Celebrity in Death (In Death, #34)

Celebrity in Death (In Death #34)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  10,707 ratings  ·  868 reviews
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is no party girl, but she's managing to have a good time at the celebrity-packed bash celebrating 'The Icove Agenda', a film based on one of her cases. What comes as a surprise however is seeing the actress who plays Peabody drowned in the pool on the roof of the director's luxury building.
Published February 21st 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrity in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrity in Death

Can't Wait Books of 2012
127th out of 2,499 books — 15,920 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInsurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareGone Girl by Gillian FlynnPandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books of 2012
85th out of 3,002 books — 9,215 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
A very good installment in the Death series. Eve is completely authentic as a tough police woman, but I like that Roarke sees her in a more intimate way as his wife. Yet he embraces her as a strong woman and stands by her side. That's a good man! The mystery was good, although it did drag a bit towards the end. Still, it was an excellent book despite that fact.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur in the February 2012 issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Follows previous molds.
Rating NC-17 for a few sexual scenes.
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Really Good
Characters: Well written as always
Plot: Was interesting.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes, definitely
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: Julian

SUMMARY (50 word or less)

J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) wrote another stellar tale in the Eve Dallas series (in Death series). This story was intended to be less heavy than the last and a slightly more than average case. I wasn’t blow away by i...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
As I’ve talked about many times before on the blog, the In Death books are my all time favorite series. The newest installment, Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb, is no exception! It releases today, and fans of the series should definitely expect an awesome addition to Eve & Roarke’s adventures.

Now, as long time fans know, these books are oftentimes pretty much the same. I obviously don’t mean that as an insult – I just mean that we basically know what to expect by now. J.D. Robb definitely ga...more
Dianne
I never knew how much I looked forward to the chase scenes, shootings, stabbing and all the other excitement that permeated these books, until I read this one. I never thought I would find myself saying that an Eve Dallas book could be boring, but this one was.

Eve, Roarke and Dehlia have been invited to the party that is celebrating the the movie (vid) "The Icove Agenda". While there, nasty words are exchanged between the actress playing Peabody and almost everyone who is at the party. Naturally...more
Lady Lioness
I'm glad I re-read Origin in Death before Celebrity in Death. It probably wasn't strictly necessary, but having the details fresh in my mind added on an extra layer of fun for me. Anywho, I practically stood on the front porch waiting for the UPS guy and promptly devoured the book in about two hours. Probably going to re-read parts before bed.

So what to tell you? Well, the person I thought did it didn't, Eve gets another mag coat, and there are some terrific Peabody/McNab moments. Nadine also g...more
Trisha
I seem to be in the minority on my opinion of this book. I'm a huge fan of Nora Roberts and the In Death series. Huge. But I felt this installment was lacking. There was no action at all and little emotion. Maybe I'm just getting bored with the series, but I was disappointed. I judge a book by how easy it is to put it down and it took me 3 days to read it when normally I get through an In Death in less than a day.
Kristi
So many times authors start off a series with a really well-developed set of characters and a great plot idea, but over time the author seems to forget that people (whether fictional or real) are changed by the events that occur. It becomes increasing frustrating to the faithful series reader, and they become bored when the author fails to allow the characters to change and grow over time.

JD Robb's readers keep coming back for more, because the characters remain the heart of the In Death series...more
Claire
Bigd_041555
Okay, I know that every book after NY2D is anticlimatic, but I did enjoy this one. A very different twist/story line and isn't that what it's all about?

Some good banter between Peabody and Eve - and we learn about Peabody's new pink cowboy boots!!!

Nadine plays a bigger role not only as Eve's friend but a very good investigative reporter and interviewer - really liked her role in that.

This was the second time I've read the book and I had forgotten so much about it including who the killer was, so...more
Ren
4,5 stars

While I (almost)sad to see Roarke's scene become less than New York to Dallas, I enjoy Eve and Peabody partnership here. Also, finally the investigation back to basic (like guess who's the real culprit are).

At last, Roarke never do me wrong. I guess, I will always smitten by him, and all my friend already tired to hear I'm gushing after him everyday ;)
Holly
I really enjoyed this installment. My favorite books are the ones were Eve and Roarke are at odds, and though that wasn't the case here I found the case interesting and the usual cast of characters engaging. There was quite a bit of humor laced throughout. The whodunit was pretty easy to figure out but I enjoy watching Eve puzzle her way through the evidence.

Heather
I love this series. We know this. These characters are charming, witty and marvelous to spend time with. I very much wish that I wasn't now caught up with the series, as now I'm left with no more books to dive into (for now).

With that being said, I have to honestly say this was one of the books in the series I've liked least, possibly the worst for me. I have enjoyed Eve mellowing out over the series, but still retaining her bitchy core. BUT, some of the things that are being played out for all...more
Estara
Apr 28, 2012 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy series
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
I really enjoyed this outing. It was far less dark than when Eve has to run after active serial killers with special m.o.s - (view spoiler).

What was the most fun was that because of the plot - Eve being confronted with a movie team making a movie out of Nadine Furst's book about the Icove clone case - she met all those actors...more
Debbie
Reporter Nadine Furst and friend of Eve wrote a book about the Icove case and now has caught the attention of the big screen movie moguls who’ve made it into a major motion picture production, near the end of filming it’s decided that a grand party is due and of course the people who inspired the real life case have to be there too, which means that Eve and Peabody are in attendance when a death occurs. It at first appears perhaps accidental but soon becomes a murder investigation which turns in...more
Anne OK
Another fun and rock solid installment to the In Death series. Don't know how she does it, but J.D. Robb keeps the momentum going in this one. The crime, though not as action-packed or dark and gruesome as some have been, held my attention and was skillfully crafted. Enjoyment is always the case when Lt. Dallas and her gang of cops take on the bad guys. And this time around, the book was worth reading just to learn the location of Eve's latest hidey hole for her candy stash and celebrity nicknam...more
Kjen
Another amazing installment of my favorite series!! It was an interesting case with an interesting twist on the murderer. Celebrity was quite a bit lighter than the previous NYTD, but didn't we all need that? Didn't Eve and Roarke need that? Yes, on both counts. Lots of very sweet E&R moments...very much loved the "coffee discussion" and the beginning of Chapter 18...hell, make that the whole chapter, was nothing short of awesome. I also loved the continuity of the coats:)Enjoy!

9/15/12 Start...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

I enjoyed this addition to the In Death series. It wasn't spectacular but it was enjoyable. The most notable thing about this version is that this is the abridged audiobook and I thought they did a pretty good job of keeping the story cohesive and interesting. Ms. Erickson does a good job narrating these books. I've listened to her once before and appreciated her ability to seamlessly move from male to female voices and different accents.
Susan Williams
I have read all of J. D. Robb's books. I have enjoyed them all. However, I could swear this
is a rehash of an earlier book, with different characters, setting, and plot. I guess when you
write as much as she does, it is hard to come up with a completely new story.
I also missed Roark and her being at odds with each other. There was no disagreement between
them, and for me that is one of my favorite parts of her stories.
Cecilyn P.
Again, not a favorite, but good. It wasn't nearly as intense as some of her others. I guess I can't expect them to ~all~ be like that. :-)
Carol
One of her best in one of my favorite series. The series had started to get a bit formulaic, but the last two have broken pattern and been excellent. For me as always the best part is the growing relationships. I want an auto-chef and a maid droid.
Genine Franklin-Clark

Books in this series are reliably good reads. Good writing, plots, characterization, no typos, grammatical errors or oddly spelled words.

She may write a book a day, but damn, she does it well.
Saly
I didn't enjoy the last In Death book, this one worked well for me. I loved the suspense, it was OMG I didn't expect that and I also enjoyed Eve and Roarke and Peabody. A very nice installment.
Bonnie
The funny story about Celebrity in Death: I remembered to get on the waiting list at the library before the book came out. I was so proud of myself. My arrival notice came ... and I had signed up for the audio book. Sigh. Then, after I got back at the end of the list for a real book, my arrival notice came while I was in Arizona on vacation. Sigh again. But I managed to get it and it was worth the hassle. While I have to admit I won't have any great sorrow if and when the series finally ends (it...more
Megan
A decent but unexceptional installment. It was a nice change of pace, kind of a breather, after the upfront emotional turmoil and extra-suspenseful case of the previous book (New York to Dallas), and it was nice to be back with the extended cast, but I still prefer the more breathlessly exciting stories of the series. And it was tough suspending my disbelief about the movie being made of Nadine's book about the Icove case (like, that for cinematic purposes McNab would be a main cast member and t...more
Barb Lie
Celebrity in Death by JD Robb – a Review

Celebrity in Death by JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts), is the 34th book in the In Death series. There are also at least 10 novellas in this series, which would bring the count into the 40’s of stories about our beloved Eve & Roarke. But 40 something books later, I still can’t get enough of this series.

Celebrity in Death is another excellent book, and the premise of this story revolves around a movie being made from an earlier case of Eve’s….The Icove Case....more
Tinnean
I've been reading Dallas/Roarke almost since they first put in an appearance in paperack at my local Waldenbooks, and I have most of the books. But now they come out in hardcover first, and let's face it, in today's economy, $27.95 is a good chunk of change even if the author is pretty much guaranteed. I didn't care for the last In Death book, New York to Dallas, so for me she's no longer a sure thing. (I may need to give it another try, since I hate giving up on a book.)

Can you believe this is...more
Lisa
Celebrity In Death is much less emotional than New York to Dallas was. Eve is beginning to deal with what happened though she is having very lucid dreams and Roarke is also starting to cope with the aftermath. They are both being careful with one another so while there is interaction that is solely Roarke and Eve, it is not the main focus of this story. For me this book got back to the nitty girtty of solving the crime, much more about the process. There is a lot of interview time with witnesses...more
Once Upon
A total fan of the series, you have murder, mystery and Roarke, what more can yo ask for?
Force to attend a celebration party for the movie being filmed, about the high profile case solved by Eve and Peabody previously, she finds herself as usual out of her comfort in high heels and elegantly dressed. The party is disrupted, when to her relief, she is back doing what she does best, being a cop and investigating crimes. The actress that plays the part of Peabody is found dead in the roof pool of t...more
Darcy
This was a fun one mostly because Eve and the gang were able to poke fun at themselves through the people that played them as characters in a movie. It seemed like Eve and Peabody were always discussing themselves and their counter parts, the good and the bad, the bad being more fun.

I also really liked this one because it seemed like most of the secondary characters showed up. Granted some of them not for long, but it is always great to see them.

Figuring out the killer threw me off. The person...more
Kathy Davie
Thirty-fourth in the In Death futuristic romantic suspense series revolving around Eve Dallas and Roarke...yum… This one is about the Icove case being made into a movie.

My Take
It was good. I also think of it as a bridge novel in that it carries on from Nadine having written the true crime book about the Icove case (see Origin in Death and we are in on the shenanigans behind filming the movie. We still have its world premiere coming up---hence my designation as a bridge.

Could be the kiss of deat...more
J.D. Robb : Celebrity In Death (Spoiler Zone) 89 75 Jan 23, 2014 12:54PM
new release 10 96 Oct 07, 2013 05:30AM
Readers of Kindle...: Celebrity in Death #34 2 22 Feb 22, 2012 01:45PM
  • The Witness
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Canyons of Night (Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; The Arcane Society, #12; Harmony, #8)
  • Sleep No More (Eve Duncan, #15)
  • Fatal Consequences (Fatal, #3)
  • Copper Beach (Dark Legacy, #1)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid #2)
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6 )
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #2)
  • Just Jory (A Matter of Time #5.5)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline....more
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“if somebody doesn't call me a bitch once a day, I figure I'm not doing my job.” 38 likes
“Hey. Hands off.” ",
"“Please. Please, please, soooo pretty. Lemme just have one little touch.”
"“Peabody, isn’t it embarrassing enough you’re wearing pink cowboy boots, again, without standing here drooling on my coat?”", [J.D. Robb, Celebrity In Death]”
19 likes