Start by marking “My People's Waltz” as Want to Read:
My People's Waltz

My People's Waltz

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Recalling the quirky charm of Truman Capote's early fiction, this collection of 10 linked stories introduces a new voice to the Southern literary tradition, one with a lyricism and cadence all its own. Seen through the eyes of Richard, Phillips's winning and irrepressible narrator, these stories take us throughout the deep South -- from North Carolina to Arkansas to the Te ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Harper Perennial (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about My People's Waltz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My People's Waltz

Al M
Richard just can’t get things right, and Phillips keeps telling us how. Dale Ray Phillips opens My People’s Waltz with two lines from Theodore Roethke’s, “My Papa’s Waltz:”photo

“But I hung on like death:
Such waltzing was not easy.”

The waltzing boy in Roethke’s poem could easily be Phillips’ Richard. In ten short stories, Richard narrates the story of his life from his (chosen) mute boyhood in a tumultuous home to the (reluctant) home birth of his first child to the (slow) decline of his parents.
Pamela
This is prose writing at its best, and it's clear why this book was nominated for a Pulitzer. This series of interlinked stories featuring a helpless, hapless, but not hopeless protagonist is sure to charm. The sentences are amazing, and Phillips never falters.
Randy
If you are a short story reader or writer feel ashamed that you've not read the craft of Dale Ray Phillips yet.

Modern southern gothic in the sense of Flannery O'Connor & James Dickey but classically its own.

True that I've painted houses with Dale Ray and we've put fish on the table many a time, but do yourself a favor and sit back with My People's Walz and feel the beat.

Casey
I tracked down this novel-in-stories in a used bookstore in Arkansas, and I'm glad I did. Dale Ray Phillips has only published this collection, and it came out in 1999. I know many people are anxiously awaiting his next book. Count me among them.
Danna
Jun 25, 2007 Danna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
An astonishing collection of ten linked stories. If you're a writer, you'd sell your soul to be able to write sentences like these, and whatever else you have left over, to make a reader love these characters as much as you will.
Sue
loved the descriptions of people and places and the aches and the generational mapping of love and ache. it seemed all genuine, not mere stereotypes of southerners and poor people problems.
Aran
Great characterization, lyrical, lovely prose. Memorable and good.
Bill Hughes
Great collection of short stories written by my childhood friend.
Robert Vivrette
Robert Vivrette marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Shelby Howe
Shelby Howe marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Heather Wade
Heather Wade marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Charles White
Charles White is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2015
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
James Emery
James Emery marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Dani S
Dani S marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mechele
Mechele marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Shannon Hall
Shannon Hall marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Kennedy Soileau
Kennedy Soileau marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014