Start by marking “To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World” as Want to Read:
To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World

To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  669 ratings  ·  84 reviews
To Rule the Waves tells the extraordinary story of how Britain's Royal Navy allowed one nation to rise to power unprecedented in history. From its beginnings under Henry VIII and adventurers like John Hawkins and Francis Drake, the Royal Navy toppled one world eco-nomic system, built by Spain and Portugal after Christopher Columbus, and ushered in another -- the one in whi ...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Harper (first published February 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about To Rule the Waves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Rule the Waves

Six Frigates by Ian W. TollIn the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel PhilbrickThe Pirate Coast by Richard ZacksEmpires of the Sea by Roger CrowleyTwo Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana Jr.
Age of Sail Nonfiction
8th out of 119 books — 29 voters
Kon-Tiki by Thor HeyerdahlIn the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel PhilbrickThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian JungerThe Bounty by Caroline AlexanderTwo Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana Jr.
Best Seafaring History books
45th out of 52 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Hudson
Five emphatic stars delivered with the ear shattering crash of a thundering broadside of screaming metal from a 74 gun ship of the line!

This is an absolute must read for any fan of nautical history and if you are a fan of Patrick O'Brian (Master and Commander series) then you will enjoy the hell out of it as I did!

This book details the rise of the British Navy from the earliest days under Edward III until almost current day. The scope of the book is large, everything from trade to piracy, to col
Alex
It took me about three months to read this but that's not because of the book itself. This is a history of the British navy from Drake to the Falkland War. The subtitle oversells the book a little bit: I did not think the focus throughout was how the British navy shaped the world, although that was particularly true in a few specific instances. (More on that below.) But, regardless of the overreach of the subtitle, this is still an impressive book. Herman had to cover a lot of ground (well, wate ...more
Paul
This is a useful perspective on empire - and the "world order" we live in - delivered by a fine storyteller. Along the way, the reader is rewarded with insights into everything from common expressions in the English language that originated in naval practices, to the personal character and dramas of famous historical figures, to how American policy and markets participated in and served and expressed the needs and desires of the British world system of which - despite the political break - it wa ...more
Jessica
A fantastic account of the birth and growth of the Royal Navy and its implications on the world. Arthur Herman did a wonderful job of making this in depth account such an enjoyable and easy read. Anyone who is interested in history or international relations ought to read this book. From Francis Drake to Horatio Nelson to present day, To Rule the Waves was a magnificent piece of historical literature greatly educated me on the effects that the British Royal Navy has had not only on the world, bu ...more
Adr
I am surprised that, after 569 paperbacked pages, my lingering impression of this book is that it moved too quickly. It's no small feat to pack centuries of naval history into so short a tome, so I suppose I can't reasonably be disappointed. A fantastic read that had me making mental notes about specific incidents, individuals and eras to delve deeper into. Waves looks beyond the list of battles to the social, economic and political forces that drove and were driven by the Royal Navy on stages t ...more
JoséMaría BlancoWhite
The 600+ pages of this excellent British maritime history, rather than just British navy history, covers the facets of the relationship of Britain with her neighbor the sea. It's a story basically of ships and the men who sailed on them. The narrative style in which the myriad of voyages are recalled gives a sense of continuity to the book, a good thing when so many stories are told along such a broad chronological frame. So there is no discontinuity. It must have taken a heroic effort to summar ...more
P.
A wonderful book that tells the story of Her Majesty's Royal Navy from the first glimmerings of galleys and galleons to the conclusion of the Falkland campaigns. Mr. Herman does a masterful job of re-telling, with great fluency, the story of one of the most potent forces for good in the history of the world, the Royal Navy. Whether it be the campaigns of Drake, the organization and ability of Pepys, the exploits of Anson, St. Vincent, Nelson, Smith, et al., he brings the story alive with what in ...more
Martin Glen
Arthur Herman is one of those popular historians who conceals a commanding knowledge of his topic behind an easy narrative style, full of dramatic reconstructions and other documentary devices. It makses for effective transfer of knowledge and ideas, though it perhaps obscures where opinion takes over from received knowledge.

That said, an excellent read, bringing events from the Spanish Armada right through to the Falklands War, and his core argument of the essential role the Royal Navy played i
Bethany
A surprisingly quick and entertaining read, Herman gives a fascinating look at the history of the Royal Navy--Tudors to Thatcher--and the way it helped shape the world. He provides a clear narrative and makes the most of the colorful characters with which the Navy abounded. His accounts of individual battles are notably well done and comprehensible, even to those of us who aren't generally drawn to military history.
Jeremy
An excellent read. Herman was able to mix a good amount of facts and character development with his art of storytelling. He was rather gifted at explaining situations and how things moved together. Not only will you walk away with an appreciation for the Royal Navy but will also get a rough overview of recent British history, including it's political situations.

I was disappointed with his ending. It appeared that after a concise conclusion of the Falklands conflict that he dropped off. There was
Marcus
Actually how the British Navy helped Britain to dominate the world, in succession to the Spanish and Portuguese, and in defiance of the French – then secure that position through the products of the Industrial Revolution. And how, since Nelson and Trafalgar, it has hung on, more by luck than judgement, and with American assistance, to be on the winning side of two more world wars.
This is a Who’s Who of British naval heroes (many villains, perceived as heroes) and their achievements. It assumes s
Jim Strebeck
Wonderfully written. Engaging style. Obviously any book covering such a broad topic will necessarily gloss past certain details, but as far as what it does cover, you'll find few equals.
Craig
This was a superb history of the Royal Navy and it's role in shaping the world. It is filled with larger than life characters and so many interesting historical tit-bits that have entered our vocabulary - like to 'strike' and 'to let the cat out of the bag'. I found it hard to put it down, but agree with some other reviewers that the end was a bit of a letdown - what was an immensely engrossing book seemed to fizzle a bit at the end - it jumps from the end of WWII to a rather brief recount of th ...more
Nancy
Sep 30, 2009 Nancy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, 2009
Ohhh, this book. It took up my whole summer because I let it. I knew I wasn't that into it but thought I could power through it...yeah, no. Sure couldn't. Instead, I bought Real Simples and Esquires and anything else I could to distract me at lunch and on train rides, and I fell way behind in my 100 book goal (now looking very much out of reach).

I don't think it's a bad book in that the thesis is solid, but the man is not a good story-teller nor can he decide if his audience already knows every
Marisa
Can't sleep? Have insomnia? Read about British naval history! (In all seriousness, the book isn't terrible but I overestimated my Anglophilia on this one.)
Chris
The history of the British Navy! Woohoo!
Stuart Malcolm
A really enjoyable read. Fast paced and filled with interesting little asides and stories this is written more like a thriller, rather than the broad historical sweep it really is. Full of information but never turgid. Highly recommended.
Jfarley
I don't think the author even comes close to proving the assertion in his subtitle, even though he gives lots of anecdotal evidence.

But, if you are looking for a good thumbnail sketch of the history of the Royal Navy(and England for that matter), than this is a good book to introduce the subject.

It's a well written, fast read that covers most of the major battles and more importantly most of the big personalities of Her Majesty's Navy.

Phil
A very detailed and comprehensive history of the British Navy, from the days of the Seadogs to the Falkland War. In spite of the book's detail and span, it is an engaging read, although it is difficult to remember any real details afterwards. In addition to the enjoyment of reading this book, I learned all sorts of trivia like where the term "grog" comes from, that the phrase "square meal" originated in the British Navy, and (horrifyingly) that in 1720 the average Briton consumed twelve pounds o ...more
Moses Operandi
Absolutely top-notch. From the profiteering days of Drake and Raleigh to the ignominy of the Suez and the tentative renascence in the Falklands, this is the story of the Royal Navy, from officers to enlisted men, from tall ships to steamers to missile-equipped cruisers. Herman's narrative is enjoyable and assured. He certainly doesn't withhold praise for Churchill, or criticism for Labour and their mishandling of the Navy after 1945, but overall this is a well-balanced and fascinating account.
Gordon
Much better that "How the Scots invented the modern world" it still suffers from the bit of a non-fiction slog.

Herman could also do with a better overall timeline - the overlapping timelines of various chapters (with his oh-so-not-always-helpful cross-references to individuals in other chapters) makes for a sometimes confusing read. Also, with the scope of this book, it sometimes diminishes the impact of all that was going on in the world in such a short space of time.
Mark
This was an outstanding study of just how influential the Royal Navy has been on today's world. From the Spanish Armada to the Second World War, Britannia truly ruled the waves. The real reason America was able to fulfill its manifest destiny without any interference from Europe was because of the shield of the Royal Navy. As a veteran of the U.S. Navy, it was plain to me, after reading this book, just how much of our traditions and habits were derived from our forerunner.
Julian Haigh
Great whirlwind overview showing the evolution (and decline) of the British Royal Navy from piratical raids against the Spanish, then French, then Dutch seafarers in the channel to the Caribbean and India. The British Empire and the Royal Navy were pretty much the same thing and Britain effectively positioned itself through technological change and global politics to become the world's policeman. The state of affairs never lasts forever but the sun still doesn't set! ...
smboro
My favorite line (so far) - Geography, some historians agrue, is destiny. - chapter three, Unknown Limits... meanwhile, this book made me realize thet the American exceptionalism sprouts out from... Protestanism.
April 16th of 2011 update - if only Arthur Herman had characters like Emma Hamilton the way Tolstoy wrote about Anna Pavlovna this book would’ve been the British “War and Peace”.
October 8, 2011 - This book is a textbook, period.
Frieda Cramer
This book should be a companion for all who have or are reading the "Master and Commander" series by O'Brian. A thorough and fascinating history of the British Navy for non-historians. Herman adds weight to the O'Brian series and verifies much of M&C as being very true to the history of the time. A must read for all visitors to England if you want to understand the richness of their history in the post-Elizabethean world.
Eric
This is a fascinating book. Although there are certainly some factual errors as pointed out by numerous reviewers I've read far more of this book then I intended too. At first, I was just planning on reading a few sections to supplement other books I had read, I instead became enthralled. Every time I pick it up I become enthralled in it again but every time I put it down I get distracted and go read something else.
Heather
Absolutely fascinating, and too short! This book could easily be twice the length and still have more to say. I wish more attention had been paid to some details and links, but in all a very involving read. It is never logical how history picks some names or battles over others to remember after facts come to light; some of the lesser known names and facts get some attention here.
Tom
Well-written and engaging, the book is an overview of the 500+ year history of the British navy, from Jack Hawkins to the Falklands war. As such, it skips through a lot of UK history to stay focused on the navy's role. But he does a good job, especially early on, of doing character sketches of these many colorful historical figures, many of whom (like Samuel Pepys) I'd never heard of.
Rebecca Fieler
I bought this book because I enjoyed Arthur Herman's history of the Scots. I enjoyed this book as well. One of the things I liked -- and this may sound a bit odd -- is that this book lends itself very well to being broken up into shorter pieces; you don't have to read the whole book at one time. As someone who reads during her lunch break, I appreciate that characteristic.
Mark Allen
Jul 12, 2007 Mark Allen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history nerds
This was one of the most fascinating books I've read in a while, revealing worts and all how the British Navy came to shape the political culture of much of the world. From its ancient origins with Henry VIII to its modern incarnation, this is a really readable summary of the British Navy and all of its greatest heros and battle engagements for the last 500 years.
  • The War for All the Oceans: From Nelson at the Nile to Napoleon at Waterloo
  • If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy--from the Revolution to the War of 1812
  • Nelson: A Dream of Glory, 1758-1797
  • The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649­-1815
  • Cochrane: The Real Master and Commander
  • The Age of Revolution (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #3)
  • Castles of Steel
  • Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
  • Empires Of The Sea: The Final Battle For The Mediterranean, 1521-1580
  • Seize the Fire: Heroism, Duty, and Nelson's Battle of Trafalgar
  • Ripples of Battle: How Wars of the Past Still Determine How We Fight, How We Live & How We Think
  • The Influence Of Sea Power Upon History, 1660 - 1783
  • A History of Britain: The Wars of the British 1603-1776 (A History of Britain, #2)
  • The Victorians
  • The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997
  • The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain
  • Sahib: The British Soldier in India 1750-1914
  • The Armada
How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World and Everything in It Gandhi and Churchill: The Epic Rivalry that Destroyed an Empire and Forged Our Age Freedom's Forge: How American Business Built the Arsenal of Democracy That Won World War II The Cave and the Light: Plato Versus Aristotle, and the Struggle for the Soul of Western Civilization The Idea of Decline in Western History