 12, 2010 Jaybandz is currently reading it
Big Ma && Her Family Is Going Threw A Hard Time Since Papa Is Away At Work trying Make Sum Money For His Family . Big Ma && Her Family Get Food From The Trees In The Forest Like Berries && All Kind Of Vegetables . So One Day There Is This White Men Named Mr. Anderson && He Want To Cut Down The Trees In The Forest && Mama Do Not Want Them To Cause She Know The Trees Mean Something To Her Kids.So Mr. Anderson Had Said If You Don't Want Me To Cut Down The Tre ...more
John Kim
Mar 13, 2012 John Kim rated it really liked it
The book “songs of the trees” talks about the indiscriminate development of environment. Cassie, main character, and her family are so poor that they always concern meals. Although she is in such environment, she becomes comfort with songs of the trees. However, white people who come from city try to cut off priceless trees to her with cost for the development. Finally, Mr. Anderson, one of white people, forces her grandmother to sell the trees while mentioning the harsh situation of the Cassie’ ...more
Josiah
Apr 06, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it
This book is a highly auspicious beginning to the incomparable (and still continued!) legendary saga of the Logan family. Mildred D. Taylor coaxes forth a lot of resonant feeling in these spare pages, writing with an elegance that belies her literary skill. I have found that while many people have read "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry", very few have also gone through this book that came first, and they are unaware that some events hinted at in the pages of "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" actually ...more
Amber
I feel like this story could have continued even further than from where it ended. I was very curious to know if the family had anymore problems out of Mr, Anderson, and also if the mama got her medicine to make her well. I could easily picture the story as I was reading it as well; I also liked how the author made the characters talk, almost hearing the southern accent they had. I feel like some of the pictures in the book were rather busy however, sometimes making it difficult to see what was ...more
Michelle Crunkleton-Clark
My daughters are preparing for Reading Olympics and this book was on the list. I decided to read it as it is by Mildred D. Taylor, best known for "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" (which I unfortunately haven't gotten around to reading yet!) It is a beautifully written book - place is well established, the characters are interesting, and the situation is riveting. However it falls short on content. It felt more like a chapter out of a book, than a book in its own right. Still a good and important r ...more
Angela
Though this book is short. I think it's a good book because it talks about the differences of two different races and how they settle arguments even though it's not a very pleasing conclusion. I am still mixed up about what gender Stacey is because I know Stacey as a name for girls not boys. Also, I can't believe that this story is based from a story that happened to the author's father. I learned that you should always stand up for what you believe in even if the consequences will hurt you.
Raquel
Sep 30, 2015 Raquel rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, september, 2015, y-a
I loved the Logan family after reading Roll of Thunder and decided to read the rest of Taylor's books. This serves almost like a prequel to Thunder. I loved Cassie's relationship with the trees on her family land. I was just bummed that this was so short, because the story could have been further developed. Felt like a novella or short story or even just a long chapter rather than a full book. Still, Taylor writes beautifully, so I enjoyed it.
Amanda
Mar 14, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who have read Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry
This was good almost as good as Roll of Thunder hear my Cry. If you read Roll of Thunder hear my cry read this book.

Loved this book, teached you about history.

My teacher recommened this book to me in 7th grade, I really liked it even though it took me awhile to get through. I really want to read the other books in this series, I only read Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry. So if you like these books then read the rest of the series.
Jean Haberman
Feb 21, 2012 Jean Haberman rated it liked it
Shelves: grades-4-6
A great "save the trees" message to read during earth month. A short story about a black family who owns their own property with a stand of trees. Father is away earning money for his family, while a white man forces Big Ma to take money in exchange for the trees. The children are horrified when the trees start coming down. Father returns in time to save some of the trees!
Teresa
Nov 04, 2008 Teresa rated it liked it
Cassie and her three brothers try to stop the white men from chopping down all their trees. This is a scary, heartwarming story. I hated the white guys, and I loved the black Father who turned out to be a hero. This book shows what times were like in America at one time, and is good for breaking down or preventing racial prejudices.
Tamara the Librarian
Jan 02, 2014 Tamara the Librarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: 4th-6th
VERY short book-- of all the books I have read by Taylor so far this was the least impressive. Plotline is simple and I found it not developed enough to really have the major impact emotionally-- characters also had no time to be developed. If this was my first Taylor read I would not be compelled to read more.
Alison
Mar 28, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed this book. The setting of the story was during the depression. I would like to have my students read this book and write about some hard times they have had in their lives. I would also like to hear about how they comprehended the book.
Lily Akre
Jul 25, 2015 Lily Akre rated it really liked it
I wish this book had been longer, but otherwise, I thought it was really good. It made me appreciate trees more. Mildred D. Taylor is a really good writer, and I recommend everyone read the Logan series (especially Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry).
Josie
Jan 23, 2010 Josie rated it liked it
This is a heart warming story about a little black girl who did not want a white man to cut down all the trees on her property. This book is written when blacks were still seperated from whites. Will she make a difference for blacks everywhere?
Ashlynn Pope
Mar 16, 2015 Ashlynn Pope rated it really liked it
This is a great read for history on the depression era and black history. I really did enjoy reading this because the artwork went so well with the text. This is a great story to read to bring awareness to history.
Nayira
Apr 12, 2016 Nayira rated it liked it
It's good to read stories about the depression days, shows how much people with color stood for their rights and fills you with pride.
Specially this little brave girl. Loved reading it to my student.
Tania Orozco
Mar 04, 2012 Tania Orozco rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because right away I dove right into it. The book is very descriptive which is probably why I really enjoyed reading the book. I would definitively recommend this book to others.
Lorna Satchwell
Oct 19, 2014 Lorna Satchwell rated it it was amazing
Another great story! Midred D Taylor is a wonderful story teller. This is the third book by her that I've read. She is very clear bold with her characters and the situations they find themselves in.
Kate
Jul 02, 2007 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
I had to present an oral book report on this novel sans notes in front of my 3rd grade class. I froze and forgot what to say. And there you have one of the worst school experiences of my life.
Audrey
Times are hard and white neighbors threaten to remove the trees from their land for a measly amount of cash money. Fortunately Cassie's Papa arrives in time to rescue them.
Angie
Mar 16, 2009 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: high-five-for-25
Casey loves the trees by her house, but then is told they will be cut down. Her mother needs the money for medicine. Casey will do anything to save those trees. Can she do it?
Cindy
Oct 07, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Continuing my Mildred Taylor kick...this was short, easy to read, and a sobering story about the place and rights of black people in turn of the century Mississippi.
  • The Mountaintop
  • Harlem Summer
  • The Fifty-First State
  • Elsewhere, California
  • The Roving Tree
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Wild Cat (Starlight Animal Rescue, #3)
Mildred DeLois Taylor is an African-American writer known for her works exploring the struggle faced by African-American families in the Deep South.

Taylor was born in Jackson, Mississippi, but lived there only a short amount of time, then moved to Toledo, Ohio, where she spent most of her childhood. She now lives in Colorado with her daughter.

Many of her works are based on stories of her family t
More about Mildred D. Taylor...

Logans (6 books)
  • The Land
  • The Well: David's Story
  • Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Logans, #4)
  • Let the Circle Be Unbroken