Start by marking “Detective Galáctico” as Want to Read:
Detective Galáctico

Detective Galáctico (Gaean Reach)

Miro Hetzel is an effectuator: a private investigator and gentleman of the Gaean Reach. This book contains two stories of his adventures.

"The Dogtown Tourist Agency" - The Istagam Corporation has found an inexpensive means of manufacturing technical goods which greatly undercuts its competition. Hetzel, hired by that competition, must trace down the mysterious Istagam and
Mass Market Paperback, 179 pages
Published 1984 by Livros do Brasil (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Detective Galáctico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detective Galáctico

Aug 07, 2011 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF/Mystery fans

The first story "The Dogtown Tourist Agency" was a good weird alien cultures type Vance story but as a mystery in SF setting of his it was somewhat flawed. There was a character that Miro Hetzel was chasing which was the mystery of the story but it was not very intersting. I liked it only as an amusing story with very alien cultures and 1 of 3 alien cultures was really creepy, fun to read about.

The second sto
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, 1paper
A fun, quick read. I found out that an 'effectuator' is sort of a private detective that resolves situations. The book is two novellas set in the far future. Pulp fiction & very enjoyable. Plenty of twists & turns to the stories with very interesting backdrops, although I found myself gritting my teeth on a couple of gaffs. Still, it was well written overall.
Oct 10, 2009 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't realized how many Vance books take place in the Gaean Reach.

Very good, certainly, but it falls into such a pattern that given the sum total of Vance's work, it actually doesn't stand out much. There is the slightly pompous but very clever protagonist, an ensemble of off-kilter supporting characters, a plot line resolved through cleverness, and one or more delightfully wacky cultures.

Of the two stories in the volume, "Freitzke's Turn" is more memorable simply because of the devilish anta
Jul 27, 2015 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2012-rev

Miro Hetzel is an effectuator - in effect, a private investigator. This book contains two of his cases.

Despite the unusual-for-Vance title "Dogtown Tourist Agency", the story is straightforward Vance, with effectuatory Miro Hetzel traveling to the planet Maz to track down a mysterious shipping company. Maz contains the usual mix of weird races and aloof characters, though the fun language and footnotes are toned down a bit from the Vance usual. It's a fun if not outstanding story.

Jeffrey Daniels
Jun 05, 2016 Jeffrey Daniels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read a Jack Vance book I instantly feel eager to take up my own writing again...and instantly feel inferior in doing so.

Even the lightest of his works, such as this collection of two isolated tales of protagonist Miro Hetzel, Galactic Effectuator, are classic Vance in that there is a surfeit of description and details. In many cases, I have as much fun reading his footnotes and establishing narrative as the story itself.

This easy, quick read has the typical Vance "hero": capable, ag
Jack Vance has as usual a wondrous turn of phrase, economical and elliptical, the two stories here are standard sleuthing types of no special note. I feel a little bad about saying this, but facts must be faced and besides he has written many other books of a superior sort.
Rog Harrison
I own this book but probably had not read it for at least twenty years. I certainly did not remember any of it! It's by no means one of Jack Vance's best but I do enjoy his writing style.
Bevan Audstone
Apr 30, 2009 Bevan Audstone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
re-read for the fifth time?
Luís Baixinho
Oct 09, 2016 Luís Baixinho rated it liked it
Livro com descrições de culturas bem interessantes e com dois mistérios (é composto por duas novelas) de certa forma divertidos. No fundo um livro de FC agradável de ler.
Dec 12, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a whodunnit but still a good read. I find that a lot of Jack's later works tend to be more of the same.
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
José Martins
José Martins marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Sailor marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
William Maynard
William Maynard rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Scifimoth rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Curtis Tomlin
Curtis Tomlin rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Kristoffer rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Stephen Kolomyjec
Stephen Kolomyjec rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
David Tate
David Tate rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Johan Sonesson
Johan Sonesson rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Jerry M
Jerry M marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Daniel LaGattuta
Daniel LaGattuta rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Peter Tillman
Peter Tillman rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Larry Dunlap
Larry Dunlap rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Helder marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Dan Stoner
Dan Stoner rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
R.C. added it
Jun 23, 2016
Leigh McRae
Leigh McRae marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
  • The Spiral Labyrinth: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn (#2)
  • Sunfall
  • The Deceivers
  • How to Survive in Your Native Land
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Virgin Planet
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950 to grea
More about Jack Vance...

Gaean Reach (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Gray Prince
  • Maske: Thaery
  • Night Lamp
  • Araminta Station (Cadwal Chronicles, #1)
  • Ecce and Old Earth (Cadwal Chronicles, #2)
  • Throy (Cadwal Chronicles, #3)
  • The Demon Princes