Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!

Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Hold on to your hats, cause there’s a new cowgirl in town whose pistols are packed with positive attitude!

Eight-year-old Annie McRae is irresistible—with her toothless grin, turquoise-blue cowboy boots, and her upbeat twist on life, she spends most days surrounded by cheers of “Hip, hip, hooray for Annie McRae!” from Mom, Dad, Mr. Garcia, and Grandma C.

But what happens whe...more
Published August 3rd 2001 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!

Leila
Apr 28, 2011 Leila rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Heidi T.
Shelves: childrens
Really cute kids' book by popular LDS speaker. My husband took an Elementary reading class from him at BYU, and Brad Wilcox gave us this book and its sequel, "There's Always a Way, Annie McRae!" and signed them to our daughter. The books are both very upbeat and bursting with description. We love them!
Jerianna
Read LIVE by the author himself, who is one of my favorites!
Catherine
This is a cute book that is a fun read aloud.
Dona
This was recommended to me today at work by one of my lovely co-workers
(Thanks Tara). How have I missed this one? It was even a Beehive award nominee. So cute and so many very great messages in it! Message 1: Positive interaction with parents and others is hugely important in a child's life. Message 2: Children can become discouraged when ignored. Message 3: Children can and should learn to feed their own souls. Message 4: Routines are important and pivotal. Nice job Brad Wilcox for the story an...more
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: ?

Elementary: E WIL

Meet Annie McRae, the happiest cowgirl in the west. She's got people who care about her and cheer her on, until one day, out of the ordinary, nobody can cheer her on. What will she learn about herself then? Great theme to this story!
Heidi
Preparing for my "Being Happy" Book Time, I didn't pay attention to this book except for the title and cute picture of the girl on the front. So when I began to open the book, I was completely surprised to see it was by Brad Wilcox!!! How fun and exciting. A cute book. A lesson at the end that you can make yourself happy. I love the horse Chestnut! Perfect for a shorter, fast-paced book to use.
Erica
Greta
The author came to my kids' school and did a whole day author's workshop. He is a fantastic teacher and he really encouraged my kids and the kids I worked with at the after school writer's group to develop their skills and love for writing. This is a fun book.
Madeline
This simple picture book shows children that even when you are not feeling support from your family, teachers, and peers you can still succeed and be happy if you decide to be. We are our own worst enemies, but our best cheerleader too! Very inspiring.
Jenny
It's a cute book, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The idea of learning to cheer for oneself is useful and I loved her cute cowgirl attire, but it was just so darn depressing that everyone stopped cheering on the same day!
Graceann Jacobson
Annie is used to being cheered for and one day when there is no one to cheer for her she realizes that she needs to cheer for herself. And find ways to be happy with he accomplishments even if no one tells her how wonderful she is.
Amy Carr
Really liked parts of the story and not so crazy about other parts! Cute illustrations...and it was a fun read aloud with my daughter! Interesting message about the importance of children developing their own self-worth and confidence!
Meadow
I don't like the way the parents are portrayed, but Hazel loved the book. And Annie McRae did learn to be responsible for her own happiness, which is a good lesson to learn. Especially if you have less than adequate parents.
Britney
I love this book because it really teaches children that happiness doesn't depend on others. It's the attitude you have and it's your choice whether you want to be happy. Also to make the best of every situation.
Wendee
I'm a little biased because my Dad wrote this book but I love the story and the pictures! It has been a great help to a lot of teachers because of the final page that talks about the writing process.
Sarahjeanne
Picture Book: Cute story about the importance of recognizing our own accomplishments and cheering ourselves on in order to choose to be happy.
Angela N
What a cute book! This book of positive attitude is great for all ages (well, except infants) and probably should be read by every adult. :)
Meghann
Great story that teaches that we are the ones that decide how we are going to feel by the way we react to the situations around us.
Kristy Rasmussen
I love how this teaches children to be proud of themselves, they don't always have to have people tell them, they already know!
Susan
This is a cute book by Brad Wilcox that teaches kids the importance of self motivation. It's fun to read too!
Karen
Apr 17, 2010 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A cute story and fun illustrations. Lesson about growing up and learning not to lean on other people for self-worth.
Kaylie Faucette
This is a cute book about the importance of believing in yourself and self-encouragement. Fun to read aloud!
Danagruer
I love this book, and so do my kids! What a great message. I want to be Brad Wilcox when I grow up!
Kristen
I expected much more from Brad Wilcox. I get the moral of the story, but not the story itself.
Amanda Goodman
Very cute illustrations, and good moral message about internal motivation. Picture book
LJ
This book really shows how one's attitude is not dependent on any other person or event.
Edie
This is an awesome children's book dealing with self-motivation, my kids just loved it!
Elaine
Picture Book
My teacher wrote this book. The book has a great message.
Marisa
Very cute story teaching children to recognize the good in themselves.
Jamie
Loved it! So cute & my kids loved it too!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Continuous Atonement The Continuous Conversion: God Isn't Just Proving Us, He's Improving Us Growing Up: Gospel Answers About Maturation and Sex The 7-Day Christian: How Living Your Beliefs Every Day Can Change the World Raising Ourselves to the Bar: Practical Advice and Encouragement for the Next Generation of Missionaries and Their Parents