Once We Were Kings (Sojourner Saga, #1)

Once We Were Kings (Sojourner Saga, #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Two kingdoms, five centuries, one destiny.

In a world where the Sojourners, a nearly extinct race with preternatural abilities struggle to preserve their faith and heritage, destiny thrusts two youths from opposing nations into the heart of a centuries-old conflict.

Render, an orphan from the outskirts of the culturally enlightened Kingdom of Valdshire Tor, escapes slavery a...more
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 490 pages
Published June 12th 2012 by Dawn Treader Press (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Once We Were Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once We Were Kings

ReviewsByMolly
May 25, 2011 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: Ian Alexander
First off, let me say, that I am NOT a big fan of fantasy novels. Oh, I'll read them from time to time, but they are not my first choice in genre so most I end up not finishing or not liking that well. There have been, occasionally, a few that I do enjoy if they are extremely well written. That being said, this novel by Ian Alexander (who happens to have a twin by the name of Joshua Graham-who is an INCREDIBLE author(he wrote BEYOND JUSTICE ), btw), is one that I must confess I really enjoyed. I...more
Divya

I know that many people have probably used this word to describe Once We Were Kings, but I can't think of anything else that would fit it so perfectly: EPIC! Once We Were Kings was bookishly epic! I have to confess that I did stay up late to finish the book in one day instead of going to sleep last weekend, but this book had that kind of an influence on me. Don't worry, I didn't pull an all-nighter, I'm not that crazy, but I sure got close to it reading Once We Were Kings. The fantasy, the...poe...more
Heidi Tan
Nicely paced and an interesting read.
Misty Rayburn
Once We Were Kings, is an epic fantasy tale of pure delight as we follow the story of two young people from warring kingdoms. When they first meet, it’s as mortal enemies but they find that there’s an even greater evil threatening both realms and that to defeat it, they must join together. But how can a slave and a peasant bring sworn enemies of half a millennium together?

Joshua Graham transitions from writing suspense and thrillers to the fantasy realm as Ian Alexander with flying colors. Once...more
April
Once We Were Kings is an amazing epic adventure that will take the reader on an unforgettable journey like no other.

As I settled in with my Kindle and it's newest arrival, Once We Were Kings, I was not truly sure what to expect. I knew it was dubbed an "epic fantasy", and of course the synopsis, which caught my intrigue. Previously, I had found myself in a bit of one of those horrid reading slumps (nasty things), which I was looking to be released from. With that in mind, I clicked to the beginn...more
Rachel
Until about 60% this book was wonderful! The author did a GREAT job of creating the world of the story and characters and it had a very epic feel to it. Everything was great until a mysterious entity named Valhandra shows up, who quotes exactly from the Bible and proceeds to give the entire history of the fall and sin of man and all in a very very long dialogue form. I am a Christian and believe in the Bible. I just had a hard time stomaching this whole plot turn because it seemed like too much...more
Shayna Gier
What I Loved:

Other reviews have said it, and I must agree that the imagery in this book is absolutely wonderful. Several times when reading I could practically smell or taste the action that was happening, and many times I cringed in reading a description. I Also really loved the ending. The last 30% or so was absolutely phenomenal. I struggled with the first half, mainly because of it's length, but I read the last 30% without stopping, and barely noticed that about 7 hours had passed.

What I Did...more
Matthew Coiner
I had trouble connecting with the characters in this book. I had two problems. The dialogue wasn't very good and the time table for events was hard to accept. After two months of being brought to the capital, the characters are suddenly conversant in literature, art, science, mathematics, and combat. It was an ok book, but I was glad to finish it and move to something else.
Sheryl
great story with hidden agenda's as well as great messages from beyond.
this book will keep you wondering whats going to happen next and will the Orphans find each other again, and a welcoming home to grow and learn from, a good fantasy to fall in love with the sharp minded Characters.
great read!
Kristy
This was an amazing book. It gripped my attention and I could barely put it down. The only down side to the book was that it was slightly predictable. But other than the predictability it was amazing!
Allison
This was an awsome book I cant wait for the next one to come out. I recomend this to any one who likes things like harry potter and narnia ext.
Louisa
Great book, really complex, and I loved the characters being together, all their fights and such that lead to love!!!
Kathie
awesome book - very Lord-of-the-Rings-ish, but got a little sluggish during the battle segment which got a little long
Sara Schmidt
This one didn't tickle my fancy much. Overdone fantasy...dragons, fire, lightning .....glad it's over.
Kaytee
Great epic novel! The story is well written and the characters are unique and interesting!
Kat
May 18, 2011 Kat marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just added to my Kindle Wish List...sounds like it'll be a good read.
Dan
I'll give the auther credit for an interesting story . . .

. . . but that's it.

There is ZERO imagination in the writing. I felt like I was reading a high school writing assignment.

The book tries WAY too hard to be allegorically Christian.

There is implication that this is the first book in a series, but I'll never know for sure. I'm not going to be reading any more from this author.
Rachael
Okay book. Enjoyable, but the plot is very transparent... don't go into this one expecting a complex read. Also, apparently no one decided how to spell names. One of the main characters has at least two different spellings... Sometimes, the character development seems very shallow, and you can tell that the only motivation is to move the story forward.
Rebecca
In many ways it was good.But, although this may sound very strange, it was too religious for me. It ended up much about god, although he was called something else, and about faith. That part didn't work very well to me. But it was well-written and better edited than the average of much I've read lately.
Andy  Langford
At first I thought Render was a cat until I read further through.
Altho about half way through I predicted the finish, it was a different circumstance of finish yet same result.
Worth the read even if just to try to see how close your Tuesday the finish will be.
Maddison
I was sooooo tired of this book and sooooo ready for it to be over! I really don't recommend anyone to read it.
Marilynn Marvin
An excellent fantasy with an end-times bent. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and look forward to others by this author.
John Drew
I tried. I really tried, but this work is cluttered in text that I couldn't get into the story.
Phaedra Weldon
OMG... I absolutely loved this book. And I'll get a better review up soon as I can! LOL
Mary
A very good adventure for YA readers, the audience at whom it is aimed.
Diane Flack
Definitely written for young readers.
Gerlinde
the story line was different
Melinda Channell
Melinda Channell marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles #1)
  • Paskagankee (Paskagankee, #1)
  • Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)
  • Hollywood Stories: Short, Entertaining Anecdotes about the Stars and Legends of the Movies!
  • Blue
  • Voices of the Dead
  • A Touch of Magic
  • Murder Takes Time
  • The Trouble With Charlie (Elle Harrison, #1)
  • Dawning (Black Earth, #1)
  • The Minstrel's Tale
  • The Starry Child (Starry Child, #1)
  • Rex Cresting (Elei's Chronicles, #2)
  • Devil's Lair
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Treason (The Grimoire Saga, #2)
  • Attorney-Client Privilege
  • Charmeine (The Light-Bearer, #1)
From the Ashes Legend of the Tiger's Throne (A Digital Short) w/Preview for ONCE WE WERE KINGS Discovering Requirements Scenarios, Stories, Use Cases: Through the Systems Development Life-Cycle You Couldn't Make It Up (Memoirs of a Maddened Scientist)