Start by marking “The Bishop Goes to the University (Blackie Ryan, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Bishop Goes to the University (Blackie Ryan, #15)

The Bishop Goes to the University (Blackie Ryan #15)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The irrepressible Bishop Blackwood Ryan returns as his Cardinal dispatches Blackie to The University on the South Side of Chicago to investigate a baffling locked-room mystery. Someone has assassinated a Russian Orthodox monk in his office at the Divinity School-despite the fact that the door of his office was bolted shut from the inside and no killer was found within.

Who
Published December 12th 2004 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Bishop Goes to the University, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bishop Goes to the University

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughThe Power and the Glory by Graham GreeneThe Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisLeaper by Geoffrey  Wood
Catholic Fiction
109th out of 312 books — 265 voters
The Shoulders of Giants by Jim CliffThe Black Hour by Lori Rader-DayHard Time by Sara ParetskyIndemnity Only by Sara ParetskyMissing Persons by Clare O'Donohue
Chicago Crime Fiction
86th out of 132 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Patricia
Same problem as with Nora Roberts. Characters are a little too cardboard, too perfect, too nice. The humor is a little self-satisfied. Lots of stereotypes. Same romantic scenarios over and over. The ecclesiastical setting is interesting, though, and Greeley has a lot of faith in the general goodness of most people (and thinks thugs are interestingly romantic figures). I prefer his Nuala Anne series, which is more clearly romantic fantasy at heart.
Donald Harwick
It was basically a good read. However, there was so much detail about the politics, and political machinations of the priesthood that the story became secondary and the book began to drag. The history of Catholicism in Europe is very interesting, but when the author interjected it the story stalled. Still, I would be willing to read it again, if just for the history.
Joanne
Mar 04, 2012 Joanne added it
As you can see looking at my book list, Andrew Greeley is one of my favorite authors. His Bishop Blackie mysteries always involve someone being killed in a locked-from-the-inside room. Maybe the plot is predictable, but it's a plot I enjoy. I also enjoy Bishop Blackie's wit, wisdom,and message that God really cares about each one of us.
Fredrick Danysh
Bishop Blackwood "Blackie" Ryan is tasked by the Cardinal to investigate a locked room mystery at the University of Chicago. A monk has been assassinated in his locked office and four professors who had been in the building become suspects. Intelligence agents from around the world converge on the case.
Rebecca
A really fun, educated mystery. I love how Bishop Blackie doesn't takes himself, his religion, or the church establishment too seriously but yet has a strong sense of faith. I hope to read more of Blackie this summer for relaxing fun.
Dolly
Oct 16, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Interesting mystery involving the Catholic church, the Russian Orthodoxy, and even the U.S. government. Crazy plot, interesting dialogue and characters. Not sure if I like his style, though; a little too boastful, I think.
Linda
Fun read. Bishop Blackie solves a locked room murder. The victim isn't who everyone thinks he is and involves the CIA and the Vatican. AND on top of everything else Blackie plays yente. Good bathtub book.
Rachel
When I read this book, I had no idea it was number 15 in a series, but I really liked the little Irish bishop who solves mysteries and will have to read more.
Dona
Good story, but I find that I can't follow some of the religious references. I've read other Andrew Greeley's before, but this one was hard for me.
Joyce McKune
Jul 13, 2010 Joyce McKune rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery buffs
Russian Orthodox monk is murdered in his office at "The University". Blackie solves the locked room mystery. A pleasant summer read.
Ruth
Mar 30, 2011 Ruth added it
Another goofy mystery starring Bishop Blackie Ryan. They are preposterous, but I love the Irish dialogue and the wit of Father Greeley.
Sheila  Summerhays
Blackie Ryan is an interesting Bishop, hilarious when he is the visiting instructor in the class of the Keen Dean.
Diane
Enjoyable for the character and dialogue of Bishop Blackie Ryan than for the mystery itself. Will search out others.
Fredrick
Well worth the time reading. Even better than the Father Dowling mysteries.
Lindy Duree
Not my favorite Father Greeley book. I do like the main character.
John
A fun read - stayed up way too late to finish it in one night.
Lanee
not as good as others;
Linda Watkins
Love Bishop Blackie!
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Gitta
Gitta marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • Love Finds You in Calico, California
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • Murder Goes Mumming
  • Publish & Perish (Ben Reese, #1)
  • Till the End of Tom (Amanda Pepper, #12)
  • The White House Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #4)
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Mrs. Malory: Detective in Residence
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
The Cardinal Sins Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)