Start by marking “A Series of Unfortunate Events Collection: Books 1-3 with Bonus Material: The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window” as Want to Read:

A Series of Unfortunate Events Collection: Books 1-3 with Bonus Material: The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1-3 boxed set)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,535 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Lemony Snicket’s unhappy tale of the unlucky Baudelaire siblings begins with The Bad Beginning. In this short bothersome book alone, the three orphans encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

Should you not mind deadly serpents, slippery salamanders, lumpy beds, large brass r...more
Published November 1st 2011 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Series of Unfortunate Events Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Series of Unfortunate Events Collection

Tiffany
Sep 13, 2009 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with a crazy sense of humour!
Shelves: fiction, humour, youth, series
These books cracked me up. I love Lemony Snicket. I love the humour in the books, and how everyone was just so stupid, except for the Baudelaire children. I love the narrator's dire warnings about how you should not read these stories, how repulsive and unpleasant they are. There is much irony in the stories (the doll's name is Pretty Penny--in a story about depressing, terrible things...) and I think Lemony Snicket is brilliant. Plus, I think, reading them as a child, you would learn a whole ne...more
Molly
the whole series is ridiculously brilliant. kids don't even realize that they're learning big words and historical fatcs, because the stories are amazing and exciting. i simply do not understand why some children persist in merely reasing harry potter over and over and over when there are books like this. i don't like harry potter. there. i've said it. and although it was only for a moment, i did at one point briefly contemplate getting a tattoo of an eye on my ankle, just like count olaf...mayb...more
Matthew
Children's books often deal with the adult world in a dark way, with our heroes at the mercy of bad guardians. Usually we have the comfort of knowing that authors don't allow children to suffer indefinitely, and there will be a happy ending. This is usually within the book itself, or possibly at the end of a book cycle. (You didn't really believe those rumours that J K Rowling was going to kill off Harry Potter, did you?)

The Lemony Snicket books offer two unusual twists on this established plot...more
Kelsey Lynn
I like these books a lot. I think it is so hilarious how the Author just tells you not to read them over and over again. I really like especially how he adds himself into the mysterious mystery of V.F.D. like its a real thing, and how he tells us where he is feverishly typing away. Theyre a fun read for sure!
Carolynn
I thoroughly enjoyed the first several- maybe up to 6-7 even, but they kind of started to drag after a point. The novelty of the general tone carried me through all 13 though... I'm a softy for kid books along these lines.
Heidi
I am in love with the author's persona, but after the first novel, the plots were not only the same, but I grew toooooo weary of every single adult being completely useless or evil.
Eleidhunita
¡Fue el primer "libro gordo" que leí! ¡Y eso que estaba en mi etapa no lectora! Me apetece releerlo, pero le tengo pánico a volver a leerlo y que no me guste :(
Neftalik
Don’t you just like adventurous stories with a massive amount of suspense? Well if so then you’ve come to the right place! Lemony Snicket’s the Ominous Omnibus adventure packed story that’s just right for you. So go join Klaus, Violet, and Sunny Baudelaire on their series of unfortunate events!
Violet, Klaus, and sunny Baudelaire were peacefully enjoying a foggy day at the beach, tossing stones and observing the native creatures there. Then it happened. Their parent’s friend and local banker, Mr...more
Amy (Turn the Page)
This is a fantastically unique series for younger readers. Snicket actually becomes like a character himself, as he narrates the unhappy tale of Violet, Klaus and Sunny – possibly three of the most unstereotypical YA characters you will ever read – as though talking directly to the reader.

Violet is fourteen and an inventor, able to build useful contraptions and devices out of almost anything. Klaus, ‘a little older than twelve’ is very intelligent and reads a lot, while Sunny enjoys biting thing...more
Sakura87
Sono desolato di dovervi annunciare che il libro che avete fra le mani è estremamente sgradevole. Racconta infatti la triste storia di tre ragazzi molto sfortunati.

La Stamberga dei Lettori
Una serie di sfortunati eventi è un ciclo in tredici romanzi per ragazzi attribuito a Lemony Snicket, narratore della storia e marginale personaggio della saga, nonché eteronimo dell'autore Daniel Handler. L'edizione da me letta è quella inglese, e contiene i primi tre volumi della saga, che rimaneggiati costituiscono anche la trama del grazioso film Lemony Snicket - Una serie di sfortunati eventi diretto da Brad Silberling e con Jim Carrey nei panni del Conte Olaf.

The Bad Beginning (in italiano...more
Jessica Duck
The Bad Beginning written by Lemony Snicket and illustrated by Brett Helquist is a sad and grieving tale of three orphans named Violet, Klaus and Sunny. The story begins with a warning and a very brief description of the tale but it finally begins. Violet, Klaus and Sunny were at Briny Beach when a banking friend told them terrible news, their parents had perished in a fire that destroyed the whole mansion. From that day on sadness and grief would follow. From when they knocked on Count Olaf's d...more
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I’ve been meaning to read A Series Of Unfortunate Events for ages, so when I was browsing through the children’s section at the library, I had to pick this up!

I didn’t like it as much as I thought, and if I stopped after reading the first book, I would have been fine. For those not familiar with the series, it’s about the unfortunate lives of the Baudelaire orphans. In the first book (The Bad Beginning), we learn that their parents died, so the 3 children go to live with Count Olaf. He’s after t...more
Dominique
These books start the tale of the Baudelaire orphans and the unfortunate events that keep happening to them. First, their parents die in a tragic and sudden fire, then they are sent off to live with relatives that they have never met before. It isn't very long before they realize that they are victim is the terrible plans of Count Olaf, who is trying to get his hands on their fortune. He comes up with devilish plans to trap the children, even going as far as to murder people. They must escape hi...more
Eli
April Helms
The first three books in the popular series of stories about the unfortunate Baudelaire orphans. After their parents die in a house fire, Violet, Klaus and Sunny are forced to live with their distant cousin, Count Olaf. Olaf is a cruel, treacherous and cunning foe who is after the Baudelaire fortune, and it is up to the intelligent children to thwart him. It’s pretty easy to read, fast-paced and full (sometimes over-full) of sly asides and wink-and-nudge humor, such as Olaf’s “in loco parentis”...more
Missi
The stories are fun but make sure your kids can handle it before you let them read it for themselves. The "author" is a wonderful story teller and I love the way they introduce so many large and unusual words. The story is definitely a form of dark humor for the younger set but some of the wording I though could have been lightened up a bit. There was talk of slitting throats and blood running like a waterfall. The uncle murders someone and the kids are treated very poorly in the first book. It'...more
Michael
After reading the first three books, I can't help but feel that the series is inappropriately named, which in this case means "the events are due less to misfortune than to maliciousness." However, the ubiquitous Count Olaf aside, the setting nicely evokes the gothic, macabre works of Edward Gorey and Charles Addams, and the language of the narration is quite delicious, which in this case doesn't mean "I licked my ebook clean as if it were a bowl of ice cream," but "I found my inner voice evokin...more
Jenny Gendel
Sep 08, 2010 Jenny Gendel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers
Jen
I read the first book (doesn't seem to be the single volume to list on Goodreads) and liked it. "Snicket" throws all sorts of bad luck at the orphans, but their resilience, love and resourcefulness are very appealing. He obviously loves children, and defines words in a whimsical way throughout the text, which I'm sure parents will appreciate. I particularly loved his little insights into human nature, such as how sometimes when you hate something, just hearing someone else say they hate it too c...more
Olivia
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...more
Kpent
Written for young people, this series includes a wit that grabs young and old alike. As the author, honest Leomony Snicket warns, the tales are not ones of "happily ever after," but rather ones that keep-you-just-in-front-of-the-clutches-of-a-wicked-villain-who-will-find-you-wherever-you-go.

Great for learning new vocabulary with plenty of events that could make for some great discussions—depending on the age and temperament of your children. These are not good bedtime stories for the very young...more
Savannah
Jun 10, 2007 Savannah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 3rd - 6th grade
These are 3 great books that I read in 1 week so you can too!

The Bad Begining: Starts off with Sunny, Klaus & Violet at the beach & Mr. Poe drives in with terrible news... can't share the news. Have to read the book to find out. =)

The Reptile Room: The family has to leave Count Olaf and go to another care takers to prevent him from taking their family fortune.

The Wide Window: The family has to leave uncle Monty's after tragedy comes knocking at their door.

Have any question? Ask me.
Nancy
I have been meaning to read this for some time now. I was able to finish the book between Maryland and Illinois, it is that quick of a read.
The first book sets up the story of the 3 children who are orphaned (right off the bat, in fact!) and must go live with the closest relative, Count Olaf. Count Olaf only concern is how to obtain the orphan's wealth that will be given to them when the oldest comes of age. The first book ends but clearly you must continue on to book 2 for any conclusion.
Karen
Might be more like a 3.5. The plots are really nothing much special, but the quirkiness is great fun--like the fact that Captain Sham's first name is Julio or the recurring, regret-filled warning that this is not a book for people who like happy endings and that things will go terribly for the orphans, or lines like "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats." And yay for Sunny Baudelaire's bitey charm.
Bracken
Aug 05, 2007 Bracken rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults with a good sarcastic humor
I became interested in the series because I enjoyed the movie (which compiles the stories of these first 3 books). I read the first two while in the hospital after my wife had her baby. They read very quickly and, although written for children, are quite witty. Some things in the story and writing style are a bit repetitive, so I wouldn't suggest reading the series straight through. Overall, a good series that I look forward to reading with my children.
Cherry
I read this entire series to my children, we waited for each new book (stood in line at Boarders as soon as we heard it was coming) and absolutely loved them. Some mothers ask me how it is that I was able to develop such a love of reading in each of my children and I have to give credit to all those parenting books that say "read aloud to your children" we loved this series and were a bit sad when it finally ended.
i think the main reason i didn't like this book was the repetitiveness you notice when reading all three back to back. i've heard great things about the series and do think the premise of a children’s book where there ISN'T a happy ending is pretty clever and the books certainly have witty, interesting characters...i would just take a long time between books if i ever decide to read more of the series.
johanna
i really like these books. i haven't finished them all but i hope to. his writing is brilliant. for a youth these books must be great. not only are they good stories but they are good books for young people to increase their vocabulary. his definition of words that a child might not understand is a fun and great learning tool. the characters are wonderful and the books are full of great imagery.
Olivia
These books are awesome.I'm already on the fifth book! Those kids are miserable
  • The Panther Mystery (The Boxcar Children Mysteries #66)
  • The Wolf Tree (The Clockwork Dark #2)
  • Wicked!
  • Charlie and Lola: We Are Extremely Very Good Recyclers
  • Missing Sisters
  • Cuentos macabros
  • An Account of Egypt
  • A is for Angelica
  • Small Eternities (Withern Rise, #2)
  • Dog
  • Illusions and Lies (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #6)
  • Claudia Kishi, Live From WSTO! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #85)
  • The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
  • Blinking with Fists: Poems

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)