Start by marking “Shalimar” as Want to Read:
Shalimar

Shalimar

Set in the late 19th century, in the remote northern outreaches of the British Indian empire, Shalimar is an epic love story set amidst the lush Kashmir mountains and the intrigue of the Great Game. Emma Wyncliffe is a disaffected, 23- year-old British woman living with her family in Dehli. She is fiercely independent, willful, and intelligent. It is not until her younger ...more
Published February 25th 2000 by St Martin's Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Shalimar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shalimar

Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 19C india
Shalimar begins in 1890 shortly after the death of Emma Wyncliffe's father, who was found frozen on a glacier high in the Himalayas during an archeological expedition that went tragically awry. The Wyncliffe's are left with little funds and Emma's brother David in the throes of gambling bets and loses the family home to the mysterious Damien Granville. For reasons of his own, Damien offers to void the gambling debt if Emma will marry him and live at Shalimar, his estate in the Vale of Kashmir.

A
Hannah
Oct 21, 2009 Hannah rated it liked it
Reading as part mystery, part spy novel, and part historical fiction, Shalimar has a lovely, old-fashioned feel to it, even though it is only a decade old. Ryman brings to vivid descriptive detail the late 19th century intrigues of the "Great Game"; a quest for land and trading routes in the beautiful land of Kashmir between the Russian, British and Chinese empires.

Replete with a large cast of characters and ever changing POV's, Shalimar isn't an easy book to read and understand. Many of the sto
May 27, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura by: Misfit
Shelves: hf-india, read-2011
WHAT A BOOK, I'm still breathing hard since you really must keep your breath in the last 100 pages. What else should I say about this book? It's a mixture of historical fiction, romance and espionage settled in the 19th Century Kashimir. The plot is about the search of the Yasmina Pass and its chase between Russia, Great Britain and China.

For more information about Kashimir's region, take a look at :

By the way, ther
Fareeha
In the tempo of MM Kaye's Death in Kashmir and the Scarlet Pimpernel, it's an good fun read. Wonderfully presented historically and geographically, it's a well written adventure tale which only loses its tempo near the very end and hence lost 1 star for me. (I also 'figured' out the story midway through the book). To a historical fiction fan of the subcontinent British era, I've found it very rich and correct in its history and geographically it's set in one of the most beautiful and spectacular ...more
Marg
Mar 18, 2012 Marg rated it really liked it
4.5

Sheziss
La novela arranca con un hecho crucial: un comerciante musulmán, viajando en una caravana, es asesinado en la Ruta de la Seda y sus papeles, perdidos misteriosamente. Este incidente repercute en la trama entera, el mercader musulmán al final resulta no serlo: en realidad es un consumado espía británico sospechoso de llevar una información de vital importancia: el paso del Yasmina.

De forma paralela, transcurre una historia totalmente opuesta: Emma Wyncliffe, una joven independiente, libre y con i
♥Xeni♥
Nov 13, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!!!
Shelves: historical, favorites
I can NOT believe that I found this book again. It was the one and only English book that interested me (from the VERY small collection) that the library in my part of Hamburg had. I read it twice in a row, because I loved this novel so much!

From what I remember, it was a very Scarlett Pimpernel-esque type book, and yet had much more depth to it. If I could find it in the library again, I'd probably steal it, it was that amazing!

I loved the setting, the characters and the plot, which twisted its
Rachel Crawford
I really enjoyed losing myself in a different landscape for a while. Ryman paints India as a beautiful country full of culture and wonderous personality (which of course it is). The backdrop of the Russian/British battle for control of the mountains made for a very interesting ride, and of course the love expressed at the end gave me the warm fuzzies which I will never grow tired of getting from a book like this.
Peg
Dec 19, 2009 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peg by: goodreads friends
from book jacket "set in late nineteenth century in remote northern outreaches of the British Indian empire, Shalimar is a love story that unfolds among lush Kashmir mountains amid the intrigue of ...the diplomatic and military struggle between Britain and other nations for contol of lucrative trade and territory."

I found the political and military sections of the book too drawn out.
Same story could have been told in much fewer words.
L F
Nov 13, 2014 L F rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Should have been a much better book. It started out with a head of steam, a real page turner. Then it peaked and headed downhill. She abandons the love story. She then lengthens the war conflict by using rarely used words to help plump up her sentences. Clearly, the historic part of the book is where her interests lie, for it is well researched.
Hirondelle
Aug 13, 2008 Hirondelle rated it really liked it
A modern well written, old fashioned type of womens adventure, of the type MM Kaye would have written if she had had the time for more. Wonderfully atmospheric, a lovely subtle relationship, and the cozyness of that type of oldfashioned storytelling ( but with nothing for the mind to scream an objection at). I loved it. Unfortunately, this seems to have been the authors last published work. ...more
Liz Bonnet
A tale of love, strength and deception that takes place in the late nineteenth century in the British Indian empire of Kashmir. An engrossing story set along India's fabled Silk Road of a woman's search for truth and love. Well written!
 Sue❊
didn't love it, too many characters
Arefeh
Dec 11, 2010 Arefeh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it. Great insight into the indian culture, along with mystery and romance.
Rinalia
Nov 16, 2015 Rinalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the book twice by now and both times I could not put it down. I stayed up all night and had to finish. The story draws you in, unexpected turn of events... It's in my top 5
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
"Ah, that dress sets off your blue-green eyes!" <-- An actual line from this book.

The writing is not up to par and I couldn't take it seriously.
Antonia
Antonia rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Cristina
Cristina rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Hafiza
Hafiza rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Andreea
Andreea rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2010
Kpartha
Kpartha rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2010
Paloma
Paloma rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Desiree
Desiree rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2009
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2011
Leah
Aug 05, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great entertainment. Just enough romance, mystery and culture!
A. Martín
A. Martín rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Chika
Chika rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Zemindar
  • The Morning Gift
  • El Juez de Egipto
  • Oscar Wilde and the Vampire Murders (Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Fool's Masquerade
  • Le Fantôme de la rue Royale
  • A Singular Hostage
  • Trade Wind
  • The Wild Hunt (Ravenstow Trilogy #1)
  • Loveholic, Volume 02
  • Omamori
  • The Mulberry Empire
  • Cave canem (Publio Aurelio Stazio #3)
  • Twinkle Stars, Tome 4
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 10
Rebecca Ryman is the pen name of an Indian writer, Asha Bhanjdeo, who only wrote three books under this name: Olivia & Jai, The Veil of Illusions (the sequel of Olivia & Jai) and Shalimar. She died in Calcutta in 2003.
More about Rebecca Ryman...