Captivity: 118 Days in Iraq and the Struggle for a World Without War

Captivity: 118 Days in Iraq and the Struggle for a World Without War

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The powerful account of the remarkable peace activist kidnapped while leading a peace delegation and held for ransom by Iraqi insurgents until his paradoxical release by a crack unit of special forces commandos.

In November 2005, James Loney and three other men — Canadian Harmeet Singh Sooden, British citizen Norman Kember and American Tom Fox— were taken hostage at gunpoin...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Vintage Canada (first published January 1st 2011)

Neil Mudde
I have just finished reading James Loney's book "Captivity" (Alfred A. Knopf Canada) book, the final chapters of his release from captivity brought tears to my eyes, I wept with joy as he was discovered living in some god forsaken grimy house in Baghdad for 118 days, I could not wait for it to be over, and off course I knew the story as it unfolded live, but I had never realized the day by day experience of James being held hostage, after being kidnapped by a group called "Swords of Righteousnes...more
Adam Dunn
An interesting, well-rounded story of life in captivity in Iraq.
I liked the format of the book, the kidnapping happens very early on throwing you right into the action and the 118 day countdown begins. I appreciated the numbering of the days, so I knew when the release was coming, it made it easier to read the book knowing the end. I think it may have been too over-whelming going in blind.
I identified a lot with Loney, he was always examining both sides of things. The kidnappers were kidnapped a...more
Rene
This is a real life horror story of freedom stolen by terrorists, murder of life sharing friends and atrocities to persons of peace who sole mission was to make those bent on destruction of humanity realize they were being watched. Christian Peacekeepers James Loney and others serve the castes in society with no heroes. They are hostages taken.
The perspective of the world overlaid on that of a person hidden with no rights, no news, no glimpse of the outside for 100 plus days.
The online videos of...more
Kokeshi
An amazing record of a harrowing experience. I would like to give this book 4.5/5 stars. It could, at times, become boring. However, this is a great story that will make you thankful for your freedom. Personally, I struggled with the authour's decision to not fight back or against his kidnappers. Now I keep thinking of the old saying, "do not judge a person until you have walked a mile in their moccasins." That said, they did stay true to their ideology of Christian peacemaking.
Scott Harris
Loney and his Christian Peacemaking Team colleagues experiences as hostages in Iraq is poignant and profound. This account details not only their personal fears and frustratons, but even the mundane of their experience. The tension in their relationship with each other, their hostage takers and the society to which they returned is palpable. The death of their colleague Tom haunts the account, with the reader waiting for the sad but inevitable outcome. Well worth the read.
Margarita
I highly recommend this read. James Loney (Canadian) shares his story of what it was like to be held captive for 118 days in Iraq, along with three other delegation members of the Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT). His story is powerful - He is incredibly self aware, human, insightful and soulful. It is also a very interesting read about two opposing ideological perspectives - violent vs non-violent intervention in conflict zones. I am humbled reading his book.
Farzana Doctor
Just read "Captivity" by James Loney. It's a memoir that captures the big-picture, and the tiny details, of his kidnapping in Iraq. It's both heartbreaking, amazingly uplifting, and got me thinking about oppression, non-violence and forgiveness.
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
A very touching and interesting read. A very scary scenario, one I'm sure I could never do.
Elise
I personally know James Loney so this book was so extremely powerful to read. Incredible
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
taghrid
taghrid marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Nedu
Nedu marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Peter O'connell
Peter O'connell is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2012
Prakriti
Prakriti marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Amy Mcdangerfield
Amy Mcdangerfield marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Mariko
Mariko marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012