Start by marking “The Happiness Makeover: How to Teach Yourself to Be Happy and Enjoy Every Day” as Want to Read:
The Happiness Makeover: How to Teach Yourself to Be Happy and Enjoy Every Day

The Happiness Makeover: How to Teach Yourself to Be Happy and Enjoy Every Day

We all want the things that we’re sure will make us happy—money, success, independence, love. But when we finally get them, we can find to our surprise that we are the same miserable, moody, or just neutral people we always were. Why is that? Is it us? Is our ability to be happy genetically programmed in us like the color of our eyes?

Luckily not. You can teach yourself to
Published May 10th 2005 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Happiness Makeover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happiness Makeover

Apr 25, 2008 Carissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
this is a short little book that i picked up at work. at one point during reading it, i realized that the book is largely composed of quotes and references to other books about happiness. my first thought was, what a mooch! she’s just re-hashing other people’s ideas and occasionally adding personal anecdotes. but the more i read it, the more i liked it. other books on happiness where the authors do their own research projects and write about them tend to bog down somewhere around 3/4 of the way ...more
May 19, 2014 Holly rated it liked it
I liked this book! I found it most useful to read a couple chapters a day or to pick it up when I was in a bad mood. The author does a great job of putting our lives, various situations, and happiness into perspective, and if you are like me and need reminders every once in a while, this book will definitely help! I plan on keeping this book around, rereading it for reflection, and hopefully sharing it with others who need a little happiness boost as well!
Dec 22, 2013 Sidney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can get more information on happiness from reading the scriptures and implementing this into my life than I could ever get from this book. By the way, I am a VERY HAPPY PERSON; I was just curious about the title!
Nov 08, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
First, I would like to thank Red Wheel/Weiser, LLC and goodreads for sending me a copy of this book as a First Reads giveaway winner.

This book could not have come at a better time! At the time that I won, I had recently learned about the passing of a close family friend, and was in such a fog/funk that I didn't even see the email that I had won a copy of the book. Then, one night I was scrolling through my unread emails (still in a daze) and saw the email from goodreads that I'd won. It really
Aug 24, 2016 JustJay rated it really liked it
A pretty quick read and provided some good lessons that I can definitely carry with me. It's a good little reminder for myself. However, I felt like some anecdotes she provided were unnecessary and some chapters too short. I did like the format of the book though. The first part asks questions while the second part gives advice on what you can actively do.
Jan 16, 2014 D rated it it was amazing
This upbeat and positive little book teaches that we are all responsible for our own happiness and there are ways to change the attitudes that become obstacles to happiness. There were some excellent strategies and ideas in this book and I will be referring back to it often, especially on those days when I might not be feeling as happy as I could. Highly recommended especially to anyone who wants to be happier!
Feb 26, 2016 Ivy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just average. It had everything you might expect in this type of book, but nothing spectacular. There are much better books on the subject.
May 30, 2011 Tamra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motivational
Great, great, great. Quick read and really good ideas. Of course there are some obvious statements, always are with these kinds of books. But it was good, and helpful. Because. . . Brace yourselves here . . . Sometimes I'm just not happy. Ahhhhhhh, I bet the shock you've experienced with with this confession is great. But I speak the truth. Not everyone is as happy as you, yes, you, the one reading this right now. Some of us have our own personal little hell, I mean struggles we move through fro ...more
Miche-Ala Woods
Jan 01, 2016 Miche-Ala Woods rated it really liked it
Great book to start the journey for a happier lifestyl
Bibliomanic Marley
Dec 11, 2011 Bibliomanic Marley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
The book was an easy read. It's good for those who are on the go and want something simple to get through, considering happiness is a very philosophical and psychological subject. It givees very nice quotes within each chapter and explains some meanings of happiness, activities that can boost your happiness, and why some people are afraid to be happy, as described in one chapter. Overall, a fairy nice and enjoyable read. M.J. Ryan gives nice concepts and stories on this matter, as well as in her ...more
The problem with this book is that

(1) It points out a lot of things people do to be unhappy and says change them, without offering any real ideas or techniques to do so

(2) Most of the good ideas it does offer, and quite a few of its major points, are quoted from other self help books.

I am sure I would have been better off reading one of the books she quoted instead of this one.
Feb 16, 2016 Colleen rated it liked it
Although there was nothing revolutionary about this book, it reminded me of things I know, but often choose not to acknowledge. The key lies not in the reading of the book, but what you do with the ideas afterward.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 17, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it liked it
Shelves: happiness, quest
Not a lot new here, nor does the author have a beautiful prose style, but still worth browsing. Some of my favorites are practicing gratefulness, reminding yourself that this is not the end of the story, and learning to think optimistically.

"To experience the 10,000 joys," the author quotes writer Jack Kornfield, "you must be willing to touch the 10,000 sorrows."

Sep 25, 2012 Jgfunk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts each chapter with a quote that's applicable. For example the chapter on finding your tribe has "There's no house like the house of belonging". The chapter "to touch the 10,000 Joys, be willing to Touch the 10,000 sorrows" has the quote "happiness would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness- Carl Jung.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This book was very good filled with great quotes, wisdom and ideas. Well worth the approx $5 that I paid for it at Barnes & Noble. I am very happy with the investment I made with this book - I shall reap the benefits for the rest of my life. Highly recommended!
Emily Mellow
Nov 18, 2008 Emily Mellow rated it it was amazing
This book is much less superficial than it's cringe-worthy title implies. It's basically saying "we can all be happier, here's why it's important and here are some ways to do it". There are so many people who could also benefit from reading this one!
Apr 28, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful little book! It is rooted in psychology, but is a light read. I liked it so much that I bought a copy so that I can always go back to it for reminders. I expect that different parts will jump out at me each time I read it.
Beth Anne
Mar 29, 2009 Beth Anne rated it liked it
Perhaps worth it to learn about the Buddhist concept of "mudita" or sympathetic joy. However, mostly it read like a crib sheet for an exam on happiness. Still, it made me feel happier when I read it, which is more than can be said for some books.
Kiersten Brown
Mar 06, 2011 Kiersten Brown rated it really liked it
A fun short read that is inspiring after a long day of work. It's always good to throw in a "happy" book amongst the serious ones. This one does the trick and will make you wake up smiling. A good refresher when one is needed.
Sep 04, 2008 Jessi rated it it was amazing
I keep this by my bedside for my early morning inspirational reading before I head out for the day. I loved this book so much that I bought it, and her other books.
Mar 21, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
Enjoyable bedtime reading with some helpful hints for hopeful happiness heroes. Some good points and in easily digested small chunks for the overwhelmed.
Jan 08, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
This book has flaws, but also some good reminders. Its not perfect but I enjoyed it. I'm glad it fell into my lap at the library. :)
Sep 05, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Not the deepest self-help book out there, but helpful in troubling times. Uplifting thoughts without having to over-think.
Christina Abruzzese dunn
I really enjoyed this little book. The collection of quotes and phrases placed in the right context can be very inspiring.
Nikka Calindas
Apr 26, 2013 Nikka Calindas rated it really liked it
Easy to read and understand. A great complimentary reading for those who are relentlessly pursuing happiness.
Oct 18, 2007 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Ever have a time when you need to get back on track, and conquer the dragons? This book will help you.
Celia Juliano
Apr 13, 2016 Celia Juliano rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Not a deep book, but helpful and quick snippets of chapters, easy to read during a busy day.
‎raihanah alfawzan
Jun 29, 2010 ‎raihanah alfawzan rated it it was amazing
I liked all the roads which lead to happiness .. be what you want .. And I believe it ..
Suzanne Parker
Aug 23, 2009 Suzanne Parker rated it it was amazing
Quick easy chapters with simiple reminders of how to claim happiness on a daily basis.
May 07, 2011 Sonyajohnston rated it it was amazing
A lot of good advice on concrete ways to start making yourself more happy.
  • You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective
  • Anxiety Handbook: The 7-Step Plan to Understand, Manage, and Overcome Anxiety
  • This Is Not the Life I Ordered: 50 Ways to Keep Your Head Above Water When Life Keeps Dragging You Down
  • In the Garden of Happiness
  • How to do Everything and Be Happy
  • The Mammoth Book of Tattoos
  • 1000 Tattoos
  • Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter
  • Tickle His Pickle!: Your Hands-On Guide to Penis Pleasing
  • The Wow Factor: Insider Style Secrets for Every Body and Every Budget
  • The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life
  • The Misleading Mind: How We Create Our Own Problems and How Buddhist Psychology Can Help Us Solve Them
  • Say Good Night to Insomnia: The Six-Week, Drug-Free Program Developed At Harvard Medical School
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • Permanence: Tattoo Portraits
  • Getting Real: 10 Truth Skills You Need to Live an Authentic Life
  • In Real Life: Searching for Connection in High-Tech Times
  • Food Addiction: The Body Knows
MJ Ryan is one of the creators of the New York Times bestselling Random Acts of Kindness series and the author of The Happiness Makeover (nominated for the 2005 Books for Better Living award in the Motivational category), Attitudes of Gratitude, The Power of Patience, Trusting Yourself, The Giving Heart, and 365 Health and Happiness Boosters, among other titles. Altogether, there are 1.75 million ...more
More about M.J. Ryan...