Start by marking “Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children #1)

Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,892 Ratings  ·  558 Reviews

BLUE REMEMBERED EARTH is the first volume in a monumental trilogy tracing the Akinya family across more than ten thousand years of future history ... out beyond the solar system, into interstellar space and the dawn of galactic society.

One hundred and fifty years from now, in a world where Africa is the dominant technological and economic power, and where crime, war, di

Kindle Edition, UK Edition, 512 pages
Published January 19th 2012 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Blue Remembered Earth, please sign up.

Donald It is a trilogy, but each is a stand alone story, set in the same universe, with overlapping characters and themes. Rather than 1>2>3, it's more…moreIt is a trilogy, but each is a stand alone story, set in the same universe, with overlapping characters and themes. Rather than 1>2>3, it's more 1>4>7 if that makes sense?(less)

David Sven
Jun 18, 2014 David Sven rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is Reynolds take on The Lion King. Or so was my initial impression after listening to the Audible sample where the narration is accompanied by sweet African background music that had me humming some rendition of “In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...”

No no no no noooo! What is happening! This is not gothic space opera. This doesn't even have John Lee as narrator. What is the universe coming to!? Suffice to say, I did not spend a credit on the audio version. It st
Mark
Feb 18, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much fuss in the SF publishing world has been made about the fact that in 2009 Alastair was given a large sum of money, allegedly 1 million, with his British publishers for ten books to be published over the next ten years. Though the steam-punky Terminal World was published in 2010, it seems that much of this advance was connected to this series, a hard SF tale of the emergence of Africa in the 22nd century as a superpower group of nations and Earth’s transcendence to the stars.

My initial thoug
Jason
Mar 24, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
5 stars

I have been a huge fan of Alastair Reynolds for a long time thanks to his incredible Revelation Space series. Blue Remembered Earth is a very different type of novel from the series mentioned. This is a science fiction light novel told only the way that Alastair Reynolds can do it. This is an accessible starting point to those new to the masterful author. Blue Remembered Earth is tailored for a much larger audience as the science fiction is merely another character in the story, and not t
Claudia
Jul 21, 2016 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this one. Used to the immense depicted universe in Revelation Space series, this one felt too real and airtight. And the focus is changed from technological wonders, enhanced humans and a vastness almost incomprehensible to a mystery story, action driven and family dispute. It has its wonders (it wouldn’t be AR’s work otherwise) but they’re nowhere near the ones from the other novels.

The writing is as beautiful as in all the others I have read so far but, given the sm
Chris
Feb 02, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imaginative at times, but mostly plays out like a game of cat and mouse that eventually has no bearing whatsoever on the overarching plot of the story.

There are many cool ideas buried in here (A planet found bearing signs of artificial life, for example!), but 98% of the story revolves around the politics of a few family members. I didn't exactly find this riveting, or even particularly entertaining.

I don't want to give too much away, but I will say that Alastair Reynolds has managed to produce
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Although this took a while to get going for me, Blue Remembered Earth was a very good book with some hard science. I didn't quite get all the physics, but it was still an interesting and enjoyable read.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Paul
Dec 11, 2012 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

A potboiler with a humanity-spreads-its-wings theme, filled with hard sic-fi babble about nanotech and human/machine interfacing. The future societies and governments Reynolds describes are quite creepy, built around pervasive electronic surveillance of the population backed up by psycho-mechanical limits on individual human behavior: solar system-wide communitarianism gone mad. There is one small surveillance-free zone on the dark side of the Moon, and, frankly, I found
Liviu
as I plan to have the full FBC rv in a day, just a few comments so far

I liked it quite a lot though I liked In the Mouth of Whale more as i thought the Reynolds novel a bit too long for its content, while the characters do not come as distinguished as they could, especially Geoffrey and Sunday.

There is a lot of great stuff though - the world building top notch, Africa as a major power comes off naturally and pitch perfect, the Aquatics, the Moon, the Martians, the Mech, the AI phobia of the soci
Tom Merritt
Mar 13, 2012 Tom Merritt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a thoroughly enjoyable story. From the respect of science, through the centering on Africa and China to the positing of how a world would be shaped by a loss of privacy and the experience of surviving catastrophe, I find very little unpleasant in Blue Remembered Earth. In fact at the moment I can think of nothing. It is. Mystery and adventure story with robots spaceships, intrigue and murder. And while you may guess certain points along the way it will surprise you often. Read it.
Rushi
Nov 11, 2012 Rushi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2012
"Blue Remembered Earth" is the first of a new series, Poseidon's Children, by Alastair Reynolds. Unlike his previous work in the Revelation Space series, this book is set in the Solar System. The main events of the book happen in the mid 22nd century as imagined by Mr. Reynolds. The book is also a departure in style from his previous work. It is lighter and more optimistic than any of the books in the Revelation Space series. The work is more character driven and has fewer information dense "har ...more
Lars J. Nilsson
I have to date read all of Alistair Reynolds books (at least I think I have, he is after all rather prolific). So. I'm a fan.

I've always seen him as slightly uneven though, and although a brilliant story-teller, not always the perfect craftsman, and his characterization leaves at times things to which for.

(Usual self-repeat: I won't cover the story in this review, plenty of others do).

So let's start with the major let down: characterization. The main character (Geoffrey) starts out a whining
Dylan
Dec 05, 2012 Dylan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly i believe Reynolds to be one of the greatest sci-fi writers of the last decade. His twin astrophysicists countryman; Peter Hamilton -the other. And so it came to a shock with how bored I was with Blue Remembered Earth. The beautiful imagination that shaped his other classics seems gone as Reynolds has the reader follow his boring character through a fated life in the near future where Africa is an interstellar powerhouse. Gone too is the hard science that made Reynolds universe so beaut ...more
Tim Hicks
Apr 17, 2013 Tim Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
There are better five-star books, but that didn't stop me. It's large, jammed with ideas, and tells an engaging story. Most of all, I enjoyed reading it.

It would be unfortunate to expect this to be like other Reynolds works. It's more like a book from one of the established stars of 30 years ago. I've read a lot of those, and maybe that's why I liked this.

What Reynolds adds is a wonderful casualness about all the whizbang technology, and an offsetting realism in areas where there has NOT been
Robert
Nov 12, 2013 Robert added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
First of a projected trilogy, with the second available in hardback at the time of writing.

THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

Tudor Ciocarlie
A quieter novel than Reynolds previous books but a very good read. Every journey that the 2 main characters take has a very real, natural texture and feels perfectly possible.
Dara
It took me a really long time to slog through this book. There's a lot of good ideas here buried under boring, reactive characters and an annoying scavenger hunt of a plot.

Blue Remembered Earth takes place 100 or so years in the future. Africa has become a leader in technology and space exploration. I appreciate a different view on the future but Alastair Reynolds somehow made solar system travel, genetic enhancements, and space ships boring. This book is soporific. If you can't sleep, read this
Ric
Mar 13, 2013 Ric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Read my share of technical papers, as part of the day job. Concise, spare expositions that have data, assumptions, analysis and conclusions, all within the 7 page length limit. And I'll admit, sometimes my mind has wandered, placing these in stories fleshed with human participants and human emotions. One way to find more meaning in the cool things that science makes.

I'm back in that place, listening to the audiobook version of Blue Remembered Earth. Lots of cool stuff --- golem personalities, ne

Chris
Jul 02, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with the good:

1. Reynolds follows his usual, measured approach to technological advancement to some interesting ends.
2. There are a dearth of books that start with humanity puttering around the solar system that don't have people warping or worm-holing across the galaxy by chapter 4.
3. Giving the nature of the trilogy the next book may be much better.

Now the bad:

I found the book to just be meh with lots of components that seem poorly planned or undeveloped. The characters are more cl
Shane Ross
Sep 09, 2013 Shane Ross rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-sci-fi
Engaging mystery, satisfying payoff, terrific worldbuilding- especially enjoyed the different factions: aquatic, moon, terran, evolvarium. But that couldn't outweigh my dislike for the two main characters. Sunday was self absorbed, Geoffrey was a wimp. Character development aside, what really irritated the shit out of me was how *reactive* they were. They accepted financial and operational help from various parties knowing full well there were strings attached the aid but trotted off with nary a ...more
Geoff
Jan 24, 2016 Geoff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
When, about halfway through this book, I realized its similarities to 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson, I hoped this would be better. It wasn't but at least I finished this book. Its clear that I'm not a fan of the niche science fiction sub-genre of "the grandchild following the dead grandmother's clues around the solar system, while taking in the technological wonders humans have created".
Rob
Jan 01, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...Overall I quite liked this first book in the Poseidon's Children series. Despite being a bit too well padded, Blue Remembered Earth is one of Reynolds' better novels. I very much appreciate the way he focuses on Earth a bit more in this novel, as a starting point for what undoubtedly will develop into a deep space adventure later on in the series. The plot itself may be a bit weak but in other respects the novel has a lot to offer to the reader. It's probably a book that requires a bit of pat ...more
JBradford
Aug 23, 2012 JBradford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t hardly ever give 5 stars to a work of fiction, but I’ve done it at least three times this year and here’s another. I selected this book because I had a free book coming to me and I got sold on the write-up describing this as the first in a new series that would span a thousand years or so of a family’s history; I had just finished the Earth’s Children series, and I am a very strong fan of David Webber’s Safehold series, so this seemed a natural step.

This novel spans more than a lifetime
Ranting Dragon
Oct 16, 2012 Ranting Dragon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephan

Blue Remembered Earth, Alastair Reynolds’ latest novel, is everything its mesmerizing title and equally captivating cover promises: a utopian science fiction novel showcasing an optimistic daydream of our future one hundred and fifty years from now, where our grandchildren have battled global warming head on and turned the world into a better place for all.

Exorbitant daydreaming
I say daydream because, ultimately, that is what Blue Remembered Earth is: Reyn
SciFi Kindle
Apr 24, 2013 SciFi Kindle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great piece of Hard SF that keeps 'inside the lines' of the usual Space Opera tech tropes: no FTL or post-scarcity, transhuman society here, just perfectly plausible science your high school Physics teacher would approve. The magic comes in the human element of a family unraveling a long-held secret from the recently deceased family matriarch. Nowhere are our allies closer or enemies as ruthless as in our own families, and Reynolds' protagonists find themselves squaring off with their own cous ...more
Sam
Well this was an epic and a half. It did take me a little while to get into it, especially with all the new and inventive advances throughout the story (literally taking people to the moon and beyond!) but once I did (after around 200 pages) I was hooked. The story takes one turn after another, driven by Eunice, who I absolutely loved depsite the fact she was technically dead, as she sends her family on a quest of her own design. I also liked how this was reflected in the elephant herd that Geof ...more
Michele
Oh golly. It is just so simple to make me happy:

1. human/elephant direct brain/brain connection
2. simulated people derived from all their life information that are almost as real as the actual person
3. ability to inhabit an android on another planet so you can be there even though you're not there
4. ability to change into a whale and live as a whale and speak to humans, if you choose
5. aliens, alien technology, and an alien world

and so much more.

And there was a nice little genre-jumping mystery
Remittance Girl
I'm just at the beginning of this book, but the language is beautiful. It makes me so angry how unrecognized many sci-fi writers are as wonderful, literary writers.

The setting, the language, the big, big wide view. It's a pleasure to sink into it.
Jules
Apr 29, 2016 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reynolds
If you are used to the vastness of the Revelation Space novels you might feel that this book is slow and maybe a bit claustrophobic but if you have read any of the author’s other novels you’ll find out that he took from each an element he incorporated in Blue Remembered Earth. The lack of a strong antagonist and dramatic events is balanced by adventure and mystery. The characters are engaging too, not overly complex to relate to, but also not 2-dimensional. Despite being the first in a series, i ...more
John Boettcher
Dec 08, 2015 John Boettcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect next step in the writings of Alastair Reynolds. Blue Remembered Earth has everything in this book that you have come to expect from Reynolds. It has intrigue, mystery, action, science, a far reaching plot, brilliant characters, just a bit too much detail, and of course, a malevolent force in the universe. This time, alot closer to home than in the Revelation Space series.

If you haven't had the chance to read any of Reynolds works, I would absolutely start with "House of Suns
Katherine
Mar 19, 2016 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sf, read-2015
Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds is a really impressive science fiction novel. I’ve previously reviewed a couple of other books by Alastair Reynolds this year, earlier I read Revelation Space and Pushing Ice, both of which I really enjoyed. I think for me Reynolds has carved out a space in my mind as a really thought-provoking author whose books are full of fascinating ideas and compelling characters. Well this book was no different, and I thought it was an excellent read.

The book is
New Universe? 4 50 Aug 21, 2012 02:11AM
  • In the Mouth of the Whale (The Quiet War, #3)
  • Great North Road
  • The Fractal Prince (Jean le Flambeur, #2)
  • Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse #2)
  • Proxima (Proxima #1)
  • Shadow of the Scorpion (Polity Universe #2)
  • Jack Glass
  • Existence
  • The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture, #10)
  • The Night Sessions
  • The Fourth Wall (Dagmar, #3)
  • The Clockwork Rocket (Orthogonal Trilogy #1)
  • The Thousand Emperors
Alastair Reynolds, former scientist and now full-time writer. Most of what he writes is science fiction, with a strong concern for scientific verisimilitude (although he is prepared to break the rules for the sake of a good story). He has lived in England, Scotland and the Netherlands where he worked as an astrophysicist for the European Space Agency until 2004, but now makes his home back in his ...more
More about Alastair Reynolds...

Poseidon's Children (3 books)
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children #2)
  • Poseidon's Wake (Poseidon's Children, #3)

“I've seen marvelous things, Sunday. I've looked back from the edge of the system and seen this planet, this Earth, reduced to a tiny dot of pale blue. I know what that feels like. To think that dot is where we came from, where we evolved out of the chaos and the dirt. And I know what it feels like to imagine going further. To hold that incredible, dangerous thought in my mind, if only for an instant. To think: what if I don't go home? What if I just keep traveling? Watching that pale-blue dot fall ever further away, until the darkness swallowed it and there was no turning back. Until Earth was just a blue memory.” 17 likes
“How did you . . . pass the time?’ Sunday asked. ‘You couldn’t just ching out of it, could you?’

‘We had a different form of chinging,’ Eunice said. ‘An earlier type of virtual-reality technology, much more robust and completely unaffected by time lag. You may have heard of it. We called it “reading”.”
12 likes