Start by marking “The Bishop Goes to the University (Blackie Ryan, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Bishop Goes to the University (Blackie Ryan, #15)

The Bishop Goes to the University (Blackie Ryan #15)

The irrepressible Bishop Blackwood Ryan returns as his Cardinal dispatches Blackie to The University on the South Side of Chicago to investigate a baffling locked-room mystery. Someone has assassinated a Russian Orthodox monk in his office at the Divinity School-despite the fact that the door of his office was bolted shut from the inside and no killer was found within.

Who
Published December 12th 2004 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Bishop Goes to the University, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bishop Goes to the University

Joanne
Mar 04, 2012 Joanne added it
As you can see looking at my book list, Andrew Greeley is one of my favorite authors. His Bishop Blackie mysteries always involve someone being killed in a locked-from-the-inside room. Maybe the plot is predictable, but it's a plot I enjoy. I also enjoy Bishop Blackie's wit, wisdom,and message that God really cares about each one of us.
Ann
Dec 31, 2015 Ann rated it liked it
Ever since reading "The Cardinal" decades ago, I've been a fan of author Andrew Greeley. His books are always interesting reads, so when I want a reliable book, he is one of my go-to authors. I picked up several "Father Blackie" mysteries at a thrift store recently and this is the first I've read.

An interesting 'locked room' mystery, with lots of Roman Catholic/Russian Orthodox Catholic history thrown in.

Patricia
Feb 25, 2012 Patricia rated it it was ok
Same problem as with Nora Roberts. Characters are a little too cardboard, too perfect, too nice. The humor is a little self-satisfied. Lots of stereotypes. Same romantic scenarios over and over. The ecclesiastical setting is interesting, though, and Greeley has a lot of faith in the general goodness of most people (and thinks thugs are interestingly romantic figures). I prefer his Nuala Anne series, which is more clearly romantic fantasy at heart.
Carmen
Feb 21, 2015 Carmen rated it it was ok
I don't know if it's me, or the fact that I'm not Catholic, or that I haven't read the previous books in this series, but I just really didn't get this book. I remember reading another of this author's books years ago. I don't remember much about it except the vague idea that I liked it. So when I saw this book in a thrift store, I thought "why not?".

I almost gave up on this book several times, but then it would get interesting again, and I'd keep going. Overall, it was only ok.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 14, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing
Bishop Blackwood "Blackie" Ryan is tasked by the Cardinal to investigate a locked room mystery at the University of Chicago. A monk has been assassinated in his locked office and four professors who had been in the building become suspects. Intelligence agents from around the world converge on the case.
Donald Harwick
Aug 17, 2012 Donald Harwick rated it it was ok
It was basically a good read. However, there was so much detail about the politics, and political machinations of the priesthood that the story became secondary and the book began to drag. The history of Catholicism in Europe is very interesting, but when the author interjected it the story stalled. Still, I would be willing to read it again, if just for the history.
Dolly
Oct 16, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Interesting mystery involving the Catholic church, the Russian Orthodoxy, and even the U.S. government. Crazy plot, interesting dialogue and characters. Not sure if I like his style, though; a little too boastful, I think.
Linda
Jun 27, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. Bishop Blackie solves a locked room murder. The victim isn't who everyone thinks he is and involves the CIA and the Vatican. AND on top of everything else Blackie plays yente. Good bathtub book.
Rebecca
May 27, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A really fun, educated mystery. I love how Bishop Blackie doesn't takes himself, his religion, or the church establishment too seriously but yet has a strong sense of faith. I hope to read more of Blackie this summer for relaxing fun.
Ruth
Mar 30, 2011 Ruth added it
Another goofy mystery starring Bishop Blackie Ryan. They are preposterous, but I love the Irish dialogue and the wit of Father Greeley.
Sheila  Summerhays
Jun 06, 2011 Sheila Summerhays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blackie Ryan is an interesting Bishop, hilarious when he is the visiting instructor in the class of the Keen Dean.
Diane
Jan 15, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Enjoyable for the character and dialogue of Bishop Blackie Ryan than for the mystery itself. Will search out others.
Joyce McKune
Jul 13, 2010 Joyce McKune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery buffs
Russian Orthodox monk is murdered in his office at "The University". Blackie solves the locked room mystery. A pleasant summer read.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
When I read this book, I had no idea it was number 15 in a series, but I really liked the little Irish bishop who solves mysteries and will have to read more.
Dona
Jul 03, 2012 Dona rated it liked it
Good story, but I find that I can't follow some of the religious references. I've read other Andrew Greeley's before, but this one was hard for me.
Christine
Jan 25, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sll Blackie Ryan mysteries are a delight; this one's no exception. And, Greeley manages to sneak in a bit of a histoty lesson.
Mary Jane
Mary Jane rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Dennis
Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2009
AngelaGay Kinkead
AngelaGay Kinkead rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2008
Lisa S
Lisa S rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Samantha Hartke
Samantha Hartke rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Paul R. Worland
Paul R. Worland rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Jo Ann Curry
Jan 28, 2015 Jo Ann Curry rated it really liked it
Bishop Blackie- never lets me down. Very good mystery
Lisa Fedeli
Lisa Fedeli rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2014
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Kirk
Kirk rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Peter B
Peter B rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2008
Mbeyke
Mbeyke rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2008
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • Love Finds You in Calico, California
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
  • Last Kiss Goodbye
  • The Arrangement
  • Love Finds You in Deadwood, South Dakota
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Still as Death
  • Protection (A Forbidden Love, #2)
  • On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul, #1)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)
  • Madison Avenue Shoot (Murder, She Wrote, #31)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Blackie Ryan (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Happy Are the Meek (Blackie Ryan, #1)
  • Happy Are the Clean of Heart (Blackie Ryan, #2)
  • Happy Are Those Who Thirst for Justice (Blackie Ryan, #3)
  • Happy Are the Merciful (Blackie Ryan, #4)
  • Happy Are the Peacemakers (Blackie Ryan, #5)
  • Happy Are the Poor in Spirit (Blackie Ryan, #6)
  • Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan, #7)
  • Happy Are the Oppressed (Blackie Ryan, #8)
  • The Bishop at Sea (Blackie Ryan, #9)
  • The Bishop and the Three Kings (Blackie Ryan, #10)