Start by marking “La scuola dei mostri ” as Want to Read:
La scuola dei mostri

La scuola dei mostri (Ribblestrop #1)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  267 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Dormitori sudici, il tetto distrutto da un incendio, un pericolosissimo tunnel sotterraneo risalente alla Seconda guerra mondiale: questa è la scuola Ribblestrop, un'istituzione molto, molto particolare... La frequentano Sanchez, il figlio di un gangster colombiano in fuga dai suoi rapitori; Millie, ragazza difficile cacciata da ogni altra scuola; Caspar, il nipote ricco e ...more
Published February 17th 2011 by Newton Compton (first published April 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about La scuola dei mostri, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La scuola dei mostri

Wandering Librarians
Ribblestrop is a school like no other. There is no roof. The teachers are a bit odd, and strange things are going on in the secret underground labyrinth of the building. The students are an unusual mix as well, from Millie, an arsonist who's been kicked out of her other schools, Sanches, the son of a Colombian gangster, to Sam, who's had the bad luck to fall into the middle of it all.

I did not enjoy. My expectations were high because Ribblestrop was actually published in the UK in 2009 and won T
Maharet
Feb 23, 2012 Maharet rated it really liked it
Questo libro è completamente folle: è un trip di acido (non che ne abbia mai sperimentato uno, ma immagino quali possano essere gli effetti di tale pratica) lungo 439 pagine e Andy Mulligan secondo me è un genio.
Sui social network mi è capitato di definire questo libro “un Harry Potter sotto LSD” e devo dire che la definizione calza, anche se tra HP e questo libro ci passa un oceano: è un libro fuori di testa, in cui succede di tutto e di più e in cui i colpi di scena si susseguono a ritmo serra
Candy Wood
Andy Mulligan's Ribblestrop is a very strange take on the boarding-school story, partly updated to the 21st century with "cellphones" and partly a throwback to James Bond spy stories with evil mad scientists and improbable gadgets. Add to all that a huge volume of violence, not just the bruises and scrapes of an accident-prone schoolboy but life-threatening injuries realistically described (with some hints of cartoon exaggeration). As often in the school-story genre, the characters are more ster ...more
Lisa Tobleman
Jan 16, 2015 Lisa Tobleman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
I picked this book up at the bookstore purely because I loved the name. It has turned out to be a fantastic read and one I believe kids (boys and girls) can find something to love.

Age Range: 8 - 12 years
Grade Level: 3 - 7
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Beach Lane Books (August 19, 2014)

This book is a UK series that has just made it to the US. There is a lot to love, hilarious, fun action with unlikely friendships forming under adverse conditions with great writing and in general age appropriate s
Sam Reader
Jan 11, 2015 Sam Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In preparation for my first ever break with the format of this blog to review a Young Adult book about a school, I went back and looked up some of the young adult titles of my youth: Wayside School, for one. some of Ellen Raskin's books for another, and Neal Shusterman, and Bruce Coville, and some other titles here and there that I remember digging. And, upon looking back, I realized something:

YA authors scare the living daylights out of me.

Seriously, YA is a
Giulia
Jul 29, 2015 Giulia rated it did not like it
L'unica cosa mostruosa è l'italiano..

E' stato tradotto con Google Translate, secondo me. Sapete quelle sane e genuine traduzioni letterali che ci offre spesso questo traduttore? Ecco, alcune volte la sensazione è proprio quella. Per non parlare della punteggiatura, questa sconosciuta. Per quanto mi riguarda, ho faticato pure a immaginarmi parecchie delle scene e delle ambientazioni (soprattutto le sotterranee), non so se per difetto di traduzione o per insipidità di racconto. E poi.. MA QUALI SA
Jackie
Dr. Norcross-Webb, a clueless, inept, yet lovable headmaster at a newly formed, progressive school, Ribblestrop, encounters his fair-share of troubles with his ragtag orphan students, some returning second-year pupils, a staff which is flighty, yet trying their hardest. During the second year, he hires disciplinarian, Miss Hazlatt who is fond of rules and ruthless with the enforcement of them.

During the year, friends Sanchez, Sam, Millie, and Ruskin encounter a few oddities. Tunnels, strange co
Monica Edinger
Dec 26, 2011 Monica Edinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I read this after the second one I do have to admit my preference for it over the first, but liked this one too. Now can't wait for the final in the trilogy.
Eccentrika
Nov 21, 2015 Eccentrika rated it liked it
Questo libro è uno dei più strani che mi sia capitato di leggere, a partire dal titolo e dall'immagine di copertina che appena iniziata la lettura ti rendi conto essere del tutto fuorvianti perché non centrano davvero nulla! A questo proposito mi sono chiesta più volte se la casa editrice avesse idea di cosa stesse pubblicando e probabilmente la risposta è no!
Appurato quindi che il titolo di questo libro avrebbe dovuto essere "La scuola di Ribblestrop" e che non ci sarà nessuna famiglia Addams,
Arya
Oct 15, 2015 Arya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a really long time, and a good bit of endurance and sticktoitiveness, because there was this bit of time when I didn't get to read it at all, and then there were these other books I had to read, but it was all worth it. It was hilarious, and it was one mad book. Seriously, learning Trig while fixing a burnt roof is a cool but bizarre idea. In this book, nothing is what it really seems like. And the interesting thing is that in most books, the only voice it that of the main char ...more
Johara Almogbel
Jun 22, 2015 Johara Almogbel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-the-library
I am... I... Er... This book. I am confused. I am so confused. The writing is very decent, and the characters are written well at a certain level, but. I don't know. So much violence happens to children, I just want to scream and shake all the horrible people in the story. It's like Lemony Snicket if Snicket's characters were even MORE self-serving and murderous, which is a miracle. Also, I never got why people in the UK would call football 'soccer' and go against a 'high school' team. That bit ...more
Rachael
Dec 28, 2011 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the wacky world of Ribblestrop!

Ribblestrop is a boarding school set in the lovely English countryside in Devon, but all is not what it seems. With an air of the movie Hot Fuzz things slowly unravel as you meet the characters and arrive at the school.

With day to day school life, a sweet but zany headmaster, a deputy head mistress who enforces the rules, a building which was burnt down in the last school year and a laboratory and catacombs underneath the school, things are about to get
Becky B
Let me preface this by saying I usually heartily enjoy British humor, so I went into this book with high hopes. However, it took me forever to get into Ribblestrop. In fact, I usually devour a book this size in 2-3 days and I was so not grabbed by the characters or plotline that I dropped it to read not once, not twice, but about 6-7 times to read other books and thus stretched this thing out for almost a month. Finally, about 2 chapters from the end (about 300 pages of forced reading) I got int ...more
Spock
Apr 12, 2013 Spock rated it it was ok
la parte iniziale del libro (il treno, l'incontro con i compagni, la scuola strana, ...) ricordano volutamente Harry Potter. E gi questa captatio benevolentiae verso il lettore target non mi piace.

La storia tuttavia non riesce a catturare il lettore: la storia procede in modo alquanto incongruo e poco coinvolgente. Gli studenti sono curiosamente borderline: un gruppo di orfani provenienti da una non meglio definita regione Himalayana (!?!?!?) dai nomi improbabili; la ragazzina problematica; due
Mary
Oct 28, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The publisher says this book is for 8 to 12 year olds. I'm thinking 12. There were parts that were so violent I started to think I was reading an adult book.
But it is oh-so-British. I got this book at a Book Buzz I attended recently and the publisher said it was a book you can't stop reading. She's right - it's a real page-turner.
Sara
Dec 17, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-reader
This was kind of crazy but I have absolutely no complaints. You could maybe kind of classify it as something like Louise Rennison's Georgia books, but for pre-teen boys.
Zee
The plot is very promising here, so it's a shame that it's so badly executed. The lack of a single main character is this book's main stumbling point; no character is actually fleshed out enough for the reader to sufficiently invest in the story emotionally, and when there are as many as ten POVs in one chapter it becomes very difficult to place yourself at the scene or care what happens at the end. Books with multiple points of view are fine if written well, however this does not carry it off a ...more
Hebe Young
It was pretty good but I think it is more aimed at younger boys than my age group and gender.
Mary
Nov 04, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book is so, so British. There were parts of it that were just a bit too gory and violent for my taste. But the parts about learning were wonderful.
Linda
Aug 13, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, series, mid-reader
4.5
Matthew
Full of surprises
Melusine Parry
Didn't finish it. Found it unbelievably boring. Didn't laugh for a fraction of a second.
Michelle
Nov 22, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but found none of the characters to be very likeable, the plot--for me--was too convoluted, and there was simply too much going on. I think the author may have been better served by sticking with one or two interesting plot points and developing the characters and relationships between them more fully.
Lily
totally wacky, with really weird characters and a very well thought out plot. Really enjoyed it
Niki
Jun 10, 2014 Niki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it but not as much as the other books in the series.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I'd love to give this 4 stars because I enjoyed it so much, but it does bear some marks of a first novel - uneven charaterisation, a sometimes directioness plot and a very few instances of clumsy phrasing. Other than that it's a gloriously nerve-wracking romp in the most haphazard and hazardous school ever.
Kriselle
Nov 30, 2013 Kriselle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Could've been an interesting story, but everything had been rolled out in such an unpleasant pace that made it difficult to read. Especially the 'climax'. Took me longer to finish this compared to other books with the same difficulty.
Rahul
Nov 14, 2012 Rahul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start. Picked the book for its cover (Whoops!! Really loved the colors and illustration). Didn't like it so much at first. But gets really interesting in the middle and not bad in the end. Will be reading the next book also.
James Albia
This is highly unusual for a children's fiction. I don't even think children should be reading this what with the violence in it. But sure as hell I loved reading this one.
Read_it
Oct 24, 2013 Read_it rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book will shock you surprise you and do all manner of things.In this take on boarding school you won't know what to do laugh cry or have a heart attack.(just laugh) : )
  • Shiverton Hall: The Creeper
  • Der Schmetterlingssammler
  • Moon Pie
  • The Paradise Trap
  • A Plague of Unicorns
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • Everything Breaks
Andy Mulligan was brought up in the south of London. He worked as a theatre director for ten years before travels in Asia prompted him to retrain as a teacher. He has taught English and drama in India, Brazil, the Philippines and the UK. He now divides his time between London and Manila.
More about Andy Mulligan...

Ribblestrop (3 books)
  • Return to Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #2)
  • Ribblestrop Forever (Ribblestrop, #3)