Between You and Me

Between You and Me

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Quiet, reserved Daniel admits to being a "serial monogamist". He's holding out for a hero and waiting for his one and only. Someone who gets his jokes and has his back. Someone who's looking for forever.

Ian, Daniel's closest friend, is...not a monogamist. He lives his life to the fullest in a whirlwind of whiskey, celebration, and seduction, falling in love at least once...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Loose Id, LLC

Arthur
Two men in their thirties. One is an adventurer, a modern version of Indiana Jones, and the other is a small-city librarian. They have been best friends since college freshman. They know each other better than each knows himself. Would there be life together for them?

This is an interesting book. The whole book happens in the span of about 12 hrs, but it provides us enough backgrounds to understand the characters, and more importantly, why they need to assure each other. In that short span, they...more
MandyM
Nice friends-to-lovers romance about wanderer Ian realising he's in love with quiet librarian Daniel after many years of being best friends.

This novella takes place over just one day but it's full of descriptive and sometimes poetic prose and internal monologues. The prose is beautiful and evocative for the most part but occasionally verges on 'purple'. There are also a few similes (or metaphors - I can never remember which is which) which I found a bit OTT. Eg:

"What's that look? You're a mill...more
Vio
Daniel and Ian are more than interesting, hard to put my thoughts down. I enjoyed this so much its unusual. When Ian first discovers he is in love with Daniel, awe that moment is perfect, Daniel letting go of his fear and trusting his heart, believing that the relationship would work and their friendship would still be forever. I loved it, a truly touching romantic love story. I only wish that this was a full length novel maybe Willa will continue their story "Daniel accompanying Ian on one of h...more
Jj Nightsong
Cover: Not bad. Typical of Loose Id, with the guys at the top and a scene at the bottom. I like that these guys have clothes on.

MC's: Daniel, a librarian. Ian, an adventurer who travels the world seeking treasures for buyers. POV alternates third person between them.

There's a lot, a lot, of internal monologue going on here. In fact, it makes up most of the writing. Lots of thinking, reflecting, planning. And for me that got to be tedious. Also, it seemed like the author was trying very hard to...more
Jen
I really wanted to like this story, but it was a difficult read. It was hard to tell who was saying what at times and I found myself backtracking to see who started the conversation and the back and forth after that. I also didn't get a chance to bond with the characters as they were suddenly together. I think I would have preferred for the story to start before this point in time so that we could build the relationship between them first before attacking each other on the beach. A long sex scen...more
marcolette
I love the friends-to-lovers concept, so I was looking forward to this book. Sadly, I never connected. This is not how people talk to each other in real life. The prose was trying for lyrical, but it hit "tedious" for me instead. Perhaps other people will be swept up in it in a way I was not.

Also...extended sex on the bare beach in the rain in late summer? No thank you!
Tina
Wow - over 15 years of friendship distilled in about 85 pages. The writing was a bit too...I don't know, lyrical? for me. It was quite overdone in my opinion. However the chemistry and relationship between the two main characters was excellent and very believable. Well done and much enjoyed by me.
Chris
So-so m/m romance about two guys who've been best friends since college and now, in their mid-thirties, are starting to realize why neither of them have found "the one". This just never came together for me - the language was convoluted and the whole beach in the rain scenario... *shakes head*
Kira

Short, sweet and sandy.

Seriously. This was a nicely written story, the main characters were nice. The scenes were set nice and the inner monologues were great too.

But rolling around in wet sand all night having sex... One word: SAND.

I was so taken out of the scenes because I kept thinking "ow...ow...OW" all the time. The issue of sand was not mentioned once. If it was because the author didn't want the reader to notice the issue...not particularly successful technique.

Other than that, yeah, cut...more
Melora
★★★½ - Good, worth a reread.
(view spoiler)
Meggie
Simply said, this novella was special meaningful story, and I liked it, a lot. It was truly as the title stated, between Daniel and Ian. Their friendship was thoughtful and deep, their love real and eternal. I have to admit, a bit mushy, too. I have to say, truly well written novella.
Ingrid
There was a lot of internal monologue going on. Sex on the beach is eeeh fun but so messy and it rained. I dunno but rain means cold here. I did not get why they stayed in it, all night even. And Ian drove a convertible, doesn't it need covering up when it rains?
Rachel
OK read. I thought that the writing was way too over the top and too serious. Lots of rambling internal debate that was trying to be very poetic, like others have said in their reviews. I completely agree. It may work for some readers, but it didn't work for me.
Becky
I really didn't care for this one, which is a shame because the sample had a lot of promise. The whole story takes place over one night, on the beach, in the rain. Way too talky. Too much angst. And I kept losing track of whose POV we were in.
Kathleen
This would have been a really good 30 page short story. As is it was about 70 pages of unnecessary back and forth dialogue and some sex. I really like Ian and Daniel and really really wanted to like this story but it just fell short.
Lily
A nicely developed 'friends-to-lovers' type of story, delivered in quite an elegant style of writing. I very much liked both protagonists and was glad to see how their hearts and inner thoughts finally reached one another.
Lily
This story just never clicked for me. I've enjoyed many of Ms. Okati's previous stories but this was one was just an okay read for me.
MT
Sep 27, 2011 MT marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this one yet, but I enjoyed the little bits I scanned while formatting it, so it's hit my TBR pile already.
Gwendolyn
Sooooo slooooooow. Also sex on the beach is not sexy. Sex on the beach is sand getting into EVERY orifice and scratching.
Mouse
This book was bad. Cut half (or more) of the yakkedy-yak telling and actually get TO THE STORY. Blah. Waste of money.
Edina Rose
The writing style makes it difficult for me to follow the story. It may a good book, but I will never know.
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jamie
Jamie added it
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A multi-published author of GLBT erotic, romantic fiction since 2004, I love trying new things -- I have 1001 crazy ideas and want to write them all! I exist primarily on caffeine and pixels, take “camera shy” to a whole new level, and persist in trying to learn the pennywhistle despite being woefully tone-deaf. During the summer, I’m a wild woman with henna.

You can find me on the web here, at my...more
More about Willa Okati...
And Call Me in the Morning The Name of the Game Lovers, Dreamers and Me Tomcat Jones (Tomcat Jones, #1) In The Strangest Places (Strange Places, #1)