Stillwatch

Stillwatch

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  6,134 ratings  ·  156 reviews

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO COME..."

Slipped under the door of her Georgetown home, the note was an ominous reminder of Pat Traymore's past. The beautiful young television journalist had come to glamorous, high-powered Washington to produce a TV series. Her subject: Senator Abigail Jennings, slated for nomination as the first woman vice president of the United States.

With the help o

Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published March 1st 1986 by Dell (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Stillwatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stillwatch

Walt
My wife and a friend, Janice, from our third-Monday book club (we meet at Barnes and Noble) went to see Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter, Carol, speak at the high school recently. Subsequently, my wife bought this to read on her Kindle, so I decided to read it, too. I don't think I had ever read Mary Higgins Clark before. I probably won't read her again.

Pat Traymore is the protagonist, a newswoman with a new job in Washington D.C. Her parents had died violent deaths there when she was a chil...more
Maurean
I found this to be an entertaining mystery, and it has convinced me to try other MHC books in the future, but I don't know - based on this one novel - if I would classify her as the QUEEN of suspense (there are other contemporaries of hers that I enjoy just as much, certainly, if not more - Sandra Brown, Linda Fairstein, Heather Graham; all come immediately to mind). But, that's being really nit-picky, isn't it?! The storyline was intriguing, the characters were sympathetic, and it kept me turni...more
Elizabeth Pendleton
Stillwatch is one of my favorite books. The early books from Mary Higgins Clark were always well written and interesting, and Stillwatch was no exception.

During Camelot (The Kennedy years for those of you going..huh?), there was a young and attractive Senator, his beautiful wife and little daughter. They appeared to have the world at their feet, until the unthinkable happened, and two parents died in a scandal, their little girl broken and expected to follow them to the grave.

Years later, an i...more
Beverly Johnson
Jul 28, 2014 Beverly Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like romance/suspense
Great read! Mary has done it again!

Mary Higgins Clark has done it again! "Stillwatch" is a novel that focuses on the life of Patricia Traymore . Pat is hired to put together a documentary on Congresswoman Abbigail Jennings. Pat moves into the home of her birth parents and is looking through her father's information to find out more about them. Pat barely gets settled into the house when she receives a threatening note written..."I told you not to come." Pat literally ignores the note and begin...more
Connie
This was about Pat Traymore and how she was doing an expose on Abigail Jennings a Senator who was looking to be vice-president. Pat had something from her past that she was trying to remember and it was related to what She was doing the expose on. It was not hard to figure out who the bad guy was, but I really enjoyed this book.
Laurie D'ghent
A perfect example of why I love Mary Higgins Clark--no sex, very little swearing, an intriguing plot line without being evil or mess-your-pants material, antagonists that you can actually see a little of yourself in. Perfect.
Debbie Heaton
In Clark’s mystery suspense novel, journalist Pat Traymore moved to Washington to produce a TV series surrounding Senator Abigail Jennings, destined to be the first woman vice president of the United States. Teaming with Congressman Sam Kingsley, Pat delves into the senator’s background only to find dark secrets that could easily destroy her up-and-coming career. But more sinister are the connections Pat stumbles across that appear to be connected to her own childhood nightmare.

Chilling…you can’...more
Fuglsang
Feb 01, 2011 Fuglsang rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who prefer an easy read and who don't mind flat characters
Not quite bad but not quite good either. Sure, it was a fun read, at least the last third of it, but it just lacked something. Come to think of it - that's pretty much how all Clark's books are.

The characters lack some quirks and some spirit. They're not really that unique and they're certainly not gonna stay with me for a very long time, as is the case with all her books. I'm pretty certain I'm gonna forget what the book was all about in a while. Also, calling Clark's 'The Queen of Suspense' se...more
Eustacia Tan
This book, while it isn't mind-blowing, is interesting enough that I read it in one sitting (thankfully, I finished studying for the day)

The premise is interesting: it starts with Patricia Traymore (apparently this is part of a series), as she moves to Washington D.C to do a documentary on a potential female Vice-President: Congresswomen Abigail Jennings. However, while it takes place (the novel spans one week), she receives threats that escalate in nature.

This book is genuinely exciting. It re...more
Shelley
I see most people gave this novel a 3 for "liked it". I can't say that I "liked it", so it had to be a 2 for "it was ok" because it was nothing but ok, actually it was pretty disappointed. It's been awhile since I've read a MHC, maybe I've moved on or maybe this was one of her weakest ones?

The story line was good, but the writing and the characters just didn't do it. When MHC was describing people who had money, I noticed they were all beautiful, but when she was describing people who didn't, n...more
Sharon Mathews
Stillwatch (Mary Higgins Clark)- Pat Traymore is known for her documentaries. Her success in them has landed her a new job- a tv series focused on important women. Her first assignment is over Senator Abigail Jennings, and she's anxious to start.

Ah, Washington. The hustle, the bustle, and the scandals. With threats coming in over her program over Jennings, and the terrors of her past arising, it'll be a miracle if she makes it out alive.

Let me start off by saying that Mary Higgins Clark is a fa...more
2brian7009
Dec 02, 2011 2brian7009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book a couple of days ago. I brought to bed with me beacause I had nothing else to read. I decided to give it a chance because my mom amd sister say this author is really good. So far from what I read I know that there is a journalist that is moving into an old house that she use to live in when she was younger. It just so happens this also the house that her parents died in. She recieves a disturbing phone call at her work from someone she can't decribe. The person on th...more
Rebecca
Not as good as other Mary Higgins Clark books I have read. The plot just seemed to be lacking something and didn't really move in places. The end was also a little lack lustre. However Mary Higgins Clark's writing is far superior to many, in my opinion, and therefore I still give it 4 stars as a worthy read.
Kim
The story starts with Pat Traymouth moving to Washington to start a new series of documentaries on women in politics. She moves into the house that was once her home when she was little. She wants to try and relive the night that her mother and father were killed. She was not suppose to live through that night, but she did and she was raised by her aunt. Now at the age of 27 she is determined to fill in the blanks. She doesn't know what she is up against. She receives threatening phone calls and...more
Vanessa

If you pick this book apart from a literary or grammatical standpoint, you could probably find things wrong with it that I don't give a fig about. I started this yesterday morning, and couldn't go to bed without finishing it. This book was just fun to read. There were plenty of twists and turns to keep me on the edge, and it managed to create an entertaining, but not too complicated, picture of Washington D.C.

I've always loved Mary Higgins Clark; she was called the Queen of Suspense before writ...more
Bonnie Gleckler Clark
Our main character, Pat Traymore, a talented young television journalist, is about to break into the high-powered world of Washington, D.C., politics. She is to do an in-depth interview with vice presidential hopeful, Senator Abigail Winslow. She moves into a house where she lived as a child and where her father murdered her mother and attempted to kill her. She wants to face the past and, with the help of a psychic neighbor, Lila Thatcher, find some answers about this tragic event. In the meant...more
Lybo Buchanan
This was the first of Mary Higgins Clark's books I read. I wrote in the margin of the book "Excellent". I have since read about 20 more, and have enjoyed them all.
Melissa
I really enjoyed the writing style Mrs. Higgins Clark used throughout this book. I also liked the use of the Kennedys and Watergate throughout.
Barbara
An old Mary Higgins Clark book published in 1984. Set in Waschington it points out what we all know so well: the more things change, the more they stay the same. Politics don't change much, just the faces. This thriller keeps you turning pages long into the night. You think you have it figured out when a new twist changes that.

Interesting side note: When I took this book off of the shelf I discovered that it had belonged to a friend of Navarro County and Texas...."Mrs. Aurhter Keeney" was stampe...more
Benjamin Thomas
I enjoyed reading this novel, mainly for the way in which the author intertwined the different subplots. There is quite a mystery involved, as well, as we try to uncover the background of the protagonist and how it ties in with the rest of the main plot. I found myself caring for what happened to the characters, a definite plus when evaluating a novel. The only thing I have to complain about was that the bad guy was more or less identified quite far from the end, making the ending somewhat anti-...more
Ruth
Dreiging uit het Verleden
Cyrine
A typical Clark thriller.
Andy Plonka
A little dated and predictable, but entertaining enough to make you want to finish it.
Mandy
A good page-turner of a book. It really keeps moving from the first page to the last with quite a few twists and turns on the way.
A number of different plots finding a solution right at the end of the final pages. What more can I ask?
To explain the plot would spoil the ending for any wishing to read this for themselves. This copy was a lucky find in a charity shop. If you find a copy for yourself, just enjoy the ride.
Christy
I admit I didn't have high expectations for this book, as it was given to me as a way to pass some of my time between college graduation and finding a job. However, I was pleasantly surprised. While I wasn't overwhelmed with the writing- some of it was a bit trite, I found the plot to be pretty intriguing. I finished the book within two days; so it didn't pass too much of my time, but it definitely kept me entertained.
Angela
I love MHC books because they are such a good read. This is one of her earlier books and it's still good. I usually can guess the finish towards the end of the book, but this one tricked me.

You will see that not all my MHC reviews will be in depth as there's not much to say, and I would be repeating myself. But if you like the good ol who done it with a touch of romance thrown in then this is the book for you.
Linda
This is one of Mary Higgins Clarks older novels and I must say I had a hard time with it. While the premise was interesting enough with the main character, a television journalist, moving into her old childhood home, and starting a new project, interviewing a powerful female senator who has a shot at being the next VP, the story seemed very dated to me and didn't keep my attention the way other novels have.
I've read several MHC books over the years, and these past few recent works have become quite predictable. I like her style of writing and will often read one of her books after having read something a bit weightier. Having read most of her latest books; I had decided to read some of her older works and have actually enjoyed them much more than some of the newer ones.
Julie
Classic Mary Higgins Clark. I got about half-way through, then was up until midnight finishing it. (I've been up far later on far more consequential nights with her books.) The professional heroine, with a traumatic tragedy in her past, comes home to take a wonderful job and recover memories of her past and things deteriorate from there. Love this lady's books.

• Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #6)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Little Tiny Teeth (Gideon Oliver, #14)
Mary Theresa Eleanor Higgins Clark Conheeney, best known as Mary Higgins Clark, (b December 24, 1927 in the Bronx, New York) is an American author of suspense novels. Each of her twenty-four suspense novels has been a bestseller in the United States and various European countries, and all of her novels remain in print as of 2007, with her debut suspense novel, Where Are The Children, in its sevent...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...
Where Are the Children? Loves Music, Loves to Dance Two Little Girls in Blue All Around the Town While My Pretty One Sleeps

“other’s worlds—and then the clash” 0 likes