Start by marking “Dragonfriend: Leonard the Great, Book One” as Want to Read:
Dragonfriend: Leonard the Great, Book One

Dragonfriend: Leonard the Great, Book One

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
If you think it was all good deeds and fancy ideals back in the days of Camelot, think again. Most people don't know this, but for a time things went seriously bad; Arthur was imprisoned, Merlin had vanished, and a cruel demon had taken over the throne. It's up to young Leonard, a page to a poor but kind knight, to set things right even if that means going on a perilous qu ...more
Paperback and Kindle Edition, 232 pages
Published November 4th 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Dragonfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonfriend

Alexandra
Oct 26, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by this book. I had expected it to be childish or 'trying too hard' funny. I was greatly mistaken. The way this book was written is hard to describe. There was imagery and description, but nothing felt unnecessary.
I was drawn in, no, dragged into this story within sentences. The writing is exquisitely done. I feel as if I am one of the new heroes partaking in this maiden quest. I wished to grab a sword and start running.
I loved how the dragons were perceived. This version of the
Jaq Greenspon
Jul 15, 2012 Jaq Greenspon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, e-book, ya, lithuania, 2012
This is a fun new adventure series, perfect for the young adult fantasy reader in your life! It can also serve as a wonderful introduction to the field, introducing the ideas of questing, maiden-rescuing (not to mention maidens doing the rescuing) and learning what it means to take responsibility for your own actions, no matter the cost.
Katharina Gerlach
May 13, 2012 Katharina Gerlach rated it really liked it
I picked up the book because the blurb intrigued me. I like new takes on the Arthurian legend and this promised to be fun. I didn't regret the decision.

This is a wonderful story with nicely rounded characters and many interesting twists on details of the Arthurian legend. I liked the main character immediately. He was just the kind of boy I used to be (except that I was a girl). I liked the way he planned nearly always ending up with unexpected results. The fantasy creatures fitted the world wit
John Hartnett
Aug 22, 2013 John Hartnett rated it it was amazing
Dragonfriend is a vastly appealing and entertaining adventure story that offers a clever, imaginative and frequently hilarious take on the age of Camelot and the Knights of the Round Table legends. I have been a fan of Roger Eschbacher since the 90's after seeing his work as a writer, actor and performer with the legendary LA improv comedy troupe, The Groundlings. He was a gifted and standout writer then, demonstrating a keen intellect, subtle wit and an uncanny skill of drawing humor out of the ...more
Scott Bury
Nov 25, 2011 Scott Bury rated it it was amazing
Leonard the Great, Book One: Dragonfriend, has everything a middle-grade Arthurian fantasy needs: magic, romance, action, sword-fighting, a princess, monsters, lots of dragons and, the most important item of all, a regular kid who makes good.

Leonard is a simple page, serving the worst knight in the kingdom, Sir Ronald the Mediocre. When Leonard finds a depressed dragon, he devises a brilliant plan that will make his master famous for his bravery and skill in battle. Like all brilliant plans hatc
Agatha Raine
Mar 10, 2012 Agatha Raine rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
If you think it was all good deeds and fancy ideals back in the days of Camelot, think again. Most people don't know this, but for a time things went seriously bad; Arthur was imprisoned, Merlin had vanished, and a vile demon had taken over the throne.

Young Leonard would have been shocked to learn any of this but right now all that concerned him was where his next meal was coming from. As page to Sir Ronald, a poor but kind knight, events at the castle took a back seat to a rumbling stomach. Oh
Danika Dinsmore
Jan 03, 2016 Danika Dinsmore rated it liked it

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’d place this somewhere between 3 - 3.5 stars. Definitely give the book a chance if you like quick-paced children’s sword and sorcery fiction and/or twists on King Arthur / Knights of the Round Table / Camelot stories.

I had mixed feelings about this book myself. On the one hand, it’s a fairly clean and quick-paced read, and it begins in a whimsical manner with enough plot to keep me reading, though at first I was confused about the
Kim-Lost-In-A-Book
Jan 08, 2013 Kim-Lost-In-A-Book rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
Such a fun read! I loved the dragons in this book. I loved the chivalry and the lessons to youth in the book about being kind and polite and not to judge things or people by their appearances. Can't wait for the next installment of Leonard's adventures!!
Indiebrag
Dec 05, 2012 Indiebrag rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that this book has been honored with a 2012 B.R.A.G.Medallion - telling you that this book is well worth your time and money!
Keith Robinson
Mar 21, 2012 Keith Robinson rated it it was amazing
At first the narrative has an omnipresent laugh-out-loud Douglas Adams feel to it as the author introduces our characters and setting. Then we're firmly in the head of a young page named Leonard as he sets about trying to help his master, Sir Ronald, become a "proper" knight. How? By setting up a slam-dunk dragon kill for him, one that even Sir Ronald can't mess up. It's a win-win situation, for the dragon in question is depressed and wants to off himself. Unfortunately, it all goes wrong, and s ...more
Senor Sock
Dec 12, 2011 Senor Sock rated it it was amazing
"Dragonfriend" is a terrific adventure story set in King Arthur times about a boy and his dragon. Or to be more specific, a young page named Leonard who makes a deal with a depressed dragon named Mantooth to be slain in order to help his knight, Sir Ronald. All parties are happy with the arrangement until it of course all goes wrong. Sir Ronald and Mantooth are both arrested leaving Leonard, his best friend Hubert and a Brownie named Piffle to try and rescue them from the dungeons of Camelot.

Thu
Heather Sutherlin
Marvelous work by the fabulous Roger Eschbacher! This book is fun, funny and quite an adventure! Although he begins with a well-known legend in the form of Camelot, the author takes the reader into a whole new realm of creatures and magic we have not seen before. Even some of the most vicious creatures are creative and endearing in this version of the fabled kingdom.

I know boys and girls alike will find this story fascinating and fun. My daughter might complain that it gets a bit “yucky” during
Brian Clopper
Jul 24, 2012 Brian Clopper rated it it was amazing
DRAGONFRIEND is a feisty, fresh take on turning a lowly page into a full-blown hero. Leonard is a decidedly square peg in a time when knights and warriors were completely concerned with being round, as in being invited to sit at the Round Table. Less concerned about being somebody and more about doing the right thing, Eschbacher's hero radiates warmth and sincerity. As a fan of the more whimsical takes on King Arthur and his court, I loved this book. It moves at a swift pace and really puts the ...more
Joy
Jan 15, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

I found this story engaging. I think Leonard’s uncertainty and the way his plans don’t quite work out will be relatable to younger readers.

I did find the violence, while with fantasy characters, a bit much but I think that is only my personal feeling. I don’t think middle readers will find it shocking or too gross.

Some of the story was clever, which I did like. Who knew rock paper scissors was so old?

Thank you for this copy. I will be sure to pass i
Melissa ownsbey
Jul 18, 2013 Melissa ownsbey rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
i was disapointed that the front cover had no dragon on it but the little dragon on the bottom of the back cover was cute
my favtore to poeple in thye book was the dragon mantooth and leorad
i felt bad man tooth lost his mate and baby it made me sad
i liked it though it was a good enjoyeable book i like the fightinhg
it had dragons knights and all the things i like so im glad i got the chance to read this book i cant wait for the nest part top come out im exted to see what happends
Ann Scriven
Sep 21, 2012 Ann Scriven rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Fun, wonderful writing. It's a YA book, but still a super read for any age. Will be sending this to my nephew in the UK & gettung the next in the series once it's out. Watch out, this writer, Roger Eschbacher is Really Funtastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
Jan 08, 2012 Jesse Kimmel-Freeman rated it really liked it
An awesome read for younger readers. The only thing keeping me from giving it five stars is the lack of detail to the ending of the plot. Otherwise, a wonderful read, that I would gladly recommend.
Ann
Jul 21, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
funny, well-written, adventure and laughs. Way to go, Roger!
Angie
Feb 15, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
i enjoyed it very much. good for adult and younger readers
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Clive Goddard
Clive Goddard rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Dino Heart
Dino Heart marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jarom Later
Jarom Later marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Genre Undergr...: Question about Amazon Categories 5 13 May 16, 2014 12:56AM
Q&A with Roger Es...: Dragonfriend Discussion 27 10 Feb 18, 2013 09:35PM
  • The Liar's Bible: A Handbook for Fiction Writers
  • 30 Days in the Word Mines
  • Spider-Man: Revenge of the Sinister Six
  • Stargazing for Beginners: How to Find Your Way Around the Night Sky
  • Decision Maker (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 2)
  • Science Fiction: A Very Short Introduction
  • Pwned (Lexy Cooper Mystery #2)
  • The Best of Fredric Brown
Roger Eschbacher lives in Los Angeles, California, where he's worked as a writer/actor for over 30 years. These days he works primarily as a TV animation writer and is also the author of several middle-grade fantasy adventure novels.

To learn more about Roger, his books, and his animation writing, please visit www.rogereschbacher.com.
More about Roger Eschbacher...