The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)

The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  3,630 ratings  ·  438 reviews
She’s been six different people in six different places: Madeline in Ohio, Isabelle in Missouri, Olivia in Kentucky . . . But now that she’s been transplanted to rural Louisiana, she has decided that this fake identity will be her last.

Witness Protection has taken nearly everything from her. But for now, they’ve given her a new name, Megan Rose Jones, and a horrible hair c...more
Published May 14th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
39th out of 492 books — 2,265 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
156th out of 1,419 books — 9,864 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Rachel♥
Anytime I hear mystery, romance, and danger as descriptors for a story my ears immediately perk up. I love the thrill of trying to piece together a mystery, and the way my heart rate races when reading suspenseful scenes. Add in a romance that makes me swoon, and you have my favorite type of read! The Rules For Disappearing ticked all those boxes for me.

Meg, the name she goes by now, has been moved six times in the last year as part of the Witness Protection Program. This time seemed different...more
Wendy Darling
This is the type of book that usually never works for me in YA, but this one totally did. Sure, I guessed the secrets ahead of time, but honestly I liked the voice/characters enough that that didn't even matter.

The full text of this review appears in The Midnight Garden.
Giselle
Another fake identity for "Meg" means another town, another school, another life altogether. In a book like this, mystery becomes the main element of the plot; why and who are they hiding from. Even though the book is actually a pretty good contemporary with decent characters and a compelling romance, the mystery element lost its flair for me fairly quickly, leaving me with a lukewarm read with some sparks, but not enough to hold its flame.

The fire of this one initially died when the plot kept...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The Rules for Disappearing is a book for those who are prepared to put logic aside, a least for a little while. It is comparable to an action movie, albeit one with solid characterization. It is captivating and very impressive in some ways, but if you expect it to be realistic and to always make sense, you might end up disappointed.

Meg and her younger sister Mary have been through so many witness protection placements that they don’t want to choose their own names anymore. Their parents are taki...more
Karla (Reads and Thoughts)
I love every tiny bit of this book!

I hope the statement above give you a jump start on how I really feel about reading this. I plan to write my review about this read with that statement just written over and over again thinking that that would be enough for you to check it out but I guess I could still share other insights about it to push you more to read this because it was sooooo worth it! I know the year just started and there are way lot more books to come out but I know Rules for Disappea...more
Jana (The Book Goddess)
This was the first book I've ever read that's about the Witness Protection Program. I didn't really know a lot about it so I was looking forward to this book and I had very high hopes. But I guess my too high expectations were just tooo high and unforetunately, I was left really unsatisfied and unimpressed.

I had a bit of a problem regarding the characters. Meg really wasn't anything special. She was SO boring! She had no personality whatsover and let me tell you know, I wanted to strangle her y...more
Zemira Warner
This is a story about a girl in protective service who had to move a bunch of times so she is not up for meeting new people when she is forced to move to a small town in Louisiana. Her family was upper-middle class (I think) before they had to change their identities. Meg (or Sissy) is determined to find out the truth from her parents but they aren't really the sharing types. Dad is always working while mum is constantly drunk so she mostly takes care of her sister, Mary (or Teeny) who is afraid...more
Joy (joyous reads)
On the run from the bad guys, Meg has been through several moves and identity changes. She's lived by a set of rules that had so far saved her sanity from their last two relocations. Under the Witness Protection Program, she's learned not to get attached, not to make friends and to make herself as invisible as possible. But when their family was yet again relocated to Louisiana, remaining incognito had become impossible. Thanks to a boy who wouldn't leave her alone, a family on the verge of inev...more
Brie
I love, love, loved The Rules for Disappearing.

Meg is kind of a badass. Yes, she does spend a bit of time whining about how much her life sucks, but being shoved into Witness Protection and moved around a bunch of times will do that to a person. But she sucks it up and does what needs to be done when it needs to be done. And that earns her a shitload of brownie points from me.

Ethan is absolutely adorable and one of the best YA love interests I've encountered in a very long time. (I would love t...more
Farah
Apr 12, 2013 Farah marked it as to-read
Shelves: keep-in-mind
I just discovered this book on my recommendations and here I am, le me scrolling down and all (majority) of the arc reviews include either 4 or 5 stars (the blurb is also intriguing <3) and now I'm like:
Valerie
Meg (it's Anna really) is in the witness protection program with her family and she is now on her sixth move. This time she is determined to survive it unscathed, meaning no clubs, no friends, and no boyfriends. And this time she is going to find out what her father did to get them into all this. Her mother is drinking too much, her little sister is withdrawing into herself, and her dad is not telling her anything.

I was intrigued by the premise of the book, probably because I don't read a lot o...more
Emily (Falling for YA)
The Rules for Disappearing follows Meg as she tries to figure out what happened to land her family in the witness protection program. She has been in 6 placements since she got stuck in the program and her family is falling apart. Meg wants this to be her last placement but with her track record she isn’t hopeful.

Possibly my favorite thing about this novel was that Meg had a part time job at a Pizza Place. When I was in High School my family owned a pizza place so I really relate to characters t...more
Sana
Mystery always pull me in so it's no surprise that I wanted to read The Rules for Disappearing. It's like a book about multiple personality disorder without the actual disorder. It makes me think and think hard about life on the run. It isn't always glamorous. It isn't always oh-so-cool. The reality hit me hard and I left me on the floor gaping.

There is irony in the way each chapter begins with a rule, the rule Meg simultaneously breaks. I felt her pain and I kept thinking why did Ashley Elston...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I love Ethan. He might very well be the best part of this book. Okay, maybe not the best part because I really enjoyed the storyline and the other characters as well but I just adored Ethan. He was just amazing and I love that he never gave up on Meg. That he pushed her when she didn't want to be pushed and stuck with her when she didn't want anyone there. You have to admire a guy for that.

Where to start with the rest of the story? Hmm, not sure really without giving too much away.

Meg is in wit...more
Khanh (Destroyer of Dreams)
There are several keywords in a book blurb that quickly hooks me in, "Witness Protection" is one of them. Unfortunately, I found this book to be frustrating and dull, the love interest an obtrusive jerk, the mystery not engrossing, the ending too rushed, and the people involved too willing to go along without any explanation. Ultimately, there were too many flaws to keep me engrossed.

"Meg" and her family has been under Witness Protection for almost a year. Without any explanation from the federa...more
Jude
GIVEAWAY - Win A Finished Copy of "The Rules for Disappearing" by ASHLEY ELSTON [US ONLY] .

I felt like a lost Chihuahua when I finished reading this. Yep, that's totally a feeling.

Let me explain. From the summary you gather that "Meg" is in witness protection but she doesn't know why, after the sixth move she gets tired of not knowing and she sets out to find the truth. Now, I just want to say that I did read the summary of this book before I read it/requested it, but I kind of forgot the summar...more
Heather
A more detailed, full review to be posted at The Flyleaf Review closer to publication.

This book grabbed my attention right away after reading the Goodreads synopsis: a fed up teenager in the Witness Protection Program trying to figure out what her dad must've done to land them there? INTRIGUING. And the good news is this book totally lived up to my expectations.

There are a lot of very cool things about this debut by author Ashley Elston. There is the engaging premise, who hasn't wondered what l...more
Elle
This book was blow your socks off AMAZING!! The plot, setting, characters, and style were all perfect! This book doesn't end with a happily ever after, but it doesn't end with everyone dieing either. The Rules for Disappearing isn't just your typical new girl is distressed story. No, that distressed girl is in a witness protection program! She spent a year moving every month to a different state and school. Now she is ready for answers. Her family moves and gets new names, cars, houses, friends,...more
Sara Bennett
I read a review for this book and was immediately interested. I mean it is about a girl who is fed up with WPP! It just sounds fun :) Plus the cover was pretty mysterious and the review was positive. So I was happy to pick this up at my library a couple weeks ago.

The Rules for Disappearing is about a girl named Meg. At this location anyway. It's not her real name, it's one that she chose for this town, it's her family's sixth placement in the witness protection program. She is sure that somethin...more
De'Zsa
Hm.. This review will most likely contain spoilers.

2 stars seems like too much for me. I really liked the first 3/4 of this, but the ending just went downhill. I don't have The Rules For Disappearing next to me, so I can't really extract examples from the book that I disliked (I will once the weekend comes).

The Rules for Disappearing has nice characters, and there were some funny moments. However, I felt detached from the characters. Meg is just confusing and hard to connect with. I understand w...more
Abbie
The rules for disappearing was a pretty boring book, up until the halfway mark.

Meg is in witness protection, and she doesn't know why.
After seeing how much each move effects her sister, she decides this is the last placement they will go to... but first, she needs to find out why they're there.

Meg didn't get answers until the halfway point, so it made a really dull read until then.
It was quite good when it was revealed why they were there, though.
Unfortunately, after that, it went through anot...more
Shil (On a new journey,getting married!!!)
Quite an ending, glad to know there's a second book but equally bummed for the year wait to get my answers.

I agree the book had me intrigued and hooked from the start and kept me guessing every now and then but the last 15-20% after Meg finally discovers the reason behind her family being under Witness Protection, i wasn't happy how the story proceeded thereon. I expected more or rather i wanted it to be more exciting and adrenalin pumping.

But overall not bad.
I received a digital ARC of this book for review.

The best part of this book is the basic idea of the book - a teenage girl in witness protection! That's a story idea that I haven't read before, and as someone who used to watch In Plain Sight (on USA - about Marshals who work in witness protection), I was definitely interested.

The book goes down from there. A lot of the dialogue is sort of simple and uninteresting, and sometimes there are no transitions between scenes - we're somewhere, and then...more
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

I enjoyed this book, a lot, up until the ending. It was abrupt; had me scratching my head going that's it? Maybe I'm wrong in saying the ending I didn't like because it wasn't the ending it was right before the ending. I am curious to see it addressed in the second book; maybe that will help me get over it's abruptness? It just leaves me with a lot of questions and I hate having questions running through my head.

Throughout the book I was just dying to...more
Ms. Yingling
"Meg" has been moved with her family in the Witness Protection Program to six different places in under a year. Her father is behind it, but Meg (her latest name) has no idea what. Her mother, unable to deal with the situation, has descended into alcoholism, and her former CPA father is just trying to make ends meet working in a warehouse job. Her sister, Teeny, is becoming more withdrawn and uncommunicative. Meg misses her former life, with nice clothes, lots of friends, and not looking over he...more
Brandi Kosiner
Loved this premise, and The Rules for Disappearing definitely delivered. It packed a lot of emotion that I wouldn't have necessarily expected. I connected with Meg, she was smart, and loyal to her family in a big way. I also loved her snark. She is by no means perfect because she has low self esteem at times (another reason I connected for her and cheered for her.)
The moving around from being in the witness protection program has taken a huge stress on her family, and Meg had to step up in way...more
readknitread
Jen (A Book and a Latte)
Originally posted on A Book and a Latte :

I wanted to read The Rules for Disappearing from the moment I read the synopsis. I was thrilled to finally read it, and it did not disappoint. I was immediately sucked into this novel, and read it within a day!

The Rules for Disappearing is such an original, fascinating, and suspenseful story. I’d never even heard of a YA novel that had to do with the Witness Protection Program before this one, and I loved getting Anna’s perspective of the program. Her fam...more
BookHookup
The original review for this title can be found HERE on The Book Hookup.

Christina's Review:

** Special Note: ** An eARC of this title was provided by the author/publisher via Net Galley for review purposes during the blog tour. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All quotes and opinions will be of this version and not from the published edition.

ACTUAL 4.5 RATING!

The Lowdown: Meg (or it could be Madeline, Isabelle, Olivia depending on where her family has been relocated) is i...more
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: When I heard about this novel, I knew I had to read it. It sounded so freaking good and it was! So happy I gave this debut a chance!

We are introduced to Meg aka the girl with more than one name. She’s in the witness protection program along with her mother, father, and little sister. They have moved town to town quite a few times already on what Meg believes something her father seen. She hates moving and changing her name but she deals with it.

She ends up in a small town and meets...more
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • Thousand Words
  • How My Summer Went Up in Flames
  • Truth or Dare (Truth or Dare, #1)
  • Fault Line
  • How I Lost You
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • Premeditated
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • Canary
  • Fake ID
  • Five Summers
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • The Summer I Became a Nerd
  • Golden
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • Red
Ashley Elston lives is North Louisiana with her husband, three sons and two cats. She worked as a wedding and portrait photographer for ten years until she decided to pursue writing full time. Ashley is also a certified landscape horticulturist and loves digging in the dirt. Her debut novel, THE RULES FOR DISAPPEARING, will be published by Disney Hyperion in winter 2013.
More about Ashley Elston...
The Rules for Breaking (The Rules for Disappearing, #2)

“He hugs me tight while I look behind him, scanning faces like I did a few seconds ago. And like I will do for the rest of my life.” 10 likes
“But there is one part of this that hurts. The carefree, normal part. The part of me that was lost when we first moved and that I'll never get back.” 9 likes