Start by marking “Alien Contact” as Want to Read:
Alien Contact

Alien Contact

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Are we alone? From War of the Worlds to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, ET to Close Encounters, creators of science fiction have always eagerly speculated on just how the story of alien contact would play out. Editor Marty Halpern has gathered together some of the best stories of the last 30 years, by today's most exciting genre writers, weaving a tapestry that covers a br ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Night Shade Books

To ask other readers questions about Alien Contact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Contact

Rob
Jun 21, 2012 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: John Joseph Adams
Marty Halpern presents us with an anthology of science fiction short stories predicated on (what else?) alien first contact. I was looking for an anthology like this. In my desperation for such a thing, I decided to start a rumor that John Joseph Adams (currently my favorite anthologist) was going to create such an anthology. And to this, JJA replied that Halpern had already done this. So I immediately rushed out and bought it.

Overall? I liked it very much; many stories I loved, and a few I coul
Kelly
An anthology is a bit like a buffet. You’ll find dishes you’re familiar with, those you usually avoid and lurking in between, the dodgy, odd looking stuff you’re not willing to try, but do anyway and either discover a new favourite or spend the rest of the night nursing a rebellious tummy.

With its impressive list of authors, ‘Alien Contact’ looked very appetising. Odd stuff would lurk in the corners, no doubt, but the appeal of such well-known names as Stephen Baxter, Orson Scott Card, Cory Doc
Bibliotropic
I'm not normally much for short story collections, but something about this book just spoke to me, so I couldn't resist taking the chance to read it, especially after seeing such a stellar (if you'll encuse the pun) list of contributing authors. Neil Gaiman, Ursula K LeGuin, Stephen King, and yet more. There's all kinds of talent evident in this collection, and I'll say right off the bat that this is a book that no sci-fi fan should really be without.

The stories contained within the book's pages
Miranda
This collection would probably put some readers off just with its title. Though I am a sci-fi fan, I'm sometimes put off by abduction stories and such, myself. However, the list of authors who contributed to Alien Contact includes Ursula Le Guin, Stephen King, Karen Joy Fowler, Orson Scott Card, Cory Doctorow, Neil Gaiman, and Nancy Kress, so I had to check it out. I'm glad that I did.
Though Stephen King's "I Am the Doorway" was a disappointing 'meh,' there were plenty of gems to make up for it
Shane
Guerrilla Mural of a Sirens Song 1/5
Angel - Pat Cadigan 4/5
The First Contact with the Gorgonids - Ursula K LE Guin 3/5
Robyn
A couple of stories in this anthology were home runs - I couldn't believe they were over so soon. I really wanted more. Others were eye rollers, but I finished them anyway. One was so bad I didn't finish it, which is really saying something about a story that couldn't have been 20 pages long. Most fell in between along a spectrum of awesome and not awesome. I'm glad I found this book though, because it introduced me to a couple of new authors I'll be looking for again (I don't have the book with ...more
Jenny
There were a few good stories here. What put me off was I bought the e-book and since it had no contents links I was unable to peruse story titles or jump between them as I like do with short story collections. So, when I hit a story half way in that I wasn't fussed on, it became a right pain flicking forward through virtual pages hunting for the next story. The result was that I became annoyed, closed the book and haven't been inclined to open it since.
David V.
Editor is my cousin whom I haven't seen in many years since he and his family moved to California when we were kids.
Really enjoyed this book, and not just because of the familial relationship. I'd never read any of these stories before. Even if you're not a science fiction fan, you'll like this because it tells more about us than "them." Some are funny and make you laugh out loud, some are sad, others just make you go "hmmmm."
Yuki
Authors: Paul McAuley, Ernest Hogan, Pat Cadigan, URSULA K. Le GUIN, Adam-Troy Castro, Michael Swanwick, Mark W. Tiedemann, Cory Doctorow, Elizabeth Moon, Nancy Kress, Jack Skillingstead, NEIL GAIMAN, Robert Silverberg, Jeffrey Ford, Molly Gloss, Bruce Sterling, Charles Stross, Stephen Baxter, Karen Joy Fowler, Harry Turtledove, George Alec Effinger, Stephen King, Pat Murphy, Orson Scott Card, Bruce McAllister
Laith
This is a terrific anthology, I would highly recommend it.

I really enjoyed this anthology, it has a good mix of serious and amusing, dark and happy tales.

You can catch my more detailed review on this one over at Dragon Page http://www.dragonpage.com/2012/03/01/... or in the podcast.
Luanne
Alien Contact is a great collection of stories about alien contact. A variety of authors were chosen giving the book a wide range of views of contact (Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Ursula LeGuin). Great gift for any scifi reader.
Scott
thank you Goodreads for this fantastic anthology! I LOVED it! I don't often read scifi (unless you count HPLovecraft) but this was a terrific collection of stories. I will probably reread this one on a regular basis.
Marty Halpern
Feb 14, 2012 Marty Halpern rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I've rated this book at five stars, with the caveat that I'm the book's editor: after working on this baby for three years, I think it deserves a noteworthy place on my GR bookshelf, dontcha think?
Albert
I won this book on Goodreads. Thank you! It is an excellent collection of scifi "first alien contact" stories. Discovered some great (new to me) authors.
Melissa Derr
Loving this book!!! The array of stories is mind-boggling. I love the diversity. Definitely recommend for the science fiction lovers out there!
Amanda
lots of stories, a few that weren't very good, a few that were totally delightful, and a majority of pretty OK ones.
Leigh
some of the stories were outstanding-others not so much. Still, I'm glad I read it.
Richard
a solid collection, some very good stories here
Marrk Fulghum
Marrk Fulghum marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
QS
QS marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Bruce Friedman
Bruce Friedman marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Deepak Kannan
Deepak Kannan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic SF
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure
  • Twenty-First Century Science Fiction
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century
Witpunk Is Anybody Out There? The Silver Gryphon The Iron Khan (Detective Inspector Chen #5)

“Occasionally I glanced at the big blue cradle of civilization hanging in the sky, remembered for the fiftieth or sixtieth or one hundredth time that none of this had any right to be happening, and reminded myself for the fiftieth or sixtieth or one hundredth time that the only sane response was to continue carrying the tune.” 1 likes