Start by marking “House of Fear: An Anthology of Haunted House Stories” as Want to Read:
House of Fear: An Anthology of Haunted House Stories

House of Fear: An Anthology of Haunted House Stories

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The tread on the landing outside the door, when you know you are the only one in the house. The wind whistling through the eves, carrying the voices of the dead. The figure glimpsed briefly through the cracked window of a derelict house. Editor Jonathan Oliver brings horror home with a collection of haunted house stories by some of the finest writers working in the horror ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Solaris (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about House of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Fear

James Everington
House Of Fear from Solaris is billed as an anthology of 'haunted house' stories, but that's not quite true. For one thing there's a haunted windmill, a haunted camper-van, a haunted doll-house... And for another, if 'haunted' means merely inhabited by a ghost then not all these places are haunted (although some most definitely are). If, however, 'haunted' means infected fear, guilt, and secrets then yes, these stories most definitely tell of hauntings...

How do you judge whether an anthology is
Keith Chawgo
House of Fear is a fantastic collection of stories around the premise of haunted house. The stories collected range from great to fantastic without a weak story which in collections, is somewhat of a rarity.

'Objects in Dreams May Be Closer Than You Think' by Lisa Tuttle starts out proceedings as a couple try to find the house of their dreams after their divorce. It is told with great depth and the thread of emotion that is carried through is simply so well written that you are left with this fee
Gef
Ghosts are one of my three faves in genre, so an anthology featuring stories by Joe R. Lansdale, Sarah Pinborough, Tim Lebbon, and a host of others sounded too good tSpooky Reads, I sat down to be enthralled.

Things kick off with a really chilling tale by Lisa Tuttle called "Objects in Dreams may be Closer than they Appear," about a woman who is roped into a road trip with her ex-husband through back roads in search of a home they tried to find when they were married, but never could. It set the
Cate Gardner
Fabulous anthology of haunted places and haunted people. Favourite stories were by Lisa Tuttle, Adam Nevill, Robert Shearman, Sarah Pinborough, and Jonathan Green.
Alex
"Objects in Dreams may be Closer than they Appear" by Lisa Tuttle was a chilling modern take on a hidden place you can't find but the tantalising failure haunts you. This is how you can solidly integrate today's technology with the undocumented supernatural. Layer that with the personal and marital failures of the characters and you've got a great moody piece. The ending is unsurprising, but the well executed mood and themes makes up for it.

"An Injustice" by Christopher Fowler does a stunning jo
Gavin Gates
Short story collections are always worth a look at. Solaris has put together a varied team of writers to contribute a short story each all loosely based around ‘a haunted house’ the obvious that happens here is that some step up to the task better than others, Christopher Fowler writes a stand out piece in this collection called ‘An Injustice’ which takes on the tale of kids out to have fun and things just don’t go according to plan, this does seem to have a bit of a current affairs influence be ...more
Deanne
Hit and miss collection, nothing that really frightens me or has me leaving the light on. I live in a house that is 260 years old, though there's no sign of anyone haunting the back bedroom.
Jeff
I really like short stories. And I really, really like haunted house stories. So you can imagine how I would feel about a book of short stories about haunted houses!!

If I understand correctly (and I frequently don't), all of these stories were written just for this book. They all have the same copyright date as the book, itself. There are nineteen delightfully creepy stories, by nineteen different writers. The only one I had actually ever heard of was Joe R. Lansdale, who wrote the final story
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
This was an interesting reading.
I don't know why but usually I am not a big fan of short stories but I am afraid delving into a mammoth book of 600 pages or multi-books series, even at the same time I want to read several series I've got here. But since the other way I slept in my mother's home and having no books to read I started this one and what and it was a bag of mix feelings.

'Pied-A-Terre' by Stephen Volk is a nice tale about the purchasing of a house. I really was interested in the tale
Matt Cowan
House of Fear is an anthology of 19 haunted houses stories (although some aren’t really houses, i.e. a derelict RV and a greenhouse.) I’ve always loved haunted house stories, so this was an easy buy for me. Editor Jonathan Oliver did an excellent job assembling it. Most of the stories were very strong, with two standouts. My favorites were: “Objects in Dreams may be Closer than they Appear” by Lisa Tuttle, “Driving the Milky Way” by Weston Ochse, “Muse of the Copenhagen” by Nina Allan, “Villanov ...more
Craig Smith
Objects in Dreams may be Closer than they Appear by Lisa Tuttle:

A case of sometimes it's best not to let your curiosity get the better of you, it could have been a bit tighter, but an interesting tale none the less.

Pied-A-Terre by Stephen Volk

I think Stephen did a great job of writing from a female perspective, and it might make you even more weary when next you go house hunting.

In the Absence of Murdock by Terry Lamsley

Terry has a very old fashioned feel to his writing and checking out his boo
Lachinchon
After a dismal experience with a similar anthology, I gave the genre another try with this collection. I was encouraged, as this anthology contains well written spooky stories. Not so spooky as to make one whimper under the covers, but on the right path, and if not terrifying, at least interesting enough to encourage reading. The collection tires a bit in the middle, but is bookended by excellent pieces. Most, if not all, of the authors are British, so occasionally the vernacular is unfamiliar t ...more
Ade Couper
My liking of multi-author short story collections is already a matter of public record, so here's another one - & it's bloody good!

I have read 2 previous collections by Jonathan Oliver (see previous reviews), & this one continues his excellent track record at assembling a selection of very good stories. The theme of this collection is haunted houses, & there are some excellent interpretations of this.

There are no duff stories in this anthology at all. The standout tales for me were
Colleen
These stories are ok. None of them are terrible, but none of them were fantastic either. On the other hand, haunted house tales aren't necessarily my favorite. None of these were really scary for me. Scary stories are the ones you can't read after dark. Or the ones that just somehow sit in the back of your mind, throwing peanuts at your fore brain to make it suspicious. None of these really did that to me, but they were a fairly good read.
Kirsty
A very strong collection, covering many different types and styles of horror writing. As often happens with anthologies, the stories by the more established and recognisable names were weaker, with the really strong work by newer writers.

My favourites were the stories by Lisa Tuttle, Adam LG Nevill (the last line of this story still haunts me), Robert Shearman, Nina Allan, and Paul Meloy.
David Marshall
Although this haunted house/horror anthology is something of a showcase for the authors who write for Solaris and Abaddon Books, the overall standard of the stories is very high with stories by Lisa Tuttle, Terry Lamsley, Weston Ochse, Sarah Pinborough and Joe Lansdale particularly impressive.

Yagiz Erkan
Jonathan Oliver selected a talented bunch of writers who produced great stories. After The End Of The Line, Oliver proves that he knows what he's doing. Brilliant stuff!

... a more detailed review to follow soon.
Sasha Enge
Great short stories and a few I would rather were turned into novels. I enjoyed the wild range of horror as well!!!!
Joan
Fantastic stories from some of the best story tellers in the industry. Well worth a read.
Thomas Smith
Half way through and am having a blast.
Becca Bear
Becca Bear is currently reading it
May 11, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Anitra
Anitra marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Reagan
Reagan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Esteph
Esteph marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Brian Pappas
Brian Pappas marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Mimi Foxmorton
Mimi Foxmorton marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
"The Doll's House" (ending spoiler) 1 1 Nov 11, 2013 07:00AM
  • Best New Horror 21 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #21)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • Borderlands 3
  • Hell Train
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
  • Ghosts and Grisly Things
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Dark Delicacies II (Dark Delicacies, #2)
Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror The End of the Road: An Anthology of Original Fiction World War Cthulhu Fiction Anthology Dangerous Games