Start by marking “Send Me” as Want to Read:
Send Me

Send Me

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Patrick Ryan’s first work of fiction is written with such authority, grace, and wisdom, it might be the capstone of a distinguished literary career.

In the Florida of NASA launches, ranch houses, and sudden hurricanes, Teresa Kerrigan, ungrounded by two divorces, tries to hold her life together. But her ex-husbands linger in the background while her four children spin away
Published January 30th 2007 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Send Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Send Me

Brandon Will
This tear-your-heart-out novel-in-stories-of-sorts uses pinpointed moments over decades (each a short story that is strong enough on its own) to show a splattered portrait of a family, focusing on how the accumulating years are derived from all those before, perfectly displaying how people find themselves in lives they can't believe.

In the title story it is 1996 and Frankie is in his thirties and seeking information from a Preacher famed in art circles for his crudely rendered and completely si
Chris
Only so much (or little) can be said about the Kerrigans. Teresa, a young mother to Matt and Karen, is abandoned by her husband, Dermot, a local bad boy with mob family ties. Soon thereafter, she marries Roy, and they have two boys, Joseph and Frankie. Feeling suffocated, Roy eventually leaves Teresa (while Frankie is still a toddler) for Leona.

After Matt turns 18, he escapes to live with his cancer-stricken (biological) father in his final days. Karen follows in her mother's footsteps by dating
Christy
Despite my recent renunciation of the Best American Short Stories series, I do have to credit BASS with my introduction to Patrick Ryan. The year before last's edition featured his short story "So Much for Artemis," which I liked so much I read it twice.

Send Me is a short story collection, and all the stories are about the same family from "Artemis." The stories are set over a long span of time, between the sixties and the present-ish day. Every story is told by a different narrator. Some are to
Djrmel
This book is both Non-linear AND multi POV and yet it is one of the smoothest narratives I've read in years. This is a story of the craziness that holds a family together at the same time it tears it apart. At the heart is Theresa, twice married, twice abandoned. She tries to be the anchor for her four children, but they all have a need to go spinning off on their own. The question of nature vs. nurture came to my mind several times while reading this wonderful book - how did they all end up the ...more
Tal Goretsky
Sep 07, 2007 Tal Goretsky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This is an amazing novel, told from the POV of several members of the same family over the course of years, much like Cunningham's Flesh and Blood. It differs by being much lighter and funnier, while tackling similarly dark problems of the modern American family. The novel takes place on Merritt Island in Florida, an island that is wholly run by and populated by NASA employees. The themes of flight, fantasy, and searching for and/or being extra-terrestrials play out metaphorically through the ch ...more
Robin
This book was recommended by my nephew, who had shared it with his English Lit class. They all enjoyed it. I can imagine that they felt some cconnection to the characters. I didn't, but that is perhaps because this novel is very contemporary. It's about a woman and her two husband's that eventually leave her. She has two children by each marriage. All are very different. The two younger boys are both gay, and the youngest one is a fanatic about U.F.O.'s and how things will be different when he i ...more
Nancy Doerrer
A story about a very strange family.
The book is alternately funny, sad, weird and tragic.
FSU Alumni
Nov 03, 2014 FSU Alumni added it
Shelves: fsu-alumni
Patrick Ryan (B.A. '87)
Hansa Bergwall
In this excellent novel, a NASA photographer loses his job and goes a little crazy. The repercussions to him and his family linger over decades as kids grow up and screw up. I found I loved each character in this novel no matter how flawed. I would call it a dark literary investigation of the dark side of the American Dream. It is the most enjoyable thing I've read since discovering Roberto Bolano last year. I highly recommend it.
Dennis
"If she isn't there when he gets home from work, if she pulls into the driveway long after she should have started preparing dinner, he asks where she's been, but he doesn't press for more information when she responds, 'On a drive. The sky was so beautiful today...'"

"And there'll be no arguing with that, because it's true."

Accessible-5
Must Read-1
Important-1
Kept my Attention-3
Well-written-5
Kilean
A hard and sometimes bright look into an absurd, twisted and maybe even loving family. This novel gave me some deep belly laughs that made the sad bits even sadder. This writer's got a great voice and the more I think about the last chapter/section the more I like the book as a whole. If you're curious about hearing from a busted-up and multi-dysfunctional American family, this is a good place to listen.
Send Me is an easy, interesting read, full of flawed, dysfunctional-yet-lovable characters. It manages to jump backward and forward through time (the first chapter is set in 1996, the second in 1965...)without being frustrating or confusing. Certain parts made me laugh out loud and others made me cringe.

I won't say it's great, but I will say I'd read it again.
Ed
This is probably the best novel I've read in the last five years. If it seems a bit challenging at first, stick with it. None of the author's stylistic techniques are frivolous, as you'll see by the end, which is shattering. Like Lorrie Moore, old Margaret Atwood, Ethan Canin, and every author who's ever dazzled and moved you rolled into one. READ THIS BOOK!
Gregg
Assigned my freshmen a chapter from this novel for their exam. They liked it; I liked it; figured I'd give the entire novel a try. Glad I did. Very readable prose, accessible themes and ideas of functionality and identity presented. Nice circularity. I highly recommend it.
Katherine Spencer Inskeep
Part intriguing, part disturbing, part just plain odd...Reads like a series of short stories about Frankie and his 3 siblings who grow up and lead strange lives.
Stephanie
Recommended (not personally, but on the book jacket) by wonderful author Ann Patchett. A big disappointment. Read this if you like dysfunctional families with no soul.
Bob Smith
i read this book years ago and many of the scenes are still vivid. it's about a famiily and the writing is beautiful.
Dawn
Jan 01, 2009 Dawn added it
different, wasn't quite sure what the point was, but an insight into a family and how they all developed..
Noreen
This was one of our Sargent prize finalists last year.
Rosie
too weird ..couldnt even finish it.
-r-
I hated this so much I gave up on it.
Hannah
Dec 22, 2008 Hannah added it
AIDS, Florida, divorce, aliens.
Cupcakencorset
Loved this book!
Derek Boeckelmann
Derek Boeckelmann is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2015
Xavier Guillaume
Xavier Guillaume marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Morgan Tigerman
Morgan Tigerman marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Varecia
Varecia marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • The Awful Possibilities
  • Eustace Chisholm and the Works: A Novel
  • Skinned Alive
  • In the Absence of Men
  • 50 Reasons to Say Goodbye (50 Reasons, #1)
  • The House of Breath
  • Daddy's
  • This Will Go Down on Your Permanent Record
  • The Life to Come and Other Stories
  • How to Hold a Woman
P.E. Ryan also writes as Patrick Ryan.

Patrick Ryan was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Florida. His work has appeared in the Yale Review, the Iowa Review, One Story, and other journals. He lives in New York City.
More about P.E. Ryan...
Saints of Augustine Gemini Bites In Mike We Trust How I Won The War Shakespeare's Storybook: Folk Tales That Inspired the Bard