Start by marking “Captivity: 118 Days in Iraq and the Struggle for a World Without War” as Want to Read:
Captivity: 118 Days in Iraq and the Struggle for a World Without War

Captivity: 118 Days in Iraq and the Struggle for a World Without War

The powerful account of the remarkable peace activist kidnapped while leading a peace delegation and held for ransom by Iraqi insurgents until his paradoxical release by a crack unit of special forces commandos.

In November 2005, James Loney and three other men — Canadian Harmeet Singh Sooden, British citizen Norman Kember and American Tom Fox — were taken hostage at gunpoi
Published April 24th 2012 by Vintage Canada (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Captivity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captivity

Neil Mudde
Oct 19, 2011 Neil Mudde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading James Loney's book "Captivity" (Alfred A. Knopf Canada) book, the final chapters of his release from captivity brought tears to my eyes, I wept with joy as he was discovered living in some god forsaken grimy house in Baghdad for 118 days, I could not wait for it to be over, and off course I knew the story as it unfolded live, but I had never realized the day by day experience of James being held hostage, after being kidnapped by a group called "Swords of Righteousnes ...more
Adam Dunn
Aug 16, 2013 Adam Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
An interesting, well-rounded story of life in captivity in Iraq.
I liked the format of the book, the kidnapping happens very early on throwing you right into the action and the 118 day countdown begins. I appreciated the numbering of the days, so I knew when the release was coming, it made it easier to read the book knowing the end. I think it may have been too over-whelming going in blind.
I identified a lot with Loney, he was always examining both sides of things. The kidnappers were kidnapped a
Rene
Jul 13, 2011 Rene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a real life horror story of freedom stolen by terrorists, murder of life sharing friends and atrocities to persons of peace who sole mission was to make those bent on destruction of humanity realize they were being watched. Christian Peacekeepers James Loney and others serve the castes in society with no heroes. They are hostages taken.
The perspective of the world overlaid on that of a person hidden with no rights, no news, no glimpse of the outside for 100 plus days.
The online videos of
Kokeshi
Oct 28, 2011 Kokeshi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, iraq
An amazing record of a harrowing experience. I would like to give this book 4.5/5 stars. It could, at times, become boring. However, this is a great story that will make you thankful for your freedom. Personally, I struggled with the authour's decision to not fight back or against his kidnappers. Now I keep thinking of the old saying, "do not judge a person until you have walked a mile in their moccasins." That said, they did stay true to their ideology of Christian peacemaking.
Margarita
Nov 26, 2011 Margarita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this read. James Loney (Canadian) shares his story of what it was like to be held captive for 118 days in Iraq, along with three other delegation members of the Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT). His story is powerful - He is incredibly self aware, human, insightful and soulful. It is also a very interesting read about two opposing ideological perspectives - violent vs non-violent intervention in conflict zones. I am humbled reading his book.
Scott Harris
Nov 02, 2011 Scott Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loney and his Christian Peacemaking Team colleagues experiences as hostages in Iraq is poignant and profound. This account details not only their personal fears and frustratons, but even the mundane of their experience. The tension in their relationship with each other, their hostage takers and the society to which they returned is palpable. The death of their colleague Tom haunts the account, with the reader waiting for the sad but inevitable outcome. Well worth the read.
Farzana Doctor
Jul 04, 2011 Farzana Doctor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read "Captivity" by James Loney. It's a memoir that captures the big-picture, and the tiny details, of his kidnapping in Iraq. It's both heartbreaking, amazingly uplifting, and got me thinking about oppression, non-violence and forgiveness.
Meghan Harder
Meghan Harder rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Adriana Tari
Adriana Tari rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Linor
Linor rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2014
Shawn Connell
Shawn Connell rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
Martha
Martha rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2012
Nadine Hiemstra
Nadine Hiemstra rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Gene
Gene rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Tinika
Tinika rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Ryan Dueck
Ryan Dueck rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Kathy Vautour
Kathy Vautour rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2011
Selena
Selena rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2011
Mo
Mo rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Mariko
Mariko rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Kenn Chaplin
Kenn Chaplin rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
A very touching and interesting read. A very scary scenario, one I'm sure I could never do.
Kal Cobalt
Kal Cobalt rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Jrpeace
Jrpeace rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2011
Joe Vandehei
Joe Vandehei rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Carla Kilgore
Carla Kilgore rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016