Start by marking “Judge Sn Goes Golfing” as Want to Read:
Judge Sn Goes Golfing

Judge Sn Goes Golfing (The Android's Dream Short Story)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  602 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
John Scalzi visits the universe of his bestselling novel The Android's Dream for this exclusive short story, featuring fan favorite character Judge Nugan Bufan Sn -- a brilliant alien jurist whose misanthropy and lack of social graces is matched only by his futile, unrequited for the game of golf. When he hits the links at the abysmal Dulles Woods golf course, the unexpect ...more
Published (first published December 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Judge Sn Goes Golfing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judge Sn Goes Golfing

Dan Schwent
Judge Sn, alien jurist posted on Earth, is banned from every golf course around Washington DC except the worst one ever constructed, Dulles Woods. He's having a life-changing golf game when the shooting starts...

I received this novella I've never heard of as part of the 2012 Subterranean Press grab bag. It was good for a chuckle.

With art by Gahan Wilson, Judge Sn Goes Golfing is an odd little book. The judge recounts his life, mostly of how he's been banned from most golf courses east of the Mis
Mayank Agarwal
Wanted to read more from the world of "Android Dreams" but this story was just for fun without any plot, sad part it tried too hard to be funny.
L (Sniffly Kitty)
Amusing little short story. Although it's not quite long enough to develop everything to be loveable, it's still a fun read. I love having this collectible from Scalzi though.
Gregg Wingo
Jan 11, 2015 Gregg Wingo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess I have the Scalzi bug. His humor is infectious, his homages to Philip K. Dick delight me, and he tells a damn fine story. And as far as I can tell he deserves every accolade he has received from the SF community. He is not reverent or hard SF, he is not part of the new literary trend invading science fiction, and he is not the pondering philosopher in disguise that Dick brought to the genre but like PKD he tells a yarn and has fun with it.

This story starts with Dickian play an
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With illustrations by Gahan Wilson. HA!
Karen
Feb 19, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read 2/11/15
Abigail
I listened to this as an audio book today and the only reaction / review I can give is: WTF?!

Although I did enjoy the Monty Python reference of "It's just a flesh wound." But seriously, WTF was that?
Christopher
I think everyone who has ever struggled to find the perfect game of golf will completely relate to this story.
Lukas Lovas
Short and fun, worth a laugh or two, but it wasn't really anything special...as short stories go, not bad :)
Adrian
Jul 11, 2016 Adrian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, sci-fi, humor
My rating: 3.5 stars
Audiobook narrator John Scalzi rating: 3.5 stars

This was a fun and short story from John Scalzi and read by him too. It was a little slow at first but I liked where the story was going and liked how it ended up. It would be fun to make this into an animated short film. John Scalzi’s narration was ok as well – not too bad.
Cale
Feb 05, 2013 Cale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very silly short story about the transformative power of golf. Even for aliens. The climax is absurd to the extreme, but a very enjoyable quick read. The only knock against it was there wasn't enough Gahan Wilson artwork to the story - seeing his name as the illustrator was a nice bonus that unfortunately didn't pan out overall considering how limited the illustrations were.
Ryan Nims
Aug 26, 2014 Ryan Nims rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the character of Judge Sn in his brief appearance in The Android's Dream, so it was a no-brainer for me to pick up this little short story about the grumpy alien judge. It's a quick read, and a fun little romp in the fairway!
Jon
May 15, 2010 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious & a 20 minute read. The only thing "wrong" with the short story is that I had higher expectations for the Gahan Wilson illustrations. This could be a humorous surprise for a golf lover, but, as I understand it, there were only 1500 copies printed. It is available on Amazon, but I wonder how long they'll last....
Brad
Apr 14, 2013 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humor, mindfuq
Very funny short. I am fully reminded of the best of Douglas Adams, mixed with the best of our very jaded sensibilities. I really have to read The Android's Dream now.
Nicholas
Mar 25, 2012 Nicholas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle
A Scalzi short that Scalzi fans, especially those who liked The Androids Dream will enjoy.

I liked it, but it did read like a bit of writing exercise.
Tristan
Sep 07, 2012 Tristan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A nice, amusing, short story.
Not enough substance to quite get four stars, but still a good read, and one I may read again if I want a quick laugh.
Jeremy Preacher
I am becoming increasingly addicted to Subterranean Press's habit of publishing fascinating shorts from my favorite authors.
Randy
Jan 02, 2010 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
humorous story set in the universe of The Android's Dream. Great illustrations throughout as well as cover art by Gahan Wilson.
Nicki
Dec 14, 2012 Nicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VERY funny, in a black humor sort of way. Reminded me of Grosse Pointe Blank for some obvious reasons.
Angie
Feb 10, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun SF story, especially for a golfer, but the ending was a bit disappointing.
Shawn
Sep 26, 2010 Shawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, 32 page short story set in the "Android's Dream" universe.
Rob Hermanowski
Amusing short story by the prolific John Scalzi.
Jesi
Jun 10, 2012 Jesi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adorable short story.
Chris
Mar 10, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
Subterranean Press One of 1500
not one of his best.
Dustin
This one was weird.
Lorenzo Dunn
Lorenzo Dunn is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2016
Corey Gaskill
Corey Gaskill rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Nigel Baker
Nigel Baker rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
  • Clash of the Geeks
  • Hostile Takeover (How to Succeed in Evil)
  • Atomic Robo Volume 6: The Ghost of Station X (Atomic Robo, #6)
  • When We Were Heroes
  • Echelon
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • Investments (Dread Empire's Fall, #3.5)
  • Insight: Reflections on the Gifts of Being an Introvert
  • Bless Your Mechanical Heart
  • Space Raptor Butt Invasion
  • The Walk Up Nameless Ridge
  • Overtime (Laundry Files, #3.5)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • All My Sins Remembered
  • Red Limit Freeway (Skyway, #2)
  • Invincible, Vol. 12: Still Standing
  • All Seated on the Ground
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)
More about John Scalzi...

The Android's Dream (2 books)
  • The Android's Dream