Start by marking “Revenge of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #3)” as Want to Read:
Revenge of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #3)

Revenge of the Spellmans (The Spellmans #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  13,245 ratings  ·  858 reviews
Private investigator Isabel Spellman is back on the case and back on the couch - in court-ordered therapy after getting a little too close to her previous subject.

As the book opens, Izzy is on hiatus from Spellman Inc. But when her boss, Milo, cuts her bartending hours and introduces her to a "friend" looking for a private eye, Izzy reluctantly finds herself with a new cli
Audiobook, Audible download (Unabridged)
Published 2009 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of the Spellmans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge of the Spellmans

Dan Schwent
Izzy Spellman is looking to get back into the detective game when a man hires her to see what his wife is up to. Meanwhile, what is with her brother David? Who is blackmailing Izzy? Why is her car never where she left it? And did Rae really cheat on the PSATs? All these questions and more will be answered in Revenge of the Spellmans!

Revenge of the Spellmans is the third book in the Spellman series and Lisa Lutz shows no signs of slowing down. Not only that, she's not afraid to shake things up. A
Carol.
I suspect my commitment-phobia has branched into new areas of my life. I’ve grown hesitant to start new series, especially mysteries. I suppose it is a little unfair to expect the qualities I fall in love with in the first couple of books continue, but there it is: I do. I stuck with Lawrence Block’s Matt Scudder through many ups and downs, but Marcia Muller’s fallen apart on her latest, Janet Evanovich started recycling Stephanie Plum plots by book 8 (if not sooner), Sue Grafton had a long stre ...more
Jan
Lisa Lutz makes me laugh. Out loud. She is one of the most clever writers I know of, and her characters, who are part of a crazy family who are all part of their own private investigator business, are so much fun! But it's her copious footnotes that are truly hysterical! I'd recommend this series of books (the first two are now out in paperback) to anyone who could use a good laugh!
Lisa Vegan
Apr 07, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy humorous mysteries, where the humor is more important than the mystery
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. What a wonderful romp it is. I found it to be a great mood elevator. I’ve never read any books quite like Lisa Lutz’s; they’re unique.

Oh, how I adore this family. Oh, how Lisa Lutz makes me laugh. I’ve laughed out loud too many times to count while reading this book and also while reading the previous two in the series: The Spellman Files (book 1) and Curse of the Spellmans (book 2) and this third book really deepened the series and was just as hilarious.

I love Iz
Leslie
Somewhere, Janet Evanovich is planning a hit on Lisa Lutz. The Spellman series just gets better, with some expected and unexpected character developments. Funny enough to make you snort your bourbon and Diet Coke out your nose, the Spellman books keep you intrigued equally with the "mysteries" and her characters. Can't wait for a fourth - here's hoping the movie in development doesn't spoil the books for new fans.

Read-alikes would be the aforementioned Evanovich, perhaps Diane Mott Davidson (at
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Court ordered therapy is the least of Isabel's worries in this third installment in the Spellman saga. Having a car that keeps going MIA, a secret home as well as the looming decision of what to do with her life all compound to make Izzy's life very busy. Isabel has left her job at Spellman Investigations only to have Milo, her current employer and owner of The Philosopher's Club, attempt to force her back into what she's good at by offering her a case and then promptly firing her so that she'll ...more
Bill
This third in the Spellman series made me laugh at times, and the many plot lines kept me interested throughout, but it comes nowhere near the hilarity of the first book, The Spellman Files. One thing that annoys me a bit about the 2 subsequent books is the constant references to the preceding books via footnotes (e.g. see previous document, The Spellman Files, now available in paperback.) Shameless marketing. Overall, though, as I said before, the plot still holds up and the characters are all ...more
Anna
These books are a hoot. This is the third book in the Spellman Files and continues the saga of a dysfunctional family of private investigators. I enjoyed every page and didn't want to put it down. I like how Lutz tells her stories, the books are in an interesting format... I love how its like we're reading a case file.
Fi
Think my love affair with the Spellmans may be over. I loved the first two books, whizzed through them chuckling away! This one though I was just kind of 'meh' about reading it and put it down several times.
Barbara Kramer

If you are in the mood for light reading, pick this one up. In the vein of Janet Evanovich. The Spellman series is good for a quiet afternoon where you just want to escape.
Christy
Private investigator Isabel Spellman quit her job with her family’s detective business and is working part-time as a bartender at her friend Milo’s bar while trying to decide what to do next. She’s also been through one block of court-ordered therapy and has been passed by that therapist on to another. Milo persuades Isabel to take on a relatively simple case for one of his friends, whose wife is acting mysterious and bringing home expensive items. Meanwhile, Isabel’s brother David returns from ...more
Book Concierge
Book on CD narrated by Christina Moore

In this third book of the series, Isabel (“Izzy”) Spellman is undergoing court-ordered therapy and trying to decide what to do with her life. She’s left her family’s private investigation agency and is bartending part time, but her hours have been cut and she won’t be able to hold on to her apartment much longer. Strapped for cash she agrees to take on a small job for a rival agency, and then finds herself the target of a blackmailer. Meantime, younger siste
Bayneeta
Mar 31, 2009 Bayneeta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Okay, the plot is thin, but the smart-talking Izzy and her eccentric family of private eyes continue to appeal to me. A light, fun read. The footnotes (particularly the ones hyping her earlier books) started to wear a little thin. I suggest reading them in order starting with The Spellman Files and Curse of the Spellmans . ...more
Jon
I love these Spellman books...they're quickly paced, they're witty, they have creative plot structures and they are fiction that employ footnotes. What's not to love? They're also a series of books that keeps improving with each new entry. I always look forward to the next installment.
Jen
This is a very quirky series and I really like it. Lisa Lutz is very inventive in her style of writing. Her stories never take the usual course and are usually told out of sequence. If done wrong, it can ruin a book, but she does it right every time.
Paul Pessolano
Isabel Spellman is back and better than ever. For those of you who have not heard of the Spellmans, they are a family of private investigators. They are not your normal PI's in that they spend more time spying on each other than they do other people.

This is the third in a series, the first book, or document as Lisa Lutz perfers, was "The Spellman Files", and the second was "The Curse of the Spellmans". The books do not have to be read in order, but would certainly would be more enjoyable if read
Muriel
Judy
I am totally in love with this series of books. The first one I picked up on a whim at the library, the second one I sought out, and I couldn't wait to read this one. The books are supposed to be mysteries, but any mystery involved is secondary to the mystery of how this family continues to function as a unit. The Spellman's operate a investigation firm, Spellman, Inc., and they enlist every possible family member into the firm. Isabel, who tells the stories, began to work and receive a paycheck ...more
Marlyn
Kathy
Lutz intertwines multiple storylines in a compelling way so that you don't want to put the book down until you know...

who is sending the blackmail notes? not Rae, not Dad, not Mom, not David ... so who? yeah it was Henry Stone, who wants her to admit her secret (living in her brother's basement garage without telling him) and to pick up a little culture along the way...

What is her client's wife & friend really up to? Their behaviour seems legal, and moral... but there's something more going
Revenge of the Spellmans was the perfect book to read on the way to Dallas. I was already familiar with the characters, it's fun to read and helps pass the time, and it's not so dense and detailed that I have to pay a tremendous amount of attention to keep following. I'm pretty sure I liked it almost as much as the first book, a bit better than the second, and I had a pretty good idea about the outcome of the mystery (sadly, I was only partially correct).

I love the way Lutz presents her main ch
Jen
With great difficulty I put this book down at 10 like a good girl, but I couldn't sleep, so I finished in the hour of 3am. I briefly considered giving this book 5 stars, but after remembering how predictable the plot line was I had to knock it down a level. This might have been my favorite so far, in part because the footnotes were more humorous and less full of details I already knew and the plot could flow without so much background information. I found myself skipping much less of this book t ...more
Katie Robinson
This is the first book of the series that I have read. I loved it, its funny and quirky. I seriously laughed out loud several times. For those who are wondering you can read this book as a standalone, I had no problem following the story line. I am excited there are more books to follow, hopefully more of Connor <3
T.W. Fendley
Izzy handles another set of complications and emerges a little wiser (maybe). Lots of quirky fun and a great deal of heart propel this zany series.

Thank goodness for audiobooks -- gave me a great diversion for my two-day migraine!
David
The writings of Ms Lutz (am I allowed to use Ms) is like a scab you keep picking at - I don't really like the the wrilting but I can not put her books down. The characters are delightfully bizarre except for Isabel that I just want to slap and say as one of the minor characters did, "Izzy, you have to grow up sometime."

The plots and sub-plots verge on drug induced. The 1000's footnotes drive drive me crazy but I would not miss reading one.

The family life depicted in the story cause me to offer
Shana
Another fun romp with Izzy Spellman and her crazy family. Her footnotes typically garner a smile and even though her cases are very suspenseful I stayed entertained.
Tim Basuino
I picked this up on a whim at a used bookstore recently. Some of the reviews on the back cover and front pages compared this novel to the likes of Carl Hiassen and The Royal Tennenbaums, so I thought “Eh, why the heck not?”

Now, I should point out that this type of story hasn’t been what I’ve been reading in recent years – primarily a combination of history, sports, politics, and mysteries. But I’m open-minded enough to try a silly comedy every now and then.

I have to also admit that it took awhil
Jason Edwards
I remember, once, someone complaining about a video game sequel that I’d enjoyed, saying “It’s just like the first one!.” But I liked the first one, so, to me, the sequel was more of that goodness. So too with Revenge of the Spellmans. I don’t feel like there’s much more here than in the previous two novels, The Spellman Files and Curse of the Spellmans—which I thoroughly enjoyed. And there’s certainly no less in this third novel.

(Here’s a thought—can I get away with writing the same review each
Library-KAT
So far: So Weird, So Very Freaking Weird!

I know several people are not going to agree with this review, but I really don't give a fig.

Jeez what a bunch of meshuganas.... Not only are they are very annoying human beings, but they are disrespectful to each other, controlling, lying, deceitful, bullying, dysfunctional, and at times funny. But apart from her brother & father, I can not stand her family.... The younger sister, Rae is a nasty little p.o.w. who is allowed to run amok without conseq
  • Bubbles In Trouble (Bubbles Yablonsky, #2)
  • 2 Bodies for the Price of 1 (Body Movers, #2)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #2)
  • Working Stiff (Sofie Metropolis, #4)
  • Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4)
  • Electric Blue (Jane Kelly, #2)
  • Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #3)
  • Dating Dead Men
  • Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day (Bobbie Faye, #1)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • The Butcher of Beverly Hills (McAffee Twins, #1)
  • Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1)
  • Undercover in High Heels (High Heels, #3)
Lisa Lutz is the New York Times bestselling author of The Spellman Files, Curse of the Spellmans, Revenge of the Spellmans, The Spellmans Strike Again, Trail of the Spellmans, Spellman Six: The Next Generation (previously published as The Last Word), Heads you Lose (with David Hayward), and the children's book, How to Negotiate Everything (illustrated by Jaime Temairik). Her latest book, How to St ...more
More about Lisa Lutz...

The Spellmans (6 books)
  • The Spellman Files (The Spellmans, #1)
  • Curse of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #2)
  • The Spellmans Strike Again (The Spellmans, #4)
  • Trail of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #5)
  • The Last Word (The Spellmans, #6)
The Spellman Files (The Spellmans, #1) Curse of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #2) The Spellmans Strike Again (The Spellmans, #4) Trail of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #5) The Last Word (The Spellmans, #6)

“ISABEL: Sorry I missed my session Monday.

DR. RUSH: Would you like to tell me why?

ISABEL: I was depressed.

DR. RUSH: That's a good reason to come to therapy.”
19 likes