Start by marking “Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women” as Want to Read:
Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women

Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,447 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
In this groundbreaking collection, American Muslim women writers sweep aside stereotypes to share their real-life tales of flirting, dating, longing, and sex. Their stories show just how varied the search for love can be—from singles' events and college flirtations to arranged marriages, all with a uniquely Muslim twist.

These heartfelt tales are filled with passion and hop
Published February 17th 2012 by Soft Skull Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love, InshAllah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, InshAllah

Arabian Rihanna
Feb 04, 2012 Arabian Rihanna rated it did not like it
Poignantly disappointing.

I was expecting a few inspirational stories with the main focal point being Islam, but instead I read about breakups, new relationships, other relationships, more relationships, lust and maybe a story or two about love; I'm still not sure though.

I shouldn't have ignored the big red flag of "The *Secret* Love Lives of *American* Muslim Women". What was I thinking?

People always find stories of conversion to Islam to be "impressive". I personally call that the "Farangi Com
Feb 01, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Love, InshAllah, at first, brought me face-to-face with a glaring prejudice I have unconsciously created about what for me is fair game for love stories.

When Bollywood started to produce movies that involved more explicit love scenes, I remember my best friend, the least prejudiced person I know, saying “Aurgh, I don’t want to see that!” I chuckled: “So, what, it’s okay if white people do that onscreen?” She tried to explain what she felt: “No, but that’s brown people. That’s us!” Thanks to the
Fay
Jan 21, 2012 Fay rated it it was amazing
Well, I just finished this book a few moments ago and I've got to say that I loved it. This is NOT a book to teach you about Islam though you may come away from it with an understanding of some of it's tenets. With this book we are allowed to enter the world that these women, all of whom identify themselves as both Muslim and American, some practicing a little, some a lot, others not much if at all so openly shared with us. This wasn't a foreign world for me because I too am both Muslim (convert ...more
Khadijah Qamar
Jul 18, 2013 Khadijah Qamar rated it it was ok
Shelves: islam
I was excited about this book when it came out and special ordered it through my library. As my rating indicates, I was very disappointed. The negligee on the front cover should have warned me. This book simply falls into a long line of oriental literature that sexualizes Muslim women. What's the biggest shame is that it's written by two Muslim women. This was their opportunity to delve into a subject rarely spoken about and explore the nature of romantic relationships among Muslims. However the ...more
Huma Rashid
Mar 10, 2012 Huma Rashid rated it really liked it
Some of the stories in this book are better than others, but the book itself is a must-read simply because of the picture it presents. Everyone has an image of Muslim women. Especially those who don't know one personally.

In reading this book, you'll see a whole world of feeling and passion and angst that's never part of the discussion of Muslim women, and for that reason, this book goes a long way in fighting misconceptions about women like us.

I want to do a full, meaningful, carefully written
Asma Alsalameh
May 13, 2012 Asma Alsalameh rated it it was ok
I was excited when I heard about this book-finally someone was going to tell our stories! However, overall this book wasn't what I expected it to be. As a practicing single Muslim Arab girl in my 20s, 80% of the stories were unrelatable. In addition, maybe half of these stories were told by self-proclaimed non-practicing girls. I understand wanting to be diverse but come on!!! That was my main issue with the book-that it does not represent. Also, this book could have a lot of potential to be gre ...more
Viola
Jan 24, 2012 Viola rated it liked it
As a non-Muslim American, who likes to be generally worldly and culturally sensitive, I was drawn to this book because I love love. Love is one of the most universal human experiences; it is powerful enough to breakdown boundaries and unify people of all different backgrounds. With this book, I was ready to be charmed by some love stories and to be enlightened about the Muslim-American experience. Instead, I should've prepared myself to be disappointed.

Before I purchased the book, I downloaded t
Manaar
Jan 05, 2012 Manaar rated it really liked it
This book was a surprisingly good read; I finished it within a couple days. It was on my to-read list for a long time before I finally decided to give it a try, since I'd heard a few negative reviews about it. I'm glad I picked it up, though. What kept me reading despite a few stories that made me feel uncomfortable (e.g., they were unnecessarily crude) were the brutal honesty, faith, and vulnerability-driven courage that each woman (Muslim-born or revert) wrote with. For example, one was experi ...more
Motasem
Jan 17, 2013 Motasem rated it liked it
As a Muslim, I feel this collection of short stories succeeds in portraying a diversity of relationships experienced by Muslim Americans but at the same time it may improperly normalize some of the more extreme examples that certainly exist but are arguably very rare. With some of these stories, I don't believe the editors sought shock value but rather to open an honest dialogue which is certainly an admirable goal. But the introduction identifies a parallel goal of breaking stereotypes and I th ...more
Madiha
Apr 01, 2012 Madiha rated it did not like it
I have mixed feelings about this book. My initial assumption of what the book would be about, or rather it's content were very inflated. That balloon burst almost as soon as I began to read the book.

This book shouldn't be taken to represent Islam. Rather it should be seen as an anthology in which women, who have a common belief system, which vary in intensity, share their love stories. Many of which were very dry.

I do not see the point of the book. I see it as a source of "fitnah" and a medium
Hannah
Apr 22, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of negative reviews for this book. People are expecting something based on the title and the cover of the book (which they shouldn't). This book is not going to teach you a whole lot about the Muslim rules for dating or marriage (some, but not a lot). It will, however, tell you a lot of personal stories and experiences of American women who identify as Muslim. People can identify as something and not accept every practice of the group they identify with. There are practicing Mu ...more
Cristina Ana
Jul 06, 2013 Cristina Ana rated it did not like it
Meh… disappointing. My assumption was that the book would tackle complex identity issues and it probably had this initial ambition, as it is tailored as an anthology of Muslim women’s love stories attempting for Islam’s reconciliation with American culture. Just that most of the stories are dull and dry, poorly written, and only succeeding to present an exposé of something like tales from women' magazines.
Humaira
Mar 24, 2012 Humaira rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this! Initially read because Hijabman's wife had written a chapter in it, but after reading a few excerpts on the website for the book, I was in awe. Totally worth the wait and it is a phenomennal collection of stories showing the diversity of muslim women in love. Some stories will shock you, some will make you cry but all will make you believe in the power of love, inshallah!
Victoria
Jan 27, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous insight into a variety of WOMEN's lives, who may be defined by their faith but are ultimately sympathetic to any woman. It is a shared experience, and it is so worthwhile.
Irving Karchmar
Mar 24, 2013 Irving Karchmar rated it it was amazing
Deeply touching and intimate, the 25 stories in Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women, reveal the elegance and universality of love and faith. Written by American Muslim women of all ages, races and nationalities, many of them first generation Americans struggling to bridge the cultural gap, they tell of love found and love lost, of arranged marriages that work and those that do not, of coming out and staying in the closet; the full range of human experience for women o ...more
Khairul H.
Feb 04, 2012 Khairul H. rated it liked it
(The following review is an excerpt from my blog: The Malaysian Reader

There are stories of arranged marriages like Aisha Saeed’s “Leap of Faith” who was so adamant against the idea that when the boy’s family asked for a photo, she did her best to pose with an annoyed look. Far from driving him away with the look, it intrigued him. “Love In The Time Of Biohazards” is an endearing and humorous story about a spouse taking care of his wife, Melody Meozzi, who is suffering from pancreatic cancer and
Sarah Lameche
Sep 01, 2013 Sarah Lameche rated it liked it
Shelves: women-and-islam
I wanted to give it a 2.5 star but as I didn't have the option its nearer a 3 than a 2.
I suppose I found it a little disappointing. There weren't many stories I could relate to I suppose. Many seemed to be jetting around the world or discovering their sexuality.
One of the stories just seemed like erotica and to be honest I couldn't see which part of her life was supposed to be that of a Muslim.
I was expecting more stories of arranged (not forced) marriages and how love really does grow. Or wh
Jennifer Donahue
Jan 05, 2012 Jennifer Donahue rated it really liked it
I slowly made my way through these stories and I am very impressed with the diversity and depth of each contributor's experience. Different backgrounds and cultures are represented throughout, there are those who are born into Islam and others who converted to the faith, but every woman's struggle is unique and insightful. I say "struggle" because even though these stories are about love and relationships, they are also about the search for self and forging an identity.

I always love "how we met"
Yasmeen
May 26, 2014 Yasmeen rated it liked it
It was a quick, enjoyable read on my flight back from Chicago on Memorial Day. I mostly laughed; it was nice to be able to relate to the many anecdotes that the writer's described i.e. American friends who don't really understand the nuances of our culture that is intrinsically tied to our religion. It brought me back to my awkward teenage years and oddly enough, I didn't mind. It also brought me back to my college years where I discovered and lost love. And no, he wasn't a Muslim.

I'm quite con
Asiah
Jun 13, 2012 Asiah rated it really liked it
Shelves: islam, marriage
There were some stories I didn't care for but a few good ones really made this book a pleasurable experience. It was a fun and quick read. I've read a lot of reviews of people saying that this books is needed and a "revelation." didn't get that. I kept thinking this book could be written by any group of women, there's nothing innately Islamic or Muslim about it for the most part. But I guess that's the point? "Muslim women are just like women everywhere." But for me that was a weakness in the b ...more
Melissa
May 16, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: women
There are many negative stereotypes about Muslim-American women, and this collection works to present various types of love and dating and sex within the Muslim-American community. Some of the writing isn't really fantastic, and some of the stories border on the cliche, but it was definitely an interesting read. I have to admit that I did roll my eyes a few times at how silly women seem when talking about love - it seems that no matter the race or religion, fairy tales infect women's brains.

Punk
Shakera
Sep 01, 2012 Shakera rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this anthology! I really appreciate these brave, talented, and beautiful sisters opening up to me and sharing with me their personal stories. It was so nice to hear about my sisters’ stories regarding their love lives something I’ve sooo much about, but rarely from a Muslimah’s voice. Regardless of the mixed reviews, I knew this book deserved a shot and I really could not put it down. There were times I would kinda frown….and get confused at some experiences, but serious ...more
Sheila
Apr 16, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
This collection of essays helps make the love lives of Muslims real. There are many perceptions about Muslim women (suppressed, covered, silenced, etc) that these stories help negate. I was surprised at just how open and honest some of these stories were. I am not by any means a 'traditional conservative' but my discomfort helped me see my own 'expectations' of Muslim women. I could relate to some of the women in these stories and felt compelled to look up the ones that spoke to me. I look forwa ...more
Amina
Feb 06, 2012 Amina rated it really liked it
There are countless untold stories in this world, but few are so self-censored as tales of the Muslim woman’s quest for love. A new anthology of first person essays called “Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women” seeks to break that silence by giving a variety of American Muslim women a rooftop from which to shout their stories.

Read the full review and enter to win a free copy by clicking here.
Mariam Sultana
Jan 21, 2012 Mariam Sultana rated it really liked it
Very diverse depiction of Muslim women, which I appreciated. Brings up some "taboo" topics like homosexuality and premarital sex -- things that need to be discussed more within the Muslim community instead of ignored.
Sabeeha Rehman
May 20, 2016 Sabeeha Rehman rated it it was amazing
An eye opener for the Muslim mom, who is in denial. Touching stories of Muslim women, whose love lives are no different than any other. Its a beautiful read. After reading it, I recommended it to my Book Club, and they loved it.
Carmen
Nov 18, 2013 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People curious about Muslims
A series of non-fiction stories by Muslim-American women. Some write about how they met their husband. Some were born Muslim, some converted. Some married Muslims, some converted their husbands after meeting them. Some were okay with plural marriage.
Naheed Kamruddin
Jul 22, 2015 Naheed Kamruddin rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. A sometimes familiar, sometimes drastically different perspective to relationships as an American Muslim Woman. A very quick read - I would highly recommend anyone that likes watching documentaries to pick up this book and give it a try!
Miss
Mar 22, 2012 Miss rated it liked it
this was really encouraging to read. many of these women make choices i would never go for but it was nice to get such a diversity of experiences. makes me feel hopeful to read about marriages that don't necessarily run on strict gender roles while still maintaining faith. 3.5 stars
Aischa
Feb 10, 2012 Aischa rated it it was amazing
I just have to say, it's nice to read real stories, of all types. Nice to feel a little romantic "zing" from reading stories I can relate to as well.
Muslim Love 1 6 Feb 06, 2014 04:07AM
  • I Speak for Myself: American Women on Being Muslim
  • The Butterfly Mosque: A Young American Woman's Journey to Love and Islam
  • Fairytales for Lost Children
  • Love in a Headscarf
  • Sexual Ethics And Islam: Feminist Reflections on Qur'an, Hadith, and Jurisprudence
  • "Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an
  • The Book of Assistance
  • Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journeys of a Sceptical Muslim
  • Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam
  • Sheikh with Benefits
  • The Ideal Muslimah: The True Islamic Personality of the Muslim Woman as Defined in the Qur’an and Sunnah
  • Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart
  • In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad