Dragonfriend: Leonard the Great, Book One

Dragonfriend: Leonard the Great, Book One

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  18 reviews
If you think it was all good deeds and fancy ideals back in the days of Camelot, think again. Most people don't know this, but for a time things went seriously bad; Arthur was imprisoned, Merlin had vanished, and a vile demon had taken over the throne.

Paperback and Kindle Edition, 232 pages
Published November 4th 2011 by Createspace

Alexandra
I was surprised by this book. I had expected it to be childish or 'trying too hard' funny. I was greatly mistaken. The way this book was written is hard to describe. There was imagery and description, but nothing felt unnecessary.
I was drawn in, no, dragged into this story within sentences. The writing is exquisitely done. I feel as if I am one of the new heroes partaking in this maiden quest. I wished to grab a sword and start running.
I loved how the dragons were perceived. This version of the...more
Jaq Greenspon
This is a fun new adventure series, perfect for the young adult fantasy reader in your life! It can also serve as a wonderful introduction to the field, introducing the ideas of questing, maiden-rescuing (not to mention maidens doing the rescuing) and learning what it means to take responsibility for your own actions, no matter the cost.
Katharina Gerlach
I picked up the book because the blurb intrigued me. I like new takes on the Arthurian legend and this promised to be fun. I didn't regret the decision.

This is a wonderful story with nicely rounded characters and many interesting twists on details of the Arthurian legend. I liked the main character immediately. He was just the kind of boy I used to be (except that I was a girl). I liked the way he planned nearly always ending up with unexpected results. The fantasy creatures fitted the world wit...more
John Hartnett
Dragonfriend is a vastly appealing and entertaining adventure story that offers a clever, imaginative and frequently hilarious take on the age of Camelot and the Knights of the Round Table legends. I have been a fan of Roger Eschbacher since the 90's after seeing his work as a writer, actor and performer with the legendary LA improv comedy troupe, The Groundlings. He was a gifted and standout writer then, demonstrating a keen intellect, subtle wit and an uncanny skill of drawing humor out of the...more
Scott Bury
Leonard the Great, Book One: Dragonfriend, has everything a middle-grade Arthurian fantasy needs: magic, romance, action, sword-fighting, a princess, monsters, lots of dragons and, the most important item of all, a regular kid who makes good.

Leonard is a simple page, serving the worst knight in the kingdom, Sir Ronald the Mediocre. When Leonard finds a depressed dragon, he devises a brilliant plan that will make his master famous for his bravery and skill in battle. Like all brilliant plans hatc...more
Agatha Raine

Young Leonard would have been shocked to learn any of this but right now all that concerned him was where his next meal was coming from. As page to Sir Ronald, a poor but kind knight, events at the castle took a back seat to a rumbling stomach. Oh...more
Kim N - Lost-In-A-Book
Such a fun read! I loved the dragons in this book. I loved the chivalry and the lessons to youth in the book about being kind and polite and not to judge things or people by their appearances. Can't wait for the next installment of Leonard's adventures!!
Indiebrag
We are proud to announce that this book has been honored with a 2012 B.R.A.G.Medallion - telling you that this book is well worth your time and money!
Keith Robinson
At first the narrative has an omnipresent laugh-out-loud Douglas Adams feel to it as the author introduces our characters and setting. Then we're firmly in the head of a young page named Leonard as he sets about trying to help his master, Sir Ronald, become a "proper" knight. How? By setting up a slam-dunk dragon kill for him, one that even Sir Ronald can't mess up. It's a win-win situation, for the dragon in question is depressed and wants to off himself. Unfortunately, it all goes wrong, and s...more
Senor Sock
"Dragonfriend" is a terrific adventure story set in King Arthur times about a boy and his dragon. Or to be more specific, a young page named Leonard who makes a deal with a depressed dragon named Mantooth to be slain in order to help his knight, Sir Ronald. All parties are happy with the arrangement until it of course all goes wrong. Sir Ronald and Mantooth are both arrested leaving Leonard, his best friend Hubert and a Brownie named Piffle to try and rescue them from the dungeons of Camelot.

Thu...more
Heather Sutherlin
Marvelous work by the fabulous Roger Eschbacher! This book is fun, funny and quite an adventure! Although he begins with a well-known legend in the form of Camelot, the author takes the reader into a whole new realm of creatures and magic we have not seen before. Even some of the most vicious creatures are creative and endearing in this version of the fabled kingdom.

I know boys and girls alike will find this story fascinating and fun. My daughter might complain that it gets a bit “yucky” during...more
Brian Clopper
DRAGONFRIEND is a feisty, fresh take on turning a lowly page into a full-blown hero. Leonard is a decidedly square peg in a time when knights and warriors were completely concerned with being round, as in being invited to sit at the Round Table. Less concerned about being somebody and more about doing the right thing, Eschbacher's hero radiates warmth and sincerity. As a fan of the more whimsical takes on King Arthur and his court, I loved this book. It moves at a swift pace and really puts the...more
Joy
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

I found this story engaging. I think Leonard’s uncertainty and the way his plans don’t quite work out will be relatable to younger readers.

I did find the violence, while with fantasy characters, a bit much but I think that is only my personal feeling. I don’t think middle readers will find it shocking or too gross.

Some of the story was clever, which I did like. Who knew rock paper scissors was so old?

Thank you for this copy. I will be sure to pass i...more
Melissa ownsbey
i was disapointed that the front cover had no dragon on it but the little dragon on the bottom of the back cover was cute
my favtore to poeple in thye book was the dragon mantooth and leorad
i felt bad man tooth lost his mate and baby it made me sad
i liked it though it was a good enjoyeable book i like the fightinhg
it had dragons knights and all the things i like so im glad i got the chance to read this book i cant wait for the nest part top come out im exted to see what happends
Ann Scriven
Excellent read. Fun, wonderful writing. It's a YA book, but still a super read for any age. Will be sending this to my nephew in the UK & gettung the next in the series once it's out. Watch out, this writer, Roger Eschbacher is Really Funtastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
An awesome read for younger readers. The only thing keeping me from giving it five stars is the lack of detail to the ending of the plot. Otherwise, a wonderful read, that I would gladly recommend.
Ann
funny, well-written, adventure and laughs. Way to go, Roger!
Angie
i enjoyed it very much. good for adult and younger readers
Robin Radoja
Robin Radoja marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Max de Jonge
Max de Jonge marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
A.L. Butcher
A.L. Butcher marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Nevey Badr
Nevey Badr marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Nadia Shobnam
Nadia Shobnam marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Alura
Alura marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Genre Undergr...: Question about Amazon Categories 5 10 May 16, 2014 12:56AM
Q&A with Roge...: Dragonfriend Discussion 27 9 Feb 18, 2013 09:35PM
Q&A with Roge...: Who You? 7 9 Jan 16, 2012 10:22AM
Q&A with Roge...: My Influences 5 9 Jan 16, 2012 10:00AM
Q&A with Roge...: On Writing 6 7 Nov 27, 2011 10:47AM
Roger Eschbacher is an Emmy Award nominated television animation writer who's worked for Disney, Warner Brothers, Nickelodeon, The Hub, and Cartoon Network.

In addition to Dragonfriend, a middle-grade, fantasy/adventure novel, he's written two children's picture books, Road Trip, and Nonsense! He Yelled, both for Penguin.

Born in St. Louis, Missouri, he now lives in California with his family and a...more
More about Roger Eschbacher...
Road Trip Nonsense! He Yelled Wonderstorms: A Fantasy Anthology