Start by marking “Writing for the Web: Creating Compelling Web Content Using Words, Pictures and Sound” as Want to Read:

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
With "Writing for the Web," you ll learn everything you need to know to create effective Web content using words, pictures, and sound. Follow along as instructor and writer Lynda Felder combines easy-to-follow guidelines with photographs, lists, and tables to illustrate the key concepts behind writing nonlinear, interactive stories; creating succinct and clear copy; and wo ...more
Published November 6th 2011 by New Riders Publishing (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing for the Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing for the Web

Stephen Gallup
Feb 25, 2012 Stephen Gallup rated it it was amazing
Whether via posts on Facebook or entries on their own blogs, just about everybody seems to be writing for the Web now. It may be that most of the writing we do is destined for the Web.

I recall in his latter years, Kurt Vonnegut scoffed that the Internet had disproved the old claim that a million monkeys pounding on keyboards would eventually produce a work of genius. He claimed, professional curmudgeon that he was, that writings on the Net are all garbage.

That’s nonsense, of course, but writing—
Amanda
Apr 25, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, guide
I had the chance to read this as research for work. There were some good points I was able to put into a tentative style guide for writing future web content. The book is laid out well, and the language is understandable. The writing exercises and tips could also be valuable for someone getting started with writing or looking to write a blog or fiction.

Professionally, I wasn't able to use many of the tips for the type of writing I need to do, but I was able to absorb a lot of things to apply to
Helen
Mar 08, 2015 Helen rated it liked it
This is a great book for the novice web writer. Web content needs to be written in a different way than a book or magazine article. This 181 page book will help you understand how to write effectively for the web.

You will learn how to write succinctly and make your website visually appealing. Other basic instructions are given for working with images, videos, and sound. There is also information on writing instructions (for technical writers). The book is clearly laid out with simple (but fun) p
Adrienne
May 10, 2015 Adrienne rated it liked it

WRITING FOR THE WEB...
----------------------

A book for beginners and for those with no web-writing experience.

Good introduction to the topic.
Abbie Davey
Jun 18, 2014 Abbie Davey rated it really liked it
I own an online magazine (inspirationhut.net) and this book helped heaps! I still flick through it to help me with my writing.
Pat East
May 07, 2013 Pat East rated it really liked it
This book seems to be a really good resource for beginning writers. I found it a bit too simple as an experienced writer, but it did remind me of some things.

I take issue with some of the parts of this book, but by and all, they are just details and a matter of personal taste.

The biggest problem that I found with this book is that it really doesn't start to take off for me until the sixth chapter, almost halfway through the book. That being said, it is a fairly good read.

If you have to work wit
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Mar 18, 2015 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
This book's author has an incredibly low opinion of people who read online content. Half of her advice is basically, "People don't want to read, so try not to make them." The other half of her advice is to follow AP Style, but she doesn't call it that (but that's what she's describing). I'd skip this one.
Katie
Mar 26, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
This book was so-so. Some of the ideas were good, but overall I think it was written to a lower level of experience than I thought going in. It would probably be helpful for someone just starting out with writing. There were a few things that were good reminders to consider for experienced writers and experienced web authors.
Lizzi Robertson
Jul 02, 2015 Lizzi Robertson rated it really liked it
Shelves: helpful
Read this for a class. Excellent prompts and ways of getting you to think in multiple ways about writing. The last chapter is particularly helpful as it's chock full of mini "assignments" to practice different techniques and types of writing.
Isabella
Jul 09, 2013 Isabella rated it really liked it
This book basically covered everything there is to know and learn about writing and content development for the web. Great read!
Jiří Charvát
Jiří Charvát marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Prabhakar
Prabhakar marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Uly Abad
Uly Abad is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Nicholas Alexander
Nicholas Alexander is currently reading it
May 10, 2016
Sultan Shalakhti
Sultan Shalakhti rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Nicky Asher-Bowling
Nicky Asher-Bowling rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Subash
Subash marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Feb 25, 2016
Pritta
Pritta added it
Feb 21, 2016
Jenna Jaco
Jenna Jaco rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Jason Dwinnell
Jason Dwinnell rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Anja Regine
Anja Regine is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lynda Felder has been writing digital content professionally for more than 15 years. She teaches several college-level writing courses, including Web writing, and she is an active volunteer at elementary schools, where she leads storytelling and writing workshops.
More about Lynda Felder...